The discovery thread!
May 30, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #31,892 of 100,733
Looks like AT has a formula or stages for dynamic designs.  I seen this pattern before. CKM50 thread. CKM500.. Chambered design usually mean even a larger stage than previous CKR phones. A CKR10 with larger stage would make for a nice combo. Look forward to these.

May 30, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #31,893 of 100,733

I am happy to run other balanced gear off my Geek Out v2, so I will hold off on getting the Z5, but I might opt for the pono one day. Some canadian friendly deals have popped up in the last few weeks. Given that a majority of my music comes from streaming services, it will not be my main device (FiiO X7 will have to do the heavy lifting in that department). 

But the Pono legit looks fun to use lol.  My only gripe with the Z5 is the MMCX connector, if there was one main thing from holding back from picking up a pair its that, but I digress. I hope they make an updated pono player wth expanded features in the future :)

Fwiw, I'm just zuper happy using my Samsung S5 + Zuperdac (and UAPP app). The Zuperdac is small enough that it's pretty much permanently attached to the back of my phone, and the whole thing slides into my phone's belt holster, so I always have a  hi-res, streaming machine on my belt:

Yes, I probably look like a geek wearing it, but I am, so that's okay. So I guess that's now my main portable device, and I don't feel the need to buck up for the likes of the X7. I do still need a separate good DAP though, and I'm waiting on the Xduoo X3. I maybe would have considered the Pono except that it's quite pricey and doesn't have a sleep timer and auto-resume (both of which are important to me).

May 31, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #31,895 of 100,733
Anyway, just want to share my impressions of the E40, as posted in the E series thread:

So having used my E40 for the past few days, I'm starting to get a better idea of its sound. Here are my impressions with JVC spiral dots tips:

- Bass reaches incredibly deep and is visceral. Slightly emphasized over neutral yet very linear with no mid-bass bloat. Plenty of detail and texture, with excellent control and precision. In short, the bass is nothing short of amazing and the closest you can get to planar bass in an IEM.
- Very linear through mids to treble, with a gentle roll-off at the top to prevent sibilance.
- Mids are very clear and detailed, and the tonality is exceptionally accurate and true to life.
- Vocals are at the forefront and well separated from the other instruments. Male and female vocals both sound nuanced, expressive and beautiful. Truly a vocal-head's dream.
- Treble is gentle on the ears, carries great amount of detail while straying far from sibilance and harshness. Impressive tuning.
- Soundstage is rather wide for an IEM, and good depth though not as deep as the CKRs.
- Separation, imaging, resolution are all excellent and better than most IEMs in this price range.
- Incredible dynamics and impact (a common trait in all Dual Phase Push-Pull driver IEMs), making traditional dynamics feel flat in comparison.

Overall, these are no doubt the best IEMs in its class. Even when coming from top tier IEMs like FLC8S, the E40 did not reduce the musical enjoyment one bit. They don't really do anything wrong, unlike many IEMs I've heard at this price. At $99 these are a definite steal!

Though if you are considering getting them, the JVC spiral dots tips are a MUST for unlocking the true potential of the E40s. There is a significant improvement going from the stock tips to the JVCs, making the investment worth more than the cost.

IMHO. :)

I'm liking it so much that I'm considering doing a full review of the E40s! (It will be my first IEM review) :)

May 31, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #31,896 of 100,733
Look forward to the review. Actually, for me, after comparing the Spiral Dots and the smoke gray UE style, I like the UE better. Yes, the SD unlock better bass but the stock tips just don't so they rank pretty far down on my list. The UE give me even better bass tone and brighter livelier treble than the SD. I would put the SD third after the UE and Tingo velvet/flocked tips.
wink_face.gif

Anyhow the E40 can be had for $79 plus $11 for a set of BGVP tuning cables which using the one that fit your source and sound preference, you can get CKR10 equivalent sound for $90. That begs the question if the CKR100 will be a good value or not till the price drops. CKR90 is 20,000Y and that seems to be a similar correction like with the E40 but will the 100 be worth double. Actually, I think the most improvement will be from the CKR70 with a new housing and whole new driver and because it comes from the worst previous model.

