The discovery thread!
Oct 27, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #38,731 of 100,952
I picked up the dm6 recently after watching a YouTube video by @Hawaiibadboy and I'm impressed. I was hoping for sales after massdrop delivered but luckily I found one in the ads earlier.

I have the Fiio FH5 and the dm6 should be good alternative when I want a different signature. I love good deals and the $200 price range has so many good quality earphones these days. I'm using the tips I had from a UE TF10 however I do need to purchase some alternatives. I'm looking into the spiral dots, Sony hybrids and spinfit tips. I have the dual flange spinfits but unfortunately they did not fit. A dual flange that fits would probably be perfect if I could find one.
How was it out of the box?

Oct 27, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #38,734 of 100,952
How does it compare to the iSine 20, LCD i4 and ME1? Curious if I wanna shell out more money for these or not haha.
Well above isine20, I haven't heard LCDI4, but people on the CL2 thread that have had both say the CL2 is what they were hoping LCDi4 would be.
They even compare well to the Flamenco, V8, and other high end IEMs.
Only caveat is these require a good source and scale well, bundled cables are stiff and not very good. Tip rolling is a must. Personal preference spiral dots. .and an ALO copper cable.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #38,735 of 100,952
I picked up the dm6 recently after watching a YouTube video by @Hawaiibadboy and I'm impressed. I was hoping for sales after massdrop delivered but luckily I found one in the ads earlier.

I have the Fiio FH5 and the dm6 should be good alternative when I want a different signature. I love good deals and the $200 price range has so many good quality earphones these days. I'm using the tips I had from a UE TF10 however I do need to purchase some alternatives. I'm looking into the spiral dots, Sony hybrids and spinfit tips. I have the dual flange spinfits but unfortunately they did not fit. A dual flange that fits would probably be perfect if I could find one.
By impressed, do you find them better than FH5? I found FH5 to perform pretty good. It would be interesting to hear some impression or comparison between the two. Like, signature differences you refer to, and more if you like.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #38,737 of 100,952
By impressed, do you find them better than FH5? I found FH5 to perform pretty good. It would be interesting to hear some impression or comparison between the two. Like, signature differences you refer to, and more if you like.

I'm not at the point where I can declare one better than the other yet as I'm still looking for some better tips (it isn't obvious at this point which could be a good thing depending on your perspective). I'll purchase some of the more popular options and see where I go from there. My preferences would be something that is closer to neutral (think UERM or CA Andromeda). I have both earphones with a 4.4mm balanced cable and into the Sony ZX300A. I'm using the Fiio balanced cable and the ALO Pure Silver cable for the DM6. The Fiio came free since I bought the FH5 early so might as well pair it together. I can provide some initial first impressions/comparisons.

The DM6 are neither of the two earphones mentioned however they are much closer in signature than the FH5. The FH5 is a deviation from what I would normally go for however they do perform well at $250 and they are very enjoyable. The FH5 has a bigger bass presence and is a warmer earphone than the DM6 which makes them very enjoyable to me. The DM6 is closer to neutral however it doesn't have the sibilance that many earphones with a neutral signature has (a lot of older dual driver DWFK earphones had this issue). I have the clear color and it's one of the best (if not the best) clear shell I've owned. I would have went with a different color if i had a choice. From memory, the DM6 reminds me of a UERM with a bit more bass quantity and without the effortless treble the UERM had (but still good quality and more than sufficient at a $200 MSRP).

Oct 27, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #38,738 of 100,952

I'll take that review with a large grain of salt given he didnt even mention iSines for one and he listed a comparison and recommendation to buy the Oppo PM3 which is discontinued along with the entire Oppo audio line. Good headphone though!

Their top list of IEMs are all medicore-at-best in my opinion too. :frowning2:

Best IEM is 1More Triple Driver? Really?

I am pretty curious to try out the RHA though. Just dont want to spend that much on it right now. Andromeda-S and Focal Elegia are my choices right now for my next big purchase.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #38,739 of 100,952
I'll take that review with a large grain of salt given he didnt even mention iSines for one and he listed a comparison and recommendation to buy the Oppo PM3 which is discontinued along with the entire Oppo audio line. Good headphone though!

Their top list of IEMs are all medicore-at-best in my opinion too. :frowning2:

Best IEM is 1More Triple Driver? Really?

I am pretty curious to try out the RHA though. Just dont want to spend that much on it right now. Andromeda-S and Focal Elegia are my choices right now for my next big purchase.
That was just the latest review to come out. That is why i posted it. For people who are interested, go read the RHA CL2 planar thread. Way more detailed comparisons there.
This is the only other pro review I think I found : http://majorhifi.com/rha-cl2-review/

Oct 27, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #38,741 of 100,952
I’m just going to wait on the planar iem, since it seems that a slew of them are coming out now. Seems they are not that difficult to manufacture, and I’ll wait for prices to come to a stasis. Plus, somebody will figure out how to make them sound their best.
Good thinking. I jumped on board with 0 reviews pretty much. I lucked out, but yeah I am very excited to see how far this tech can go.
From all the people that have had or heard the LCDi4, that I have talked to, say the CL2 is either just as good, or better.
And I am enjoying the hell out of these, money well spent for me.
Gonna get the new SONY IER-Z1R when they come out.
I am trying to get Hawaii Bad Boy to review both of them :)

Oct 27, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #38,742 of 100,952
RHA CL2 is the best Planar IEM. I cant put it down to save my life.
If you can afford it, it's well worth the asking price. Competes with many 2k+ iem's.
+1

Oct 27, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #38,743 of 100,952
Good thinking. I jumped on board with 0 reviews pretty much. I lucked out, but yeah I am very excited to see how far this tech can go.
From all the people that have had or heard the LCDi4, that I have talked to, say the CL2 is either just as good, or better.
Audeze products have left a bitter taste in my mouth. It's due to their high pricing with not producing tonally good earphones for the price. I've tried the iSines, and mids were so off the mark, I had to learn to EQ. Cipher cable was only compatible with idevices and was essentially EQ'ing the terrible mids tonality. Same for LCDs, I don't find them perform all that well, and prices ridiculous. The upper-mids suck-out is unacceptable. I just can't trust the company after all that they have put out.

Oct 27, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #38,744 of 100,952
Audeze products have left a bitter taste in my mouth. It's due to their high pricing with not producing tonally good earphones for the price. I've tried the iSines, and mids were so off the mark, I had to learn to EQ. Cipher cable was only compatible with idevices and was essentially EQ'ing the terrible mids tonality. Same for LCDs, I don't find them perform all that well, and prices ridiculous. The upper-mids suck-out is unacceptable. I just can't trust the company after all that they have put out.
Never had them personally, but have heard they were a wreck.
Once burned, always a sceptic.
I never liked their bat ear designs anyways. Those things are huge, I can't picture myself using those for any extended period of time.

Oct 27, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #38,745 of 100,952
HBB will get that Sony! Haha, fer sure. I have the Z5 and really like those. I appreciate the little audio room they created with that phone. Spacious and luscious. I hope the sound of the new flagship will take that ethic to it’s peak, so I’m definitely curious.
As far as planars, I love planar bass, so I’ve got to have set of some at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back