The discovery thread!
Sep 4, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #13,786 of 106,565
Not sure if its worth getting if you already own other quality headphones like the M500's or WS99. It is a different presentation so it can be worth while. I like both Onkyo's, especially at the given price but its not better than several other gears in this thread. Neither of mine have much over 50 hours of burn in so only time will tell but I have a feeling more changes will come, especially with these cables. I would still recommend them as a safe purchase.

So at this point you think the sound in the M500 and the WS99 is better than the Onkyo headphone? I mean the premium Onkyo cable headphone and the WS99 about the same price now (or within the same vicinity).

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #13,787 of 106,565
  So at this point you think the sound in the M500 and the WS99 is better than the Onkyo headphone? I mean the premium Onkyo cable headphone and the WS99 about the same price now (or within the same vicinity).

I like the WS99 for it's fast and forward presentation, more so than I liked the CKS1000 mainly because I like the treble better on the WS99.  Treble makes a huge difference for me.  M500's overall sound is really good and I would probably consider them above the other two.  The Onkyo headphones are more relaxed and smooth sounding so it's all together a different signature and it's done well enough that it can compete with something like the WS99.  Onkyo's reminds me of the WS77 actually and I sometimes preferred them over the WS99.  There's an headphone that never got any hype but is amazing in sound.  Anyway, I think the Onkyo's can compete with the WS99 or come close becuase the overall sound isn't offensive or lacking in any major way.  But, if I were to sell any of my current purchases, it would be the Onkyo IE's and then the Onkyo ES's over the KEF's or the WS99.  Again, lets hope more burn in changes my thoughts on the Onkyo's because they do seem like there's potential and I'm willing to give it a chance instead of returning it within that window on Amazon.

Sep 4, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #13,788 of 106,565
  I like the WS99 for it's fast and forward presentation, more so than I liked the CKS1000 mainly because I like the treble better on the WS99.  Treble makes a huge difference for me.  M500's overall sound is really good and I would probably consider them above the other two.  The Onkyo headphones are more relaxed and smooth sounding so it's all together a different signature and it's done well enough that it can compete with something like the WS99.  Onkyo's reminds me of the WS77 actually and I sometimes preferred them over the WS99.  There's an headphone that never got any hype but is amazing in sound.  Anyway, I think the Onkyo's can compete with the WS99 or come close becuase the overall sound isn't offensive or lacking in any major way.  But, if I were to sell any of my current purchases, it would be the Onkyo IE's and then the Onkyo ES's over the KEF's or the WS99.  Again, lets hope more burn in changes my thoughts on the Onkyo's because they do seem like there's potential and I'm willing to give it a chance instead of returning it within that window on Amazon.

Thanks DannyBai

Sep 4, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #13,790 of 106,565
  So

Just how do these stack up.. The one word that comes to mind is potential.. There is some rawness to the sounds for certain. I have heard too many phones out of the box not to recognize rawness when I hear it.. The cable for one definitely needs burn in for them to fully develop the sound they were intended for. For one. And the big dish type drivers is another. The only other drivers I can remember that are actually bigger is on the EX600 and XB90EX. So the sound is tuned big. The mids are forward but not the best balanced mids I have heard. It is surprising to hear mids being this forward with a bigger bass punch, which I think will actually get much better over time. The one problem I am hearing now is the lack of timbre detail and a roll off in the highs and add to that the mids being pushed forward with the bass that is not as tight as I would have imagined and people might be wondering what is going on with these phones.

Danny mentioned guys that love their vocals will like these alot and I think that holds true but in this raw form there is some shoutiness happening with some female vocals that have range..The give n take of a forward signature is the forwardness of the sound can mask some detail and that is also what is happening to the sound on these.. So was I blown away by their sq out of box? No not really but what I did hear was good potential and maybe even great if they ship up in the areas I feel needed for them to have the type of sound these are trying to go for. I know I am sounding a bit critical but compared to how refined the M200 sounded on open box these need work for them to become something real competitive.. I know I can only wish this and that tightens up with burn in on these but I am not gonna judge these at all until I got these nice n loose. I will definitely have more observations of these as they go along in the process.

As they are I can see many a guys liking this sound as this mid forward signature is actually somewhat unique among earphones..Would I recommend guys give these a go? If your a mids kinda guy absolutely. These also sound excellent with EDM and hiphop., Pop and vocals..I fully expect these to become much better after several weeks of non stop treatment.  I will report as they go along. Like I said these do have some nice potential.

I briefly listened to the headphones. I also think Danny is right on that as well the headphone have a real nice sound to them and right off the bat has the better detail in the sounds. I believe it has something to do with their 40mm Titanium drivers they are using.. At this point I kinda wish they used that on the earphones too...

If I remember how my CKS1000 sounded on open box. They were actually worse so we will see where these go from here.

Hmm, so the Onkyos aren't exactly wow material...
Here's to hoping they actually get good!

