The discovery thread!
Nov 8, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #26,536 of 100,752
  Owning all of those phones you mentioned. I was not as impressed with any of them out of box like I was with these Fidue A83s. The A83s has the added benefit of BA precision with that dynamic driver for bass and sounds very cohesive. Again let me get some much needed burn in of the phones before I do some comparisons but so far I am completely blown away with how good these phones are. The sound tuning is clearly on an expert level. Benny Tan seems to know his sound tuning to a fine art form.

I can say the IM03 with an upgraded cable is on a similar level of sound refinement to these A83s and both are a level up from the CKR9s.  But the one aspect I like about these A83 is that they are actually cheaper than the IM03 as these do not need upgraded cables. They come with a high end cable attached to them probably adding to the refinement of the sound I am hearing from them.

Another one to look into is the CKR10s. Those are no joke either. Too many great phones. lol.

I have not heard the IM03 yet but I have auditioned the CKR10s, awesome vocals and more bass quantity with slower decay compared to CKR9s. But If I were to upgrade this time, I'd like to go with sq superior than CKR10s because I feel CKR9s are not even far of from 10s. So do you think A83 is similar to CKR10s? They are about the same price right. I trust your opinion because I feel we pretty much have the same interest in sound sig 
wink_face.gif

Nov 8, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #26,537 of 100,752
  I have not heard the IM03 yet but I have auditioned the CKR10s, awesome vocals and more bass quantity with slower decay compared to CKR9s. But If I were to upgrade this time, I'd like to go with sq superior than CKR10s because I feel CKR9s are not even far of from 10s. So do you think A83 is similar to CKR10s? They are about the same price right. I trust your opinion because I feel we pretty much have the same interest in sound sig 
wink_face.gif

Tough question. I would say they both compete with each other, but different sound signatures. If you're patient, I would say take a chance on the Ambient 12. 12-BAs for $500 for a $1k + earphone and 1964 EARS' name behind it? I trust it. They haven't let me down yet.

Nov 8, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #26,538 of 100,752
I actually think the IM03 with stock cable sounds great and detailed, but I can't wait to hear it with upgrade cable. The IM03 is very dynamic sounding for an all-BA earphone.The A3 leans toward analytical (although it is not really). I can't say one is better than the other, but I prefer the AT.

Nov 8, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #26,539 of 100,752
A NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHES
Not really, it's just been awhile
Anyways, I've got a pair of Fostex T50 ZMF's comin in guys with the copper and carbon color scheme and silver-plated copper cabling, will put up a review as well as impressions in the coming days

NOW ONTO OLD NEWS:
If any of you folks might remember the last time I spoke on here, I promised a review of the AKG k545 and the Teac Ze-1000 and well... uh, I don't got any but I can post some quick impressions for the two (you guys probably won't care anyways :p )

AKG K545
Beautiful slight V-sound signature, with the bass having a bit more attention than the highs. The detailing is pretty nice but not as phenomenal as my DT250's. Comfort is very, very high in my arsenal (almost beats the HD800 in short term, and matches with the DT250 for long term). The soundstage is standard for a headphone of it's size, with a slight emphasis in width rather than depth. It's speed and PRAT is measurable, but won't win any awards. The positioning is excellent for a closed headphone, especially with a good DAC and Amp (a schiit stack would work quite well). There is small roll-off in the highs that is only noticeable with high-tuned cymbals. Overall I'd recommend these for when you want a pair of stylish, all-around headphones that are fun and comfy as heck.

TEAC ZE-1000
A very analytical sound signature. It's most notable features are it's airiness and speed, with both being deft and fantastic for fast-paced music. It's detailing in the highs and mids is better than my X10 (a hefty compliment as the Teacs were half the price), but it's bass detailing isn't as optimal. The bass in general is slightly anemic compared with the rest of the spectrum, but it doesn't bleed and it reaches quite low. The pancake tips can be uncomfortable as hell at times, while at others they are really nice (a good general tip is that you keep the ear-tips wet with skin oils rather than water and to clean the sides of your ear canal before use). The build quality (as SF probably knows) is pretty shoddy and the capsule even came apart awhile back and I had to super glue it back. Overall, if you can find a cheap pair, these phones are damn good for fast-paced classical music, electronic music (think trance) and some rock. But it's definitely not good for hiphop or other slower, more bass-heavy genres unless if you wouldn't mind some EQing. They also play nice with most amps (stay away with anything past a watt though, when I tried it out with a speaker receiver once (bout 2 or 3 watts, I believe), they hissed pretty annoyingly.

In anycase, might you guys give me any ideas on what kinda discoveries I missed out on in my absence?

EDIT: 420 posts boooiiis

Nov 8, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #26,540 of 100,752

Tough question. I would say they both compete with each other, but different sound signatures. If you're patient, I would say take a chance on the Ambient 12. 12-BAs for $500 for a $1k + earphone and 1964 EARS' name behind it? I trust it. They haven't let me down yet.

