The discovery thread!
Nov 26, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #40,053 of 103,277
@dweaver Ok, so here is my take on ? vs. XBA Z5. I'm sorry, I didn't see the DMG in your post, I don't have that one but I have the Z5, DM6 and the Whizzer Kylin. First things first, I think the Whizzer Kylin is better than the DM6. Kaboom! I said it. Not just a little better, but by a bit of a margin.
Let me tell you why I think so. The Kylin has sub-bass. The Kylin has splashy highs (appropriate splashy highs). The Kylin has a very detailed and realistic Vocal section. The Kylin has a more immersive soundstage. The Kylin has a better balanced mix (IMO) between the Bass, Mids, and Treble. The Kylin can pretty much sound great out any source (ones I used...Shanling M3s, Zishan DSD, Hidizs AP60 Pro, Hidizs DH1000), and sounds just as great single ended or balanced. I can just straight out recommend the Kylin.
The DM6 is a harder nut to crack. In a lot of ways, it is like the Z5 (in the bad ways)...it sounds good from certain sources but not so great from others. For instance, it doesn't sound that great single ended from my Shanling M3s or my Hidizs AP60 Pro. I think that it's because it doesn't have the appropriate amount of sub-bass (some might not think this is that important) treble ratio. It can often sound lacking in the top end. Not unclear, but like you've pulled down the treble so you can hear the hit of a cymbal or snare, but not the splash.
The DM6 sounds open and upfront, but the mids can sound a tiny bit boxy. And, on critical listening (especially in comparison to the Kylin) it lacks realistic detail in the vocals.
The Z5 has a great soundstage (like a little audiophile listening room in your head), it's not always super detailed, but I can really appreciate the musical presentation it offers. I still really love my Z5. That being said...if I were to walk in to a store today, and audition all three of them next to each other and only have to pick one (obviously I don't, because I have all three! :) ), I would probably walk out with the Kylin but lust for the Z5. I wouldn't even worry about the DM6.
Kylin can make bands like the Pixies, Cocteau Twins, Sugar (Bob Mould's band) sound huge and at the same time, really nicely separated. Hard to do with music like that because it usually sounds convoluted and flat and fat across the board.
Both the DM6 and Kylin are very nice looking. I probably bought the Kylin mostly because I thought it looked amazing in HBB's video. In fact, I bought (like I think a lot of people) the DM6 because of him too. He's got these two as his favorites (DM6 as his favorite), I personally like the Kylin better by quite a bit.
One thing, the DM6 fits me perfectly (with play) while the Kylin has a bit of a shorter reach. It may or may not affect you. They reach where they need to be for me, but I can't shove them in my ear if I wanted to.
Hope that helps.
Really nice and helping post ,
So the vocals on Kylin are also recessed like DM6 and which one has the better soundstage height ,?

Nov 26, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #40,054 of 103,277
Moondrop Aria

Positive impressions from the chi-fi thread (here and here). They were on-point with the Harman tuning for the Blessing, so I don't doubt that they can do that with a lower tier model here (like the FR graph provided).

same user also previously recommended another interesting model, the Binary Acoustics Unicorn, but its not really available in aliexpress, only taobao (link), so its a bit hard to recommend, despite the ER4-like tuning and in-house BA (supposedly).

HTB1_YuoKf5TBuNjSspmq6yDRVXa5.jpg

TB2ssXPcoz.BuNjt_j7XXX0nFXa_!!722535384.jpg

Nov 26, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #40,056 of 103,277
Yup, I agree, and your impressions always had me intrigued with them. Everything about the sound ticks all the boxes for me. Bass, mids/vocals, treble. Stage width, depth and layering.

Thank you. Do some tip swapping when you have time. Right now I have some large Sony large tips from my Sony XBA-H3. Even with the smaller diameter opening, they details shine through. But I also use the UE900 tips or the UE Triple-Fi 10 ear tips. I've found that you have to get a great seal (not necessarily a real deep insertion) to get optimum performance from them. Happy listening.

Nov 26, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #40,059 of 103,277
Comparisons between FOTM are always appreciated thank you so much!
With the delays for DM6 your post has probably just swayed me to buy the Whizzers instead, I always preferred realistic vocals that can touch the bottom of my heart :heart_eyes:

Could you just give us a comparison on the isolation on the Whizzers? I believe the DM6's isolation would be top notch as its completely sealed but I have experienced hybrid earphones with poor isolation (1more triple)
Neither one is completely isolated from the outside world. I live by a restaurant that has a huge air conditioning unit on all the time. When I step outside with both, I can still hear it humming in between the music. Conversely, I cannot hear my wife talking to me when I wear either one...and sometimes I pretend not to.

Nov 26, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #40,060 of 103,277
Neither one is completely isolated from the outside world. I live by a restaurant that has a huge air conditioning unit on all the time. When I step outside with both, I can still hear it humming in between the music. Conversely, I cannot hear my wife talking to me when I wear either one...and sometimes I pretend not to.
:D
i have the HE03 on order and am exited about it as i really liked where the bass was going on the whizzer a15.

Nov 26, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #40,063 of 103,277
Well, my super fukubukuro bag has arrived in the country. 2 weeks from ordering is a pretty decent shipping time given the singles day sales. Anyway, as expected from a super mysterious bag, the customs seized it and I have to wait for an invoice from Jim and maybe try my luck Friday as the working hours of the customs are ridiculous. The invoice will totally spoil the surprise, but there's nothing I can do - I guess the bag ain't that lucky after all.

edit: to be honest, right now I'm more excited about the brand new Sennheiser HD 630VB I came upon the other day in my local online shops for 85 euro. The store is legit but who knows even though they confirmed the order. Now that will be some luck if it actually arrives at the end of this week.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #40,064 of 103,277
Well, my super fukubukuro bag has arrived in the country. 2 weeks from ordering is a pretty decent shipping time given the singles day sales. Anyway, as expected from a super mysterious bag, the customs seized it and I have to wait for an invoice from Jim and maybe try my luck Friday as the working hours of the customs are ridiculous. The invoice will totally spoil the surprise, but there's nothing I can do - I guess the bag ain't that lucky after all.
Damn, bad luck, but heads up - still looking forward to further reports since mine still seems to be 'somewhere' and might take a few more days if not weeks till I get my hands on it....

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #40,065 of 103,277
Damn, bad luck, but heads up - still looking forward to further reports since mine still seems to be 'somewhere' and might take a few more days if not weeks till I get my hands on it....
Well, as soon as I know what its is I'll share the contents here in a spoiler, of course, as there might be other buyers who don't want to spoil their surprise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back