The discovery thread!
Dec 20, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #27,061 of 100,491
The ZA Duoza? Hopefully doesn't turn out to be a DoOver with the issues the Tenore had (I will say my second pair of Tenore has hung in there fine). So far I really love my Bassos, so this is another no brainer like the T2.

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #27,062 of 100,491
i think i'll take a pass on the Duozo and anticipate the T2. 

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #27,063 of 100,491
Hope the QC is better on this in-ear.

Might just pick it up as well, since I omitted to purchase the thinkspund rain for the on1.

you aren't missing a thing with the rain 2. it's a decent iem, with a wide sound stage. that's all in MHO.

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #27,064 of 100,491
11,800 yen. Worth a try

I want to try this one. I wanted to try the A71 but this addresses some things I didn't like too much about that one. Straight down design w/o modification. A RA plug vs. a straight one.

Also want the large tips for my IM-02 as they are similar to the Philips tips but firmer from what I remember from the Tenore tips(they look to be the same tips).

Would look forward to your Duoza and A71 comparison, Danny!

Good timing, just need to sell my Rockets though they probably won't sell till after the holiday. The Duoza will be readily available by then.

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #27,065 of 100,491
I want to try this one. I wanted to try the A71 but this addresses some things I didn't like too much about that one. Straight down design w/o modification. A RA plug vs. a straight one.

Also want the large tips for my IM-02 as they are similar to the Philips tips but firmer from what I remember from the Tenore tips(they look to be the same tips).

Would look forward to your Duoza and A71 comparison, Danny!

Good timing, just need to sell my Rockets though they probably won't sell till after the holiday. The Duoza will be readily available by then.

I'm genuinely curious, why are you selling the rockets? Isnt it an in ear worth keeping, and the most realistic experience you've heard? Or is it that the im02 is a similar and more effective in this regard?

Anywho, I hope this ZA product is worth it.

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #27,066 of 100,491
Yep, it is a special phone as so many who compare it to things like the SE846, ER4, the other high priced Aurisonics and whatever else. The modded IM-02 sounds even better and is easier to drive for unamped use and the Rockets plug does not like FiiO jacks so if it turns at all it will pop out of both the X1 and/or E11K. At one point I thought of keeping the Rockets and losing the Fiio stuff but that synergizes well with my Sony E0921 and that rig is easily as good sounding as the Rockets.

Could buy ear guides and an adapter plug and all would be well for the Rockets but they are similar to the IM-02 in signature and I prefer the brighter, quicker AT a bit more. 

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #27,067 of 100,491
Yep, it is a special phone as so many who compare it to things like the SE846, ER4, the other high priced Aurisonics and whatever else. The modded IM-02 sounds even better and is easier to drive for unamped use and the Rockets plug does not like FiiO jacks so if it turns at all it will pop out of both the X1 and/or E11K. At one point I thought of keeping the Rockets and losing the Fiio stuff but that synergizes well with my Sony E0921 and that rig is easily as good sounding as the Rockets.

You're making me reconsider this zero audio product, why didn't you lie?!

Regardless, it's pretty nifty to read that it is worth keeping, though I guess since I have an im02, I can also mod it...

Ok, thanks jant.

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #27,068 of 100,491
^
gimme dem rockets for a cool $100 jants!!! THIS IS AN ORDER!!!
ksc75smile.gif

How you like the bass in them though??? Cuz folks say they got weaker bass response/depth than even the Zero Audio tenores which is kinda concerning to say the least......

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #27,069 of 100,491
  ^
gimme dem rockets for a cool $100 jants!!! THIS IS AN ORDER!!!
ksc75smile.gif

How you like the bass in them though??? Cuz folks say they got weaker bass response/depth than even the Zero Audio tenores which is kinda concerning to say the least......

Add another $75 to that
tongue.gif
!

They need some juice but having had a reference Tenore, the Rockets are like their big brother. Reference Tenore bass can maybe only match the Rockets bass in extension but inferior in all other respects. They try to do the same things just the Tenore is a shadow of the Rockets potential. Rockets are finicky with tips and if the Titanium resonates and you get some note smear then you can "mistake" the Rockets bass being closer to the Tenore but you'd be hearing the Rockets sub-par for sure. Rockets have a bass amount in between the IM-02 and the Tenore; a pretty neutral dynamic that can punch nicely when called for. It does love EQ and can thunder if you do EQ the bass.

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #27,070 of 100,491

Add another $75 to that
tongue.gif
!

They need some juice but having had a reference Tenore, the Rockets are like their big brother. Reference Tenore bass can maybe only match the Rockets bass in extension but inferior in all other respects. They try to do the same things just the Tenore is a shadow of the Rockets potential. Rockets are finicky with tips and if the Titanium resonates and you get some note smear then you can "mistake" the Rockets bass being closer to the Tenore but you'd be hearing the Rockets sub-par for sure.