True True thats why I was comtemplating getting the Ambient 12 drivers too, at $500 you get 12 drivers with a new tech and coming from a company like 1964 its just mindblowing. I had auditioned their lineup and really liked the v6 and v6s. The qis had awesome vocals too. It was only the V8s i felt had too much bass for my preference. A company who has provided really good customs with fairly cheap prices compared to other competitors suddenly raise their flaghip model to over 2 times its current flagship model v8. It shows their confidence in their new lineups and break through. So effectively the 12 driver ambient is even priced more than U8 their supposedly currently tuned flagship. That should mean something right. But $500 would be the max I can put into an iem lol and this might be the time.

Nov 8, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #26,541 of 100,752
To my knowledge the Ambient series are not under 1964 Ears though. 1964 Ears are in partnership with Stephen Ambrose to manufacture the RealLoud Technology (ADEL). Ambrose owns the Asius Technologies company which are offering the Ambient series, whereas 1964 Ears are offering the U-Series and custom A-series, in which both companies will be applying ADEL tech to their latest offerings. Only the models with 1964|ADEL in front are under 1964 Ears

Nov 8, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #26,542 of 100,752
  To my knowledge the Ambient series are not under 1964 Ears though. 1964 Ears are in partnership with Stephen Ambrose to manufacture the RealLoud Technology (ADEL). Ambrose owns the Asius Technologies company which are offering the Ambient series, whereas 1964 Ears are offering the U-Series and custom A-series, in which both companies will be applying ADEL tech to their latest offerings. Only the models with 1964|ADEL in front are under 1964 Ears

I think you're right on this. I need to read up more. 

Nov 8, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #26,543 of 100,752
  True True thats why I was comtemplating getting the Ambient 12 drivers too, at $500 you get 12 drivers with a new tech and coming from a company like 1964 its just mindblowing. I had auditioned their lineup and really liked the v6 and v6s. The qis had awesome vocals too. It was only the V8s i felt had too much bass for my preference. A company who has provided really good customs with fairly cheap prices compared to other competitors suddenly raise their flaghip model to over 2 times its current flagship model v8. It shows their confidence in their new lineups and break through. So effectively the 12 driver ambient is even priced more than U8 their supposedly currently tuned flagship. That should mean something right. But $500 would be the max I can put into an iem lol and this might be the time.

Syed, if you are still in Malaysia next year, when the ADEL or 1964 are delivered, it's after GST. so you need to pay Customs, Import and GST. 

Nov 8, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #26,544 of 100,752
  True True thats why I was comtemplating getting the Ambient 12 drivers too, at $500 you get 12 drivers with a new tech and coming from a company like 1964 its just mindblowing.

Not sure ambient are from 1964. And Ambient 12 is 6low, 6mid/high.
I think U series from 1964 might be better choice.
U6
$480
Transducer configuration: 2-low, 2-mid, 2-high
U8
$540
Transducer configuration: 4-low, 2-mid, 2-high

Nov 8, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #26,545 of 100,752
So, I am subscribed to this thread but rarely do I post on it. I'm more of a Chinese/Asian budget thread guy because that's what I buy mostly. I've had a lot of fun there and come across some really great stuff. Reading this thread, I feel like this is the next step in audio addiction lol. This is like going from junior high to high school in terms of price point, and I would assume sound quality. I'm going to classify in ear custom iems as "college" and Stax as having a master's degree lol.

While I have dabbled in spending extra and picking up the likes of the H3 and DNK as well as others, all this talk about new phones is motivating me to stop buying KZ products and cheaper Chinese FOTM, and saving up and getting one of these higher end phones.

Is the general consensus that the A83 these days? Does Fidue sell a pair that doesn't look like I just stole them from Wonder Woman's dresser?

I Like a bass forward signature as long as there isn't an incredible amount of bleed and It doesn't suppress or drown out midrange resolution. Hot treble bothers me honestly. The Altone200 is bordering on almost too bright for my personal taste.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Nov 8, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #26,546 of 100,752
Bit confusing that KickStarter, but it does read to me that they make a distinction between Adel and 1964 Ears...the Adel seem to be discounted more heavily, don't know if 1964 Ears has the same involvement with those listed under Adel. Does sound tempting, though.
My $0.02 on the A83...I agree with much of what has been said, still haven't given them the kazillion hour breakin. (got the Hifiman580 still on the bench). But, my initial impression is that this is great BA sound. Leans toward clear, clean, analytical, but avoids dry/uninvolving. In fact, the verities mentioned make it really great sounding. Do seem to change with amping, but sounded great out of my iPod touch. The bass is not quite upwith the rest, also BA character, that is, lean, tight, musical, but not quite the impact/muscle I'd like...less anemic than most BA's, but I'd still like just a touch more. Maybe it will fill in with more burning in, we'll see. Still, do love the sound of these. I think I'm finally getting a decent seal with the spiral tips. My complaint (I generally have one, make a great Scrooge) is fit/comfocomfort. Obviously, this will vary from person to person, our ears are shaped differently. I find them uncomfortable after a while. Shapefit reminds me of the VSonic, with the ddiamond shape and shallow insertion. If you like those, you'll probably like these. I never got comfortable in the VSonic, and these feel similar to me. Sticking with them, though, as this is really close to what I would consider THE Sig I like.

