Smartphone/DAP ($350)
  • Dimensity 7050
  • 6.7" 1080p, 120hz, Curved OLED
  • 12gb LPDDR4x RAM
  • 256gb UFS 3.1 storage
  • MicroSD slot up to 2tb
  • 2x 64mp "HD" rear camera
  • 32mp front camera
  • 4.4mm fully balanced +3.5mm SE, Flagship decoding chip, Gold-sinking independent audio circuit, Independently LDO supply
No details on the DAC/AMP chip used
but its not a bad preposition for a midrange smartphone that works as proper DAP for a secondary device
if not for the fact its Moondrop... with its esoteric QC...

I wonder whether people could import this to my country with smartphone import restriction and all.
DAP/AMP could pass, but if you wanna put SIM card in it you gonna need to register/pay additional tax first
Saw this is using stock android as well instead of Moondrop software. A much more intriguing offer at that price.

Apr 24, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #99,694 of 100,595
Nah. the Coreir tips don't help because even the large tips run smaller, so the seal isn't any better than any other tip.
Hm, I believe Coreir can definitely improve the seal too, because they extend further into the ear canal than usual tips and also their stiff brass structure won't be deforming but instead keep its shape regardless of ear canal width.

The Singolo has a very short nozzle.

It won't be an issue for smaller or average sized ears, but those with larger ears will have problems getting a seal or letting the IEM stay inside, short of modifying it or putting longer nozzle aftermarket eartips.
Oh I had some nightmares before with short nozzles, even the IE600 was imperfect despite being the smallest of small. My ears are, if I had to guess, above average in size. Shorter nozzled IEMs are very dependent on how they gel with one's concha. And yes, sometimes a bit less concha space actually allows for a more snug fit - this seems to be the make or break of the Singolo.

Apr 24, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #99,696 of 100,595
Hi all, this is Joseph speaking as a hobbyist and just going to translate some 1st party chatter from Moondrop on the phone for everyone's interest and PSA I suppose. The phone's highlight are as follows:

The tagline / sales pitch from Moondrop on Bilibili about the phone, is that "it sorta works"And from Herbert, the CEO of Moondrop, here's his candid opinion about the product:For the most part, smaller company would not dip their toes in the phone market. In a cut throat / hyper competitive market, we do not have any economy of scale, and we have to spend a good amount of human resources and capital to implement a complex audio module and all the problem it entails.Although we have set the price to a point where there is little chance of recouping the cost, it's still accused to be overpriced. For our scale and resources available, this project is definitely going to cost big time.

All sources posted here for anyone to critique my translations. I do really respect a company who would come up with such a product tbh, and I can't wait to hear it.

1713979654873.png 1713979761780.png 1713979801775.png

Awwww ...

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #99,697 of 100,595
-Saw this is using stock android as well instead of Moondrop software. A much more intriguing offer at that price.
Price is intriguing but depends on what the dac/amp specs are going to be on whether it triggers an impulse buy from me. If it's just a Dawn Pro squeezed into a phone I'll pass, I can just hook one of those up to my current phone and enjoy the savings.

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #99,698 of 100,595
Woot. Spotlighted again. 4th time!
1713981724152.png

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #99,699 of 100,595
Apr 24, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #99,700 of 100,595
The tagline / sales pitch from Moondrop on Bilibili about the the device functioning as a phone, is that "it sorta works"
I think I get Herbert's opinion on the phone - but then again, it seems like it was intended to be an audio-first phone experience in general. I get that it can't game great, it's running what's essentially a thrice-rebranded Mediatek chip and trying to run anything past 60FPS on it would be, let's say, folly. But if it goes through the usual stuff of "can I open this app without the phone imploding" okay, then I think it'll be fine. If anyone was ever more interested in making the phone better rounded, a GCam port would probably be feasible. The thing I'd be more worried about is the actual software experience, given Moondrop's LINK App shenanigans and the DSP cables being kinda janky. If they frequently release fixes and free up the platform to custom software, I think the Moondrop phone has potential. Perhaps Herbert's being a little too hard on himself.

Still though, $349? I expected $449-499.

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #99,701 of 100,595
Apr 24, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #99,702 of 100,595
Hi all, this is Joseph speaking as a hobbyist and just going to translate some 1st party chatter from Moondrop on the phone for everyone's interest and PSA I suppose. The phone's highlight are as follows:

The tagline / sales pitch from Moondrop on Bilibili about the the device functioning as a phone, is that "it sorta works"

And from Herbert, the CEO of Moondrop, here's his candid opinion about the product:

All sources posted here for anyone to critique my translations. I do really respect a company who would come up with such a product tbh, and I can't wait to hear it.

1713979654873.png 1713979761780.png 1713979801775.png
Sounds about right… sounds like a first gen product. Good on him for being honest, thought it makes me wonder just how bad it really is if Mr Moondrop is even saying it’s mediocre lol. They really should have had a string of hits before this launch. More people would be excited.

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #99,703 of 100,595
I think I get Herbert's opinion on the phone - but then again, it seems like it was intended to be an audio-first phone experience in general. I get that it can't game great, it's running what's essentially a thrice-rebranded Mediatek chip and trying to run anything past 60FPS on it would be, let's say, folly. But if it goes through the usual stuff of "can I open this app without the phone imploding" okay, then I think it'll be fine. If anyone was ever more interested in making the phone better rounded, a GCam port would probably be feasible. The thing I'd be more worried about is the actual software experience, given Moondrop's LINK App shenanigans and the DSP cables being kinda janky. If they frequently release fixes and free up the platform to custom software, I think the Moondrop phone has potential. Perhaps Herbert's being a little too hard on himself.

Still though, $349? I expected $449-499.
Makes me wonder if there wouldn't be more of a market for just a super budget DAP? Like take all the phone and camera components out, make a dedicated DAP with android, cheaper and slightly smaller screen, WIFI, and the built in DSP and sell for $150-200?

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #99,704 of 100,595
Makes me wonder if there wouldn't be more of a market for just a super budget DAP? Like take all the phone and camera components out, make a dedicated DAP with android, cheaper and slightly smaller screen, WIFI, and the built in DSP and sell for $150-200?
Isn't that what the Hiby M300 already is? It's essentially an Android-based iPod Touch.

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #99,705 of 100,595
IMG_6038.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back