The discovery thread!
Nov 22, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #39,841 of 102,899
do you have the particular song that exhibit that problem? so i could check with my unit

I know everything Arjen Lucassen does inside out and it hit me like a hammer this morning.
Changed tips to spiral dots: better
Changed cable back to stock: even better
But I can't unhear the cheapness in the highhats and snare drums now, gonna leave them for a few hours with some proper loud metal on.

Nov 22, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #39,842 of 102,899
I'm really struggling to decide between acquiring Toneking T88k, or BGVP DM6, for the upcoming Black Friday sale.

Anyone that have listened to booth, and can shed some light on the quality difference?

Nov 22, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #39,845 of 102,899
Soory didn´t noticed that comment before. what are those issues on Cayin N5i? very attractive price, me thinks

There is a reason why they made a revision in the N5ii. Lets just say it will be a matter of time before something craps out on the N5ii. They wont mention it on the thread of course but if you look up the bug thread for the N5ii. You will see numerous reports of loose connectors. time out bugs. freeze bugs. Reboot bug. I had the reboot bug. Basically on mine I had to repower the player till it got to the music playing mode. Every time I would turn it on it would go into a reboot screen. Took about 10-12 tries before actually functioned. I was told to send it in for possible repair. well that was in August.
Somehow my player got lost. Around the same time they had a big typhoon at the location where Cayin factory is. So they have no idea where it is at. I have no idea where it is at. The sound on the player is excellent. Cant recommend that player even for that price. I would get a Shanling M3s for a bit cheaper.

I know it is tempting to consider a N5ii for the BF price. Stay away. they are just getting rid of the older N5ii. The reason why I think they went with stainless steel on the new player is because I believe what was happing the insides are so tight on the player. Any time something would expand within the player, for example battery getting slightly bigger over time. is what probably was caused my reboot bug. Again Cayin wont say anything like that but I have a feeling that is what caused them to make a newer version among too many problems to list. They came up with some lame excuse of running out of screens for the original N5ii so they had to make a new version of it to fit the new screen.

Nope. I know guys that currently own the N5ii might say their player works fine. Give it some time. You will see what I mean. I do believe their newer N5iis corrects everything the N5ii had problems with. Newer reinforced connectors so your plugs will not get loose like the original one. Better more solid body so nothing in the insides get pushed, Same components but with minor improvements. Better screen too. But of course they will charge you more of the improvements that should have been on their original N5ii in the first place.

Cayin makes great sounding stuff. Their QC in my experience is not good. Initial buyers of the N5ii was bug testers. Nope never again.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #39,848 of 102,899
Flash Sale on Massdrop:
BGVP DMG IEM for $99.99 ships 12/18 though...

Mt first set I got from Amazon a while agoe, I had to send back (crossover failure within a week) -- now at this price I just could --- not --- resist. I hope I am not getting a lemon again.

Cheers

Nov 22, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #39,849 of 102,899
There is a reason why they made a revision in the N5ii. Lets just say it will be a matter of time before something craps out on the N5ii. They wont mention it on the thread of course but if you look up the bug thread for the N5ii. You will see numerous reports of loose connectors. time out bugs. freeze bugs. Reboot bug. I had the reboot bug. Basically on mine I had to repower the player till it got to the music playing mode. Every time I would turn it on it would go into a reboot screen. Took about 10-12 tries before actually functioned. I was told to send it in for possible repair. well that was in August.
Somehow my player got lost. Around the same time they had a big typhoon at the location where Cayin factory is. So they have no idea where it is at. I have no idea where it is at. The sound on the player is excellent. Cant recommend that player even for that price. I would get a Shanling M3s for a bit cheaper.

I know it is tempting to consider a N5ii for the BF price. Stay away. they are just getting rid of the older N5ii. The reason why I think they went with stainless steel on the new player is because I believe what was happing the insides are so tight on the player. Any time something would expand within the player, for example battery getting slightly bigger over time. is what probably was caused my reboot bug. Again Cayin wont say anything like that but I have a feeling that is what caused them to make a newer version among too many problems to list. They came up with some lame excuse of running out of screens for the original N5ii so they had to make a new version of it to fit the new screen.

Nope. I know guys that currently own the N5ii might say their player works fine. Give it some time. You will see what I mean. I do believe their newer N5iis corrects everything the N5ii had problems with. Newer reinforced connectors so your plugs will not get loose like the original one. Better more solid body so nothing in the insides get pushed, Same components but with minor improvements. Better screen too. But of course they will charge you more of the improvements that should have been on their original N5ii in the first place.

Cayin makes great sounding stuff. Their QC in my experience is not good. Initial buyers of the N5ii was bug testers. Nope never again.

Don't forget the "blue screen" bug where it would turn all the covers blue :frowning2: One of the quicker returns I've made that one. Still can't fault Andy K's support over on the thread itself.

Nov 22, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #39,850 of 102,899
Last edited:
Nov 22, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #39,851 of 102,899
Nov 22, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #39,852 of 102,899
@Dsnuts Thanks for the EzAudio D4 heads up. Definitely worth it and the 5 that I bought is simply not enough as I think it's a good gateway IEM (aka gift) :D
Makes me not regret jumping onto a 100-200usd purchase during 11.11. DM6 was on my trigger finger but I'll wait and see...

On some styles of music, the high frequencies although not sibilant are a bit too much, like claps.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #39,853 of 102,899
I have interest in earbuds, i currently have my eyes on ty hi 150, can you give some more word on these ? links to discussion etc. Where do i buy them ? what is the best will sound ?

Willy (the maker of Willsound earbuds) sells through his facebook page https://m.facebook.com/WillSound-355453261556612/ or you could message him @WillSound here. the most popular is definitely the MK series, specifically MK1 and MK2. MK1, MK2 and MK3 are the same driver with different tunings (MK1 more bassy on the midbass, MK2 is more V shaped and sparkly treble) while MK3 is the most balanced

you could also hangout at the earbuds thread here on headfi https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/ for the latest developments on earbuds

earbuds: like it or not, for under 300 dollars range (especially the under 100 usd range) has a price to performance ratio that's hard to beat by iems or headphones.. these latter two will show their strengths against earbuds in the upper price above 300 where the single dynamic driver nature of earbuds shows it's peak and limitations, where iems and headphones can take over with their multi drivers and combinations.

i always suggest to people that if they can fit earbuds on their ears with no problem, they definitely should consider having them

Nov 22, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #39,855 of 102,899
You can get the DMG for $102 on amazon now with Code LINSOUL2018. Stacks with the Clippable coupons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back