Nov 8, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #26,547 of 100,752
So an interesting observation. Overnight burn in and the A83s treble ba has come to life it seems. I was digging it more so with lesser treble. I have done burn ins for BAs in the past where the sound takes shape in stages so that is what I am hoping for the treble has increased since last night initial listen. I plan on keeping it on the burn in for at least a weeks worth of time to see how the sound shapes up.

@Hisoundfi FX850 and IM03. People that say IM03 has sharp or spiky treble. Nope not at all. The IM03 is what the TF10 should have been imo.

Nov 8, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #26,549 of 100,752
wink_face.gif

The CKR10 with the right amp and it becomes a behemoth of a sound. It is one of those phones you can't really gauge what they truly are until you own one. Just hearing them at a store is not going to tell the whole story. For example. the CKR9 out of the X1 sounds fantastic but not so with the CKR10. Add the E11K to the mix and you got something much greater than the CKR9 and X1 combo. CKR10 also out of my DX90 sounds more higher end than the CKR9.  As for the IM03. You can't go wrong with the IM03 and upgraded cable. It really don't get much better and will be a nice upgrade over the CKR9.

I actually think the IM03 with stock cable sounds great and detailed, but I can't wait to hear it with upgrade cable. The IM03 is very dynamic sounding for an all-BA earphone.The A3 leans toward analytical (although it is not really). I can't say one is better than the other, but I prefer the AT.

Wish it came with the upgraded cable in stock form. For the IM03 the stock cable actually takes away what it can truly do. I know this now because of just how much the SQ jumps with the upgraded cable.

A NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHES
Not really, it's just been awhile
Anyways, I've got a pair of Fostex T50 ZMF's comin in guys with the copper and carbon color scheme and silver-plated copper cabling, will put up a review as well as impressions in the coming days

NOW ONTO OLD NEWS:
If any of you folks might remember the last time I spoke on here, I promised a review of the AKG k545 and the Teac Ze-1000 and well... uh, I don't got any but I can post some quick impressions for the two (you guys probably won't care anyways
tongue.gif
)

AKG K545
Beautiful slight V-sound signature, with the bass having a bit more attention than the highs. The detailing is pretty nice but not as phenomenal as my DT250's. Comfort is very, very high in my arsenal (almost beats the HD800 in short term, and matches with the DT250 for long term). The soundstage is standard for a headphone of it's size, with a slight emphasis in width rather than depth. It's speed and PRAT is measurable, but won't win any awards. The positioning is excellent for a closed headphone, especially with a good DAC and Amp (a schiit stack would work quite well). There is small roll-off in the highs that is only noticeable with high-tuned cymbals. Overall I'd recommend these for when you want a pair of stylish, all-around headphones that are fun and comfy as heck.

TEAC ZE-1000
A very analytical sound signature. It's most notable features are it's airiness and speed, with both being deft and fantastic for fast-paced music. It's detailing in the highs and mids is better than my X10 (a hefty compliment as the Teacs were half the price), but it's bass detailing isn't as optimal. The bass in general is slightly anemic compared with the rest of the spectrum, but it doesn't bleed and it reaches quite low. The pancake tips can be uncomfortable as hell at times, while at others they are really nice (a good general tip is that you keep the ear-tips wet with skin oils rather than water and to clean the sides of your ear canal before use). The build quality (as SF probably knows) is pretty shoddy and the capsule even came apart awhile back and I had to super glue it back. Overall, if you can find a cheap pair, these phones are damn good for fast-paced classical music, electronic music (think trance) and some rock. But it's definitely not good for hiphop or other slower, more bass-heavy genres unless if you wouldn't mind some EQing. They also play nice with most amps (stay away with anything past a watt though, when I tried it out with a speaker receiver once (bout 2 or 3 watts, I believe), they hissed pretty annoyingly.

In anycase, might you guys give me any ideas on what kinda discoveries I missed out on in my absence?

EDIT: 420 posts boooiiis

Good to see you post. I had to sell off my K545s. Not a fan of scooped out mids..I liked them at first but they started to grow tired on me as I wasn't hearing my mids right. The new phone with much potential would be ATs new ATh-MDR7. Cant wait to read some impressions about them.

Nov 8, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #26,550 of 100,752
  @Dsnuts, thaanks for the suggestions, but, do you consider the FX850 a direct upgrade from the H3 or do you consider it more of a lateral move?

Well that depends. If timbre of sound is your thing it is an upgrade for certain. Stage is amazing on the FX850 as well.  We are talking about Sony house sound vs JVCs new house sound. Similar type signatures but the FX850s are bit more traditional/old school flavor while Sonys have a bit of a commercial sound happening with their house tuning.

If you want something a bit different and more grown up in SQ I will suggest the IM03 with upgraded cable every time. Once you get into the $300 plus phone range it is all about small refinements here and there. People pay a lot of money for small refinements. Does that equate to something that is clearly better than another? Not really.

I can't say my Primo 8 or IM03 A83 FX850 H3 CKR10. One is clearly better than another. Some do things better than others but it is more a different sound signature more than anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back