The discovery thread!
May 18, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #1,411 of 100,490
Lol. Well what if the FX40 turn out to be a turd in disguise. Lol. And what if those IEM856MD turn out to be fantastic..Ya you are on record. I have witnesses..Who found out about that price anyway that must have been a flash in the pan pro mo. I was thinking geeze these cost $105 Are these that great that I need to spend $105? Lol.

May 18, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #1,412 of 100,490
Quote:
Lol. Well what if the FX40 turn out to be a turd in disguise. Lol. And what if those IEM856MD turn out to be fantastic..Ya you are on record. I have witnesses..Who found out about that price anyway that must have been a flash in the pan pro mo. I was thinking geeze these cost $105 Are these that great that I need to spend $105? Lol.

I have an edit button lol. Techno Kid was the saint who alerted us to it.

May 18, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #1,414 of 100,490
Quote:
I have to admit I have seen liquidation sales but that is just nuts. That isn't even the cost of the materials I bet. That was sold for $250. Lol.

Let's just hope they stick to their word. I can't blame them if they don't

May 18, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #1,415 of 100,490
Quote:
ericp10, have you heard these before or has someone reviewed them? Or are the specs special and promising?

The reviews I've read have been mainly positive (like iLounge, which I'll send the link once I can find it again). I haven't read the link review Dsnuts put up yet, but I will. I've read three reviews that have been fairly positive.

Since I have a review sample of the Audiofly AF78 (another DD/BA hybrid dual driver), I want to see how these fair against it. Now, the AF78 used the dynamic for the bass and mids, and the BA for the highs. This hybrid uses the dynamic just for the bass, and BA for the mids and  highs. I have found with the AF78 that it initially sounded quite disappointing to my ears (especially in the bass and highs) during the first week. But after lots of burn-in, and realizing I wasn't wearing it correctly, the AF78 has sprung to life with some nice deep bass and nice highs (the mids always sounded decent). So this will make an interesting comparison. 

I too, like eke, have amassed too many IEMs. I think I'm going to start giving some of the lower cost ones away instead of selling them (like the ckm-50 and the Isurus . If I don't like these I will probably give them away too, but I believe these hybrids need extensive burn-in to really come into its own in sound.

May 18, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #1,416 of 100,490
I don't know Dsnuts. Dosley is a cool guy, but I remember he got rid of the ASG-1 in a day or two (just didn't give them a chance to show all that it could do). I'm going take my chances and judge the the 856m on my own... Most reviews I've looked up have been pretty positive.

May 18, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #1,417 of 100,490
Quote:
I don't know Dsnuts. Dosley is a cool guy, but I remember he got rid of the ASG-1 in a day or two (just didn't give them a chance to show all that it could do). I'm going take my chances and judge the the 856m on my own... Most reviews I've looked up have been pretty positive.

Lol You got them for $15. That is not taking a chance on that. That is a free gift from the earphone gods. LoL. I think the price difference between a phone control version vs a non control version of any earphone would cost more. Lol.  I would have bought 4 just to have as gifts. When you had that link up I had no idea why you were linking us here to that 856m but I found out from Eke that you guys got them for $15? Lol. That is the craziest price I have ever seen for anything on Amazon. I hope that goes through for you guys and they are getting some decent write ups online. Will be interested to hear what you guys have to say about the new deal of the year. Cuz that has to be.

May 18, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #1,418 of 100,490
22 hours of burn in... Improvement definitely still not there. still painful.

I wonder where JVC is going with this nanotube driver. Do you think they'll tune it differently and have several models in the $25 price range? i'm beginning to wonder whether or not these harsh highs will tame out. whenever i listen to something with little-no highs in the music, and not busy music it sounds great. Vocal chill music, and such, and older rock like the old foo fighters, jimmy eat world, and whatnot these sound fantastic and i can listen at my usual volume level.

anything busy sounding like foo fighters, or m83, trance and such is just plain painful for me. back to burn in. about 1/4 of my goal burn in.

May 18, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #1,419 of 100,490
Burn in does tame the highs but more brings up the mids to the highs more so. You know one thing you can do for now. Try out a different tip. Will lessen the highs for you. Anything with a smaller sound hole than stock will do this. UE tips for example or complys if you got them.

I think for most guys the highs are not gonna be too much of an issue. The highs on here are not anything more extended than lets say a GR07 or even the EX600 for example. In fact my pair now sounds about as good as this set is gonna get and to my ears they are not fatiguing in any way. Crisp clean and articulate but not ear piercing or sharp at all. Try a smaller holed tip from one of your other sets and you can try the stock tips again after the burn whips them into shape.

May 18, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #1,420 of 100,490
Quote:
Lol You got them for $15. That is not taking a chance on that. That is a free gift from the earphone gods. LoL. I think the price difference between a phone control version vs a non control version of any earphone would cost more. Lol.  I would have bought 4 just to have as gifts. When you had that link up I had no idea why you were linking us here to that 856m but I found out from Eke that you guys got them for $15? Lol. That is the craziest price I have ever seen for anything on Amazon. I hope that goes through for you guys and they are getting some decent write ups online. Will be interested to hear what you guys have to say about the new deal of the year. Cuz that has to be.

I got an email and I have done some investigating and I'm pretty certain they're legit. I think that this particular model just hasn't been selling well and they're offering this incredible price so that enough can hear them and write some (hopefully positive) reviews about them.

May 19, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #1,421 of 100,490
Right out of the box the FX40s rock it like I was expecting. Such resolution, speed, black background, placement. Under $22.00 is just plain ridiculous. I know I'll buy 3more sets so it feels like I'm not stealing these!

May 19, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #1,422 of 100,490
Just got a pair of FX40s today and they blow away the monoprice completely . These little iems pack some serious fidelity, now its been awhile since i listened to the Panasonic HJE900s but these seem to offer the same detail-if not more with a much more balanced presentation. Great job indeed on finding these little iems i just might pony up for the FX80s as well. I might do a comparison to my denon 510s for giggles after i get them re-cabled.
wink_face.gif

May 19, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #1,424 of 100,490
Quote:
Where should I get the FX40 from?
Found them on amazon at 22$ shipped from "Nu Image corporation"
Looks like they ship worldwide but I can't find Israel on their list.

Maybe try Amazon UK?

May 19, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #1,425 of 100,490
looks like Amazon UK doesn't have them.
Anyway I'm waiting for a reply from the seller.

edit: I continued to "Place your order" and the price jumped to 77$ (60$ shipping), argh. really wanted to try these. 
Ebay has them for 50$ shipped, but i'd rather get the CKS77 at that price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back