The discovery thread!
Jul 24, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #12,241 of 105,867
Quote:
Hey y'all

I've recently been looking for an amp and dac to add to be setups. I always am looking for bang for your buck (many purchases based on Dsnuts' raves, thanks btw!!) and I figured this would be a great place to ask.

From looking through this thread the two best/cheap dacs I found were the Ele and the hifimediy Sabre. Am I correct in thinking these are the best sub $50 dacs that've discovered? 

I wasn't able to find any cheap amps looking through the thread.
I have one of these cmoys on its way to my house: http://www.ebay.com/itm/200940914746?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
Is there a cheaper/better option I should consider?

I'll also be using these through my Macbook Pro or Iphone 4 so would either of those dacs actually increase SQ significantly?

Thanks a bunch!

It seems to me your looking for an all in one unit. You got 2 choices. This used Fiio E17. For the cost is a crazy deal. More portable so you can use this with your Iphone 4 and with your macbook pro http://www.head-fi.org/t/673540/fiio-e17-two-months-old#post_9638770   and there is this one which is another great option but is not portable like the E17. http://www.head-fi.org/t/671251/audioengine-d1-usb-dac-headphone-amp#post_9592158   If you just want to try something cheap I would try the Sabre dac but for a bit more you can get that E17 which has an amp section to it. That would be a good starter option to get you some better sounds for cheap.

Don't know if the Hifimediy Sabre dac is gonna work with your iphone out. That Fiio E17 looks like a good option to use on your sources. More versatile.

Jul 24, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #12,245 of 105,867
Quote:
It seems to me your looking for an all in one unit. You got 2 choices. This used Fiio E17. For the cost is a crazy deal. More portable so you can use this with your Iphone 4 and with your macbook pro http://www.head-fi.org/t/673540/fiio-e17-two-months-old#post_9638770   and there is this one which is another great option but is not portable like the E17. http://www.head-fi.org/t/671251/audioengine-d1-usb-dac-headphone-amp#post_9592158   If you just want to try something cheap I would try the Sabre dac but for a bit more you can get that E17 which has an amp section to it. That would be a good starter option to get you some better sounds for cheap.

Don't know if the Hifimediy Sabre dac is gonna work with your iphone out. That Fiio E17 looks like a good option to use on your sources. More versatile.

Thanks for the quick reply Dsnuts!

I am not necessarily looking for an all in one unit. And portability is not really an issue since I don't think either of these pieces would ever leave my room. Basically what I am looking for is the best sound for the least money (haha aren't we all?). 
The E17 is intriguing though...
Would the E17 sound significantly better than The RA1 Cmoy (already purchased) and the Sabre? And for the iPhone I would just use the LOD to the amp using the iPhone's built in DAC.
I'm just hesistant to spend another $100 on top of the $40 I just spent for the amp if the sound is not noticeably better.

Jul 24, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #12,246 of 105,867
Quote:
Okay what's the best product Dsnuts ever recommended to you? Take out cost, but just the pure enjoyment of the sound. 

For me>>>>>> the X1

The X1 one for me also... if/when I ever get it lol!

Until then, I'd have to say the CKS1000's (with help from yourself until you decided to become a traitor lol!), the Carbo Basso's, and the AD900X's.

Quote:
He's also recommended some things where I was like What? I'll visit one or two or those later. lol  (he's been on more than off though 

Yeah, both him and SF recommended the TDK MT300's to me. Like WFT???  Ha ha - inside joke (they're not that bad though!).

Jul 24, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #12,248 of 105,867
Quote:

Until then, I'd have to say the CKS1000's (with help from yourself until you decided to become a traitor lol!), the Carbo Basso's, and the AD900X's.

Yeah, both him and SF recommended the TDK MT300's to me. Like WFT???  Ha ha - inside joke (they're not that bad though!).

Just so you know Wayne. It looks like our boy sf got himself a pair of X1s as well. He got THE deal on a pair. 

Jul 24, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #12,249 of 105,867
Quote:
Just so you know Wayne. It looks like our boy sf got himself a pair of X1s as well. He got THE deal on a pair. 

I know - he's been rubbing it into me left right and center... 
size]

Jul 24, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #12,250 of 105,867

Quote:

Mine has to be the MP8320 purely because it got my headphone journey started. That great headphone at such a tiny price taught me what potential there was to be had.

Quote:
If you got that amp happening the sabre dac is all your gonna need. They are crazy good for the price. It will certainly give you a nice upgrade to onboard sound. 

Hopefully I'll ge that amp happening. We'll see how good my soldering skill are 
tongue.gif

I think that's the route I'll be going! Thanks a bunch for all your help, you've really helped in my quest for sonic bliss!

Jul 24, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #12,251 of 105,867
Taking little steps here and there is a smart way to test out them waters..There is always better stuff all of us are always tempted with but a good cheap source that does your music right is never a bad thing.

Jul 24, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #12,252 of 105,867
Quote:
Mine has to be the MP8320 purely because it got my headphone journey started. That great headphone at such a tiny price taught me what potential there was to be had.

Yes, I should add the 8320's also. I won them from dsnuts for a competition that he put on a while ago. I have to say that every time I throw them on I go "What???? $8 iems??? What's going on here!!!".

Quote:
Hopefully I'll ge that amp happening. We'll see how good my soldering skill are 
tongue.gif

I think that's the route I'll be going! Thanks a bunch for all your help, you've really helped in my quest for sonic bliss!

As Ds mentioned, the hifimediy sabre dac is very good (and awesome for the price).

Jul 24, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #12,253 of 105,867
^ i guess i'll join in the nut roasting party.
ksc75smile.gif

Ds WTFs............................... Welp................ damnnnn i can't think of any. LMAO Everything he recommended has lived up to their hype and then some.

Though the iem i disliked outta all the hyped ones was the Thermaltake Tts, but i got them cuz of my slickdealing ways back then and not cuz of Ds. Wasn't even aware of head-fi or the nutman back then. In fact it was because of those damn Tts that i stumbled onto this Discovery Thread trying to find the best tips for them due to comfort issues with that dish housing, etc. LoL

Seems like it was just yesteryear that i was blissfully rocking them $3 dealextreme iems and was content. haha Guess ignorance is indeed bliss.
triportsad.gif

... these were the sh!T.
cool.gif

Jul 24, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #12,254 of 105,867
Seems like it was just yesteryear that i was blissfully rocking them $3 dealextreme iems and was content. haha Guess ignorance is indeed bliss. :triportsad:

... these were the sh!T. :cool:

And now you're considering IEMs like the Onkyo and Fidelios like you would consider what to have for lunch..... Sorry for your wallet. :p

How's those X1s treating ya?

Jul 24, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #12,255 of 105,867
Quote:
^ i guess i'll join in the nut roasting party.
ksc75smile.gif

Wow. That was the most lame roasting ever! Rodney Dangerfield would not be impressed :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back