Sep 4, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #13,791 of 106,565
im glad there is zu solution!  the zu cables get better and better with burn in, up about 400 hours
so keep them hummin with sound!  going back to stock cables makes me feel deaf, so its worth
the effort to get them and burn em in and use em 

Sep 4, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #13,792 of 106,565
  Hmm, so the Onkyos aren't exactly wow material...
Here's to hoping they actually get good!

I left them to play overnight and I am already hearing improvements. The bass end is changing and the mids also are leveling out a touch..There is a good chance these earphones will need a big burn in for them to show exactly what they can do. I like this sound signature and it is more closer to the CKS1000/ NE-700/ bassos than the S2/RE-400 in the type of sound it is going for so not all that neutral..The mids are the star of the show on these earphones.  So far I am encouraged that the sound is starting to level out. I don't expect these to sound their best until at least a weeks worth of burn in and quite possibly more depending on how soon them cables whip into shape.

For guys that are getting these. Burn in is a must for real on these. Already detecting improvements which is good news indeed.

An observation. These are rated at 32ohms yet they behave more like 16ohm earphones. They get really loud in a hurry and show more differences in volume going from tune to tune more so than most 32ohm phones I have encountered. So more sensitive than standard 32ohm phones and can go really loud in a hurry. These don't seem to need more powerful sources to get full sound out of at all.

I mentioned this to Danny in a PM. But the designs on the earphones and headphones. Using dual air chambers. Do kinda remind me of AT phones. Don't know if AT was outsourcing some new designs or was a joint designing effort but somewhat I feel there are some ties to AT on both of these. Just a thought.. The bass of the headphones do remind me a lot of the WS series.

Sep 4, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #13,793 of 106,565
Okay guys and girls, another new earphone. I got my Brainwavz S1 sample in the mail today...

http://www.yourbrainwavz.com/news_main.php?subaction=showfull&id=1377299967&ucat=4&template=widescreen&#disqus_thread

I will review them later on but out of the envelope(a pre-package sample) they are quite nice. Always liked the Brainwavz zip case, nice all metal 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter, 9 pairs of silicone tips(3 grey, 5 black with smaller bore & different material, and 1 bi-flange), 1 pair foams, and instruction/warranty card. These may be subject to change :)

My quick pic is a bit dark but you can make out how beefy the plug is next to the adapter. Y is big and sturdy as well. Housings are all aluminum. Very nicely built all around. These fit over or straight down. Deeper over the ear fit does gives some driver flex with the firmer gray tips. Easy to fit and comfy straight away. I also like the gray/burgundy color scheme.

With the gray med. tips that were on them, the sound really reminds me of the VSD1 but with more depth. Sounds like a little sibilance and a small bit of looseness in the bass needs to burn off though these are nearly gone changing to the black tips. I might just say I am more impressed with these on first glance then I was with the VSD1. Keep an eye out as I'm sure reviews, including mine, will pop up as there are a few pre-release samples out there.

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #13,795 of 106,565
Sep 4, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #13,796 of 106,565
Does the angle of the cable get in the way of a deep insertion?

TBH, you do get deeper insertion over the ear but these are not a real deep insertion phone. That front of the housing is 13mm wide. So, most people will only get them in so far. Reliefs aren't an issue for me up or down. Longer tips are a solution if you wanted a deeper insertion. The foams are longer(11mm) and a pair of bi-flanges are included. The design is done well to work both ways well, be comfy, and give the right depth for optimal sound. The sound is as RAZ described it basically, warm bass but not too bassy and more treble than some previous models. These do seem to have a bit brighter treble than the VSD1 and a similar amount of bass. 

EDIT: Upon some early comparisons these pack more of a full beefy sound than I originally thought. More bass than my PCX 95 which is on par with the amount in the VSD1. So, I'll see how much tames on both ends but these should still pack more of a punch in the end. 

Sep 4, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #13,797 of 106,565
  Welp i have passed on all the 1st three and have settled on the KEFs, so will see how they fit and sound. Hope these will fit like a glove for me. Fingers crossed!!!

Resistance is futile. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #13,798 of 106,565
Sep 4, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #13,799 of 106,565
  The CKS1000 has a very musical coloration to the sounds. Full engaging and very 3D in it's presentation. So one would figure the X3 would give with the CKS1000. Actually it is the opposite. I think what is happening is too much of the same coloration that is happening. The strong suits of the CKS1000 is being voided out by the player that has similar characteristics. The X3 has a 3D type sound and very good depth to music..On a more neutralish earphone the sound characteristics of the source will shine but the CKS1000 will only add to those characteristics and while that may sound like a euphoria. It ends up sounding way to colored.

What I am detecting is a bit too much coloration. So I put my CKS1000 on my Sony Z1060 and there is the magic I absolutely adored out of the CKS1000s. So the CKS1000 seems to play much better and show what it can do much better on a more neutral or flatter sounding source..More neutralish and detailed phones seems to play better on the X3.

Bummer about the synergy with the X3! I just got my cks1000's back from Nick (who was trying them out). and I am very happy to once again be hearing that magic (via C3 & BH). Man, I missed these puppies! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back