The discovery thread!
Jan 15, 2024 at 11:42 PM Post #93,106 of 106,676
To the DAP users here.. do you mainly use your DAP with local audio files or with streaming services?

Last week, the Tempotec V3 DAP was delivered and I knew right away that it was not for me as a Tidal user. It's definitely meant to be used with local files and the included Tidal app seems like it was more of an afterthought.

Here are a couple things that stuck out right away:
  • The included Tidal app requires you to log in each time. When you launch the Tidal app, it gives you a QR code that you have to scan with your phone and log in from the phone. Annoying.
  • The included Tidal app only lets you listen to official Tidal playlists or use the search function if you want to listen to a specific track. You can't listen to any of your personalized playlists. Even more annoying.
Ok, so the OS sucks for streaming with Tidal. Why not use it more like a Bluetooth device à la FiiO BTR7 and have your phone be the audio source? Well, that worked out better since the native Tidal app on my phone is actually functional, BUT there's a very noticeable delay with audio/video sync using the V3 with Bluetooth. It's not that big a deal when listening to music, but it's pretty bad if you want to watch a YouTube video from one of your favorite head-fi reviewers. Btw, the BTR7 does not have this audio/video sync issue.

The final straw was when I left it unused for a couple days and when I powered it back on, it prompted me to choose a Language. I thought that was odd and then I noticed that the clock on the V3 was the default 24hr format when I had changed it to the 12hr format. (I know, I know. Stupid non-military Americans don't understand the 24h format.) Next thing I noticed was that it wasn't connected to WiFi or Bluetooth. Apparently, it had set itself back to factory settings because it knew I was going to return it.

Welp, it's boxed up and going to be sent back tomorrow. It's disappointing because it sounded great and had plenty of power. The OS was also quick and responsive, and the form factor was about the size of a deck of cards so it wasn't a gigantic brick. I'm sure local audio file users would be happy with the Tempotec V3, but it's definitely not for Tidal streamers like me.

I have local FLAC files on the V3 and use BT streaming from my phone for Tidal. :L3000:

Jan 16, 2024 at 1:11 AM Post #93,107 of 106,676
I need more info and pics but there's a good chance I try this one. I really want to find something good in this form factor.

The design certainly is creative, but I wonder in practice, will it be secure, or worst still, might it pivot and damage the USB C port of the phone?

The implementation is probably the most important part for the ergonomics of this dongle!

Jan 16, 2024 at 1:26 AM Post #93,108 of 106,676
The design certainly is creative, but I wonder in practice, will it be secure, or worst still, might it pivot and damage the USB C port of the phone?

The implementation is probably the most important part for the ergonomics of this dongle!
if your port is easily fixable is one thing,
my old metal backed xiaomi only cost $10 to replace the usb port.
the back of the phone wasn't that hard to remove safely, so phone internal access is easy.

not sure on todays glass backed phone.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 1:27 AM Post #93,109 of 106,676

I was wondering that as well. It looks like it might be too easy to torque it a lot accidentally. And what is that at the bottom? A protruding jack, at an angle?

Jan 16, 2024 at 1:31 AM Post #93,110 of 106,676
I was wondering that as well. It looks like it might be too easy to torque it a lot accidentally. And what is that at the bottom? A protruding jack, at an angle?
i think its an attempt to expand the dimension horizontally so it won't protrude as much compared to more vertically inclined design when attached to a phone.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 2:06 AM Post #93,111 of 106,676
Tried the Hype 4s for a bit. Overall, they sounded pretty good, but the vocals didn't do it for me. The vocals were very smooth but veiled sounding. Vocals did not sound natural, more so for female vocals, less so for male vocals. Upper mids also got a bit sharp at times. I'm beginning to think I may just not be a big fan of warm sounding IEMs. Given that everyone says the Hype 4s are a lot like the Monarch MKIII, maybe I can cross that off my interest list as well.

Also got sucked into the Pula PA02 hype train, should be here in about 10 days. Hoping I like them as much as some others do, though I have some doubts.

Jan 16, 2024 at 2:31 AM Post #93,112 of 106,676

Looking for a beefy high-performance IEM cable under $200? I've just evaluated four great new choices, which you're invited to read here. :smile:

Includes NiceHCK DragonScale • Penon ASOS • NiceHCK FirstTouch • Simgot LC7 full reviews.

