The discovery thread!
Jan 1, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #18,031 of 103,128

The build quality and looks of the Doppio is minimal..These unfortunately have thin wires but high quality OFC all the way around. Build is solid enough but not as good as the XBs.  Sound quality wise these are on another level.. Sub bass wise of course the XB90s will have that but these do have the more accurate tonal, even extended treble, precision and imagery the XB90s need for them to be a higher end sound.. Now here is where I would say the H3 would probably be what your looking for even though those are much more expensive. The idea behind the H3 is that they do have that big 16mm dynamic driver for the bass with dual BAs for the mids and highs. 

If you want to try something completely different and or don't have the money for something like a H3. Then by all means go get yourself a doppio...It will introduce you to a higher level of sound quality.. It isn't like you can't use your XB90s for your bass fix...

thanks for the reply. I was kinda set on getting IM70 but these also seem very good (also the interest in trying BA) but if these are "less" in build quality, it becomes quite difficult to choose :frowning2:

Jan 1, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #18,032 of 103,128
Ya but less don't mean they are gonna snap in half every time you throw them in your ears.. Sonys have a strong noodle cord on them but these don't. You just can't be throwing these around..I doubt your gonna treat a $200 earphone like you would a $10 one..

I have no reason to believe the doppios will not last a long time. Sure they could have made these more heavier duty and such but I will gladly take them as they are.  The IM70 should be a nice earphone to consider as well.. You have to make a decision and just go for it. Worse case scenario you can sell it off if it don't meet your expectations or return them if you get it from a vendor that allows it.

Jan 1, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #18,034 of 103,128
yeah, I know, I should choose, but with limited funds and many choices, making a decision is hard as hell
biggrin.gif

I might go for im70 and save up for doppio or any other BA iem that will be interesting...

Jan 1, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #18,036 of 103,128

I just might, because I will have two soon. KZ actually sent this Micro Ring CKN70 to me for free as a gift for getting these bad boys...
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.3.w4002-218018788.38.CECugH&id=36548970532

CKM99 type clone for $12. Same materials in the housing and driver. :)

Oh seaweeeeeeet!!! Hook it up bro!!! You got my $10 right now. : P

Just tell me when you want it. :)

Congrats on the freebie.

"Sent from my baked potato"

with sour cream and chives I hope. Or Natto if that's where you brought it in from. Gonna be good either way.

+

Mmm... sour cream and chives, that's my fav flavour of Pringles.

However I like my baked potato with Branston baked beans and lots of cheese.

Happy New Year everyone!! Best wishes go out to all of the Head-Fi community.

^ What you fools don't use any of dat holy bacon!!!???
eek.gif

That's just wrong in SOOO many levels. 
triportsad.gif

Happy New Year guys! I just came back from a ~20 hour party at a friend's house, and I am beat. I guess I'm late for the midnight greeting, so oh well...

My GOD!!! Nuff said.....

..... LIKE US YOU!!!

Sorry about that, I don't know what the hell happened
smily_headphones1.gif

I've got my hands on a pair of the Samsung's and they're truly a discovery!

^ It's ok, we are all sinners.
evil_smiley.gif

Great to hear, might be able to get a set from a friend as well since he has the S4 as well. Hmmm.....

if they dont have the CKN cable we're all good 

^ Yeppp hope the cable is Y-cord and is less rubbery/ springy than the ATH CNKs, but if it is the same i don't mind since it's for $10!!! LoL

Jan 1, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #18,037 of 103,128

Quote:
  I received my FiiO E12 today, and I must say I love what I'm hearing. I've only tested the HPH-200s so far, but dat low end is just awesome. I have a question though that I haven't really found an answer for yet. What should be the volume on the source vs the amp? Just curious if there is a good ratio between the two 
beyersmile.png

I generally set the source to max volume:

- laptop (max volume) -> usb DAC -> E12 (adjust volume)

- Colorfly C3 (max volume) -> E12 (adjust volume)

- Clip Zip (almost max volume) -> E12 (adjust volume

I'm not sure where I got the notion to do that from, but it seems to work well for me. I'm interested in other opinions though. I found this thread, but I don't see a consensus there:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/396139/source-volume-vs-amp-volume

I'm sure there are other threads as well.

