The discovery thread!
Nov 15, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #26,686 of 100,720
The jvc's are hard to beat still. They just have a very addicting sound but the A83's are so detailed and instrument placement is nice. Has a fun signature also. The A83's might be a better buy though since the bass isn't offensive at all.

hows the fit? Is it not for everyone? The shell/earpiece seems to be bit larger......

Nov 15, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #26,687 of 100,720
Heyo Discov. Folks, Sorry for the lack of pics, life's been a tad busy
Alright, Alright, so, first impressions on the V1 ZMF's
Airy, airy, airy. These things are some of the airiest closed cans I've heard to date. And with a surprisingly analytical sound signature, with a slight edge more mids. They are just generally great at every genre I've thrown at them, and are AMAZING at gaming (as long as you plug the cable's in the right sides :p ) in general. They've got heaps of detail and remind me of my HD800's in that fact. The Shure 1440 pads on these are the softest, most comfortable ear pads I've ever worn and the pilot head-pad is uber soft and holds all the heft of this set well on my (relatively strong) head. My favorite genre for these is Drum and Bass (or similar alternatives) because they play snares, hi-hats and synthe beats sooo well. There is slight roll-off that you can sense in very, very high tones (I've had the unfortunate luck to find this out when something I was programming ran a tone at an ultra-high frequency), think about 19khz or 18khz. These things are POWER CHOMPERS, fed them my receivers 1/4 inch output and pushed about a watt and a bit and these still sounded like they could take more. They tested well with my x3 and my Magni, but could only become so loud. Hopefully as soon as I get myself a new desk, I'll get myself a better amp to drive these off of. Aesthetically, the finish on the sidebars, and the carbon sidebars was quite good for a one-man job (with slight bits of the carbon sliders jutting very slightly) and the cables are excellently hefty and sturdy, with well built connectors. All-in-all these are my favorite closed 'phones I've had the privilege of owning.
I will test some burn-in on them later tomorrow and then possibly post results.

Big thanks to SF the masta troll for the RTJ2 album recommendation, schiit was great for testing PRAT and just overall was a BLAST.

One of my favorite tracks to test the bass freq.s was this track I found from an icelandic group:
[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqSgSffvFGU[/VIDEO]
I HIGHLY recommend looking into this album if you're into this track, it get's really weird from after it and it's a strangely beautiful weirdness

My sources were either my HD Music streamer II (best), Fiio X3 (second best), Pioneer something-and-a-rather reciever (was from late 2011, 3rd best) and my samsung galaxy s4 (worst, by a long shot).

Nov 15, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #26,688 of 100,720
  So is it the treble or uppermids? 
tongue.gif

Treble lacks quite a bit, and the lower  treble needs some work imo. The uppermids are definitely forwarded.

once I get my ckr9s back and had enough time with the new ath-msr7s, I'll probably tour the headphones as well...

^
Most likely the uppermids cuz tested my tracks for treble sibilance/ harshness and their highs are pretty gentle to my ears. Almost on par/ similar extension as the Sony H3s in that regards.

Now that i mentioned it the Brainwavz S5 seems to have a similar of harshness as these CKR9's. Interesting.....

Airy, airy, airy. These things are some of the airiest closed cans I've heard to date. And with a surprisingly analytical sound signature, with a slight edge more mids. They are just generally great at every genre I've thrown at them, and are AMAZING at gaming (as long as you plug the cable's in the right sides :p ) in general. They've got heaps of detail and remind me of my HD800's in that fact. The Shure 1440 pads on these are the softest, most comfortable ear pads I've ever worn and the pilot head-pad is uber soft and holds all the heft of this set well on my (relatively strong) head. My favorite genre for these is Drum and Bass (or similar alternatives) because they play snares, hi-hats and synthe beats sooo well. There is slight roll-off that you can sense in very, very high tones (I've had the unfortunate luck to find this out when something I was programming ran a tone at an ultra-high frequency), think about 19khz or 18khz. These things are POWER CHOMPERS, fed them my receivers 1/4 inch output and pushed about a watt and a bit and these still sounded like they could take more. They tested well with my x3 and my Magni, but could only become so loud. Hopefully as soon as I get myself a new desk, I'll get myself a better amp to drive these off of. Aesthetically, the finish on the sidebars, and the carbon sidebars was quite good for a one-man job (with slight bits of the carbon sliders jutting very slightly) and the cables are excellently hefty and sturdy, with well built connectors. All-in-all these are my favorite closed 'phones I've had the privilege of owning.

