The discovery thread!
Dec 17, 2018 at 5:29 AM Post #40,801 of 100,720
Just demoed the Massdrop HD6XX, paired with my Dragonfly Black.

This really makes me question if my next buy should be a open back headphone, or an IEM.

Vocals on these are so immensely realistic, treble is laid back - but more detailed than my Toneking T88k's ( quite a step up in terms of micro details actually ).

Not going to compare soundstage, as it wouldnt be fair.

I'm really feeling that the technical performance of my high end IEM's is lackluster compared to these.

Do you aqcuire IEM's for portability, or am I not seeing something that I should?

Kind of funny to be reading this because it used to be conventional wisdom, but IEMs have become such a giant portion of the headphone world over the past 10 years it makes sense that nobody takes it for granted anymore.

IMO such a different listening experience it's almost unfair to compare them, especially because over-ear headphones let you use your outer-ear which is so important to hearing - also no offense to Toneking but you are comparing them to 6xx/hd650, widely considered as one of the best headphones ever made.

Personally I am mainly an IEM and earbud listener- isolation, portability & size are big reasons for that, but I think IEM listening also has its own character to appreciate - especially if you are considering them in relation to portable, closed-back headphones which lose some of the advantages of full-size cans. But, if you have the space & cash & time to listen non-portable probably wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up a 6xx and a proper desktop amp instead of an expensive IEM some time.

Dec 17, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #40,803 of 100,720
Some serious props to Penon folks. Not only did they send a nice Christmas card. But they sent me a email saying they are upgrading my recent IT01s purchase to DHL so I can get it before Christmas.

This my friends separates Penon from every other seller of audio goods on the nets from China.

Hell yeah.

I just received my Whizzer's.
Got a christmas card, and a penon scarf.

Damn, this service is next level :)

Attachments

• 20181217_171857.jpg
    20181217_171857.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Dec 17, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #40,804 of 100,720
Some serious props to Penon folks. Not only did they send a nice Christmas card. But they sent me a email saying they are upgrading my recent IT01s purchase to DHL so I can get it before Christmas.

This my friends separates Penon from every other seller of audio goods on the nets from China.

This is actually a reason I would hesitate to buy directly from Penon. An upgrade to DHL could end up being costly for us... DHL handling fees and likelihood of incurring import fees.

Dec 17, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #40,805 of 100,720
DHL costs insane money in Canada. I was going to order a cable from China and the DHL shipping cost was more than double the cost of the cable. In general UPS is the worst, then DHL, then FedEx. Generally I can only afford over seas using Canada Post.

Dec 17, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #40,806 of 100,720
DHL costs insane money in Canada. I was going to order a cable from China and the DHL shipping cost was more than double the cost of the cable. In general UPS is the worst, then DHL, then FedEx. Generally I can only afford over seas using Canada Post.

Not only are the shipping fees insane, but they conveniently charge "customs" fees of 17-23 CAD very consistently, regardless of the cost of the item. Great if it's something really expensive, not so great when it's a 15 CAD earphone. The guy that makes all my deliveries also refuses to come into the building and deliver. You know. His job. I have to meet him in the parking lot or he'll say I wasn't home and I have to drive 30 minutes across town the following day to get my package. DHL is garbage.

Dec 17, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #40,807 of 100,720
Yikes. Never knew DHL was an issue with others. I have had no issues with them. Though I remember trying to send my old Cayin N5ii to China vis Fed ex .They wanted a bit over $100 just to ship it. which is ridiculous.

In any case I am looking forward to getting my mitts on the IT01s. Looks like it is more reference tuned with better mids than the old IT01 and better resolution results of the updated driver. I bet the IT01s will scale very well to amping.

I suspect the IT01s will be to the IT01. As the IT04 was to the IT03. Which is gonna make for an outstanding dynamic earphone.

Dec 17, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #40,809 of 100,720
Yikes. Never knew DHL was an issue with others. I have had no issues with them.

It is probably not the service DHL provides but rather the problem that depending on the region you will be hit with import fees and taxes and with DHL it is a 99.9% sure hit in the European union for example.

Everything above 22 euro will be taxed and you have to add about 15 euro of administration fees for DHL on top off that. Not only DHL though, UPS and Fedex also have the almost guaranteed import taxes you have to pay.

