The discovery thread!
Feb 26, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #22,486 of 100,673
I wish both the H3's and the FX850's were smaller. I like to use my iems a lot outside or at the gym, and I doubt that I would be able to do so with either one. I find lighter and smaller profile iems to be so much better for that. For instance, the vsd1's are so light that they stay in well, they do not stick out of my ears like bolts, and when not wearing them, I can leave them hanging from the shirt clip without hardly noticing them. All of my better sounding iems are huge and heavy monstrosities in comparison. So I'm waiting for one of you guys to discover something that sounds as good as the H3's and FX850's, but in smaller and lighter form factor. The AKG 3003's come to mind. The only problem is that they are $1300 lol. Edit: I just read that the 3003's don't have a replaceable cable. What were they thinking?

In case you were wondering, the H3 and the K3003 don't really sound anything alike except having a somewhat similar FR. Though the newer K3003 seem to haver less bass than what currently published measurements show.

I'd put the K300K bass at about the level of the EX1000 (see graph).

Feb 26, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #22,487 of 100,673
Awesome comparisons Eric. Spot on.

X2! Sheds more light than the more general impressions of those two phones and differentiates certain aspects nicely. Thanks!

Feb 26, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #22,488 of 100,673
In case you were wondering, the H3 and the K3003 don't really sound anything alike except having a somewhat similar FR. Though the newer K3003 seem to haver less bass than what currently published measurements show.

I'd put the K300K bass at about the level of the EX1000 (see graph).

Thanks vwinter. I'm mainly just venting. The K300K is far out of my price range at the moment. And the fact that it doesn't have replaceable cables would probably be a potential deal breaker for me as well. Can you get them recabled if the cable fails? If so, how much would that cost?

Feb 26, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #22,489 of 100,673
Thanks vwinter. I'm mainly just venting. The K300K is far out of my price range at the moment. And the fact that it doesn't have replaceable cables would probably be a potential deal breaker for me as well. Can you get them recabled if the cable fails? If so, how much would that cost?

Oh whoops, forgot to comment on that. No replaceable cables cuz sexy :wink: :D

AKG has been historically good at replacing sets which have cable issues as far as I've seen.

But, to directly answer your question, my friend asked the one of very few guys i know who would even attempt such a recable and he pretty much said he wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole haha. I'm paraphrasing but that was the gist of it.

Feb 26, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #22,491 of 100,673

X2! Sheds more light than the more general impressions of those two phones and differentiates certain aspects nicely. Thanks!

beerchug.gif

Feb 26, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #22,492 of 100,673
I agree with you, Wayne. The size if those H3s are what has kept me from snatching them up and just settling with my SM64. But still, those giants look damn sexy, if you ask me... 
wink.gif

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #22,494 of 100,673
Teac ZE1000 isn't so bassy:disappointed:...but so fast and clear:astonished:...also airy:blush:...but built quality suck for msrp of $350:dizzy_face:. But at thirty dollar its a steal:smiley:

Just got mine too. Excellent sound for $30. In no way does the build or lack of accessories justify a $100+ price tag however. Great find.

Feb 26, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #22,495 of 100,673
Teac ZE1000 isn't so bassy:disappointed:...but so fast and clear:astonished:...also airy:blush:...but built quality suck for msrp of $350:dizzy_face:. But at thirty dollar its a steal:smiley:

+
  Just got mine too. Excellent sound for $30. In no way does the build or lack of accessories justify a $100+ price tag however. Great find.

^ if you think they don't have enough bass try some Sony Hybrid/ MH1C tips on them, as well as some wide bore ones.
basshead.gif

But those other tips kills a lot of the airiness, micro details though. Best alternative tips from the stock ones are more narrow bore ones such as the Sony hybrids, but i have found that the VSonic hybrid lookalike tips sounds 2nd best after the stock tips.

Those VSonic tips are hard as hell to get on these TEACs cuz they have a narrow bore and the nozzle on these TEACs are crazy wide.

Stock tips still sounds the best for me though.......

ENJOY YOU LUCKY MOFOS!!! : P

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #22,496 of 100,673
What if I said that everyone who has the Piston who didn't buy from Xiaomi directly (or Penon Audio it seems), does not have the official Piston?

The chocolate smell is greater
The box internals are a raised S, M and L instead of music notes.
L and R are marked on the strain reliefs
..and last but not least, the Xiaomi one is louder, with treble that extends further.

The ibuygou one does sound really, really close, but warmer overall, even after I modded them. They may be an authorized version or so, but I think the Xiaomi one is a little better already. This is without burn in or modding, while the ibuygou one has had 60+ hours.

I thinks we got trolled, even though the ibuygou one sounds great. At $27 (5 day shipping + taobao), these are an even better value now.

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #22,497 of 100,673
I agree with you, Wayne. The size if those H3s are what has kept me from snatching them up and just settling with my SM64. But still, those giants look damn sexy, if you ask me... :wink:  

I assume the "for sale" ad means you've gone over to the SONY SIDE!!!!!:D

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #22,500 of 100,673
Alright so I need some help from all of you. I am stuck between a bunch of headphones. I really have looking into all the Beyers including the 770, 880 and 990. I am leaning more towards the 880 and 990 for the open style. I am also looking at the HD 600 and HE-400. The decisions in purchasing a nice headphones $200 and more is so difficult especially when you can't even try them for yourself... For all of these I will be using a Modi/Magni combination. Anyone wana help out here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back