The discovery thread!
Mar 29, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #98,056 of 101,105
DSCF4790.jpg

KZ Symphony

Must admit I got this many weeks ago, due to all the bad impressions I never opened the package. Measurement alone can make you run away, and yes it can be quite spicy sounding as the graph shows.

DSCF4793.jpg

On some music it surprised me and was quite fun, sort of aggressive V shaped sound. While fun on stuff like metal it can also be a little to much, due to cymbal splashes having a lot of energy.

DSCF4794.jpg

Noticed that some of the Squig measurements had impedance adapter included, tried the same with my Venture Electronic kit. Could daisy chain it to get 150ohm, this made it like I was bunker rave. Big bloated bass and dark upper range, still quite fun experience.

DSCF4803.jpg

Tried it with 75ohm alone, this tamed the upper range without making it as dark and dampened as with 150ohm. Also giving bass a solid boost, this is now what I call a pure basshead set that also have some technical chomps. This is now actually very fun with electronica and metal, still a V shape but not sharp as before. Listening to the latest Rezz album now, and its bassy and thrilling.

https://tidal.com/browse/album/349474554?u

DSCF4795.jpg

I dont recommend it without impedance adapter, but I do think this is quite fun and decent when paired with an impedance adapter. Actually going to use this as a basshead at work, and liked this more than the Castor Bass that got a lot of rave. I also disliked all the planar models before from KZ, just some context.
KZ shipped this to me free, I have said no to review for them before. But the man keep shipping them anyway, probably since I end up sharing some photos and what I think.

Distraction over, then its back to learn video editing my first YT video.

Measurement from Paul Wasabi and Jaytiss, the 75ohm should sit somewhere in the middle.

graph (9).png

graph (10).png
Great photos and thanks for your impressions (even if KZ forced them πŸ˜‚). That graph makes me want to run away so I think I'll keep my distance from the Symphony pokemon.

Mar 29, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #98,057 of 101,105
Great photos and thanks for your impressions (even if KZ forced them πŸ˜‚). That graph makes me want to run away so I think I'll keep my distance from the Symphony pokemon.
I wasn't going to share anything about Symphony, but since I actually had fun the last hours now. Why not :beerchug:

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #98,058 of 101,105
What tips do you use for Singolo? I’m still having problems with the fit.

Do you have the Dunu S&S? I find that they work best with wide nozzles (like the Zero Reds)

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #98,059 of 101,105
Just a quick question to all. How often would you take a musical/euphonic sounding IEM over a technical beast?
What factors will contribute to a good balance between them?

I'm in it for the music, man. Not that I don't groove to technical performance, but I'm not paying for that.

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #98,060 of 101,105
Mar 29, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #98,061 of 101,105
@Dsnuts - great shout on the EA1000 nozzles with Himalaya, that slight extra length provides a better fit along with the AEX07 tips… absolutely fantastic, loving these IEMs.

IMG_2471.jpeg

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #98,062 of 101,105
Who needs mids lol

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #98,063 of 101,105
@Dsnuts - great shout on the EA1000 nozzles with Himalaya, that slight extra length provides a better fit along with the AEX07 tips… absolutely fantastic, loving these IEMs.

Ya my review set has the Simgot nozzles on them pretty much permanently. No looking back after using them on the Himalaya. NiceHCK can learn a thing or two from that nozzle design imo. Included one is way too short.

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #98,064 of 101,105
What sources, tips & cables do you use? Thanks πŸ™‚
Source: Xduoo X20 DAP. Tips: Medium stock Starlines. Cable: Fedai 16 core 2.5mm balanced.

Mar 29, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #98,066 of 101,105
Hi all! Finally back after a year of hiatus. What's on your playlist today?

Currently spinning 🎡 "Love For Sale" by Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett 🎡 on vinyl, paired with my Hifiman Arya V2 (non-stealth) & AAV Valkynaz handcrafted cable 🎧✨

Current Desktop Setup:
- Audio GD R2R mk2 DAC
- Burson Soloist x3 Performance
- TEAC TN-180BT Turntable

Pure audio perfection. 🎼

_DSC0013 (Medium).JPG

_DSC0012 (Medium).JPG

_DSC0007 (Medium).JPG

Mar 29, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #98,067 of 101,105
Just a quick question to all. How often would you take a musical/euphonic sounding IEM over a technical beast?
What factors will contribute to a good balance between them?
Nearly every time. I put musicality and euphonics over technical detail first. I want my IEM to bring out the best in my music, not be a microscope that nitpicks and finds every technical flaw in recording.

