The discovery thread!
Dec 18, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #17,566 of 100,473
I find it interesting how you found out about this. Chinese HP forum?
I like the look, but I'd like for them to sell it in different colors. And maybe make a custom version if they get better. I find it weird why they don't have a product page for their B6 and B9 ontheir site...

Nice discovery, but I dunno yet...I ran out of money for headphones atm. I could wait 'til next year.

It was mentioned in the Chinese headphone post on this forum. Bhazard and a few others like to look on sites like Taobao and Aliexpress for any new headphones to discover. If you look in his signature you'll see a link to the actual post.

Dec 18, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #17,567 of 100,473
It was mentioned in the Chinese headphone post on this forum. Bhazard and a few others like to look on sites like Taobao and Aliexpress for any new headphones to discover. If you look in his signature you'll see a link to the actual post.

Yeah, I saw the link, and I took a look. Never thought Vsonic was actually Chinese-based. With all of the actually good brands I'm seeing, I think I wouldn't need to take it to European brands for my next headphone purchase. It's really cool.

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #17,568 of 100,473
I've avoided any purchases since March.
Has anything new with a similar sound to the FXD80 or CKN70 appeared since then? Detailed, some sub-bass (doesn't need to be mad bassy), small canal friendly, not over ear or j-cord, anything up to $150.

Actually that's a lie, I got the GR02 Bass Edition the other week, an okay spare but not so detailed.

Dec 18, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #17,569 of 100,473
Has anything new with a similar sound to the FXD80 or CKN70 appeared since then? Detailed, some sub-bass (doesn't need to be mad bassy), small canal friendly, not over ear or j-cord, anything up to $150.

Actually that's a lie, I got the GR02 Bass Edition the other week, an okay spare but not so detailed.

Monster Gratitudes. Similar sound to the CKN70s, but much more refined.

Dec 18, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #17,570 of 100,473

Monster Gratitudes. Similar sound to the CKN70s, but much more refined.

Dec 18, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #17,571 of 100,473
HOUSTON DA'' BRICK HAS LANDED!!!

Man these Frosties in their stock form doesn't sound half bad. Worthy of "discovery" fo' sho. But they are a pain in the arse to drive properly. Needs some serious power, e17 on volume 50 with 12 gain and 5 on rockboxed sansa clip+.

This brick almost doesn't have enough juice to drive them on max power sitting, but THANK GOD it does. PHEEEEEEW!!!

Dec 18, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #17,572 of 100,473
Wait till those Frosties are fully Frostified! :)

Dec 18, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #17,573 of 100,473
  Wait till those Frosties are fully Frostified! :)

Dat sounds damn yummie boi!!! CAN'T WAIT.
popcorn.gif

Needs some refreshments with my pops...

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #17,575 of 100,473
  HOUSTON DA'' BRICK HAS LANDED!!!

Man these Frosties in their stock form doesn't sound half bad. Worthy of "discovery" fo' sho. But they are a pain in the arse to drive properly. Needs some serious power, e17 on volume 50 with 12 gain and 5 on rockboxed sansa clip+.

This brick almost doesn't have enough juice to drive them on max power sitting, but THANK GOD it does. PHEEEEEEW!!!

SF there are two gain switches there for each channel, dump them up to HIFREAKING HIGH_FI SETTING AND BLAST OFF!

BTW in case people do not know that is the IHIFI 812V2.  450 mw output. IF I can drive a modded T50 right now at 38-40 / 40 volumes on the Colorfly C3, and it is only 26 mw output total then this sucker should do fine.
Take your time with it and report whatever you think after it tells you what it wants to tell you.
popcorn.gif

Head fi farewell I'm done :smiley:

what?

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #17,576 of 100,473
  SF there are two gain switches there for each channel, dump them up to HIFREAKING HIGH_FI SETTING AND BLAST OFF!

BTW in case people do not know that is the IHIFI 812V2.  450 mw output. IF I can drive a modded T50 right now at 38-40 / 40 volumes on the Colorfly C3, and it is only 26 mw output total then this sucker should do fine.
Take your time with it and report whatever you think after it tells you what it wants to tell you.
popcorn.gif

what?

