The discovery thread!
Mar 29, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #98,071 of 100,013
NiceHCK Himalaya

Tried to ignore this because I’m at a point where I’m mostly happy with what I have. But I’m on a DD bender and caved. And I’m glad I did.

IMG_4370.jpeg

Stock everything, open listen.

It gets timbre mostly right (key requirement for me) and being a single DD, it is entirely coherent (another requirement). A nice balance of natural tonality and technicalities, resolving and well extended on both ends.

Not an extraordinarily wide or large stage but I hear clear layering and imaging, decent depth and an unusual amount of height - maybe that’s why they thought to call it Himalaya.

Bass is deep and full-throated. Treble is well extended and natural, not etched, and percussion detail is almost trippy. If I were to go looking for trouble, there’s a bit of upper mid glare that prevents mezzo-sopranos from being utterly safe. Could do with a bit more body to some alto voices. But I daresay all this comes down to preference. The highest piano notes get a tad hairy but let’s see what happens with burn in and cable rolling.

The driver is faster and more nimble than the likes of Quattro and Trifecta, and capable of more bass than Project M (and presumably more treble as well - Himalaya treble is very well extended and doesn’t need the help of any BA).

And then the driver feels like it has good weight and physicality with bass and percussion hits. However, I might go looking for more dynamic contrast - the louds don’t get quite loud enough or the softs soft enough for my tastes.

But really I like this a lot. On the burner it goes.

Mar 29, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #98,072 of 100,013
Tansio Mirai X
Now I have an idea, as to what a level 11 basshead would appreciate: Switch 1 On

Seriously, this option has got the Hammer/Malleus beating on the eardrum, like a Death Metal drummer, on a speedball and two Cuban coffees.
sick haul, sheesh

tracking my cables like a mad man, i think they should be here tomorrow.

Mar 29, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #98,073 of 100,013
My god, you love that Trio!
I do, but that last line is about the Aure. It's definitely superior to the Trio, but it cost me $450 thereabouts, vs $29.00.

Mar 29, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #98,074 of 100,013
I have just listened to this on the Trio, lovely treble detail and nice solid sub bass, a real treat:

I've been listening to the Trio with the Cowon J. This one is a bit brighter DAP, but with the JET EQ, I can get so many sounds from it. Slipknot just rocks!

Attachments

• Cowon + Trio.jpg
    Cowon + Trio.jpg
    683.3 KB · Views: 0
Mar 29, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #98,075 of 100,013
Mar 29, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #98,076 of 100,013
After a few months I have now settled on1010 on the Trio switches. This suits mÿ preferences perfectly and provides the right balance. Of course sources, tips, cables and ears all vary!
1010!! IKR! That's my setting.

Mar 29, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #98,077 of 100,013
AFUL Snowynight >>>> IE900 (All Stock Components)
Now I can see why many people see IE900 as an endgame.
Snowynight is also, surprisingly clean and good dongle.

1711741534498.png

Mar 29, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #98,078 of 100,013
DSCF4790.jpg

KZ Symphony

Must admit I got this many weeks ago, due to all the bad impressions I never opened the package. Measurement alone can make you run away, and yes it can be quite spicy sounding as the graph shows.

DSCF4793.jpg

On some music it surprised me and was quite fun, sort of aggressive V shaped sound. While fun on stuff like metal it can also be a little to much, due to cymbal splashes having a lot of energy.

DSCF4794.jpg

Noticed that some of the squig measurements had impedance adapter included, tried the same with my Venture Electronic kit. Could daisy chain it to get 150ohm, this made it like I was in a bunker/basement rave. Big bloated bass and dark upper range, still quite fun experience.

DSCF4803.jpg

Tried it with 75ohm alone, this tamed the upper range without making it as dark and dampened as with 150ohm. Also giving bass a solid boost, this is now what I call a pure basshead set that also have some technical chomps. This is now actually very fun with electronica and metal, still a V shape but not sharp as before. Listening to the latest Rezz album now, and its bassy and thrilling.

https://tidal.com/browse/album/349474554?u

DSCF4795.jpg

I dont recommend it without impedance adapter, but I do think this is quite fun and decent when paired with an impedance adapter. Actually going to use this as a basshead at work, and liked this more than the Castor Bass that got a lot of praise. I also disliked all the planar models before from KZ, just some context.
KZ shipped this to me free, I have said no to review for them before. But the man keep shipping them anyway, probably since I end up sharing some photos and what I think.

Distraction over, then its back to learn video editing my first YT video.

Measurement from Paul Wasabi and Jaytiss, the 75ohm should sit somewhere in the middle.

graph (9).png

graph (10).png
or......just save your money and the adapter and buy the Trio? Just a thought.

Mar 29, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #98,079 of 100,013
Hi all! Finally back after a year of hiatus. What's on your playlist today?

