The discovery thread!
Apr 30, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #100,156 of 102,517
You ever start and think that a lot of the music you enjoy just isn’t produced well enough for hifi gear?
Without question, especially since the "loudness wars" engulfed studios in the early 90s. Sadly, that trend still exists today.

Take Oasis, for example. One of my Mount Rushmore bands. And every one of their studio albums sounds like rubbish. Terrible mixing and mastering.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #100,157 of 102,517
That kilobuck pricing really surprised me until I scrolled down to see it's just a placeholder. What do you think the actual price will be? I'm thinking $179 USD.

Detailed etching on the faceplates and the shell facing your ears. That's going above and beyond. So... is there any ear irritation since it isn't smooth?
not at all. it's quite comfortable and there's no sharp edge that will hurt my ears. and yes, it's so beautifully crafted that i don't know why it could be priced so reasonably.

Apr 30, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #100,159 of 102,517
What strain of weed are they smoking? I'd like to try. :)
Right? Here's an example. There was also a recent episode of the Darko Podcast where Srajan was talking about a former customer of his in California who swore he could do the same (and apparently never actually played his records).

Apr 30, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #100,160 of 102,517
Without question, especially since the "loudness wars" engulfed studios in the early 90s. Sadly, that trend still exists today.

Take Oasis, for example. One of my Mount Rushmore bands. And every one of their studio albums sounds like rubbish. Terrible mixing and mastering.
most Prince albums belong in this category too imo, genius musician... awful at the actual mixes of the tracks.

Apr 30, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #100,161 of 102,517
that Pilgrim graph is reeeeeeeeeal nice

question for the discovery folk -

What’s your favorite $500-$700 desktop amp/dac? I want to hear why.

Bonus points if you have an Audeze LCD series headphones and use your IEMs with the same amp!

I am looking at the JDS Labs Element III as the front runner at the moment…

JDS Element is an awesome two for one combo, honestly, you'd be hard pressed to find better.

Apr 30, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #100,163 of 102,517
You know what is better than a weekly sidegrade Pokemon release?

A Star Wars Pokemon.

Presenting the KZ Vader.

The evil empire strikes back yes.

Tuning switches yes. Comes with 2 versions yes.

$34 USD

https://www.kztws.com/products/kz-vader

Vader Switches.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #100,164 of 102,517
That kilobuck pricing really surprised me until I scrolled down to see it's just a placeholder. What do you think the actual price will be? I'm thinking $179 USD.
I think I recall someone being told at CJ NY or Singapore that the Explorer would be closer to $120-$150? Can't remember though

Edit: found this
1000020730.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #100,165 of 102,517
Apr 30, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #100,166 of 102,517
most Prince albums belong in this category too imo, genius musician... awful at the actual mixes of the tracks.
Painfully true. And apparently these terrible mixes were because of Prince's deliberate choices. He had a strange predilection for sharp, bright, thin mixes in the '80s. I've got a copy of 1999 on vinyl that I simply cannot listen to without some serious EQ. So much for "as the artist intended..."

Apr 30, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #100,167 of 102,517
JDS Element is an awesome two for one combo, honestly, you'd be hard pressed to find better.
yay, glad i was on a good path. I have heard good things, just hoping it plays nice with planar.
Painfully true. And apparently these terrible mixes were because of Prince's deliberate choices. He had a strange predilection for sharp, bright, thin mixes in the '80s. I've got a copy of 1999 on vinyl that I simply cannot listen to without some serious EQ. So much for "as the artist intended..."
1999 is the exact album i had in mind typing this, its unlistenable on hi-fi equipment. have to bust out the airpods and just turn my brain off every time i want to jam to that album lol.

Apr 30, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #100,168 of 102,517
1999 is the exact album i had in mind typing this, its unlistenable on hi-fi equipment. have to bust out the airpods and just turn my brain off every time i want to jam to that album lol.
True story: when I first played this album on my vintage Thorens turntable, I had a mild panic attack thinking I was going to have to bust out the soldering iron to fix something.

Apr 30, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #100,169 of 102,517
that Pilgrim graph is reeeeeeeeeal nice

question for the discovery folk -

What’s your favorite $500-$700 desktop amp/dac? I want to hear why.

Bonus points if you have an Audeze LCD series headphones and use your IEMs with the same amp!

I am looking at the JDS Labs Element III as the front runner at the moment…
I do have the LCD-X '21 and it's my favorite headphone but I have a separate amp/dac - but for the LCD-X, I think the amp part to be a decent hybrid tube setup is important. Those X's sing through my monoprice liquid platinum with good tubes. It's mind blowingly good. I would look out for something with some tubes if something makes sense that your price point.

Apr 30, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #100,170 of 102,517
Well it is new cable day today.

Today my Hakugei Soaring Dragon modular cable arrived.

Here are some of the promotional details about the cable

cf0f72bac992134a6da399a1713c1dfa.jpg

1714503077628.png

Spidergraph.jpg

couple of up close photos.

20240430_125055.jpg

20240430_125147.jpg

Using with my Moondrop x Crinacle Dusk and comparing against my ARTII Wave which is significantly less money for a modular system, what I can tell is that there is (very slight difference in the low end, perhaps a bit more tightness from the Soaring Dragon and a bit more grunt on the ARTII, it's negligible however. Vs the ARTTI I get a clearer, perhaps crisper mid and treble detail on the Soaring Dragon. Based on the ARTII Wave description the audio cable delivers mellow mid and high frequencies while enhancing transparency. Makes sense I guess?

I think both claims are valid here but the differences are not something that is night and day on my Asgard 3 paired with a German Lavaudio D600 DAC. It's still straight forward enough to tell with a song like Holocene, Prt. II by Klangphonics to get the gist on the differences and maybe a follow up song with more vocals. Do I feel like the soundstage has expanded, I don't think by much as the ARTTI was no slouch but perhaps the extra bump in the upper mids and highs might help to give that illusion. Hell for all I know I didn't perfectly volume match and blind test, but whatevs.

What I like about the Soaring Dragon is the modular connector. It's a screw on/off design which ensures your plug will stay in place. The ARTTI is pretty secure and I don't have any problems with that cable with things coming lose unless I give it a good 'tug'. The USB modular plug that came with my Soaring Dragon has a built in Realtek DAC, it gets the job done. The cable itself seems high quality, a little thicker than the ARTTI but still very pliable.

This is a good and seemingly high quality cable and what makes this cable attractive over the ARTTI is the USB C modular option, if that is something you need. You can of course get the cable without the USB C option for a bit less, there is also a lightning option for older Apple phone users.

I give this a thumbs up for now and this is a very quick impression for about 35 minutes of listening fresh from the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back