The discovery thread!
Mar 5, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #96,541 of 101,547
Mar 5, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #96,542 of 101,547
Hello mates, I just publish my review of HIBY R8 II, I hope that you will like.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hiby-r8-ii.27046/reviews#review-33191

20240304_164029.jpg

Mar 5, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #96,543 of 101,547
If you're going to Canjam, I'll trade you my Obravo Cupid for a NYC hotdog. And I will be the winner in that trade haha.

Actually, it would be very cool if we had some sort of IEM "pay it forward" program. I've got too many IEMs that aren't quite worth the hassle of selling, but are otherwise collecting dust. Maybe I will just put-pocket IEMs into unsuspecting audiophile pockets at Canjam hehehehe....

Not the Cupid though, that would just be mean.
Absolutely starting to feel this way about cables and tips lol, close to there for IEMs.

I would gladly do something like this if I had more expendable cash haha.

Jealous of CanJam, missing out until September😢

Mar 5, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #96,544 of 101,547
Mar 5, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #96,545 of 101,547
Is there a Tidal appreciation thread? I have searched and searched, and cannot find one. Just wondering if anyone else had gotten this notification saying they were going to offer full lossless, HiRes FLAC, and Dolby Atmos sound for the same price of $10.99 in April. Cross posted to The Watercooler.

Starting April 10, 2024, you will now get access to our music library in full lossless, HiRes FLAC, and Dolby Atmos sound for the same price you pay today of $10.99 (plus applicable sales tax)/month. This is because we’re making it easier for everyone to enjoy best-in-class sound quality by combining our HiFi and HiFi Plus tiers into a single subscription tier called TIDAL. You will see these changes reflected on your Subscription page at account.tidal.com on your first billing date on or after April 10, 2024. Thanks for choosing to be a TIDAL subscriber.

Mar 5, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #96,546 of 101,547
Edit: the supermoon pushes everything outward, as if the entire stage is a thin dome slightly outside the head. Not much forward and backward variations, but it sounds like it has good “depth”
I struggle to comprehend how depth could even be a thing in IEMs. However, I wanted to point out something I learned in my car audio hobby, depth isn't the same as distance to stage. It feels to me like you're talking about distance to stage more than depth here.

Yes. Mids are fantastic, but the bass might edge the mids out for sheer quality? I always bounce back and forth between with is actually better?
Aure is a work of art. Shame it's discontinued. The fact it uses both DD and BA in mids is what makes it magical, I think. So as the famous song goes, it's all about the mids, about the mids, no bass or treble. But both bass and treble are wonderfully executed too, but all in duty of supporting the mids.

My most favourite discovery today: Tri Clarion ear tips https://hifigo.com/products/tri-clarion

These are packed with the FatFreq IEMs. They are comfortable, though not the most comfortable (that honor still sits with Moondrop Spring Tips). The advantage is that they preserve the upper treble extension very well without introducing peaks and without losing bass. So sad that I removed these from my cart last order. Forget the new IEMs, Imma playing with these tips and my current IEMs :dt880smile:
Clarions are great. I feel they solve bass bloatedness in some cases and they fit gorgeously. I could use them on quite a few of my sets, but I'm currently not using them on any. Hm, weird.

Mar 5, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #96,547 of 101,547
Ok mini-review written review of the Sony Pulse Elite

The sound isn’t great, think overall a A- or so. Or 7/10 if the Maxwell was a 9/10.

Fit is terrible, pads aren’t replaceable, at least it is light.

It fails to capture lightning in the bottle. And it is close to a good gaming headset rather than the Audeze Maxwell. While I might recommend it for gamers who use the Playstation, I wouldn’t recommend it for anyone else. Not for music from the phone or

I had issues with Bluetooth connection, often losing it and thought the controls were a bit clunky. If you want an overear, I’d recommend looking for a used Maxwell instead or something else.

*** 3 stars
Sorry to hear it wasn't up your alley. Good to see a direct comparison with the Maxwell as they should be the same drivers but very different build.

I have been mainly gaming on them so far (Steam Deck ) so haven't given them a proper work out for music yet, though have listened a bit.

For me the fit is comfortable, the pads are very soft and the headset is lightweight, making it comfortable for long periods.

As noted above they aren't strictly speaking replaceable, though apparently can be with some careful removal though this is far from ideal.

It has an extendable mic, that seems to work well and comes across clearly.

The battery life is around 30+ hours, and can be fast charged.

I haven't tested this fully, but other reviews appear to confirm this is accurate.