Jan 16, 2024 at 2:37 AM Post #93,113 of 106,676
Do you want to be a proud and exclusive owner of a limited edition KZ (CCA) pokemon?

Supposedly, there are only 100 of this pokemon in the wild. And it is a 3DD pokemon with the usual crowbarred 4 tuning switches.

Also, it is purportedly claimed to be a LEGENDARY rare pokemon.

Can you imagine all the jealous glances from audiophiles when you bring this rare KZ pokemon to audio meets or even to Can Jam? Well, unfortunately the bragging rights might only last a week or so, cause a Pro version of this pokemon might appear next week.

419773983_408110741569208_3834897507070509509_n.jpg

https://www.kztws.com/products/cca-legendary-3dd-iem

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 2:55 AM Post #93,114 of 106,676
Do you want to be a proud and exclusive owner of a limited edition KZ (CCA) pokemon?

Supposedly, there are only 100 of this pokemon in the wild. And it is a 3DD pokemon with the usual crowbarred 4 tuning switches.

Also, it is purportedly claimed to be a LEGENDARY rare pokemon. Well, at least until a Pro version of it comes out next week.

i was about to bought rhapsody as it finally available locally.

"Legendary" might refer to Legendary DD used in CXS and some others. but KZ have new gen DD that recently used in ZSN2, so not sure which will be used
"High freq frequency division" might refer to dedicated treble DD.
"Diversified tuning" might refer to thesaurus for adjustable tuning or maybe an entirely new tuning for KZ/CCA

anyhow its $30 for early batch of 100 iems.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 3:05 AM Post #93,115 of 106,676
i was about to bought rhapsody as it finally available locally.

"Legendary" might refer to Legendary DD used in CXS and some others. but KZ have new gen DD that recently used in ZSN2, so not sure which will be used
"High freq frequency division" might refer to dedicated treble DD.
"Diversified tuning" might refer to thesaurus for adjustable tuning or maybe an entirely new tuning for KZ/CCA

anyhow its $30 for early batch of 100 iems.

If KZ claims every weekly release is "LEGENDARY", then how can next week's release be another "LEGEND"? That's an oxymoron?

Anyways, Rhapsody is quite nice tonally and timbrally, but the technicalities and resolution are sub-par. Personally, there are other sets at similar price point that can do well in all departments, so it is kind of a one-trick pony. I personally find it overrated, but YMMV.

Jan 16, 2024 at 3:14 AM Post #93,116 of 106,676
If KZ claims every weekly release is "LEGENDARY", then how can next week's release be another "LEGEND"? That's an oxymoron?

Anyways, Rhapsody is quite nice tonally and timbrally, but the technicalities and resolution are sub-par. Personally, there are other sets at similar price point that can do well in all departments, so it is kind of a one-trick pony. I personally find it overrated, but YMMV.
any rec for IEMs in that price range?
i was going for Rhapsody because it feels like an upgrade for KZ Castor-Bass and i was looking for hybrids after buying mostly single DD and planar recently.

Jan 16, 2024 at 3:16 AM Post #93,117 of 106,676
any rec for IEMs in that price range?
i was going for Rhapsody because it feels like an upgrade for KZ Castor-Bass and i was looking for hybrids after buying mostly single DD and planar recently.

The 7Hz Sonus is a more balanced hybrid, better technicalities and tighter cleaner bass (though with thinner note weight and less natural timbre).

But considering what you already own, actually no point getting the Rhapsody. You probably have something higher end in your collection, so no point collecting more budget sidegrades that are forgotten a few weeks later. Best save your money and keep it for a true upgrade later.

Jan 16, 2024 at 3:46 AM Post #93,118 of 106,676
Rhapsody is not bad, but not the gigant killer anyhow.
Kind a hype of a week.

Jan 16, 2024 at 3:58 AM Post #93,119 of 106,676
Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 4:04 AM Post #93,120 of 106,676

Also, it is purportedly claimed to be a LEGENDARY rare pokemon.

Can you imagine all the jealous glances from audiophiles when you bring this rare KZ pokemon to audio meets or even to Can Jam? Well, unfortunately the bragging rights might only last a week or so, cause a Pro version of this pokemon might appear next week.

419773983_408110741569208_3834897507070509509_n.jpg

Since it's going to be legendary, we shall be able to compare these with 10000$ IEM(if there any is, QDC Blue Dragon or something I guess?), and these legendary one's will come out as a winner?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back