Big thanks to SF the masta troll for the RTJ2 album recommendation, schiit was great for testing PRAT and just overall was a BLAST.

One of my favorite tracks to test the bass freq.s was this track I found from an icelandic group:I HIGHLY recommend looking into this album if you're into this track, it get's really weird from after it and it's a strangely beautiful weirdness

My sources were either my HD Music streamer II (best), Fiio X3 (second best), Pioneer something-and-a-rather reciever (was from late 2011, 3rd best) and my samsung galaxy s4 (worst, by a long shot).

^
Dood pics or IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. Same goes for those godly Senni HD800 of yours as well. Strange not sure if ZMF retuned his V1s but your set seems to sound VERY different from the set that i auditioned a lil' while back alone with the Madd Dog 3.2s. Hmmm......
... purple set to the left is the ZMF V1's, Red cable set in front is the Madd Dog 3.2, the other two are my custom Nickerfies. :  )

Nov 15, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #26,689 of 100,720
  ^
Most likely the uppermids cuz tested my tracks for treble sibilance/ harshness and their highs are pretty gentle to my ears. Almost on par/ similar extension as the Sony H3s in that regards.

Now that i mentioned it the Brainwavz S5 seems to have a similar of harshness as these CKR9's. Interesting.....

Alright, just making sure!

If you want, I'll tour the msr7s for you to hear the headphone reality, but that will have to be after new years.

Hope you and the gang whom I already gathered won't mind waiting.

Nov 15, 2014 at 4:28 AM Post #26,690 of 100,720

So is it the treble or uppermids? :p

Treble lacks quite a bit, and the lower  treble needs some work imo. The uppermids are definitely forwarded.

once I get my ckr9s back and had enough time with the new ath-msr7s, I'll probably tour the headphones as well...

^

One of my favorite tracks to test the bass freq.s was this track I found from an icelandic group:I HIGHLY recommend looking into this album if you're into this track, it get's really weird from after it and it's a strangely beautiful weirdness

^
Dood pics or IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. Same goes for those godly Senni HD800 of yours as well. Strange not sure if ZMF retuned his V1s but your set seems to sound VERY different from the set that i auditioned a lil' while back alone with the Madd Dog 3.2s. Hmmm......

... purple set to the left is the ZMF V1's, Red cable set in front is the Madd Dog 3.2, the other two are my custom Nickerfies. :  )

Alright SF, Guess I'll do a 4 am photo shoot, just for ya :D

The HD800's, obviously

The ZMF's, Oh and to answer your question, the sound might be the result of me asking Zach if he could do the rewiring with silver cable, so that might be it.

Here's a pic of my two current favorites side by side.

Nov 15, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #26,691 of 100,720
The jvc's are hard to beat still. They just have a very addicting sound but the A83's are so detailed and instrument placement is nice. Has a fun signature also. The A83's might be a better buy though since the bass isn't offensive at all.

Been listening to them for many days now, are open, wide, detailed, bass is inofensive and ample, I suppose, I'd like a touch more detail and presence there, though I can certainly live with what's there. Then again, these are shallow insertion iem's, I generally have fit problems with these kind. Think I have a decent fit/seal with lots of adjusting, but find the fit odd, possible the seal could still be a bit better (which would change the bass).

Nov 15, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #26,692 of 100,720
^
Hmmm those JVC woodies are only like $215 via a 3rd party in Amazon jpn which is kinda tempting but i still have my reserves for them for some reason despite they have had got great feedback from most buyers.

Getting a Sony EX1000 in for an audition soon so will see how i like that sound siggy. But the recent impression of those being bass-lite has got me a bit worried. :triportsad: Think i might hold it out a bit longer before i fully commit. haha

Then Altones/KC06A will be in as well as those rockets............... soon. :ph34r:

Think we might have lost ekey boi. LMAO :  (

edit: those ATH CKS1000 above are your old sets by the way Danny. :D

The bass quality, linearity, and extension is incredibly good and it's a really weighty bass, but I can see where that comment is coming from as there can almost be a sense of masking because of the treble spikes sometimes.

The CKR's are better than the CKS1K's but the FX850 sounds better than the CKR's, IMO. I still really like the bass on the CKR's but vocals aren't doing it for me anymore since hearing something like the Fidue's.

The EX1K's bass is amazing. Vocals are great too but make sure to filter your ears for that nasty treble.

