The discovery thread!
Jun 17, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #10,951 of 100,772
Xb90 for awesome sub-bass
77x for crazy mid-bass to sub-bass mix
X1 has good bass, priced 2-3x's more than others.
$99 corecools have big bass, mostly sub but a good hint of mid-bass and overall very pleasing sound.

Jun 17, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #10,952 of 100,772
I do find the Tenore to be a good isolating iem, and good sounding as well. It also does require stuffing into the ear canal, like the etys

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Jun 17, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #10,953 of 100,772
I do find the Tenore to be a good isolating iem, and good sounding as well. It also does require stuffing into the ear canal, like the etys

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

No need to stuff far if using the recommended tips, the M6/R1 bi-flanges. :wink:

Jun 17, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #10,954 of 100,772
[size=1.7em] JVC - HA-FR65 has anyone heard these [/size]

Jun 17, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #10,955 of 100,772
Quote:
Xb90 for awesome sub-bass
77x for crazy mid-bass to sub-bass mix
X1 has good bass, priced 2-3x's more than others.
$99 corecools have big bass, mostly sub but a good hint of mid-bass and overall very pleasing sound.

I'd be intrested in knowing how the Basso's bass fits into your grand scheme of things!

Jun 17, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #10,956 of 100,772
Has anyone heard the Hifiman RE400 and Rock-it Sounds R-50?  Both Joker and ClieOS rate them really high.  Wondering how they compare to the Zero Audios and the Fidelios.

Jun 17, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #10,957 of 100,772
Quote:

I'd be intrested in knowing how the Basso's bass fits into your grand scheme of things!

I like the Basso's over all of those.  The bass is closer to the X1 which is less than the others but still much more than neutral.  I think the Basso's has more sub-bass and not much mid-bass if any at all.  It's not overly huge bass so the rest of the sound doesn't get lost by the bass at all.  Basically a balanced phone with big bass.  Would you agree Wayne?  
Quote:
Has anyone heard the Hifiman RE400 and Rock-it Sounds R-50?  Both Joker and ClieOS rate them really high.  Wondering how they compare to the Zero Audios and the Fidelios.

Both of those phones are quite neutral with good bass.  It has less coloration than the ZA's and Fidelios.  Closer to an analytical sound.  I find them somewhat boring compared.  Not so much with the RE400's but R-50 isn't my cup of tea.  I haven't found too many armature drivers that are though.  

Jun 17, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #10,958 of 100,772
Quote:
I like the Basso's over all of those.  The bass is closer to the X1 which is less than the others but still much more than neutral.  I think the Basso's has more sub-bass and not much mid-bass if any at all.  It's not overly huge bass so the rest of the sound doesn't get lost by the bass at all.  Basically a balanced phone with big bass.  Would you agree Wayne?  

Yup, I agree 100%! I love the bass of the Basso's - perfect. In fact, I love their entire signature (even moreso when amped). They continue to impress and to be one of my favorites, which is pretty amazing considering their price. 
size]

Jun 17, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #10,959 of 100,772
I've ordered the SHE9700 in the hopes that it's a good substitute for the Bassos.
The bassos are currently my daily work horse and I'm afraid it may retire early from wear & tear.
I love these so much now that I can't afford to lose them.

With the SHE9700 coming, and if it's good enough; will become my new daily work horse.
If not, I may try the Superlux HD381F: apparently it's a cheapo version of the S2s just as the DX210 is the cheapo version of CKS1000.

Jun 17, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #10,960 of 100,772
Quote:
This might help too. Now you gotta submit some form of an ID to get stuff from Tenso but it is painless. I just took a pick of my drivers license and sent it to them,. First you want to register with tenso.. After that do this to order whatever you want from Amazon Japan.

On your home page there is a template with how to put in the address.  Go to Amazon Japan/english version. Type in Fidelio S2.. Once you see it check out just like you would for Amazon. Oh you have to register and make an account for Amazon Japan as well but it is painless as it is in English.. When you check out they will ask you were you want it delivered that is where this template will come in. All you have to do it one time.. It will remember all the info when you check out of Amazon Japan.. They ship your stuff to Tenso. Tenso charges you a shipping ad handling fee and whala. A week later you got your phone.

