The discovery thread!
Apr 25, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #35,626 of 100,446
From my perspective I love to find "hidden gems" but they rarely turn out to be what they are hyped up to be. They are good IEMs, but not perfect.

I've lost hundreds (maybe thousands) from buying into hype, and when someone who owns a product writes a bit that portrays it as a less than perfect IEM, to me, this is usually a good sign. Because a relatively affordable product touted as a giant killer is often bad news unless the hype can endure the test of time. Only a few of the products that become hailed as amazing values continue to be talked about months after their discovery.

So when he has something to say that is less than favorable, I think it's a good idea to keep an open mind and always maintain a realistic perspective on what you are buying.

I agree with this. I have to admit I have fallen into the revolving hyped earphones myself however. I am basing the HK6 off of my own experience with BA earphones in the price ranges. To me these are very good iems given the price. Iems such as the Primo 8 HEM 8. Which I did a review for both. When introduced was way more expensive. They have their plusses and minuses in sound but both were lacking in one degree or another. MSRP for the Primo 8 was $400 I believe. While those at more reasonable at less than $200 now a days. There is no question where the HK6 stands in comparison. Same goes for my Ath IM03. The reason why I decided to introduce the HK6 to the thread was due to the how complete they sound. They are not perfect by any stretch but imo I am trying to find an IEM I own that actually does one better as a complete sound. I came to the conclusion. These deserve some attention. As far as I know there is no hype on these all I did was point out there is sale on them and here we are. These don't even have a dedicated thread. Hey $200 is $200. The last thing I am gonna do is introduce on these threads an earphone not worthy of your hard earned cash.

I bought the M3s after doing more research. Will probably have it Monday. Thanks again bro.

Let me know how you like it. As per usual your gonna have to burn in that player. Both balanced and in single ended. You should get that fitted case for em as well.

Apr 25, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #35,627 of 100,446
Dsnuts hasn’t steered me wrong yet and I like his enthusiasm about audio. His reviews and posts draw me in and I believe him because he’s honest. This is my first purchase of an earphone from Ali, only because dsnuts convinced through pm’s, lol.
I will credit him with depleting my wallet too :wink:
Also would want to point out that he hasn't steered me wrong ever. i'll wait a bit on the HK6 as i already have the DZ 7 and am looking forward to the TFZ Secret Garden (6 BA) and the IT04s

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #35,628 of 100,446
I have them in my ears as I type. Sure there are times when I wonder geeze am I gushing a bit too much about a phone. ?

Hellz no! These sound superb! I have no idea how anyone can hear these and think these sound bad. Lol. But hey we all hear differently.

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #35,629 of 100,446
I could have guessed if you got the HK6 and already had the DZ9 it was gonna be a downgrade. No manufacturer is gonna sell better sounding iem for half the price.
DZ9 and HK6/HQ6 aren't necessarily made by the same manufacturer. NiceHCK is just a store, and they (as well as other stores) source their store-branded IEMs from the real manufacturers, which we don't know who they are.
If a store can get from a manufacturer an IEM for 100$ that sounds better than the one they already sell for 500$, they'll be more than happy to sell hundreds of these at 200$, even if it means they'll lose the few sales the 500$ one could bring in.
Also, as I mentioned, there are cheaper options that sound better. Price is not an indication of value.

Seems your the sensitive type. I know a few sensitive types here on headfi..
You questioned my honesty:
Do you actually own the HK6? Lol. I find it difficult to believe you actually got both of those iems to be honest.
Why don't you write your name on a piece of paper and put it next to that pic of yours. Then I might believe you.
I never questioned yours...
BTW - what exactly made it difficult for you to believe that I own both of these IEMs - especially after I posted the pictures?

Well I will wait n see what the general consensus is about the HK6. As per you not being impressed. I would just sell them. With the so called hype as you call it building you wont have any issues selling them and get your money back.
That is what I would do. Somebody buy Bens HK6. I bet he will be a good fella and sell em for cheaper that he bought em for since he don't like em.
I keep all my "mistakes". If I would start selling them, I wouldn't be able to post my honest opinions about them - as that would hurt their resale value.

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #35,630 of 100,446
DZ9 and HK6/HQ6 aren't necessarily made by the same manufacturer. NiceHCK is just a store, and they (as well as other stores) source their store-branded IEMs from the real manufacturers, which we don't know who they are.
If a store can get from a manufacturer an IEM for 100$ that sounds better than the one they already sell for 500$, they'll be more than happy to sell hundreds of these at 200$, even if it means they'll lose the few sales the 500$ one could bring in.
Also, as I mentioned, there are cheaper options that sound better. Price is not an indication of value.

