The discovery thread!
Jan 27, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #20,551 of 103,461
  Aren't they still available on amazon from few sellers? Anyway, I'm also kinda bummed they aren't available outside of US coz I wanted to try them with my Noble 4. 

i dunno, the last i have heard of them was radioshack only sells them in one size packs with 3 tips. The variety pack has been discontinued since 1 year ago or something like that.

Jan 27, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #20,552 of 103,461
Jan 27, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #20,553 of 103,461
  Hey has anyone that has the DUNU DN1000 tried them with the RadioShack auvio tips yet???

Anywho i was working out with these DN1Ks on and was OK.... these things are very 3D in its presentation and that you can literally hear their BA tweeters doing their thang or what nots in their instrument separation/ layering, etc etc BUT i was hmmm something sounds kinda off. 

With the stock turbine tips everything was wayyy too textbook accurate, and combined with a somewhat dry and diffused sound these DN1Ks were literally putting me to sleep during the workout. LMAO I was like man these things are not only missing that lushness and visceral texture of the gr07 BEs but also where is that PRaT!!!??? Everything just sounded so mechanical and flying at me from all directions but yet despite all those interesting micro details i wasn't really connected with the music. My head wasn't bobbing nor were my toes tapping, so i was hmmm that is interesting. I figured that these turbine stock tips weren't really doing it for me sonically and remembered that i said something about tip rolling them with some RadioShack auvio tips last night, lo and behold these DN1Ks sounds MUCH more musical with those tips. Musical as in the overall sound is tighter/ more cohesive with better bass punch and speed hence PRaT is greatly increased as the result. These DN1Ks are finally starting to sing with the auvio tips!!! 
basshead.gif

I noticed that the stock turbine tips with the longest red rings (most neutral sounding combo) there is noticeably more treble extension hence slight sibilance as well, but with the shortest silver rings not only is the bass quality/ quantity increased but the treble is more tamed. In essence the ring implementation of these DN1Ks has an inverse effect as compared to what shorter barrel tips did for the KEF M200s.  So for folks that have these DN1Ks and you have some auvio tips around GO TRY THEM!!! I am currently using the silver rings combo with the blue auvio tips and i get as much treble extension as those longest red rings as well as better bass quantity/ quality also.

Hope i ain't just trippin'...
beyersmile.png

Great discovery SF! I'll try and get my hands on those Auvio tips...

Jan 27, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #20,554 of 103,461
Dang! those Auvio Tips are not available for OZ customers 
mad.gif

I do have Auvio stock tips from a cheapo Auvio IEM. Are they the same? They don't have coloured sleeves... just all black.

Jan 27, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #20,557 of 103,461
  Hey has anyone that has the DUNU DN1000 tried them with the RadioShack auvio tips yet???

Anywho i was working out with these DN1Ks on and was OK.... these things are very 3D in its presentation and that you can literally hear their BA tweeters doing their thang or what nots in their instrument separation/ layering, etc etc BUT i was hmmm something sounds kinda off. 

With the stock turbine tips everything was wayyy too textbook accurate, and combined with a somewhat dry and diffused sound these DN1Ks were literally putting me to sleep during the workout. LMAO I was like man these things are not only missing that lushness and visceral texture of the gr07 BEs but also where is that PRaT!!!??? Everything just sounded so mechanical and flying at me from all directions but yet despite all those interesting micro details i wasn't really connected with the music. My head wasn't bobbing nor were my toes tapping, so i was hmmm that is interesting. I figured that these turbine stock tips weren't really doing it for me sonically and remembered that i said something about tip rolling them with some RadioShack auvio tips last night, lo and behold these DN1Ks sounds MUCH more musical with those tips. Musical as in the overall sound is tighter/ more cohesive with better bass punch and speed hence PRaT is greatly increased as the result. These DN1Ks are finally starting to sing with the auvio tips!!! 
basshead.gif

I noticed that the stock turbine tips with the longest red rings (most neutral sounding combo) there is noticeably more treble extension hence slight sibilance as well, but with the shortest silver rings not only is the bass quality/ quantity increased but the treble is more tamed. In essence the ring implementation of these DN1Ks has an inverse effect as compared to what shorter barrel tips did for the KEF M200s.  So for folks that have these DN1Ks and you have some auvio tips around GO TRY THEM!!! I am currently using the silver rings combo with the blue auvio tips and i get as much treble extension as those longest red rings as well as better bass quantity/ quality also.

Hope i ain't just trippin'...
beyersmile.png

Nice write up! I'm still waiting for you to breakdown and buy the Pistons. 
deadhorse.gif

Jan 27, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #20,558 of 103,461
  no one got the Audio Technika ax5 yet? I'm ding for some impressions (cause you know, they are over ear and they are cheap. plus they look kinda good)

The press release said..."The new Audio-Technica SonicFuel AX over-ear headphones will be available in spring 2014". They(AT) asked for my address and hopefully will be sending me some stuff. I'm hoping an AX5 will be among that which they send me.

