The discovery thread!
Dec 2, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #26,851 of 100,446
  I didn't detect any sibilance vlenbo and using the smartphone cable. 

Thank you very much danny!

Update: Vocals are beautiful in this headphone, way better than the re700 (meh), and definitely is an improvement over the mikros90's vocal presentation, but only because it sounds more airy and transparent. The bass quantity is similar between the two, though the bass impact will have to go to the on-ear mikros.

I find the bass to be quite soft, which is something I didn't expect. I hoped it would be a little rougher or solid. The treble is a huge improvement over the mikros as it sounds slightly more detailed without becoming sibilant, and it is smoother too.

Stage is still amazing, quite tall and great amount of depth.

Danny, you were right. I LOVE this headphone!

I just wish it had a bit more bass and subbass so I could feel the impact of those drums. Other than that, I think audio technica has a winner on their hands. The headband padding is something they should fix though, it kind of hurts to wear this.

Dec 2, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #26,852 of 100,446
I had more trouble with the A83 than A71. But, I am using both with shallow fit. I read that most have some sort of trouble with fit on the A71 as well but for me, that one is one of the best I've come across. Using UE900 tips with that one and Final Audio tips with the A83.

Just got the A71's. Yup, fit is very nice - they just sit in my ears perfectly. Very comfortable. I like the memory wire. Using the UE900 tips that you so graciously provided to me a while back, and yup, these A71's are the real friggin' deal. Love them already. 
beerchug.gif

yes indeed! and the a71 has a woofer also with two dynamics! very LIVE sound..

Yes, a beautiful sound indeed!

Dec 2, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #26,853 of 100,446

Just got the A71's. Yup, fit is very nice - they just sit in my ears perfectly. Very comfortable. I like the memory wire. Using the UE900 tips that you so graciously provided to me a while back, and yup, these A71's are the real friggin' deal. Love them already.
beerchug.gif

Yes, a beautiful sound indeed!

Glad it's working out already and if you happen to hear the mid-bass being a little strong, they'll settle nicely.

Dec 2, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #26,854 of 100,446
Hmmm, it must not be shaped like the A83, which is great sounding, but not an easy fit.

Dec 2, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #26,855 of 100,446
Dec 2, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #26,856 of 100,446
  Received my ATH-MSR7.

Impressions: OH MAN GOSH DANG.

The vocals are a good improvement over the ckr lineup. The voices are a bit more subdued in the detail and I believe the 5khz dip has been fixed with this headphone as strings have better bite now. The highs are frigging amazing!!!!! The bass is just right in amount of quantity like danny said (though it depends on the song), and even better, the bass is tight.

The staging is great in height and has plenty of depth.

THIS HEADPHONE ROCKS!!!!!

Until I heard the lower treble sound slightly OH SO SLIGHTLY sibilant to my ears. :frowning2:

Danny, if you can, would you mind listening to beatle's norwegian wood? There was an annoying sibilance (slight very slight) that caught my attention. It's when they play with the finger cymbals I believe.

EDIT: THe headphones look gorgeous in gunmetal, looks like jant was not playing with my heartstrings when he recommended them. Thanks bud!

The pads are comfortable as heck, the clamp is definitely tight enough to harm one's head, but the padding helps mitigate this possible problem.

The vocals for females are awesome, and the treble sounds fantastic. The lower treble may have a potential sibilance, and the bass is nicely textured. The stage is intimate but has a great height and depth once again. Strings have better weight and crunch compared to the ckr series.

It seems you're falling in love with it already. Now tell me are they worth the upgrade from the ckr9s? And where did you order them from and how much?

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #26,857 of 100,446
  It seems you're falling in love with it already. Now tell me are they worth the upgrade from the ckr9s? And where did you order them from and how much?

It depends.

The msr7 fixes the possible 5khz problem that the ckr series had, meaning that strings have better crunch, improving the timbre from the ckr series.

However, there are two caveats.

The 6khz region might have a slight peak that causes the lower treble to cause potential sibilance....

The second, the subbass is somewhat present, but disappointing compared to the ckr9s. The bass itself does not provide a good impact imo to compete against the ckr lineup. However, the vocals and treble are the biggest points of this headphone, in addition to its wonderful 3d soundstage presentation.