You questioned my honesty:

I never questioned yours...
BTW - what exactly made it difficult for you to believe that I own both of these IEMs - especially after I posted the pictures?

I keep all my "mistakes". If I would start selling them, I wouldn't be able to post my honest opinions about them - as that would hurt their resale value.
Good point about resale value.
Those pictures were pro grade photography. Kudos on that. Perhaps that was one of the reasons it could have comes across like they were from a store promotion.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #35,632 of 100,446
I suggest BenF sell his HK6 a try the Mackie MP-220 it's dual dynamic design might give him the organic experience he is looking for.

I am enjoying the heck out my pair anyway...

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #35,633 of 100,446
Begin rant.

For the past 20minutes of LA traffic on my way home I was thinking about what a natural sounding earphone is supposed to sound like.

Many aspects of life are relative. But when it comes to sound and vision, theres just no way to properly, 100% convey, what and how you're hearing and seeing something.

I am 25 years old, and in the race drone industry by trade so my ears are nowhere nearly as experienced with sounds as a musician or sound engineer by trade would be.

With that in mind, I often see comparisons of one iem sounding more natural than another. I struggle with identifying a natural sounding tone or timbre right off the bat. This is despite having a broad taste in music, heard through "accurate monitors" by Focal or JBL. I just know that if a cymbal sounds too peaky, artificial or distorted, its not right. If it sounds too flat, like a paperclip hitting a metal plate, it's too weak. Somewhere in between lies 'just right'... But where is NATURAL?

So I'm wondering if the folks who do know right from wrong are musicians themselves or do they frequent live shows where the artist either has no microphone or speaker to mess with the tone, or perhaps the venue just has THE most amazing mic/speaker setup that sounds as natural as the instrument does untainted by our consumer technology. Or is it just amazing memory of what a natural cymbal should sound like? Even then, there are many brands and designs of cymbals that all sound so different from each other.

Are we hearing the brand of cymbal, brand of the BA, or implementation/tuning (passively through crossovers filters or an actual filtering metrial such as a fine mesh)?

Where does whether or not something sounds 'natural' fit in? If its relative to another IEM, is that OTHER IEM really natural? What is THAT one being compared to? A musician baseline hearing?

I guess this is the reason I often get the urge to send one my earphones I would like to get a comparison with to the reviewer and ask them "my IEMs are on their way to you. Is your new one better than this old one of mine?
Cheers"

End rant.

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #35,634 of 100,446
...Those pictures were pro grade photography. Kudos on that. Perhaps that was one of the reasons it could have comes across like they were from a store promotion.
You are too kind. I took these pictures on a kitchen table :jecklinsmile:
Having a great camera does help - I love my Fujifilm XT-2!

To avoid future confusion, maybe I should always take pictures of IEMs on top of Pro 82 :jecklinsmile:

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #35,635 of 100,446
Begin rant.

For the past 20minutes of LA traffic on my way home I was thinking about what a natural sounding earphone is supposed to sound like.

Many aspects of life are relative. But when it comes to sound and vision, theres just no way to properly, 100% convey, what and how you're hearing and seeing something.

I am 25 years old, and in the race drone industry by trade so my ears are nowhere nearly as experienced with sounds as a musician or sound engineer by trade would be.

With that in mind, I often see comparisons of one iem sounding more natural than another. I struggle with identifying a natural sounding tone or timbre right off the bat. This is despite having a broad taste in music, heard through "accurate monitors" by Focal or JBL. I just know that if a cymbal sounds too peaky, artificial or distorted, its not right. If it sounds too flat, like a paperclip hitting a metal plate, it's too weak. Somewhere in between lies 'just right'... But where is NATURAL?

So I'm wondering if the folks who do know right from wrong are musicians themselves or do they frequent live shows where the artist either has no microphone or speaker to mess with the tone, or perhaps the venue just has THE most amazing mic/speaker setup that sounds as natural as the instrument does untainted by our consumer technology. Or is it just amazing memory of what a natural cymbal should sound like? Even then, there are many brands and designs of cymbals that all sound so different from each other.

Are we hearing the brand of cymbal, brand of the BA, or implementation/tuning (passively through crossovers filters or an actual filtering metrial such as a fine mesh)?

