The discovery thread!
Feb 12, 2024 at 8:16 PM Post #95,356 of 102,578
The Oriveti OH700VB been a joy to have, going away on a small tour now to some friends. Will be nice to share.

With so many sets coming, this remain maybe the most unique one I have tried lately. Don't hear so much talk about it outside the reviews, not sure why. Maybe the price is what keeping people away? I for one love it, and will miss it during the time away now.

I have posted the review before and can be found in my signature.

1000024797.jpg
Definitely price. Especially when you come across something like the CCA Trio, it will give MANY pause with those kind of pricing, unless you're someone with disposable income?

Feb 12, 2024 at 8:29 PM Post #95,357 of 102,578
The Oriveti OH700VB been a joy to have, going away on a small tour now to some friends. Will be nice to share.

With so many sets coming, this remain maybe the most unique one I have tried lately. Don't hear so much talk about it outside the reviews, not sure why. Maybe the price is what keeping people away? I for one love it, and will miss it during the time away now.

For me, it was a combo of the price and the overwhelming “marketing” posts that were made on these forums about the Oriveti IEMs. Glad it seems the brand seems able to back up with quality, but it definitely left a bad taste in my mouth.

Edit - would like to clarify that the OD200 is in my wishlists tho, if it ever goes for a decent price or a gift opportunity comes up it’s probably up next on the budget end for me

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 8:48 PM Post #95,358 of 102,578
I just received my P20 yesterday and am super impressed! It tops my Shozy Black Hole in every respect.
Does the P20 have some Planar timbre or is it pretty laid back?

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 10:22 PM Post #95,359 of 102,578
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/is...anar-universal-iem.27032/reviews#review-32981
one.jpegtwo.jpeg

Feb 12, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #95,360 of 102,578
Dows the P20 have some Planar timbre or is it pretty laid back?
After some time I spent with it, I found it’s better tuned than the Kefine Klanar. P20 is balanced, not as heavy bass as Klanar. Mids are little recessed. It’s not as special as MP145. There is a hint of planar timbre on P20 but not very pronounced. It has more of relaxed nature.

Just to add: I got a 3.5mm cable which is super thin and the pin on it is so thick that it bent when inserted in the iems. This happened to me for the first time ☹️

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 11:21 PM Post #95,361 of 102,578
Feb 12, 2024 at 11:56 PM Post #95,362 of 102,578
I'm sorry, but "burn-in" is placebo nonsense that isn't provable at all.

Why don't you take a listen to the actual R&D Manager at 64 Audio as he recently commented about this topic in this video (at 7:41). He has every reason to give some crap answer ("oh just listen to our IEMs for 500 hours then you'll see they sound amazing!") but instead he flat out says that the first 5-15 seconds of listening is the best judgement you will have. And this is a guy on the engineering team who actually knows how the drivers work. Listen to the part where he talks about how what you ate can literally affect the sound you hear - now how do you know that your IEM drivers didn't actually "burn in", but instead you are comparing the sound under two periods wherein your literal ear-drum physiology is different?

For those of you who think you can actually hear the drivers "loosening up", "becoming more cohesive", or whatever else: convince me that you're not just priming your brain to EXPECT to hear a difference. It's not complicated: if you convince yourself that the IEM's will "sound better" over time, then you are priming your brain for an expected result. When your brain expects an outcome, it tends to magically "find it". There are so many examples of this very same phenomenon that have been proven in multiple arenas. For example, when MSG became a hot-topic discussion as a flavouring ingredient in food there was an inaccurate initial study which suggested that it would make you feel bad if ingested. Once that "study" caught on among the public, magically everyone and their grandmothers proclaimed that eating food with MSG added was giving them headaches, etc, etc. The guy who initially did the study came back years later and redacted it - his conclusion wasn't even accurate. But yet, because people so thoroughly believed that MSG would make them feel bad in some way, they convinced themselves that eating Chinese takeout was giving them headaches. This myth is actually still active - there are people still convinced that they feel some unexplained ill effects after eating even mild amounts of MSG.

These phenomenons are well studied. Just like when they give someone who has some unexplained ailment a sugar pill but tell them its some magic new medication, and the subject all of a sudden doesn't feel whatever ailment they were complaining about.

