The discovery thread!
Nov 22, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #39,827 of 100,489
Last edited:
Nov 22, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #39,828 of 100,489
Some of my favorite amps are hissy, TBH. Good reason to have some low-sensitivity earphones. : )

used this guide to measure output impedance of my Breeze Audio/Weiliang SE4 USB DAC, and its apparently 11ohms. No surprise the Andro went hissy then. Luckily most of my earbuds are high-impedance, so suits me just well.

better than my on-board audio on the PC (Realtek ALC887, japanese caps, shielded circuitry), it measured 85ohms. Normal design for powered speakers, at least.

Speaking of balanced out, Amazon has the Sabaj DA3 (and various other Sabaj models) with 10% discount, now that's tempting.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #39,830 of 100,489
I am getting a weird veil with the DM6, snare drums sound super cheap while the rest of the spectrum is amazing.
Feels a bit like something is muffling one of the bores, but it's on both sides. is it me, is my dm6 defective?

They have a tiny area in the response where stuff is not totally fleshed-out. It’s not noticed all the time but hopefully we can get it show show-up in measurements. It’s also maybe one of those things that show up with a new sound signature while later your brain fills it in. But I do think I notice what your talking about. It’s a rare tiny response area, which only shows up once in a while. And yes, super cheap is the perfect descriptive term. Not a big deal really as it does not show up on a regular basis. I love the DM6 IEMs, but they are not 100% perfect; pretty close though and for $199.......a gift.

Also try 4 days of burn-in, they can smooth out a little, and that area of the response seems to improve a little, though it never goes totally away.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #39,832 of 100,489
I am getting a weird veil with the DM6, snare drums sound super cheap while the rest of the spectrum is amazing.
Feels a bit like something is muffling one of the bores, but it's on both sides. is it me, is my dm6 defective?

do you have the particular song that exhibit that problem? so i could check with my unit

Nov 22, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #39,833 of 100,489
do you have the particular song that exhibit that problem? so i could check with my unit
I’m listening to a DSD 2.8MHz of Rush’s album Counterparts. The first song “Animate” has every drum sound in Rock, and the DM6s are flawless! Lol!

Nov 22, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #39,835 of 100,489
I’m listening to a DSD 2.8MHz of Rush’s album Counterparts. The first song “Animate” has every drum sound in Rock, and the DM6s are flawless! Lol!

i changed my DM6 tips to a narrow bore one (some random generic eartips that i have in my toolbox), now the treble is less peaky and the mids a little more forward and fuller than when i use the wide bore JVC.

ooh, and if you really like the DM6 and think that the 199 dollar price is a gift, i urge you to try the Willsound earbud, in particular the MK2, but for the price you could do a full sweep and get the whole range (MK1, MK2, MK3, MK300 and PK16). i know it's a different form factor to an IEM, but i see you also like earbuds, so this would be familiar to you.

the reason i even broad up earbuds (and the Willsound in particular) is because to my ears the DM6 is much closer to the fuller sound of earbuds and headphones than my other IEMs

the Willsounds could as well be the "end all TOTL level" for some people, in my humble opinion.

Nov 22, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #39,836 of 100,489
Copper cable and burn in should help.

Nov 22, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #39,837 of 100,489
i changed my DM6 tips to a narrow bore one (some random generic eartips that i have in my toolbox), now the treble is less peaky and the mids a little more forward and fuller than when i use the wide bore JVC.

ooh, and if you really like the DM6 and think that the 199 dollar price is a gift, i urge you to try the Willsound earbud, in particular the MK2, but for the price you could do a full sweep and get the whole range (MK1, MK2, MK3, MK300 and PK16). i know it's a different form factor to an IEM, but i see you also like earbuds, so this would be familiar to you.

the reason i even broad up earbuds (and the Willsound in particular) is because to my ears the DM6 is much closer to the fuller sound of earbuds and headphones than my other IEMs

the Willsounds could as well be the "end all TOTL level" for some people, in my humble opinion.

Someone just recommended to try wide bore tips on the DM6 to improve the mids too. So funny.

Nov 22, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #39,839 of 100,489
Looking forward to the M5s. I plan on getting one myself. Cayin N5ii will be $269 on musicteck site but they have issues which I am ceratin they corrected in their newer N5iis which will be on sale for $400 from $500. @ $400 those are compelling as well but my choice would be the M5s for that amount of money.
@Wiljen how goes with the lucky bag?
Soory didn´t noticed that comment before. what are those issues on Cayin N5i? very attractive price, me thinks

Nov 22, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #39,840 of 100,489

I have interest in earbuds, i currently have my eyes on ty hi 150, can you give some more word on these ? links to discussion etc. Where do i buy them ? what is the best will sound ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back