Already did, was wondering that they were so i used a toothpick to flip them to the other side and was like hmmmmm only one side gets louder. LoL so i flipped the other side as well. Even with max gain this Brick can only drive those Fostex when it is almost tapped out on the pot.  I would say 85-90% at least, 100% is not even THAT loud tbh so..... this brick is as powerful as the e17s it seems, maybe slightly less so.

Oh and forgot to mention that the UI is not bad at all, figured it out within minutes, very similar to my rockboxed sansa clip+, pretty basic but gets the job done.
ksc75smile.gif

^ Not before you get me those Yammies you're NOT!!! C'mon chill, you the man.
beerchug.gif

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #17,577 of 100,473

Already did, was wondering that they were so i used a toothpick to flip them to the other side and was like hmmmmm only one side gets louder. LoL so i flipped the other side as well. Even with max gain this Brick can only drive those Fostex when it is almost tapped out on the pot.  I would say 85-90% at least, 100% is not even THAT loud tbh so..... this brick is as powerful as the e17s it seems, maybe slightly less so.

Oh and forgot to mention that the UI is not bad at all, figured it out within minutes, very similar to my rockboxed sansa clip+, pretty basic but gets the job done.
ksc75smile.gif

^ Not before you get me those Yammies you're NOT!!! C'mon chill, you the man.
beerchug.gif

IHIFI812 Earphone output power: 450mW/16 Europe; 225mW/32 Europe; 99mW/150 Europe; 50mW/300 Europe 

I think Nick has the spec on the stock T50 impedance but I suspect it's way over the 16 Ohm mark where the 450mw comes from.

Just how big is that thing?

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #17,578 of 100,473
as he said LOLOL it is a brick, If I recall it's 5 inches by 3 by 1?  Hold up on the Impedance...  Ok off the T50 box

50 ohm...
 98 db sensitivity

and most excellent 3 watts max input until your ears bleed out. and your head turns to oatmeal.

How is it though that the C3 can hit near uncomfortable levels here as I type near max, and that is 26 mw max.  I say it needs a chargin yo. Even project86 mentioned driving them fine on low gain.
Just sayin is all....
maybe this mod bumps things up a ton.

Dec 18, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #17,579 of 100,473
  as he said LOLOL it is a brick, If I recall it's 5 inches by 3 by 1?  Hold up on the Impedance...  Ok off the T50 box

50 ohm...
 98 db sensitivity

and most excellent 3 watts max input until your ears bleed out. and your head turns to oatmeal.

How is it though that the C3 can hit near uncomfortable levels here as I type near max, and that is 26 mw max.  I say it needs a chargin yo. Even project86 mentioned driving them fine on low gain.
Just sayin is all....

That is one large DAP.. Cripes battery life must be about 2 years on a charge.

Either that or the C3's 26mw was rated with 3000 Ohm phones
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #17,580 of 100,473
DS must be in such bliss with his Shures that he has no need for a new "Discovery"

Been busy finishing strong on my exams before the big holiday break. Glad you guys been finding them gems. Carry on my fellow sound seekers. I am always reading what people write on the threads so I may not post as much but I am always reading..

As for the Shures..This headphone is so much an ideal sound for me.They have performed better than expected for me..Really a top level sound and that is what it is all about. By the way. Don't believe that Too pro review you guys might read on Amazon from Dale thong.. He is completely wrong about the rolled off highs. I laugh when I read that as he makes it seem like these have a similar level of rolled of highs as something like a Sony XB sound or something. These don't have any rolled off highs to my ears at all especially after burn in.. For me it is hard to really point out anything in the sound I dislike..It is good to hear such a musical phone that don't sound so clinical or lean just to give a sense of space.. The sound just takes my breathe away at times. Yes these cans are spoiling my hearing..I find myself just sampling a tune or two just to be listening for hours on end...They are too good. Lol.

I will have the new L2s very soon and if they sound every bit as good as I heard them I am sure those will be winners as well.. Hope everyone gets what they wish for this Holiday season..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back