CKR10 had the quad cable and iron yoke. Only the new housing and aluminum stabilizer seem to be new as far as SQ components(removable cable is nice but doesn't go to better sound). Not convinced it isn't better at $250 then $400. Seems like they did more work to the CKR90 which also has a new housing and the removable cable and throws a new driver in the mix and talks of improving the CKR9 treble which, to my ears, needed refinement.

We need to see how the two compare this time. The early impressions in my earlier post are done separate and by two people but don't compare the two.

Even when solid cable options for the E series drop and there is a decent one and you can end up getting a small step up from the CKR10 for $125-$150 and that is great including my favorite AT case(over the CKR style) and a good form factor and removable cables. So, while certainly a better looking phone, not looking for the CKR100 to be small step up for $200- $250 more in cost.

I expect the Master 4 I pre-ordered for $125 to be as good as a CKR100 and have tuning and many more accessories and options like the BT cable and such. People know me I, not gonna follow blindly :) Even as an AT fan. Heck I modded my old $9 CP300 with VE donut foams, removing the ear clip portion, and using the right EQ and the BGVP "C" and have my favorite earbud(even after Monk, DH, and Zen 2.0),  my E40(cable could be better for over ear) is my best in-ear for SQ(my modded JVC Elation might be the most fun though), and my old SQ5 that I recently bought lightly used for $12(which is the CKR sound before the CKR) is probably the best sounding of the bunch by a slight margin). So AT have my 3 best phones right now but after the CKS1100 being $200 and the CKR90 being $200, I can't say the $400 CKR100 price tag is not concerning. Unless they killed it and they are Z5 experience, Master 6, FAD, Ocharaku level with AT voicing kind of thing.

May 31, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #31,897 of 100,733
Look forward to the review. Actually, for me, after comparing the Spiral Dots and the smoke gray UE style, I like the UE better. Yes, the SD unlock better bass but the stock tips just don't so they rank pretty far down on my list. The UE give me even better bass tone and brighter livelier treble than the SD. I would put the SD third after the UE and Tingo velvet/flocked tips.:wink_face:

Anyhow the E40 can be had for $79 plus $11 for a set of BGVP tuning cables which using the one that fit your source and sound preference, you can get CKR10 equivalent sound for $90. That begs the question if the CKR100 will be a good value or not till the price drops. CKR90 is 20,000Y and that seems to be a similar correction like with the E40 but will the 100 be worth double. Actually, I think the most improvement will be from the CKR70 with a new housing and whole new driver and because it comes from the worst previous model.

CKR10 had the quad cable and iron yoke. Only the new housing and aluminum stabilizer seem to be new as far as SQ components(removable cable is nice but doesn't go to better sound). Not convinced it isn't better at $250 then $400. Seems like they did more work to the CKR90 which also has a new housing and the removable cable and throws a new driver in the mix and talks of improving the CKR9 treble which, to my ears, needed refinement.

We need to see how the two compare this time. The early impressions in my earlier post are done separate and by two people but don't compare the two.

Even when solid cable options for the E series drop and there is a decent one and you can end up getting a small step up from the CKR10 for $125-$150 and that is great including my favorite AT case(over the CKR style) and a good form factor and removable cables. So, while certainly a better looking phone, not looking for the CKR100 to be small step up for $200- $250 more in cost.

I expect the Master 4 I pre-ordered for $125 to be as good as a CKR100 and have tuning and many more accessories and options like the BT cable and such. People know me I, not gonna follow blindly :) Even as an AT fan. Heck I modded my old $9 CP300 with VE donut foams, removing the ear clip portion, and using the right EQ and the BGVP "C" and have my favorite earbud(even after Monk, DH, and Zen 2.0),  my E40(cable could be better for over ear) is my best in-ear for SQ(my modded JVC Elation might be the most fun though), and my old SQ5 that I recently bought lightly used for $12(which is the CKR sound before the CKR) is probably the best sounding of the bunch by a slight margin). So AT have my 3 best phones right now but after the CKS1100 being $200 and the CKR90 being $200, I can't say the $400 CKR100 price tag is not concerning. Unless they killed it and they are Z5 experience, Master 6, FAD, Ocharaku level with AT voicing kind of thing.

Will check out the UE gray tips, thanks!

I too sure hope the CKR100 will live up to its high price tag. I've always wanted to see an AT iem with SQ as good as any TOTL iem and beat them in pricing. Will definitely give the new CKRs a listen when they reach my shore!