Bought the MA750i today, left speechless by the sound (in a good way). may write a review if there's time

Great phones! I do see that they have fallen into two camps as far the the sound signature probably based on the fit and how the vent hole on the housing lines up. One camp has them as bassy, warm, with a more subdued treble and the other has them as a bit quicker, more balanced, with some more treble and treble detail. Wonder which camp you fall into. I was in the latter, more balanced camp.

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #20,559 of 103,461

Great phones! I do see that they have fallen into two camps as far the the sound signature probably based on the fit and how the vent hole on the housing lines up. One camp has them as bassy, warm, with a more subdued treble and the other has them as a bit quicker, more balanced, with some more treble and treble detail. Wonder which camp you fall into. I was in the latter, more balanced camp.

I heard them as balanced too. Very articulate, clean highs. The soundstage is quite immersive, and 3D in a sense. Another thing is, the speed and detail is quite amazing for a single dynamic driver. I've heard some earphones with armature drivers that couldn't compete with these. Oh and it probably has the thickest IEM cable I've ever seen, and the most over-engineered input jack.

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #20,560 of 103,461
I heard them as balanced too. Very articulate, clean highs. The soundstage is quite immersive, and 3D in a sense. Another thing is, the speed and detail is quite amazing for a single dynamic driver. I've heard some earphones with armature drivers that couldn't compete with these. Oh and it probably has the thickest IEM cable I've ever seen, and the most over-engineered input jack.

I'm with you and jant71. Would like to add that it's very cohesive to my ears and in return provides a very musical and involving experience thru the DX50. It needs some burning in thou as it got better with more hours on them. About the cable, it's right in the middle if you have the R3 for comparison.

On another note, the R3 does vocals a little better than the MA750 by a little margin to my ears and that's about all as they are different as a whole.

Getting the fit was a little tricky for me but manage to work it out with comply foams. Probably it's a brain burn in or it starts to break in for me as I felt there was a veil to the sound initially which is almost gone at this point of time. Will burn them in further and see if the veil would be removed completely.

Happy listening guys as I know I do with it.

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #20,561 of 103,461
Nihontoman, I agree whole heartedly with Blakey, both albums classic, I especially love Moanin'. I'm sure you and I could rattle off another 10 quick classics, hard to come up with just 10 (and I cheated a bit discussing the choices). Great to get feedback from a jazz fan, interested in other favorites of yours.
Keep swingin'

Jan 27, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #20,562 of 103,461
  The press release said..."The new Audio-Technica SonicFuel AX over-ear headphones will be available in spring 2014". They(AT) asked for my address and hopefully will be sending me some stuff. I'm hoping an AX5 will be among that which they send me.

great news. will wait for your impressions on those. hope you'll get them soon :)

Nihontoman, I agree whole heartedly with Blakey, both albums classic, I especially love Moanin'. I'm sure you and I could rattle off another 10 quick classics, hard to come up with just 10 (and I cheated a bit discussing the choices). Great to get feedback from a jazz fan, interested in other favorites of yours.
Keep swingin'

yeah, really great feeling to "meet" another jazz lover on forums. I guess I'm a little strange case when it comes to getting into jazz - I started from Jazz-hop, and from there I ended up discovering true stuff :) I'm still in the process of discovery, so any kind of directions would be highly appreciated. my most recent discovery is Herbie Hancock, if you know others like him, please let me know :)

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #20,563 of 103,461

great news. will wait for your impressions on those. hope you'll get them soon :)

Keep swingin'

yeah, really great feeling to "meet" another jazz lover on forums. I guess I'm a little strange case when it comes to getting into jazz - I started from Jazz-hop, and from there I ended up discovering true stuff :) I'm still in the process of discovery, so any kind of directions would be highly appreciated. my most recent discovery is Herbie Hancock, if you know others like him, please let me know :)
You'd very likely like Cannonball Adderley.

Buckshot Le Fonque do some great crossover stuff, mixing soul, rap, funk, jazz, even rock. I love this album by them - Music Evolution:

61pfmvu4l-L._SL500_.jpg

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #20,564 of 103,461

Buckshot Le Fonque do some great crossover stuff, mixing soul, rap, funk, jazz, even rock. I love this album by them - Music Evolution:

Thanks. This is the kind of stuff I need to hear more of. I haven't had much forays into Jazz. I have Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, which is great. Gotta dig into some of doc's recommendations. And this Buckshot stuff. Listening to their debut 1994 album on youtube at the moment, and it's amazing (especially on sextett's). Can't wait to check out the Music Evolution album!

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #20,565 of 103,461

Thanks. This is the kind of stuff I need to hear more of. I haven't had much forays into Jazz. I have Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, which is great. Gotta dig into some of doc's recommendations. And this Buckshot stuff. Listening to their debut 1994 album on youtube at the moment, and it's amazing (especially on sextett's). Can't wait to check out the Music Evolution album!
Sorry to be off topic, but just wanted to post this for you before I forgot! Another great album of relatively unheard of artists around New York in the early 70s. I love the sounds in this album. True authentic!

61YCLA9RJUL._SL500_.jpg

51X6tjjhfCL.jpg

Bringing back on topic, I imagine this album would come alive through the Pistons! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back