The discovery thread!
Feb 27, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #22,516 of 100,675
  Alright so I need some help from all of you. I am stuck between a bunch of headphones. I really have looking into all the Beyers including the 770, 880 and 990. I am leaning more towards the 880 and 990 for the open style. I am also looking at the HD 600 and HE-400. The decisions in purchasing a nice headphones $200 and more is so difficult especially when you can't even try them for yourself... For all of these I will be using a Modi/Magni combination. Anyone wana help out here?

Orthodynamics ( aka planar /isodynamics ) will more often than not trump a dynamic. Just simply the way the driver is designed and a few other reasons ( voice coil wobble and uneven cone throw,, orthos throw a flat wavefront vs , well yeah..un-flat lol- ,screwy impedance curves depending on equipment=ortho is totally flat impedance curve so no odd behaviour at certain frequencies because of that=ortho does not react like that ). not to mention the general characteristics of the sound which is generally between dynamics and stats, best of both worlds at times. If it were me I would not even consider a dynamic for many reasons, but I am biased as a member of the ortho mafia ( yeah have over 30 * cries silently *) If they are all similar or close in price I say He-400 no question.
beerchug.gif
Pretty sure there are some easy pad mods for you on those.
4 billion posts in the HE-400 threads can''t be wrong.
As well there should be plenty of firsthand opinions on your exact combo with those.

sorry for blabbing guys figured I would get that all out in one sort-of concise post

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #22,518 of 100,675
Where have you been fool, you missing out on all the hype action. Welp not really but still...................... great to have you resurrected from dat audio graveyard.  : P

Was thinkin' you were finna gonna' be a goner like dat Doc that never even bothered to say good bye. haha

WOOO!!! Great to have you back, so have you heard about the latest and greatest JVC??? LMAO..... you know what he has in that filthy mind of his............damn right dat JVC woodie. 
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #22,519 of 100,675
Aww, you sold your SM64?

I want! lol
Heard they were beastly IEM's

The fact that I still need a tablet had a lot to do with me selling them. They really are beastly... but from what I've read about the H3... something had to shake.

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #22,520 of 100,675
I already offered to him brand new sealed H3 for $280 with included shipping and paypal fees. But seems, that he isnt interested in this deal.

Nothing personal, buddy... but you have ZERO feedback. Plus, I really haven't made a definite choice, yet, of what I'm getting next. I just know I want something new to match my 1540.

Feb 27, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #22,523 of 100,675
H3 ordered on the way at some point, Fostex ordered, on the way at some point, JVC???????????? :xf_eek:

Feb 27, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #22,524 of 100,675

dude theres a deal in jaben kuching selling this headphone (demo unit) for only MYR 270.00 ! its only used for 300 hours. but it only have 1 unit so i think its already been sold. Wait , it is sold, TO MEEE 
evil_smiley.gif

What wait. Yamaha hph 200? Since when did Jaben sell yamaha products. They didn't even update on their page they were selling that. ~!@#$%^&

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #22,525 of 100,675
  What if I said that everyone who has the Piston who didn't buy from Xiaomi directly (or Penon Audio it seems), does not have the official Piston?

The chocolate smell is greater
The box internals are a raised S, M and L instead of music notes.
L and R are marked on the strain reliefs
..and last but not least, the Xiaomi one is louder, with treble that extends further.

The ibuygou one does sound really, really close, but warmer overall, even after I modded them. They may be an authorized version or so, but I think the Xiaomi one is a little better already. This is without burn in or modding, while the ibuygou one has had 60+ hours.

I thinks we got trolled, even though the ibuygou one sounds great. At $27 (5 day shipping + taobao), these are an even better value now.

These have the music notes in the box.  If you look here:
http://www.xiaomiworld.com/xiaomi-brand-new-earphone-plunger-music-partner.html

The R is marked on strain relief as a line/rib, not R/L as you mentioned:
http://www.xiaomiworld.com/original-xiaomi-piston-earphone-updated-version-brown.html

I think it's just possible that they since upgraded the packaging and that it's the same. 

Except for the part where you talk about the trebles.  That intrigues me and makes me somewhat willing to buy a second pair.  Are you amped?  Please send me the link where you bought these "better" real Pistons.

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #22,526 of 100,675

These have the music notes in the box.  If you look here:
http://www.xiaomiworld.com/xiaomi-brand-new-earphone-plunger-music-partner.html

The R is marked on strain relief as a line/rib, not R/L as you mentioned:
http://www.xiaomiworld.com/original-xiaomi-piston-earphone-updated-version-brown.html

I think it's just possible that they since upgraded the packaging and that it's the same. 

Except for the part where you talk about the trebles.  That intrigues me and makes me somewhat willing to buy a second pair.  Are you amped?  Please send me the link where you bought these "better" real Pistons.

Xiaomi's official Taobao store:

xiaomi.tmall.com

The rib is also on the strain relief, but L and R are clearly marked. New version maybe?

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #22,527 of 100,675
My guess would be that the "new" Piston 2.0 are a revision of the first one. It's not unusual that companies makes changes in accessories or design. I would guess that Xiaomi's volumes are huge and it wouldn't be a problem for them to do minor changes between batches.

But still it's just a guess.......

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #22,529 of 100,675
  Just got mine too. Excellent sound for $30. In no way does the build or lack of accessories justify a $100+ price tag however. Great find.

Which has more bass and which is better, Havi B3 Pro or ZE-1000?

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #22,530 of 100,675
Yes I think it is a repackaging or aesthetic upgrade.. however bhazard is also saying the treble on his real pistons are better.  Wouldn't that require an actual upgrade to the buds themselves?  Makes me think that the ones selling at taobao are Pistons v2.1.

mochill -- you're comparing yours with inshoes fakes though right? 

So we have:

Fake Pistons 2.0
details: somewhat obvious differences once you look carefully
verdict: sound like ****

Real Pistons 2.0
details: music notes on tips case, ribbed R on strain relief
verdict: hard hitting bass, recessed treble

Real Pistons 2.1
details: S/M/L on tips case, L/R clearly noted along with the ribbed R
verdict: hard hitting bass, extended treble

Users who are viewing this thread

Back