^
Pisssssssssssh why would i do that if there is already a set for $140 shipped on the sales forums and it's the black sets not the ugly red/blue/white combo???
rolleyes.gif
i might be a hype hipster but i ain't crazy, so can't make myself pay more than $125 for those tbh hence even at the $140 price i ain't tempted. 
cool.gif

Sweet good to know, wish ASG followed through with their "antiloops" as they had initially promised.....
http://www.head-fi.org/t/683007/the-hype-appreciation-thread/2130#post_11145429

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #27,071 of 100,491
TroLoLoLoLoLoLoLoLoLoLoLoLO!!!
popcorn.gif

Quote: http://www.head-fi.org/t/703874/jvc-ha-fx850-iem-woody/405#post_11143632

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/b/b4/100x100px-LS-b4613cc4_15238-chc.jpg[/img]
  1. james444
  2. badge_contributor.v3479891814.png
  4. offline
  1. 5,420 Posts. Joined 8/2004
  2. Location: Vienna, Austria

FX1100 update: Hate to say it, but after a few more hours of in-depth listening and comparing to the FX850, I'm officially unimpressed.

Let's start with the best part, treble is really a tad less forward and smoother than on the FX850, while still retaining excellent detail and sparkle. This tuning makes it easier to listen to and less fatiguing than the latter's, particularly if you listen at louder volume.

The midrange, like I said earlier, sounds a smidgen better fleshed out than on the FX850. I'm not quite sure though, whether that's due to a more forward tuning, or just a side-effect of slightly less pronounced treble (i.e. less masking by higher frequencies).

However, the range from lower mids down to midbass is, sorry to say, not worthy of a flagship phone. Not only is it boosted and skews tonality towards warmth, but at the same time it sounds murky and congested in comparison to the FX850 and impairs dynamics and soundstage, both of which make the latter such an enjoyable IEM.

Things get back to normal below midbass, and, as I mentioned, bass feels overall a bit tighter and less reverberant on the FX1100. But I truly can understand those who auditioned both phones and ended up picking the FX850, because frankly, they're overall undoubtedly the better sounding choice.

As for the j444 mod, yes it partly mitigates the FX1100's low range issues. To be completely honest, I can't even listen to the stock sound for longer than a minute, without starting to wonder what the guys at JVC were thinking. However, the mod is far from a remedy, and the only option I can think of right now is to tinker with the back vent.

TL;DR: So far I just can't see how the FX1100 is supposed to be an upgrade over the FX850, let alone a flagship IEM.
redface.gif

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #27,072 of 100,491
You're making me reconsider this zero audio product, why didn't you lie?!

Regardless, it's pretty nifty to read that it is worth keeping, though I guess since I have an im02, I can also mod it...

Ok, thanks jant.

I have an official Ety P to S cable. Can't vouch the performance of other impedance adapters but the 75Ohm or about that it gives does tighten the IM-02 up and giving a much cleaner tighter note revealing more clarity/transparency/detail. A purer IM-02 that isn't trying to sound thicker with a bit more decay and rounded notes. Maybe not for everyone since they get brighter as a side effect EQ treble reduction is important as well as a really good tight seal. That seal gives the maximum bass, curbs the brightness, and keeps something the IM-02 gain from the mod; some visceral feel. The stock IM-02 is soft and the modded IM-02 have notes you can "feel" better across the range. 

@ Mastertroll. Yep, someone doesn't have patience I guess. No need to sell mine which is like new and I paid $199 for, for a ton less just because it is right before the holiday and people are buying presents and such, demand is low, and less eyes are on it. Things will go back to normal in a week and people with be back to buying their own stuff with some Christmas money.  Though someone will get a great deal from someone who gets scared of something that isn't selling immediately and drops the price quick. Or, maybe ripped by someone who got in at the $99 Kickstarter price and flips? I was so wrong thinking I could try the Rockets later on as people would sell some $99 kickstarter funded ones for a similar. Never saw one for under $150 till now so I bought a new pair.

Probably the Zero Audio Duoza is more your sound anyhow and for me a change of pace from the IM-02 whilst not as technical may have the big stage and good tuning and a fun smooth sound. I think you can trust ZA for tuning more than TTPOD anyhow :)

Oh yeah that FX1100 was a money grab. Big profit in that with little outlay. Didn't I say the FX850 and the right cable and save $$$. Too risky and that solder thing was such a load.

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #27,073 of 100,491
The X5 and A71 are so synergetic, that I don't need the C5 to amp them, and they still sound out of this world, and they don't lose any detail. 

Dec 20, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #27,074 of 100,491
  The X5 and A71 are so synergetic, that I don't need the C5 to amp them, and they still sound out of this world, and they don't lose any detail. 

Yeah, that's how I feel about the A71's along with the ihifi 770. Very nice synergy. No feeling of "I wish I could amp these to make them sound fuller and add a touch of bass boost". Nope, not required.

Dec 20, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #27,075 of 100,491

Yeah, that's how I feel about the A71's along with the ihifi 770. Very nice synergy. No feeling of "I wish I could amp these to make them sound fuller and add a touch of bass boost". Nope, not required.

+1. We got the same experience. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back