I can agree with this without even having to think about it, if significantly elevated bass is something you can handle. Their ability to go from an incredibly gentle and light touch to sledgehammer is still astounding to me, and relatedly, their dynamics are just top notch. Timbre needs not even be mentioned.

They are seriously making me consider the FX1100. Iirc, the translated impressions posted here indicated that the FX850 was quite nimble, which is what I was also describing above. Which means yah there may actually be something to this twice the price flagship... If they hear and listen how I do.

Edited for accuracy.

Nov 15, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #26,693 of 100,720
hows the fit? Is it not for everyone? The shell/earpiece seems to be bit larger......

I don't mind the size of the shell and its not uncomfortable. As drjazz mentions, the shallow fit and getting the wires to stay over ear is the tricky part. Definitely not an earphone you can wear for sporting.

^
Yeah i can't listen to these CKR9 without treble EQed down at all esp. on my FiiO X5/Cayin C5 combo. Sounds wayyy too crisp, big and fatiguing and makes my ears ring only after like 15 mins.
:  (

I don't have issues with treble spikes unlike the CKS1K's. The vocals or part of the vocal reproduction seems to be forced at you which can become fatiguing. I don't detect sibilants though.

Can only listen to them on my Clip+ EQed down but it's still a bit much at tymes. There is a nasty peak in their upper mids/treble somewhere which needs to be smoothed out fo' sho.

Otherwise this is a great sounding set and their bass is damn nice with good texture and rumble to it as well now that i have listened to them more.

For sure bests the old CKS1Ks, but what is this "EX1K's" you're talking about??? LoL

Have to EQ down the treble on my Clip+ for those CKS1Ks as well. :  )

edit: N/M you're talking about those Sony EX1000s. haha

Been listening to them for many days now, are open, wide, detailed, bass is inofensive and ample, I suppose, I'd like a touch more detail and presence there, though I can certainly live with what's there. Then again, these are shallow insertion iem's, I generally have fit problems with these kind. Think I have a decent fit/seal with lots of adjusting, but find the fit odd, possible the seal could still be a bit better (which would change the bass).

I find them very detailed. Maybe a wider bore tip. I'm using the Final Audio "B" tips

The bass quality, linearity, and extension is incredibly good and it's a really weighty bass, but I can see where that comment is coming from as there can almost be a sense of masking because of the treble spikes sometimes.
I can agree with this without even having to think about it, if significantly elevated bass is something you can handle. Their ability to go from an incredibly gentle and light touch to sledgehammer is still astounding to me, and relatedly, their dynamics are just top notch. Timbre needs not even be mentioned.

They are seriously making me consider the FX1100. Iirc, the translated impressions posted here indicated that the FX850 was quite nimble, which is what I was also describing above. Which means yah there may actually be something to this twice the price flagship... If they hear and listen how I do.

Edited for accuracy.

What vwinter said but that elevated bass for some reason I dig very much which can't be said for most sets with that much bass.

Nov 15, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #26,694 of 100,720
Can she someone suggest an earphone with some weight on the bottom end with an overall good balance and soundstage with good clarity and detail.  Something similar to the ckr9 Woukd be nice.  Also no over the ear for and thanks.  All the earphones that are suggested to me arpra problem armature.  The thinh with these armatures or higher-end earphones is that even though they have top detail and clarity, the soundstage and depth usually lacks with an emphasis towards the upper parts and have bass that do not extend and or rumble properly and lack warmth. I am open to them though. I am not a basshead, but I do prefer weight on the bottom end.  Thanks

Nov 15, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #26,695 of 100,720
  Can she someone suggest an earphone with some weight on the bottom end with an overall good balance and soundstage with good clarity and detail.  Something similar to the ckr9 Woukd be nice.  Also no over the ear for and thanks.  All the earphones that are suggested to me arpra problem armature.  The thinh with these armatures or higher-end earphones is that even though they have top detail and clarity, the soundstage and depth usually lacks with an emphasis towards the upper parts and have bass that do not extend and or rumble properly and lack warmth. I am open to them though. I am not a basshead, but I do prefer weight on the bottom end.  Thanks

sounds like FX850 can tick all those boxes (from what i've read)

Nov 15, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #26,696 of 100,720
  sounds like FX850 can tick all those boxes (from what i've read)

Way more bass and treble than the CKR9. Otherwise, probably.

What vwinter said but that elevated bass for some reason I dig very much which can't be said for most sets with that much bass.