When you try n check out of Amazon Japan. Everything is exactly the same as the US version. Exept what your putting in is that address to ship to. It will be the Tenso address.

There is real helpful template on How to enter your tenso address. Click on it and then click on the Amazon.Co.jp template

You should see numbers 1-7

1) your name in english
2) 120-0023                         just like it says
3) Tokyo-ku                         drop down selection
4)                                       Copy n paste on your amazon this line
5)TS148XXX                         They will give you a specific TS# which is your customer number put that here
6)                                       Copy n paste this exact on your Amazon like line 4
7)03-5739-3341                  That is it. Simple as that. And once you hit order. You are done. they send your earphones to Tenso and once Tenso gets it. They charge you like 5 bux for the handling and then around $20 for shipping. That is that.

Thanks! Was pretty simple.  How long should it take Tenso to get the product and notify me to pay?

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #10,961 of 100,772
Quote:
You are comparing a $1100 (£700) to a $140 (£90) iem?
eek.gif

Quote:
hahahahahaha

That's rich. While the cks1 sounds like a great iem, calling the JH13 a waste is laughable.

The JH13 will do better overall in when throwing different genres at both. Not all genres have BIG bass. While the JH13 isn't the best in any specific genre it will hold its own in ANY genre when compared to ANY iem

Thanks for the reality check.

Well I own the JH13 and just bought the Audio Technica CKS1000, Etymotic ER-4B, Ortofon E-Q7 and others.  I was excited during my virgin (first) listen of the CKS1000, right now the ER-4B has won my heart, but I have lots of comparing to do, all in good time.

Quote:
I've ordered the SHE9700 in the hopes that it's a good substitute for the Bassos.
The bassos are currently my daily work horse and I'm afraid it may retire early from wear & tear.
I love these so much now that I can't afford to lose them.

With the SHE9700 coming, and if it's good enough; will become my new daily work horse.
If not, I may try the Superlux HD381F: apparently it's a cheapo version of the S2s just as the DX210 is the cheapo version of CKS1000.

The DX210 won't be a cheapo version of the CKS1000.  The CKS1 isn't only about bass in your face, it's also about hyperrealism, dynamic range, mids etc.

For example with metal music the kick-drum is a bit louder than the rest but the electric guitar crunch and vocals are still the showpiece I think.

Jun 18, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #10,962 of 100,772
I have some money to burn, but it's been pretty hard to decide if the step up tiers are worth it or whether the diminishing returns are just too high to justify the expense.

I have a pair of Mad Dogs that I love. The CKN70s and Vsd1 that I enjoy but I want something better.

Been debating between the X1, the 702 Annie, and/or a new IEM/CIEM.

In particular, the S2 or go bigger for the CKS1000's or ASG-2.
Hard to decide if it's worth it. For the price of the ASG-2, I could get the X1 and S2.

Final option is a new CIEM company making silicones.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/663051/new-custom-iem-company-custom-art-discussion-review-and-appreciation-thread

Will probably run me about $430-50 after shipping and molds.

So many choices and sadly I like them all too much to choose.

I should just pay that one dude on fiver.com to make the decision for me, then I can blame him if I don't like the outcome.

Jun 18, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #10,963 of 100,772
The DX210 won't be a cheapo version of the CKS1000.  The CKS1 isn't only about bass in your face, it's also about hyperrealism, dynamic range, mids etc.

For example with metal music the kick-drum is a bit louder than the rest but the electric guitar crunch and vocals are still the showpiece I think.

That is exactly how the Dx210s sound to me...

Jun 18, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #10,965 of 100,772
Theta Alpha 1, you said recently that the Green House MBK sounds very much like the ER4, which I see you also have. But the Etymotic supposedly has pronounced treble, whereas on the MBK it's very rolled-off. What made you draw that connection?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back