Good info in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/605183/high-volume-on-the-amp-and-low-volume-on-the-audio-player-or-vice-versa

Question and a reasonable sounding answer....

Hey there.

Well, this is the question: supposing I have both a very good quality amp and music player, which one of the three following is the recommended?

a) Setting the player to the highest possible volume, and then controlling the output volume using the amp volume control.
b) Setting the amp to the highest possible volume, and then controlling the output volume using the player volume control.
c) Neither one. It's better to use both the amp and the player at, let's say, "balanced" volume levels.

I'm not sure whether this has been discussed before (I did a fast search and didn't find anything). If so, would you be so kind to link me to that thread?

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
  If your source and amp are truly of high (or reasonable) quality, you do (a).  Some poorer sources have issues at max volume, and some amps will clip some inputs that are too high in amplitude, so in practice it is a safer bet to set the volume to 80% or something else, as others have described.

Lowering volume on the source means reducing the SNR.  The music becomes more noisy, relative to how loud the music is.  Thus you want to avoid lowering the volume on the source as much as possible, unless this creates issues.

The exception to the rule is if you're using exceptionally sensitive headphones, generally some models of IEMs.  Most amps, particularly those that aren't that expensive, use a dual potentiometer for analog volume control.  That's the volume control knob.  Because of the way those work in these circuits, at the bottom range of the volume control, the left and right channels may no longer be matched very closely in volume.  If the source is near max volume, with particularly sensitive IEMs, you may need to turn the amp down really low, into this region where the left and right channels are annoyingly not quite the same volume.  Also this means that it's easily possible to accidentally turn up the volume a lot and blast your ears off.

Jan 1, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #18,038 of 103,128

The build quality and looks of the Doppio is minimal..These unfortunately have thin wires but high quality OFC all the way around. Build is solid enough but not as good as the XBs.  Sound quality wise these are on another level.. Sub bass wise of course the XB90s will have that but these do have the more accurate tonal, even extended treble, precision and imagery the XB90s need for them to be a higher end sound.. Now here is where I would say the H3 would probably be what your looking for even though those are much more expensive. The idea behind the H3 is that they do have that big 16mm dynamic driver for the bass with dual BAs for the mids and highs. 

If you want to try something completely different and or don't have the money for something like a H3. Then by all means go get yourself a doppio...It will introduce you to a higher level of sound quality.. It isn't like you can't use your XB90s for your bass fix...

Hey Ds, just wanted to point out this about the H3 drivers (from ericp10):

16 mm dynamic driver = Woofer
1 BA = Full Range 
1 Ba = HD Super Tweeter

Also as shown here: http://www.sony-asia.com/product/xba-h3#bass

Jan 1, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #18,039 of 103,128
Jan 1, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #18,040 of 103,128
  Oh yea better treble end. Way better mids and not to mention these are supremely easy to throw in your ears.. No comfort issues what so ever.

You know I forgot to add. There is richness I have yet to hear in a BA phone. I think that is what is surprising to the sound. Not only accurate but the sound has a richness, smoothness,.. 12 Ohm sensitivity so very easy to drive.. I am extremely happy with these earphones. I couldn't ask for more for the money to be honest.

I will add to my impressions the more I get used to these. These are making all my other earphones sound somewhat lacking. lol.

Which earphones are you talking about?

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #18,042 of 103,128
These holidays are keeping me from my OM Audio Hybrids and my TDK BA-200. I want my IEMs!! ;p

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #18,044 of 103,128
  Yeah, and a high quality, accurate Dynamic/BA hybrid near $150 is exactly what I'm looking for, so get on it. lol

Oh I'll definitely be giving a thorough write up soon after I get them. I've got high hopes for these hybrids. 

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #18,045 of 103,128
yeah, I know, I should choose, but with limited funds and many choices, making a decision is hard as hell :D

I might go for im70 and save up for doppio or any other BA iem that will be interesting...

Same here man, every purchase decision I make is quite an important one due to my strict restrictions lol, I just can't justify paying over £100 ($165) for a pair of earphones so that is my limit.

So I need help choosing between the Gratitudes, IM70 and MA750. I'm looking for an upgrade on my CKN70's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back