The discovery thread!
Nov 16, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #31,201 of 100,675
It has more than potential. These guys did their homework and then some. They sound a bit bright out of box. I think due to that new silver coated cable that is on the phones by default and that proprietary driver they threw in there. Would let them run in for a good while. You should however hear their potential and that is what it is out of box. Was told by Gilly to burn them in for a while.

Single dynamics with this much refinement just don't happen. They have so much detail to the sound it sounds holographic. Scales up nicely to your amps too.

I think just about everyone that got one reported on a bit of brightness and edginess to the phones from open listen. These will go from brightness to definition once they get their time.

People that was tempted to get a DN2000J but never did might as well hop on the X1 bandwagon. It very much has a similar tuning which surprises me to no end due to it being a single dynamic driver.

Get in on the indiegogo campaign. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/echobox-the-evolution-of-personal-audio#/

OK, this comment is the straw that broke this Camel's black. I'm in for x1!

Nov 16, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #31,202 of 100,675
I don't quite get this...this is crowd funded, but the headphones are out there already? And, what about the music player? Any experience with it?

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #31,203 of 100,675
I am currently testing a pair of these as well and like them quite a bit. They really did need about 100hrs of hard playtime to settle down enough for me to be able to handle the treble. These are a great IEM if you like a v shape signature with LOTS of energy. I am still on the fence because I have grown to love lower energy warm signatures over the past year. But I know these will be loved by a lot of people. I think their simple design is pretty cool to.

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #31,204 of 100,675
So I got my CKS1100 today. Just heard them for the fist time. I can hear the potential. They do have a veil I am hearing especially in the mids on open listen. If I remember correctly so did my old CKS1000. That stage is crazy large like it should. 

I am gonna reserve judgement till I get them fully proper but for now going form the Finder X1 to the CKS1100 are two very different sounds. I have to get used to them and let them burn in for a while. 

They do sound a bit like a mish mash of CKR and CKS phones I own. I am certain they will open up. 

Nov 17, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #31,205 of 100,675
  So I got my CKS1100 today. Just heard them for the fist time. I can hear the potential. They do have a veil I am hearing especially in the mids on open listen. If I remember correctly so did my old CKS1000. That stage is crazy large like it should. 

I am gonna reserve judgement till I get them fully proper but for now going form the Finder X1 to the CKS1100 are two very different sounds. I have to get used to them and let them burn in for a while. 

They do sound a bit like a mish mash of CKR and CKS phones I own. I am certain they will open up. 

They most certainly open up. The sound signature originally sounded veiled and lacked the subbass levels that jant claimed were even to the midbass. 

After burning the cks1100s in (and a proper fit), the in-ears sound magnificent and definitely delineate the treble's best qualities followed by the bass greatest qualities. The mids open up, but do not become the main focus of the in-ear (if you're wearing them in the outer post). I personally prefer the outer post to avoid fit problems with the inner post. While these do not have the detail of say the thinksound on1's vocals, the vocals sound similar (though less detailed) to the r70x's. The vocals sounded veiled like the cks77s I owned before as well. The detail poured out after a good amount of hours and reminded me of a more refined ckr9s.

Nov 17, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #31,206 of 100,675
Great vid.
How can ya lose...LOL

According to comments...
"USB on the front is not just for power, it will also act as a DAC."
HA
One guy on Amazon reviews is using it in his car wired up to a cassette adapter to stream BT .
bigsmile_face.gif

Cheap stocking stuffers!

http://www.amazon.com/Nobsound%C2%AE-Bluetooth-Receiver-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00W9H9W42/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1443329502&sr=8-1&keywords=nobsound&linkCode=sl1&tag=wwwpuresimula-20&linkId=deb8091cb792fa6bd8f5b702d5e0ef8b

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #31,207 of 100,675
  They most certainly open up. The sound signature originally sounded veiled and lacked the subbass levels that jant claimed were even to the midbass. 