As with the Pulse Explore buds they have a proprietary Sony dongle that allows for lossless audio to avoid lag with gaming and media, and works exactly the same.

Similarly the Elites can connect to a phone or other device via Bluetooth to allow chat / phone calls / music streaming etc. simultaneously.

I only have done a bit of music listening over Bluetooth, it seemed to be ok but I have heard of connection issues as noted above.

The majority of controls bar volume and mic muting is done from a single button, not the best choice as easy to mess up the command you actually want it to do.

Sound wise, very clear, mids & highs are the Elite's strong suite, with bass being pretty accurate but un-emphasized lacking in physical presence that you would hope for on full-size headphones (and also quite lacking compared to the Pulse Explore buds with proper ear tips, though there is a reason the Explores are more expensive having better Euclid drivers)

There is one way you can improve this, however, as there is a standard 3.5mm socket, allowing you to add a 6.35mm adapter and attach it to your desktop audio setup and give it more of the power a planar *really* needs. (A 2.5mm balanced connector would have been great, but this is a PlayStation product at the end of the day, not an audiophile one.)

I'd only do this if you want them to sound their best, as you naturally lose that wireless functionality.

For gaming, it does a great job, much like the Pulse Explores, with the advantages of a larger headset, 3D positioning and sounds are accurate and impresses.

Value for money-wise, at £130 I think these are a great for a gaming headset for PS5 /PC, with fantastic sound and battery life (30+ hours vs. the Pulse Explores 4+ meaning these are perfect for an extended session of Palworld, Helldivers 2 etc.)

For music, I think they are decent but need to give them some more time before a final verdict.

Mar 5, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #96,548 of 101,547
Mar 5, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #96,550 of 101,547
I struggle to comprehend how depth could even be a thing in IEMs. However, I wanted to point out something I learned in my car audio hobby, depth isn't the same as distance to stage. It feels to me like you're talking about distance to stage more than depth here
Depth to me is front-to-back placement. Just compare Blessing 2 with Andro 2020, for example. The difference would be crystal clear. How much front to back are the instruments, or are they roughly on the thin wide plane?

Some IEMs like the Supermoon has distance to the stage rather than depth, but because of that distance, it feels as if it has better depth than it really is. Same case with Final A4000 and Symphonium Helios in shallow fit mode. I call these “pseudo-depth”.

Mar 5, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #96,552 of 101,547
Ohh I bought a bass canon. Something call the Fatfrequency GrandMystero today. I might actually be out of the buying iem game.
Anni and Grand Maestro? What else do you need. Envy of you, mate. Congrats on the new shiny!

How long until you receive the IEM?

Mar 5, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #96,553 of 101,547
Anni and Grand Maestro? What else do you need. Envy of you, mate. Congrats on the new shiny!

How long until you receive the IEM?
Probably a few weeks. On Elise it was fairly priced, I mean I did just sell my Variations, and Hibby FC6 to afford it. XD

My current take is to not buy many iems from the dealer but from a store that has return policies and such. Also have them in stock. I am all for helping the little guy but I don't care about a company's profit margin at the end of the day. I just want a quality product. The goal is Anni is the trebble set, and GM is the Variations replacement or Bass Cannon cause: Why cause Mid fi is lame!
1709679911860.png

What's your daily favorite? Still u12t?

Mar 5, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #96,554 of 101,547
Probably a few weeks. On Elise it was fairly priced, I mean I did just sell my Variations, and Hibby FC6 to afford it. XD

My current take is to not buy many iems from the dealer but from a store that has return policies and such. Also have them in stock. I am all for helping the little guy but I don't care about a company's profit margin at the end of the day. I just want a quality product. The goal is Anni is the trebble set, and GM is the Variations replacement or Bass Cannon cause: Why cause Mid fi is lame!

My man shot to the endgame in one fell swoop, sheeeesh. Living the dream tbh, if I could skip a bunch of price tiers I would in a second. One day…

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #96,555 of 101,547
Sort of. I rate it 4-5-5-5 (4 is tonality). It’s not the best in the world or anything like that, but it’s consistently excellent across the board. The clique saying is that “the IEM disappears” when music is on. I wish that I can mix nice audio in my videos one day to justify using “pro gear” 😂

As more folks think that they are better than the plain old U12t as time goes on, it’s a good time to find them on used market. IMHO, it’s the “end game” for foreseeable future since the upper end market heats up so much (think of the 8k UM pairs) so getting a true upgrade to U12t is more and more unreasonable, financial wise.

Not recommended if you are bass head though. Go with FF or NightJars instead

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back