Local postal is less speedy but there is less chance to be taxed.

Dec 17, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #40,810 of 100,720
It is probably not the service DHL provides but rather the problem that depending on the region you will be hit with import fees and taxes and with DHL it is a 99.9% sure hit in the European union for example.

Everything above 22 euro will be taxed and you have to add about 15 euro of administration fees for DHL on top off that. Not only DHL though, UPS and Fedex also have the almost guaranteed import taxes you have to pay.

Local postal is less speedy but there is less chance to be taxed.

In the UK everything above 16 pounds has 20% added plus and additional 11 pound administration fee for DHL.

Dec 17, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #40,811 of 100,720

Well there's at least one other seller that would do the same. I just received a pair of 12ba IEM's delivered by DHL without paying anything extra for the shipping :wink:

One thing about Penon and DHL though, they've definitely managed to brake the code with DHL and customs (at least to Norway ). I've probably received 20 packages from them with DHL delivery and I've never had to pay tax on any of them, not even the huge package with the HE400i. Every other express delivery from all other sellers on the other hand has cost me quite some money.....

Dec 17, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #40,812 of 100,720
Well there's at least one other seller that would do the same. I just received a pair of 12ba IEM's delivered by DHL without paying anything extra for the shipping :wink:

One thing about Penon and DHL though, they've definitely managed to brake the code with DHL and customs (at least to Norway ). I've probably received 20 packages from them with DHL delivery and I've never had to pay tax on any of them, not even the huge package with the HE400i. Every other express delivery from all other sellers on the other hand has cost me quite some money.....
@peter123 how are you finding your new 12 BA iem?
I see you have changed your display image as well.

Dec 17, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #40,813 of 100,720
NiceHCK P3 looks suspiciously like the BGVP DS1
HTB1Ke0Cae6sK1RjSsrbq6xbDXXai.jpg

Vs
HTB1BbTEaXooBKNjSZFPq6xa2XXaM.jpg

2308030e-e218-43d1-a404-484f3aa09e9b.jpg

Seems to me it is more Chinese coping Chinese action.

donnie-yen-photo-open-hand-476.jpg
jlk71-PZG50VNB7XM-Full-Image_GalleryBackground-en-US-1492833420880._RI_SX940_.jpg

bgvp ds1 was the biggest dissapointment in my story with the hobby.

Thanks god the dmg was'nt

Dec 17, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #40,814 of 100,720
I kinda wrote the DMG off very quickly as i found the mid bass too heavy and emphasised. I had been listening to another set though which was very open and airy with a much thinner overall body to the sound so that didn't help i guess. With fresh ears today I actually find the DMG very pleasing. I do find that the mid bass can be obtrusive in some rock music with lots going on, but instruments have this very natural and lifelike quality. I originally thought it lacked detail, but it's never going to be an analytical earphone, not tuned that way. But the micro detail is there, in fact can take me by surprise sometimes hearing sounds and instruments I hadn't heard before. the detail though is in the organic quality of the overall sound. Gorgeous cable and fit.

I may try a balanced cable tomorrow.

The mid bass dump is very source dependent. The Dmg sound very refined from my phone. But a total mess from my computer jack. In a good march the mid bass still there(i don't like mid bass either), but it flows ok and don't compromise the sound at all.

Dec 17, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #40,815 of 100,720
Kanas Pro is the red line, Kanas is the black, if you look at the raw response in grey you will see that Kanas Pro has a lot better response than the it01s, less peaks and dips, neutral with sub bass boost, yummy

I am triyng to get my hands on kanas pro with discount in exchange of a biased review here, because, of course i am solding my soul and people shouldn't trust my opinions, from now on i am a shill as a broken student. But it it's being kinda hard to get the kanas pro really :/

Jokes aside(or not?), i am thinking now in trying to get the original kanas instead of the pricier kanas based on this graph, Can you link me to the source? In the moondrop material they seem to be VERY different, but in this they seem similar enough to jump on it.

It is funny as i started to look for information on kanas in the internet, even PM'ed some of you, and now the head fi eyes seem to be reaching the single driver.

EDIT: Just saw your link after, thx anyway.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back