The discovery thread!
Aug 12, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #13,006 of 106,712
Quote:
I'm also keeping tabs on them. I'm waiting to see if they're better or as good as the CKS1000 before making a decision, they certainly seem similar going by descriptions of them. I would have the CKS1000 by now if it wasn't for them reverting to their original price on amazon jp when I was going to buy them
frown.gif

Yeah they're the two I'm looking at.

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #13,007 of 106,712
Quote:
A

What were they before if they're around 17000 yen at this point in time?
The Onkyos dont look all that great imo though but hey personal opinion. Anyways if they do sound as good as the CKS1000 i might have to check them out given that they're significantly cheaper.

I meant they had reverted to their current price of 17,000 JPY. They were down at 13,000 for a few months.

Aug 12, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #13,009 of 106,712
Well, I might be an absolute ******* (EDIT: hah, I didn't expect that to be censored) to ask here - though I hope I'm not, but I've read a couple (dozen) pages back in this thread and people around here seem rather knowledgable and I'm not getting that much help in the recommendations subforum.
So, to get to the point, I'm looking for a pretty balanced IEM for about $60 with some nice, pretty tight bass, which is comfortable when worn over-the-ear. I really like what I've read about the VSonic VSD1 and (especially) the Zero Audio Carbo Tenore. Could anyone give me some insight on how well either of these would work for listening to various genres (metal, classical, rock, some electronic, etc.) from an iPod Touch - so not a lot of power to drive them.

If I'm in the wrong place, though, please be nice about it. :D

Aug 12, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #13,010 of 106,712
Quote:
Well, I might be an absolute ******* (EDIT: hah, I didn't expect that to be censored) to ask here - though I hope I'm not, but I've read a couple (dozen) pages back in this thread and people around here seem rather knowledgable and I'm not getting that much help in the recommendations subforum.
So, to get to the point, I'm looking for a pretty balanced IEM for about $60 with some nice, pretty tight bass, which is comfortable when worn over-the-ear. I really like what I've read about the VSonic VSD1 and (especially) the Zero Audio Carbo Tenore. Could anyone give me some insight on how well either of these would work for listening to various genres (metal, classical, rock, some electronic, etc.) from an iPod Touch - so not a lot of power to drive them.

If I'm in the wrong place, though, please be nice about it. :D

I'm not good at genre sound impressions, but for rock and electronic music, I really enjoy the vsd1's. They are pretty balanced and overall sound great. And they are very comfortable to wear over the ears (although the channels are then reversed).

Aug 12, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #13,011 of 106,712
Quote:

I'm not good at genre sound impressions, but for rock and electronic music, I really enjoy the vsd1's. They are pretty balanced and overall sound great. And they are very comfortable to wear over the ears (although the channels are then reversed).

How come the channels are reversed when worn over-the-ears?

Also, I notice that you have the ZA Bassos, would the bass be too overpowering on those?

Aug 12, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #13,013 of 106,712
Quote:
How come the channels are reversed when worn over-the-ears?

Also, I notice that you have the ZA Bassos, would the bass be too overpowering on those?

The vsd1's are meant to be worn down. But they are just as comfortable to me worn over the ear (in fact they seem to fit better for me over the ears). But you have to reverse the drivers/ears. I use them mainly off of my rockboxed clip zip which allows for channel swapping, so it's not a problem for me. And some people don't mind if the channels are swapped.

The bassos bass isn't overpowering to me at all, and I love them. I would have recommended them except that I'm not sure how well they can be worn over the ears. Also, you mentioned "pretty balanced" and the bassos are a bit more V-shaped than the VSD1's (and they also have a deeper and larger soundstage).

Aug 12, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #13,014 of 106,712
I wear the Basso over the ear when at work. No problem; very secure and comfortable as well. Just make sure it's deeply inserted to make it a bit more flushed on your ears.

Aug 12, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #13,015 of 106,712
Thanks everyone for the replies!

After that explanation of the channel reverse issues with the VSD1 and hearing that the Bassos (and due to the similar drivers, I assume the Tenores as well) can be worn over-ear, I'm leaning heavily towards them. (Also the possible problems with driver flex with the Bassos have scared me away from them a little.)

The only problem is getting my hands on a pair - is using Tenso still the best way to buy them? Ebay seems slow and a bit pricier. Or is there any other IEM with similar qualities that's easier to acquire?

Aug 12, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #13,016 of 106,712
So I reached out to KEF for extra tips (wear the large) and they were receptive. I'm telling you this for those of you who heard the M200 but couldn't get a good fit, or if you're just concerned about the fit. KEF seems to be open for comments and suggestions about its products. They got back to me promptly and the email was very friendly. I didn't get into fit issues with them because I have none, but lack of tips was a concern for me. So maybe they'll work on the fit in a future model, because it's really a shame to miss out on the M200's wonderfully refined sound. 

Aug 12, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #13,017 of 106,712
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the replies!

After that explanation of the channel reverse issues with the VSD1 and hearing that the Bassos (and due to the similar drivers, I assume the Tenores as well) can be worn over-ear, I'm leaning heavily towards them. (Also the possible problems with driver flex with the Bassos have scared me away from them a little.)

The only problem is getting my hands on a pair - is using Tenso still the best way to buy them? Ebay seems slow and a bit pricier. Or is there any other IEM with similar qualities that's easier to acquire?

why are the nuforce 700m not being considered?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back