(One gripe about the E40s though - the stock cable is just too long...)

May 31, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #31,898 of 100,733
...and the memory wire is not the most elegant or unobtrusive(E70 is much nicer but still too long). Hopefully the connectoris available soon and we get some options including mics and no memory wire versions etc.

May 31, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #31,899 of 100,733
@jant71 ...how about ATH-E40 vs. ATH-IM70 ? Asking because they have same price tag.

May 31, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #31,900 of 100,733
Here in the US the E40 can be had for ~$80 so the E40 is the better value here and all the posts I have read say they beat the IM70, sometimes quite easily. I have never heard the IM70. the IM70 seem worse as far as shape and fit for some as well. Check the E series thread for those posts and there are also a few CKR vs. Im70 posts in the IM and CKR threads if you can find them. E40 is nearly as good as the CKR10, say 90%, is the usual estimate and the CKR's are said to be quite a step up from the IM70. The E40 still isn't in Japan yet and I think that is a nice clue that it renders the IM70 obsolete; better sound,improved connector durability, better case, better value.

May 31, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #31,901 of 100,733
  Here in the US the E40 can be had for ~$80 so the E40 is the better value here and all the posts I have read say they beat the IM70, sometimes quite easily. I have never heard the IM70. the IM70 seem worse as far as shape and fit for some as well. Check the E series thread for those posts and there are also a few CKR vs. Im70 posts in the IM and CKR threads if you can find them. E40 is nearly as good as the CKR10, say 90%, is the usual estimate and the CKR's are said to be quite a step up from the IM70. The E40 still isn't in Japan yet and I think that is a nice clue that it renders the IM70 obsolete; better sound,improved connector durability, better case, better value.

Hey Jant,

Where can I get the e40 for $80 and the cable you mentioned? Thanks.

May 31, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #31,902 of 100,733
Here...http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=ATH-E40&source=froogle&gclid=CJvlw-eFhc0CFYsmhgodRjEKmQ
Of course put in the code and $99 becomes $79 and free shipping over $49 and no tax outside NJ as well.

For the tuning cables...
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-PCS-BGVP-ABC-fever-ear-headset-adapter-cable-to-enhance-sound-quality-DIY-earphone-combination/32587129126.html

or...http://www.aliexpress.com/item/100-Original-BGVP-ABC-Earphone-Cable-Earphone-Upgrade-Silver-Plated-Cable-ABC-Detach-Cable/32558609801.html

May 31, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #31,903 of 100,733
  Here...http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?item=ATH-E40&source=froogle&gclid=CJvlw-eFhc0CFYsmhgodRjEKmQ
Of course put in the code and $99 becomes $79 and free shipping over $49 and no tax outside NJ as well.

For the tuning cables...
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-PCS-BGVP-ABC-fever-ear-headset-adapter-cable-to-enhance-sound-quality-DIY-earphone-combination/32587129126.html

or...http://www.aliexpress.com/item/100-Original-BGVP-ABC-Earphone-Cable-Earphone-Upgrade-Silver-Plated-Cable-ABC-Detach-Cable/32558609801.html

Thanks. Bought one. Much appreciated.

Jun 1, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #31,904 of 100,733

Fwiw, I'm just zuper happy using my Samsung S5 + Zuperdac (and UAPP app). The Zuperdac is small enough that it's pretty much permanently attached to the back of my phone, and the whole thing slides into my phone's belt holster, so I always have a  hi-res, streaming machine on my belt:

Yes, I probably look like a geek wearing it, but I am, so that's okay. So I guess that's now my main portable device, and I don't feel the need to buck up for the likes of the X7. I do still need a separate good DAP though, and I'm waiting on the Xduoo X3. I maybe would have considered the Pono except that it's quite pricey and doesn't have a sleep timer and auto-resume (both of which are important to me).

Ah cool set up! Nah I think that looks really nice actually. How does it sound? And I heard good things about the X3 actually. I say get it sooner rather than later :wink:

Jun 1, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #31,905 of 100,733
  Ah cool set up! Nah I think that looks really nice actually. How does it sound? And I heard good things about the X3 actually. I say get it sooner rather than later :wink:

ZuperDAC sounds amazing (best $75 I've spent). X3 is in transit :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back