The discovery thread!
Apr 24, 2024 at 1:27 AM Post #99,676 of 100,564
I will soon start writing a review for Singolo and it will be mostly positive. I cannot figure out why the fit seems to affect so many out there, they really dont seem to be shaped weirdly in any regard as far as I can tell.

The Singolo has a very short nozzle.

It won't be an issue for smaller or average sized ears, but those with larger ears will have problems getting a seal or letting the IEM stay inside, short of modifying it or putting longer nozzle aftermarket eartips.

Its annoyingly hard to find mid range (or above) smartphone with microSD+Headphone jack nowadays.

The thing is, with the advent of dongle DAC/AMPs in the past few months, we can get very good sound for even a $30 dongle coupled to a low end smartphone.

I know that involves a dongle dangling on the phone - ie potential wear and tear - but the dongle plus smartphone combination in terms of price-to-performance ratio has rendered some budget DAPs obsolete.

I'm not sure how good the DACs or even the amplification potential are on a midrange smartphone by itself, but we can get good power and sound plugging in a cheap dongle like the Fiio KA11, which pumps out 200 mW at 32 Ω on 3.5 mm. Such dongles do burn battery life, but we can't game physics when you want big power output.

Apr 24, 2024 at 1:42 AM Post #99,677 of 100,564
Likely, I think. Even the physical design if these two look similar.

Tbh, I didn’t think the Ace would be good when seeing the graph, and I didn’t like it on first listen, but it grew on me. The quality of the large metal diaphragm DD here is impressive.
AGain.. the combo offer on the promo email pairs it with that Hiby R3 II

and the one they suggest buying with R4 (in the promo that is) is Hiby w3 II (the small bluetooth dongle)

The tagline for the uber-cool R4 is also crappy: "New Generation Audio Evangelism"

Apr 24, 2024 at 1:44 AM Post #99,678 of 100,564
Such dongles do burn battery life, but we can't game physics when you want big power output.

Snowy Night and W4 would like a word with you :beyersmile:

@Singaravelan the “evangelism” is likely reference to evangelion genesis anime. Would be cool if they manage to get the rights to release a unit with EVA-01 color scheme.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 1:49 AM Post #99,679 of 100,564
the “evangelism” is likely reference to evangelion genesis anime. Would be cool if they manage to get the rights to release a unit with EVA-01 color scheme.

Oh okay ok. For non-anime crowd, it looks crappy but then is there even a non-anime crowd in today's world? Some like me seem to be in minority, especially going by the Waifu-lover Baskingshark's posts!

Apr 24, 2024 at 1:59 AM Post #99,680 of 100,564
Snowy Night and W4 would like a word with you :beyersmile:

@Singaravelan the “evangelism” is likely reference to evangelion genesis anime. Would be cool if they manage to get the rights to release a unit with EVA-01 color scheme.

I haven't tried the W4. Yes, Snowy Night has respectable power on high gain with 4.4 mm at 300 mW output.

But that is dwarfed by some dongles like the KA13 (550 mW output desktop mode 4.4 mm) and the KA17 (650 mW output desktop mode 4.4 mm).

I do like the Snowy Night in terms of sound, but it can't power some demanding outliers. Not a matter of volume, but for bass tightness, soundstage and dynamics. Snowy Night runs cooler and drains less battery than the above Fiio dongles, so bigger power output generally necessitates bigger battery burn and heat.

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:07 AM Post #99,681 of 100,564
I haven't tried the W4. Yes, Snowy Night has respectable power on high gain with 4.4 mm at 300 mW output.

But that is dwarfed by some dongles like the KA13 (550 mW output desktop mode 4.4 mm) and the KA17 (650 mW output desktop mode 4.4 mm).

I do like the Snowy Night in terms of sound, but it can't power some demanding outliers. Not a matter of volume, but for bass tightness, soundstage and dynamics. Snowy Night runs cooler and drains less battery than the above Fiio dongles, so bigger power output generally necessitates bigger battery burn and heat.
What I emphasised was efficiency. These can go to 300mW or 400mW on peanuts, whilst dongles of the old like my S9 Pro drains battery extremely fast for like 200mW. To my ears when testing with the Crimson, the KA7 has to go to desktop mode to match the stage depth of M15 and snowy night. That’s why I decided not to buy that dongle (and robbed purchased the W4 at a generous discount from my friend).

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:08 AM Post #99,682 of 100,564
Here is a Hidizs MS1 Galaxy review. Nice option for beginners or for a second, daily set.

IMG_20240222_154903-wm-54991.799999952316_watermarked.jpg

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hidizs-ms1-galaxy.26704/review/33666/

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:09 AM Post #99,683 of 100,564

The W4 is very good. It sounds much nicer than the Fiio KA13, for example. Or even the iBasso DC04 Pro.
But if you're worried about the battery of your phone, there are solutions like the Fiio BTR 15, which has a battery inside and a switch that let's it take power from the phone or not. The sound is decent and it has even Bluetooth, should you need it. I think the max output is 340mW. Again, no battery drain...

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:49 AM Post #99,684 of 100,564
We need more people making sensible IEMs like 64 Audio that can be used with anything yet extremely transparent to the whole source chain.
Hey chap without wanting to piss you off 😂 and just because you have mentioned this a few times recently.
LID to my understanding is just a basic voltage divider (couple of resisters in parallel) - it performs under the same principles as the iematch even if the actual levels used may be different.
Unfortunately there are trade offs to using this (ie early clipping/lack headroom, distortion, significant volume adjustment, small fr changes dependant on attenuation swings) and use cases in which the technology functions better than others (high impedance amps over sub 1ohm amps). The marketing for this is perhaps a little overzealous.