The reality is that everyone wants to justify the IEM that they potentially spent hundreds or even thousands of dollars on. "Oh when I first put them in I felt they were pretty good, but then after 100 hours of burn in they became amazing!". "Oh they're pretty good with the stock cable, but this $400 cable (which is just transmitting data lmao) made everything about them better!". Nah dawg, you're just coping. It's pure cope to believe that the tiny drivers in IEM's need hundreds to hours of operation to start working as they should.

After-market cables are the equivalent of thinking that slapping on a $20,000 body-kit on a Honda Civic is going to all of a sudden improve its acceleration.
Yea you go buy an IMR iem and then tell me you don't notice a difference after burn in. I didn't subscribe to either side originally until listening to IMR, now it's pretty obvious it exists

Feb 13, 2024 at 12:55 AM Post #95,363 of 102,578
Found Mark's latest video on biases to be a good one, and very correct.
Biases can't be avoided, this is a very subjective hobby. And how much biases work on our impressions and reviews is a big question, most likely we don't know it ourself even. Only thing I know is that I tend to have biases for warmer sets, and brands can probably also be a factor.

Also found the point where he talk about bought vs free stuff very correct 💯

More easy to like something more when you have money invested into it. At least I think so 🤔

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 1:56 AM Post #95,364 of 102,578
Much better than MEST MKII, for less price.

Fit is an issue.
Does it have same kind of wide and deep stage as Mest? I always wanted to buy Mest, but now im thinking about buying Verdandi. And what is better in it than in Mest?

Feb 13, 2024 at 2:05 AM Post #95,365 of 102,578
Found Mark's latest video on biases to be a good one, and very correct.
Biases can't be avoided, this is a very subjective hobby. And how much biases work on our impressions and reviews is a big question, most likely we don't know it ourself even. Only thing I know is that I tend to have biases for warmer sets, and brands can probably also be a factor.

Also found the point where he talk about bought vs free stuff very correct 💯

More easy to like something more when you have money invested into it.

I think it’s interesting. You want to see value in sets that you bought. I’ll love personally some of my favorite sets are ones that I bought. But I sell a lot of sets to buy new ones when I bore of them. For me I find myself liking everything more equally and I can’t find cause for when I like a set when I bought it or not. So like half a dozen samples vs 100 iems purchased? I still have a few samples that I really like. It’s an interesting thought for sure. Thanks for share your thoughts.

Feb 13, 2024 at 3:18 AM Post #95,366 of 102,578
Definitely price. Especially when you come across something like the CCA Trio, it will give MANY pause with those kind of pricing, unless you're someone with disposable income?
Absolutely agree!

Feb 13, 2024 at 6:14 AM Post #95,367 of 102,578
HIFIhub

1000027654-01 (1).jpeg1000027655-01.jpeg1000027647-01.jpeg1000027645-01.jpeg1000027643-01.jpeg

Much better than MEST MKII, for less price.

Fit is an issue.

Still can't get over how pretty these new Kinera IEMs are. Lucky you for having them in your collection.

The AüR Audio Neon Pro is also at that pricepoint, don't have the same DD bass as OH700VB. But is more energetic and resolving set, much better for people who prefer clarity.

Actually getting Canpur CP54e and CP32E on tour this week, looking forward to them. I have a feel the CP54E will dethrone my NP 🫣

1000024798.jpg

My friends jokingly call the Pula 02 "Canpoor" given how its tonal balance approach the TOTL Canpur :dt880smile: Looking forward for your impression of the Canpur pair with the R8II.

Imaging finding the Trio on the electronic shelf at a local supermarket. People's mind would be blown. Such an enjoyable IEM, especially in 1100 configuration.

Feb 13, 2024 at 6:59 AM Post #95,368 of 102,578
Reviewers are getting free iems. Just an example, "Super Review" got the Dunu Glacier for free (price is 1350 dollars) and he also got Moondrop Solis 2 (2700 dollars) for free. Maybe is better if we become reviewers at this point?

Feb 13, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #95,369 of 102,578

1000024797.jpg
The OH700VB is still my favourite item of 2023 and as good as the initial wave of items in 2024 still the top dog for me.

Feb 13, 2024 at 8:30 AM Post #95,370 of 102,578
I had to make a decision. The CCA Trio....or the Penon Quattro. £30 or £400 quid. Thankfully my finger was sensible.....and seeing all those good Trio reviews.....I pressed the button on the Trio, to stay financially solvent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back