After burning the cks1100s in (and a proper fit), the in-ears sound magnificent and definitely delineate the treble's best qualities followed by the bass greatest qualities. The mids open up, but do not become the main focus of the in-ear (if you're wearing them in the outer post). I personally prefer the outer post to avoid fit problems with the inner post. While these do not have the detail of say the thinksound on1's vocals, the vocals sound similar (though less detailed) to the r70x's. The vocals sounded veiled like the cks77s I owned before as well. The detail poured out after a good amount of hours and reminded me of a more refined ckr9s.

I have not had a AT phone that didn't turn out for the better after burn in. I can definitely hear their potential even on open listen but I can also tell the phones are raw and has zero burn in as usual from AT.

These open up, I am looking forward to them reaching their potential. We will see.

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #31,208 of 100,675

I have not had a AT phone that didn't turn out for the better after burn in. I can definitely hear their potential even on open listen but I can also tell the phones are raw and has zero burn in as usual from AT.

These open up, I am looking forward to them reaching their potential. We will see.

Looking forward to your impressions of the Ath CKS1100 DsNuts! 
wondering also when they will down in price, very expensive now!
thanks for taking the plunge to hear them!

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #31,209 of 100,675
I don't quite get this...this is crowd funded, but the headphones are out there already? And, what about the music player? Any experience with it?

Extra publicity
wink.gif
KS and IGG gets a lot of attention outside of audio community. 

Nov 17, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #31,210 of 100,675
Thanks, now I just have to resist buying these cockamamie Finder X1s
:wink:

Nov 17, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #31,211 of 100,675
OK, this comment is the straw that broke this Camel's black. I'm in for x1!

Look forward to your compare with the LZ-A2!

Nov 17, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #31,212 of 100,675
ears1.jpg
ears2.jpg

So as I'm waiting for a bang-for-the buck to burn-in (and another mid-tier to come in), look what landed on my doorstep today! It's going to take some time before I give these the proper write up they deserve, but let me say this right now. I jumped into the kickstarter for this IEM almost a year ago. It took a long time to receive these, and I was bit frustrated as Vitaliy and his crew worked their magic in designing and manufacturing these IEMs with some new technology.

Vitaliy never told what the sound signature would bee like with the U-12. But having worked with over the years in the purchase of some customs, Vitaliy simply told me that he had no doubt in his mind that I would love the sound signature of 64 Audio's flagship earphone. Although he has never let me down, I was a little skeptical. Why? Well, because I for one didn't buy into the concept of the more BAs used in an earphone the better. And although not 64 Audio, I've heard some multi-BA high-end earphones before that let me down completely.

So, for about 30 minutes I have been sitting at my desk with the AKG K3003, Westone W6, JH Audio Angie, and 64 Audio U-12 top-tier earphones in front of me. I adore the sound of the W6. It's one of my favorite earphones no doubt (dynamic or BA). Th AKG K3003 has it moments of brilliance for a hybrid dynamic/BA earphone. The Angie is really quite outstanding with some of the best bass I've ever heard in any IEM. The layers of details always grab me when listening to it (although it can be a bit bulky and tiresome for my ears while on the move, so I tend to just listen to them at home).

But what can I say about the 64 Audio 12-BAs in each ear universal? I can without a doubt say that the U-12 is the most natural sounding and most dynamic multi-BA in-ear monitor I've ever heard (this is no free sample fellas, before someone tries to go that route with me - not that it would matter because I tell the truth about what I hear good or bad). So I always read the enthusiastic debates on whether one well tuned dynamic or BA can compete with multi-BAs earphones on any given day. You know what, that may be true (and I haven't heard everything that's out here). I have, however, heard my great share, and nothing I own that uses a single driver beats the W6, Angie, or AS-2. And based on the sound signature I love, nothing I've heard beats the U-12. From what I know, multi-BAs can and do make a difference. Or maybe I've just picked some well-tuned IEMs. Vitaliy has hit this one out of the ballpark for me. In some ways the Angie comes close (especially with the bass for both of them, although the bass is presented differently in both of them). Yet when considering the the whole sound, the U-12 is quite a bit ahead than everything else to my ears.