Yea, its tuned very well. I like it too. Though it was interesting to get less amplitude but sharper impact from a front vent mod(but it killed isolation). Just if someone is looking for flat and/or un-emphasized bass, then its not really their ticket. Though i would still recommend they try it if they get the opportunity.

Nov 15, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #26,697 of 100,720

I don't mind the size of the shell and its not uncomfortable. As drjazz mentions, the shallow fit and getting the wires to stay over ear is the tricky part. Definitely not an earphone you can wear for sporting.

^
Yeah i can't listen to these CKR9 without treble EQed down at all esp. on my FiiO X5/Cayin C5 combo. Sounds wayyy too crisp, big and fatiguing and makes my ears ring only after like 15 mins.
:  (

I don't have issues with treble spikes unlike the CKS1K's. The vocals or part of the vocal reproduction seems to be forced at you which can become fatiguing. I don't detect sibilants though.

Can only listen to them on my Clip+ EQed down but it's still a bit much at tymes. There is a nasty peak in their upper mids/treble somewhere which needs to be smoothed out fo' sho.

Otherwise this is a great sounding set and their bass is damn nice with good texture and rumble to it as well now that i have listened to them more.

For sure bests the old CKS1Ks, but what is this "EX1K's" you're talking about??? LoL

Have to EQ down the treble on my Clip+ for those CKS1Ks as well. :  )

edit: N/M you're talking about those Sony EX1000s. haha

I find them very detailed. Maybe a wider bore tip. I'm using the Final Audio "B" tips

Edited for accuracy.

I wasn't very clear, when I mentioned detail, I was referring to the bass, maybe tightness would have been a better word. The detail otherwise, I'd agree, is superb.

Nov 15, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #26,698 of 100,720

and whats your budget?....that also help others to arrive at some specific models......

Nov 15, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #26,699 of 100,720

Jeez, I thought I had the 850 lust out of my system, but you guys are re-igniting it over again lol!

Nov 15, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #26,700 of 100,720
Alright SF, Guess I'll do a 4 am photo shoot, just for ya
biggrin.gif

The HD800's, obviously

The ZMF's, Oh and to answer your question, the sound might be the result of me asking Zach if he could do the rewiring with silver cable, so that might be it.

Here's a pic of my two current favorites side by side.

^
merci beaucoup.
beerchug.gif

But HOLY CRAP where you get all dem nut$$$$$o gears from??? So jelly right now. So how you enjoying those bass sissy HD800 anyways.
tongue.gif

^
DEWiTTT in the spirit of DISCOVERY!!! THIS THREAD DEPENDS ON YOU V!!!
... V's up boi!!!

The CKR's are better than the CKS1K's but the FX850 sounds better than the CKR's, IMO. I still really like the bass on the CKR's but vocals aren't doing it for me anymore since hearing something like the Fidue's.

The EX1K's bass is amazing. Vocals are great too but make sure to filter your ears for that nasty treble.

^
Oh great from your impressions as well as Vs, the EX1000s are worth a try then. But not according to these mofos. LoL
http://www.head-fi.org/t/742173/sony-mdr-ex1000-vs-t-peos-altone200-fight

Quote: http://www.head-fi.org/t/742173/sony-mdr-ex1000-vs-t-peos-altone200-fight/15#post_11045383

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/3/34/100x100px-LS-34f82aa7_HD800.jpeg[/img]
  1. lin0003
  2. badge_headphoneusSupremus.v2411770217.png

Nice comparison. I liked the Altone more by quite a margin. The EX1000 is good, but the bass is too light for me and I love the HD800...

^
Welp he was wrong regarding how those Dunu DN1000s blew the gr07 BEs outta' the water so..... hope he is also wayyy off here as well. But LoL, even mo' bass lite than dem bass sissy HD800.
triportsad.gif

Alright, just making sure!

If you want, I'll tour the msr7s for you to hear the headphone reality, but that will have to be after new years.

Hope you and the gang whom I already gathered won't mind waiting.

^
I might be interested in those ATH cans but probably ain't gonna buy them anyways so.... will see how the hype goes on those. :  )

Jeez, I thought I had the 850 lust out of my system, but you guys are re-igniting it over again lol!

^
Tell me about it, their $215 current price on amazon jpn via Amazon ain't helping with that woodie lust whatsoever as well. :  (

But have already held out for this long mind as well wait it out some mo'???

Damn it Danny send me your set so i can hear them for meself!!!

If they are THAT good i am willing to toss down $200. :  ) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back