The discovery thread!
Mar 22, 2024 at 5:34 AM Post #97,576 of 106,544
My 3 are
Tansoi miria X
Campfire audio Cascara
Oriveti OH700VB

Mar 22, 2024 at 5:48 AM Post #97,577 of 106,544
Since we are at end of March, would be fun to ask what is people's current 3 favorites that you own?
--------
Can start my self, in no order:
  • Campfire Audio Bonneville
  • AüR Audio Ascension
  • 634ears Miroak-II
I can compile the entrys over a week if it's interesting for folks, I think it's interesting to see what people love here.

My personal Fav IEMs currently are-

1. Spirit Torino Twin Pulse Beryllium (With Balanced Nozzle)
2. Soundz Avant (With W1 Tips + Linum DualBax Cable)
3. Hisenior Mega5EST

It's my temporary counts, doesn't mean they're on my all-time list.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 5:50 AM Post #97,578 of 106,544
Oh hiby Yvain is that good eh? Thought P8 or Magicone pip it. Yvain is bit under the radar then.
Yes, it's overall a good All-BA set. There's a lot always under the radar :beyersmile:

Mar 22, 2024 at 5:51 AM Post #97,579 of 106,544
My personal Fav IEMs currently are-

1. Spirit Torino Twin Pulse Beryllium (With Any config)
2. Soundz Avant (With W1 Tips + Linum DualBax Cable)
3. Hisenior Mega5EST

It's my temporary counts, doesn't mean they're on my all-time list.
I was close to say Hisenior Mega5EST on my list also, such an underrated good tribrid.

Mar 22, 2024 at 6:05 AM Post #97,581 of 106,544
I was close to say Hisenior Mega5EST on my list also, such an underrated good tribrid.
I'm exploring it now. Wonderful set. Better than all other Hisenior I heard probably.

Mar 22, 2024 at 7:58 AM Post #97,584 of 106,544
Not exactly as your imagination but Sony XBA-Z5 have giant 16mm DD inherited from EX1000 with additional 2 BAs handling mids and trebles. They are quite impactful but too much mid bass bleed for me (even the bleeds are from the BA)
Well, it has the giant DD and it has additional drivers. Although from what I can tell from Sony's inside view of their XBA-Z5. Being a hybrid and having a giant DD is more or less where the similarities end. it would be missing the means to bring the BA as forward as possible to move up the resonance. At least I want to address mainly that 5.5kHz resonance that the MDR-EX1000 seems to get, and from the looks of it, this resonance changes depending on how deep you can insert them. I also wonder if the reason FR plummets above 10kHz is also how far away the driver is, but I have absolutely no evidence of this being the case

Although I should probably ask at this point before I actually do anything as soon as given the chance. The MDR-EX family as well as those XBA that inherit the 16mm DD. Has anyone who owned any of the above tested the leakage resistance in any capacity? I ask this because since I don't own any of them, This is merely a hypothesis with only one paper I can't even quote properly, so I rather hear (or read?) more experiences regarding leakage resistance before I fall into the trap of designing something purely on confirmation bias and find out the hard way that it was in fact, confirmation bias.

I think another area that could be addressed is whether or not to use more than 1 woofer, since that'd be another way to increase the total Vd. After all, the point I'm trying to reach is to maximize Vd so that I can afford an increasingly larger vent and in return increase the leakage resistance. But also not overdo it to the point where the IEM would just become impossible and/or uncomfortable to fit.

I assume such design also risks addressing a potentially over-rated technical issue. The distance between tweeter and eardrum. The lower this distance, the higher the resonance. But I wonder if I may be trying to address a non-issue here.

You also address something I forgot to address myself, but let me be more direct here. All of this would be for nothing if I can't tune the drivers/crossover right in the 1st place. But also, may I research further so my theories don't fall into confirmation bias, or else all of this would also have been for nothing.

I also want to point out. I don't care if I don't earn so much as a penny from this. I just want this imaginary IEM to become reality. Or at the very least have a confirmation that I'm trying to achieve the impossible in the 1st place.

... I also wonder if despite all of the above and perfectly match a preference target in its tuning, the IEM could still end up with an F or even below in technical grade.

Mar 22, 2024 at 7:58 AM Post #97,585 of 106,544
Since we are at end of March, would be fun to ask what is people's current 3 favorites that you own?
--------
  • AüR Audio Ascension
  • 634ears Miroak-II
I can compile the entrys over a week if it's interesting for folks, I think it's interesting to see what people love here.

DSCF4632-1.jpgDSCF4578.jpgDSCF4620.jpg
Great idea, Leo, should be a very wide variety of sets in this thread!

Mine are:
• AüR Audio Aure
• AüR Audio Ascension
• AüR Audio Aurora

Haha oh my, this looks horrible huh. Not sponsored by AüR at all, trust me, I'd love a sponsorship. 😆

I cannot post the photos of mine as I do not have all of them with me, so I will just list the names:
  • Alpha Omega Ra
  • Technics EAH-TZ700
  • Pula PA02
  • Simgot EA1000
I had to add the EA1000 as 4th, as the list would not have been complete without it.
My EA1000 is close! Can't wait. I believe it has the potential to be my favourite single DD I've heard, let's see.

Edit: @Leonarfd idk, I don’t find the Crimson offensively bright. I compared the same track using Crimson, and Gaea and found that the cymbals, hats, and bells are actually more subdued with the crimson
Ooh, comparing anything to Gaea is, hm, moot? Almost? Very unique certainly.

1000012587.jpg

Mar 22, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #97,586 of 106,544
--------
  • AüR Audio Ascension
  • 634ears Miroak-II

Timsok TS-316
Juzear 41T
Melody Mest 2

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #97,587 of 106,544
1. Tansio Mirai X (very sensitive to cable, now with an ivipq 502) (yeah, my most expensive, so ...)
2. Hidizs MP145 (still very good)
3. Tough competition between NiceHCK F1 Pro and Raptgo Hook X

Mar 22, 2024 at 8:40 AM Post #97,588 of 106,544
Would I be right in thinking that EQ can be good unless you EQ right at the crossover point of multiple drivers (where applicable)? I feel crossover points are the areas that should be handled very carefully.
How do we know where those XO points are? We don't. But my guess would be that you'd be safe to EQ, say, a DD in a hybrid/tribrid setup up to 200hz without any adverse effect on other drivers.
I might be linking this too much to my car audio experience.
Shouldn't matter unless the XO is sh!t and the two driver bands cancel each other out. Then, you might run into a spot of trouble if you tried to push a null up.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 22, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #97,589 of 106,544
Hype 4
Timsok TS31
ISN NEO 5

Mar 22, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #97,590 of 106,544
I cannot post the photos of mine as I do not have all of them with me, so I will just list the names:
  • Alpha Omega Ra
  • Technics EAH-TZ700
  • Pula PA02
  • Simgot EA1000
I had to add the EA1000 as 4th, as the list would not have been complete without it.
Getting really excited about ALPHA OMEGA RA coming but really impatient also evertime someone posts about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back