It depends what you are looking for.

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #26,858 of 100,446
  It depends.

The msr7 fixes the possible 5khz problem that the ckr series had, meaning that strings have better crunch, improving the timbre from the ckr series.

However, there are two caveats.

The 6khz region might have a slight peak that causes the lower treble to cause potential sibilance....

The second, the subbass is somewhat present, but disappointing compared to the ckr9s. The bass itself does not provide a good impact imo to compete against the ckr lineup. However, the vocals and treble are the biggest points of this headphone, in addition to its wonderful 3d soundstage presentation.

It depends what you are looking for.

Ok thanks mate, how much did you get them for?

Dec 2, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #26,859 of 100,446

$300 at amazon japan.

Now they're at $250 if you buy from EC-JOY.

While I posted those positive impressions.

The negatives still stand in my ears.

Cons - 

Needs more visceral bass impact at least

The lower treble becomes a pain to bear with, which is similar to the re700s. The difference is that the issue is somewhat mitigated, but is still problematic in recordings like J-POP.

I know j-pop has the forwarded mids and treble, but it becomes unbearable to my hearing. The ckr9s were at least able to mitigate a lower treble problem, though the upper midrange can be a pain to bear with the j-pop recordings.

Make no mistake, even the mikros90 faces such sibilant problems, even with an amplifier (using the cayin c5).

Just that the mikros suffers middle treble sibilance, which is also annoying imo. I cannot handle the pain of treble in any region of the frequency. 

Dec 2, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #26,860 of 100,446
  $300 at amazon japan.

Cons - 

The lower treble becomes a pain to bear with, which is similar to the re700s. The difference is that the issue is somewhat mitigated, but is still problematic in recordings like J-POP.

I know j-pop has the forwarded mids and treble, but it becomes unbearable to my hearing. The ckr9s were at least able to mitigate a lower treble problem, though the upper midrange can be a pain to bear with the j-pop recordings.

Make no mistake, even the mikros90 faces such sibilant problems, even with an amplifier (using the cayin c5).

Just that the mikros suffers middle treble sibilance, which is also annoying imo. I cannot handle the pain of treble in any region of the frequency. 

I just found out about kakaku and ECjoy site you mentioned and indeed is cheaper there. Do they ship internationally or I need a referer?

About msr7, I am aware like you said it has slightly better timbre and vocals. But the bass is a bummer, I'd like to have rumbles to my music lol Anyway I am deciding between the fx850 which are only $200 now or spend a lil extra for the jvc fx1100. Hmm I need to have those insanely good timbre in my inventory 
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #26,861 of 100,446

$300 at amazon japan.

Cons - 

These headphones literally sound perfect for me except for the lack of bass impact! What a shame...
frown.gif

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #26,862 of 100,446
I consider myself a lover of bass but I don't find these to be bass light. I actually love how tight the bass is and quantity is fine but not on the level of CKR's. I can't stand sibilance either but I don't hear any. At least in the range that bothers me. These are the best portable cans I've heard.

Dec 3, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #26,863 of 100,446
I consider myself a lover of bass but I don't find these to be bass light. I actually love how tight the bass is and quantity is fine but not on the level of CKR's. I can't stand sibilance either but I don't hear any. At least in the range that bothers me. These are the best portable cans I've heard.

^
Not interested in these ATH portables that much but just wondering how is their bass quantity as well as quality compared to the ATH WS99's which had that "solid bass" moniker but wasn't really THAT bassy. LoL

If these had mo' bass depth/ slam than those WS99 then there is no need to worry about their bass tbh.

Dec 3, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #26,864 of 100,446
^
Not interested in these ATH portables that much but just wondering how is their bass quantity as well as quality compared to the ATH WS99's which had that "solid bass" moniker but wasn't really THAT bassy. LoL

If these had mo' bass depth/ slam than those WS99 then there is no need to worry about their bass tbh.

Way less bass quantity, less depth, less slam. Better quality.

Dec 3, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #26,865 of 100,446

Oh my mistake, it's not that it's bass light, it actually has enough bass to satisfy me personally.

It's the bass impact that leaves me disappointed is all. I just expected the msr7 to have a similar impact to the ckr series is all, hehe.
Way less bass quantity, less depth, less slam. Better quality.

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back