Where does whether or not something sounds 'natural' fit in? If its relative to another IEM, is that OTHER IEM really natural? What is THAT one being compared to? A musician baseline hearing?

I guess this is the reason I often get the urge to send one my earphones I would like to get a comparison with to the reviewer and ask them "my IEMs are on their way to you. Is your new one better than this old one of mine?
Cheers"

End rant.

When I'm listening to a recording of an artist I heard live, "natural" means me saying "Yep, that's how she sounds!".
When I'm listening to a recording of a concert I've attended, "natural" means I'm reliving the same experience I had during the concert.
When I'm listening to a recording of a concert I didn't attend, "natural" means I forget I listen to a recording, instead I'm transported to the place I've never been to, yet I feel that I'm right there in the audience with everyone else

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #35,636 of 100,446
Begin rant.

Cheers"

End rant.

I suppose there is not a universal meaning of how one perceives sound to be natural. To me it comes down to Certain tunes and how they are supposed to sound. Natural in a meaning of does it sound like it is supposed to vs sounding enhanced or artificial. But here is where the madness begins. It is what one perceives as natural. A younger person who loves hip hop for example will find it natural to have a 9 dbs of bass boost in the bass region. That to this person would be natural.

Some guys are neutral heads so anything that is boosted to them is not natural. What Ben here perceives as natural has a lot to do with what he thinks is natural. Based on his expertise of course. Boosted treble, boosted mids and or bass tilts tonality to one direction or the other again messing with what one considers natural. The real fact is. Even the most neutral of earphones all have some type of coloration. The catch is. How much of this sound coloration do we allow to be considered natural.

For me I have my favorite tracks I test all earphones with and I know the tracks like the back of my hands. I judge a sound based on how it is supposed to sound to my ears. Some earphones sound great until you start nit picking in each region of sound.

Though I am not nearly as nit picky as some here on the threads but for me it has to engage me as a listener. Natural or not if it don't put a smile on my face like the HK6 does then to me anyways you can take your natural and enjoy it for all I care. Does the sound get to your soul like it was intended.

To me that is natural. If it don't. It don't make it on the discovery thread. So next time you hear some one say natural. This is what they could mean by that.

Very natural.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #35,637 of 100,446
An observation. I have been letting my HK6 play music through my burn in station all week ever since I got it. It is well past 100 hours and I do notice the sound has tightened in all regions including the bass. Same tracks I was listening to last night now has a very tight image to it. Sub bass is tighter and cleaner now. Sound profile has changed a bit toward a neutral tilt in sound tuning. Very interesting. They now are starting to sound a bit like my PX in tonality but with that tonality still maintaining that surround type sound field.

I am using my Spiral dot tips. I just tried a few other tips on them and I will stick to the spiral dots. Does seem to be the perfect match for the HK6. Wide bore tips seems to bring the best out of these. In hind sight if I remember correct these did sound a bit loose in the bass department on open listen. The bass has settled and does not seem to have any more looseness that I can tell.

Guys that are used to a big bass boost will not get that with these but I do find the bass to be very complimentary to the rest of the sound. I will continue to let them run in till this weekend and see where they go.

Apr 26, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #35,638 of 100,446
As for the bass, maybe your HK6 simply doesn't have this issue - QC on these DIY IEMs is far from perfect, that's expected.

The fact that it is possible is very sad. So, it may be that there is a large variance, and dsnuts was lucky to get a very very good one, and you might have got a different one. (not necessarily defective because of large variation, no standard on what is the reference for Dk6 might exist).

I remember Audeze LCD2 at the start had similar issues and it was proven once people got other's HP and did FR curve measurement against their HP's FR curve.

Anyway, hopefully once more people get these, we will really get to know.

Apr 26, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #35,639 of 100,446
Don't usually use my spiral dots because they are a bit finicky for my ears. But threw them on the MP-220 tonight and once I get them sealed they offer the best sound out of the tips I have tried. The actually made the bass more robust while opening up the treble and adding even more detail to the midrange. Sitting listening to Patricia Barber's album Smash and this IEM simply shows off everything that her music offers. Her voice has that sharp enunciation without becoming sibilant, guitars sound full and vibrant, awesome piano, and simply stunning cymbal work.

Apr 26, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #35,640 of 100,446
Begin rant.

Cheers"

End rant.
Unnatural sound ? You can buy kz iem and you'd know that the sound is unnatural

Users who are viewing this thread

Back