Let me add this caveat: if you are someone who likes bright sounding earphones (or for the highs to ring your ears), the U-12 is probably NOT for you. The treble is not lacking at all, but it's not a bight earphone. I would say the sound signature is almost neutral, but with a slight emphasis on mids and bass. But the holographic fullness and imagery of the sound puts this IEM so close to some of the best headphones I've heard. Layers, details and natural sounding are the three key words that keep hitting me while listening. It's expensive (no doubt), but it's worth it if you can come up with the bucks. I almost forgot one thing: it's one of the most comfortable earphones for my ears (way more comfortable than the Angie). More later.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #31,213 of 100,675
I don't know if I have said before but KZ blue tips are perfect match for CKR9 and CKR9-LTD. 
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #31,215 of 100,675

So as I'm waiting for a bang-for-the buck to burn-in (and another mid-tier to come in), look what landed on my doorstep today! It's going to take some time before I give these the proper write up they deserve, but let me say this right now. I jumped into the kickstarter for this IEM almost a year ago. It took a long time to receive these, and I was bit frustrated as Vitaliy and his crew worked their magic in designing and manufacturing these IEMs with some new technology.

Vitaliy never told what the sound signature would bee like with the U-12. But having worked with over the years in the purchase of some customs, Vitaliy simply told me that he had no doubt in his mind that I would love the sound signature of 64 Audio's flagship earphone. Although he has never let me down, I was a little skeptical. Why? Well, because I for one didn't buy into the concept of the more BAs used in an earphone the better. And although not 64 Audio, I've heard some multi-BA high-end earphones before that let me down completely. 

So, for about 30 minutes I have been sitting at my desk with the AKG K3003, Westone W6, JH Audio Angie, and 64 Audio U-12 top-tier earphones in front of me. I adore the sound of the W6. It's one of my favorite earphones no doubt (dynamic or BA). Th AKG K3003 has it moments of brilliance for a hybrid dynamic/BA earphone. The Angie is really quite outstanding with some of the best bass I've ever heard in any IEM. The layers of details always grab me when listening to it (although it can be a bit bulky and tiresome for my ears while on the move, so I tend to just listen to them at home). 

But what can I say about the 64 Audio 12-BAs in each ear universal? I can without a doubt say that the U-12 is the most natural sounding and most dynamic multi-BA in-ear monitor I've ever heard (this is no free sample fellas, before someone tries to go that route with me - not that it would matter because I tell the truth about what I hear good or bad). So I always read the enthusiastic debates on whether one well tuned dynamic or BA can compete with multi-BAs earphones on any given day. You know what, that may be true (and I haven't heard everything that's out here). I have, however, heard my great share, and nothing I own that uses a single driver beats the W6, Angie, or AS-2. And based on the sound signature I love, nothing I've heard beats the U-12. From what I know, multi-BAs can and do make a difference. Or maybe I've just picked some well-tuned IEMs. Vitaliy has hit this one out of the ballpark for me. In some ways the Angie comes close (especially with the bass for both of them, although the bass is presented differently in both of them). Yet when considering the the whole sound, the U-12 is quite a bit ahead than everything else to my ears. 

Let me add this caveat: if you are someone who likes bright sounding earphones (or for the highs to ring your ears), the U-12 is probably NOT for you. The treble is not lacking at all, but it's not a bight earphone. I would say the sound signature is almost neutral, but with a slight emphasis on mids and bass. But the holographic fullness and imagery of the sound puts this IEM so close to some of the best headphones I've heard. Layers, details and natural sounding are the three key words that keep hitting me while listening. It's expensive (no doubt), but it's worth it if you can come up with the bucks. I almost forgot one thing: it's one of the most comfortable earphones for my ears (way more comfortable than the Angie). More later. 

Great stuff Eric! Looking forward to further impressions for sure :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back