Apr 24, 2024 at 3:07 AM Post #99,685 of 100,564
Excerpt from a PM regarding the SIMGOT EA500, TANGZU FUDU, SIMGOT EM6L and TANGZU Wan’er.

The EA500 weighs 11 grams, the FUDU weighs only 4 grams!

But with a phone the FUDU was lacking personality or involvement. Though maybe in a way the FUDU and Wan’er might be similar? Really the Sonus is brighter than the EM6L and more mid-forward. Where that single BA is ultimately utilized for everything. The EM6L is smoother and has a style of complex toned down midrange and beautiful imaging. Really to me the EM6L is like a better timbre (better imaging) Wan’er, also the FUDU and EM6L have a lot in common with bass, except you need that source to discover the FUDU bass. The EM6L has a laid back treble, still with sophistication due to all those BAs. But the EM6L tuning detours bad timbre due to the BAs being tuned down. Truly I went back to the Wan’er and the timbre wasn’t that great. Where this new league of Sonus, EM6L, EA500 and FUDU are world class. I would recommend any of the 3 and the fourth FUDU to a person with a good source.
Old post, but this is so true! I just compared the FUDU on JCALLY JM6 Pro and on AUNE X7s. The difference is huge! The bass is so much better with the big amp.
The reason for bringing it out again was a post on Facebook about FUDU not getting the love it deserved.
It's true, if correctly amped. It just comes alive and the bass is much tighter.
EDIT: Forgot, Using Tri Clarion tips. Great match.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 4:06 AM Post #99,686 of 100,564
Apr 24, 2024 at 4:14 AM Post #99,687 of 100,564
Hey chap without wanting to piss you off 😂 and just because you have mentioned this a few times recently.
LID to my understanding is just a basic voltage divider (couple of resisters in parallel) - it performs under the same principles as the iematch even if the actual levels used may be different.
Unfortunately there are trade offs to using this (ie early clipping/lack headroom, distortion, significant volume adjustment, small fr changes dependant on attenuation swings) and use cases in which the technology functions better than others (high impedance amps over sub 1ohm amps). The marketing for this is perhaps a little overzealous.
Thank for the explanation! I was thinking more about the medium impedance and sensitivity of these. The likes of Andromeda is extremely picky. The insensitive ones like Symphonium IEMs can push normal sources (game consoles) to distortion easily.

But yeah, I wonder how much LID works given that U12t still sounds different between sources. In fact (I can feel Phono Phi picking up pitchfork) whenever I hear a difference between cable, it’s almost always the U12t 😂

Apr 24, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #99,688 of 100,564
Old post, but this is so true! I just compared the FUDU on JCALLY JM6 Pro and on AUNE X7s. The difference is huge! The bass is so much better with the big amp.
The reason for bringing it out again was a post on Facebook about FUDU not getting the love it deserved.
It's true, if correctly amped. It just comes alive and the bass is much tighter.
EDIT: Forgot, Using Tri Clarion tips. Great match.
Well, the thing is that the FUDU keeps reappearing and showing up. Where I did a review comparing the 7Hz Sonus, the FUDU, the EM6L and the EA500......the FUDU has some of the best bass. Now people at times would like more defined explanations from me. Yet I still would go ahead and recommend any of the 4 here. Of course none are absolutely perfect, yet of course the EA500 has that slight heat, the FUDU needs to be powered right. The Sonus well, let’s just say it nowadays sounds a little more pesky in the midrange than when I reviewed it? And the EM6L is great and with all the BAs has a certain polish, but not the bass of the FUDU. Amped right the FUDU has an amazing low end. I can’t wait to hear the Aurora! Cheers!

The TANGZU FUDU 1DD X 2BA $89.00
The SIMGOT EM6L 1DD X 4BA $109.99
The SIMGOT EA500 (wait this is not a HYBRID) No, but it sounds like one, so it gets included! $79.00

The 7Hz SONUS 1DD X 1BA $59.99

Plus you get nice ear-tips with the FUDU!
DSC_0087.jpegqwqw.jpeg

The 7Hz Aurora vvvvvvv
Screen Shot 2024-04-24 at 6.54.01 PM.png

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #99,689 of 100,564
well, the price is out

1713968650010.png

Moondrop MIAD01
Smartphone/DAP ($350)
  • Dimensity 7050
  • 6.7" 1080p, 120hz, Curved OLED
  • 12gb LPDDR4x RAM
  • 256gb UFS 3.1 storage
  • MicroSD slot up to 2tb
  • 2x 64mp "HD" rear camera
  • 32mp front camera
  • 4.4mm fully balanced +3.5mm SE, Flagship decoding chip, Gold-sinking independent audio circuit, Independently LDO supply
No details on the DAC/AMP chip used
but its not a bad preposition for a midrange smartphone that works as proper DAP for a secondary device
if not for the fact its Moondrop... with its esoteric QC...

I wonder whether people could import this to my country with smartphone import restriction and all.
DAP/AMP could pass, but if you wanna put SIM card in it you gonna need to register/pay additional tax first

Apr 24, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #99,690 of 100,564

Users who are viewing this thread

Back