Tuning over technicalities. Tone and timbre over ultimate detail. That's my audiophile epitaph. :)

An example of my preferences. Most people gushed over the Simgot EA500 LM, with good reason. It's an impressive IEM for less than $100, a party in your ears in some regard. But I didn't like it. The tuning of the EA500 LM felt like each of the elements of the sound signature was tuned individually and then stuffed into a shell without much regard for overall tone and timbre. There wasn't enough cohesion for me.

Now take the Aful MagicOne. It's nowhere near as good technically as the EA500 LM, yet I LOVE it. The sound is just so smooth, pleasing and cohesive. It sounds like I'm listening to analog material, not digital. There's nothing sharp, harsh or bombastic, yet still enough detail for me.

Another example: My two over-ear headphones are the Sennheiser HD 6XX with the Custom Cans driver mod and the ZMF Aeolus. Detect an overall trend here? :)

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #98,068 of 101,105
I'm in it for the music, man. Not that I don't groove to technical performance, but I'm not paying for that.
Exactly, it is all (or should be) about music!
I am actually trying to put together some reflection on musicality vs. technicality in HiFi.
The main point would be - any "technicality" is hardly useful just for its own sake, but for one's better enjoyment of music.
To most, I would be on a very "technical" side with my penchant for dry all-BAs, yet that is my preference to enjoy acoustic strings rendering the best I currently can.

Another example on technicality would be my experience with a high-res (24/96) version of the recording of one of my favourite John Williams clarinet piece - it was clearly different mastering with all key clicks and breathing nicely resolved and not much fun to listen, unless one needs a lesson that clarinet keys need to be properly lubricated...

KZ Symphony

Must admit I got this many weeks ago, due to all the bad impressions I never opened the package. Measurement alone can make you run away, and yes it can be quite spicy sounding as the graph shows.

On some music it surprised me and was quite fun, sort of aggressive V shaped sound. While fun on stuff like metal it can also be a little to much, due to cymbal splashes having a lot of energy.

Noticed that some of the squig measurements had impedance adapter included, tried the same with my Venture Electronic kit. Could daisy chain it to get 150ohm, this made it like I was in a bunker/basement rave. Big bloated bass and dark upper range, still quite fun experience.

Tried it with 75ohm alone, this tamed the upper range without making it as dark and dampened as with 150ohm. Also giving bass a solid boost, this is now what I call a pure basshead set that also have some technical chomps. This is now actually very fun with electronica and metal, still a V shape but not sharp as before. Listening to the latest Rezz album now, and its bassy and thrilling.

https://tidal.com/browse/album/349474554?u

I dont recommend it without impedance adapter, but I do think this is quite fun and decent when paired with an impedance adapter. Actually going to use this as a basshead at work, and liked this more than the Castor Bass that got a lot of praise. I also disliked all the planar models before from KZ, just some context.
KZ shipped this to me free, I have said no to review for them before. But the man keep shipping them anyway, probably since I end up sharing some photos and what I think.

Distraction over, then its back to learn video editing my first YT video.

Measurement from Paul Wasabi and Jaytiss, the 75ohm should sit somewhere in the middle.

Since you mentioned impedance adapters, I also experimented with them on Symphony.
I started with 50 Ohm balanced with my Cirrus DAC, and to my ears, it already made Symphony "w-a-ay too bassy" IEM suitable only for bass-heavy music. 25 Ohm was better, but likely 15 Ohm or so would be optimal for the balance (perhaps, KZ tuners dialed 18 Ohm of Symphony impedance again on their rigs, as it happened with AS16 pro).
I do have a variable impedance adapter, but was lazy to use it, since I reasonably liked Symphony V-shaped renderring as is. Symphony is a decent upgrade to ZSN series and even ZS10 pro, IMO, and I hope that it is OK that some can still like (or can appreciate) V tuning despite prevailing curve-based harmanish/crinish fashion. My main grudge with Symphony is actually that it is hardly much suitable for symphonic music, at least to my preferences.

Recently I enjoyed ZAT much more, which in my opinion, is a step above Symphony and Trio.

As well, 1More Penta started to align, just a bit too much DLC bass, slowly tamed with "burning" of either the drivers or the brain. Apart of its bass, Penta has a very nice extended and not harsh treble. 1More is not much in the universe of hifi reviewers, so I thought to bring some attention to Penta here.
Here is a hectic picture of my recent IEM endeavors:
20240329_132208.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #98,070 of 101,105
like a Death Metal drummer, on a speedball and two Cuban coffees.
I'm just envisioning Animal from the Muppets on cocaine 🀣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back