Currently spinning 🎵 "Love For Sale" by Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett 🎵 on vinyl, paired with my Hifiman Arya V2 (non-stealth) & AAV Valkynaz handcrafted cable 🎧✨

Current Desktop Setup:
- Audio GD R2R mk2 DAC
- Burson Soloist x3 Performance
- TEAC TN-180BT Turntable

Pure audio perfection. 🎼

_DSC0013 (Medium).JPG
_DSC0012 (Medium).JPG
_DSC0007 (Medium).JPG
As mentioned earlier, I'm listening to Slipknot's self titled debut thru the Cowon J DAP + CCA Trio and currently spinning Liberate.....LIBERATE BANANAS!!! :wink:

Attachments

• Cowon + Trio.jpg
    Cowon + Trio.jpg
    683.3 KB · Views: 0
Mar 29, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #98,080 of 100,013
I need musicality with technical chops, as a metalhead. Like for instance, the Slipknot debut I'm listening to. There's a lot going on. So technical chops come in handy to hear all that's going on at the same time (It's hard to pick out the kegs with darker or more "musical" IEMs without the tech chops). But I'm not a fan of sterile sounds, like the EA1000 or to a more direct instance, the Crin Zero. So I love musical IEMs like the OD200 or the Wu Zetian. Both excellently musical/technical IEMs.

Mar 29, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #98,081 of 100,013
I forgot to mention. If any of the Himalaya buyers want to get a simgot nozzle and you dont have a Simgot IEM. You can just buy the filter kit which comes with one. HERE. So happens to be on sale for a cool $1.00! With free shipping!
I ordered those when I ordered the Himalaya a few days back but do you have any idea which filters and stuff I am best off using on them?

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #98,082 of 100,013
Hi all! Finally back after a year of hiatus. What's on your playlist today?

Currently spinning 🎵 "Love For Sale" by Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett 🎵 on vinyl, paired with my Hifiman Arya V2 (non-stealth) & AAV Valkynaz handcrafted cable 🎧✨

Current Desktop Setup:
- Audio GD R2R mk2 DAC
- Burson Soloist x3 Performance
- TEAC TN-180BT Turntable

Pure audio perfection. 🎼

Ey, welcome back mate. I remember the cheery dude in your profile from reviews in the past :beyersmile:

I’m listening to the discography of Samuel Kim. The dude is a genius.

NiceHCK Himalaya

Tried to ignore this because I’m at a point where I’m mostly happy with what I have. But I’m on a DD bender and caved. And I’m glad I did.

Stock everything, open listen.

It gets timbre mostly right (key requirement for me) and being a single DD, it is entirely coherent (another requirement). A nice balance of natural tonality and technicalities, resolving and well extended on both ends.

Not an extraordinarily wide or large stage but I hear clear layering and imaging, decent depth and an unusual amount of height - maybe that’s why they thought to call it Himalaya.

Bass is deep and full-throated. Treble is well extended and natural, not etched, and percussion detail is almost trippy. If I were to go looking for trouble, there’s a bit of upper mid glare that prevents mezzo-sopranos from being utterly safe. Could do with a bit more body to some alto voices. But I daresay all this comes down to preference. The highest piano notes get a tad hairy but let’s see what happens with burn in and cable rolling.

The driver is faster and more nimble than the likes of Quattro and Trifecta, and capable of more bass than Project M (and presumably more treble as well - Himalaya treble is very well extended and doesn’t need the help of any BA).

And then the driver feels like it has good weight and physicality with bass and percussion hits. However, I might go looking for more dynamic contrast - the louds don’t get quite loud enough or the softs soft enough for my tastes.

But really I like this a lot. On the burner it goes.

What an excellent impression! So much info is conveyed in easy to understand and non-ambiguous manner in a few short paragraphs. You should review more often.

1010!! IKR! That's my setting.

Mate, you shame my 1010 setting for being boring a while back. Now I use 1110 and you switch to 1010 :beyersmile:

Edit: I usually think of IEMs as computer screens.

I see tonality as colour of a screen, and technical performance as the resolution, refresh rate, and G-sync, that sorts of thing. Of course if the colour is wrong, it goes to the bin. I don’t mind if the screen does 100% balanced colour or have some deliberation with it (more vibrancy, some sort of “film simulation), as long as it is still 1080p 240Hz or 4k 144Hz. I’ll be mad if a $$$$$$ screen has 720p but “boutique emotional colour” :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #98,083 of 100,013
Mar 29, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #98,084 of 100,013
As well, 1More Penta started to align, just a bit too much DLC bass, slowly tamed with "burning" of either the drivers or the brain. Apart of its bass, Penta has a very nice extended and not harsh treble. 1More is not much in the universe of hifi reviewers, so I thought to bring some attention to Penta here.
Here is a hectic picture of my recent IEM endeavors:
I found Penta to sound like a can. Sennheiser IE200 and 600 sounded a lot better.

Mar 29, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #98,085 of 100,013

Users who are viewing this thread

Back