The discovery thread!
Apr 29, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #24,151 of 100,328
Congrats on the Portapros! I love my Sportapros and kcs75's. You may want to consider drilling holes in the driver cover (Kramer mods) to control the bass a bit more.

You may also want to check out the AKG K403's. I found a pair for $17 and wasn't expecting much, but they are turning into one of my favorite headphones. Excellent amount of controlled bass, forward and engaging mids, very nice highs. Quite well balanced, and they look pretty good (they are the only headphones I can bring myself to wear out in public). So if you find a good deal on them, you may want to give them a try. For now though, enjoy those Portapros!

WHAT?! An AKG for 17 bucks?! Well, you don't see that everyday.

Apr 29, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #24,152 of 100,328
WHAT?! An AKG for 17 bucks?! Well, you don't see that everyday.

Yes, I poop you not:

You can get them for $40 or $50 on amazon.com, and I personally think they are worth that and more. For example, I like them quite a bit more than the PX100II's that I spent $70 on.

They are definitely excellent beater headphones that look good enough to be worn out, can be folded up and put in a pocket, and sound good enough to satisfy. The only downside is that they don't isolate worth beans, but then again, neither do any of these types of headphones.

Apr 29, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #24,153 of 100,328

Yes, I poop you not:

You can get them for $40 or $50 on amazon.com, and I personally think they are worth that and more. For example, I like them quite a bit more than the PX100II's that I spent $70 on.

They are definitely excellent beater headphones that look good enough to be worn out, can be folded up and put in a pocket, and sound good enough to satisfy. The only downside is that they don't isolate worth beans, but then again, neither do any of these types of headphones.

Ooh, I think I just found my portable!
Then again, the Havi B3 Pro is something I'm looking forward to...

So many headphones, so little cash. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #24,155 of 100,328
So, I was using the Fiio E9/E10 DAC/amp combo on with my iMac and the Hope VI. That was a decent combination, but today I received my Schiit Modi DAC and tube hybrid Vali amplifier, and Oh Schiit! This brings out ever minute detail that I didn't even think the Hope VI was hiding! What a fantastic desk DAC and Amp for the Pandora Hope VI. Try it fellas!!

I also A/Bed the VI against the X1 (using the DX50). I still love the X1's sound, but it sounded like a toy speaker next to the VI...

Finally, he shall go nameless, but I would like to say thank you to a hi-fi friend who felt I was worthy to hear what many of our top reviewers consider the best universal IEM out there: the 1Plus2. I should receive it tomorrow and give impressions as soon as possible. This has become a great week for me in listening to wonderful music. Thanks again my friend! 
beerchug.gif

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #24,157 of 100,328

Finally, he shall go nameless, but I would like to say thank you to a hi-fi friend who felt I was worthy to hear what many of our top reviewers consider the best universal IEM out there: the 1Plus2. I should receive it tomorrow and give impressions as soon as possible. This has become a great week for me in listening to wonderful music. Thanks again my friend! 
beerchug.gif

Awesome eric! Looking very much forward to your impressions. And the lender is a worthy dude no doubt :)

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #24,158 of 100,328
  uhoh, eric broke the $500 barrier... theres no going back.

Well carcacara08, I just want to hear them, but I'm 99.9 percent certain that I will never pay over $!K for a universal or custom earphone (or headphone). Although I can close to buying a significantly reduced in price Senn. IE800, but resisted in the end. I think a little over $600 for the Pandora Hope VI was my limit (and that was a tough fight, but it's worth what I paid for it). The V8s are calling my name, but they're a bit too high for me. I'm really content. I don't expect these earphones to shoot that much above the FX850 or H3. The former is just mind blowing to my ears.

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #24,159 of 100,328

Awesome eric! Looking very much forward to your impressions. And the lender is a worthy dude no doubt :)

Awesome like you buddy! Thanks....
beerchug.gif

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #24,160 of 100,328

Tenore is great.  Also heard good things about the Singolo, ATH-IM70, Ostry KC06, Havi B3 Pro.  B3 Pro might not have enough bass for you though.

Thanks! I went with the Tenore for now. My wife hopefully won't notice the purchase.
The Ostry KC06s looked interesting but I haven't had much luck with the IEMs from China. 
Build-quality is alright but somehow all of them (VSD1 and a few others) have died on me in less than 1 year.

When I'm ready to buy another pair of IEMs, I'll probably look at the Zero audio Doppio or ATH-IM02.

Apr 30, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #24,163 of 100,328

Thanks! I went with the Tenore for now. My wife hopefully won't notice the purchase.
The Ostry KC06s looked interesting but I haven't had much luck with the IEMs from China. 
Build-quality is alright but somehow all of them (VSD1 and a few others) have died on me in less than 1 year.

When I'm ready to buy another pair of IEMs, I'll probably look at the Zero audio Doppio or ATH-IM02.

Those ostrich birds sound so good, I am going to use them relentlessly. They will be lucky to survive 6 months let alone 1 year. Hmmm - I'd better get the KC06A's as backup. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #24,165 of 100,328
How does the Shure SE315 compare to KC06 and B3 Pro 1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back