The discovery thread!
Jan 14, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #93,046 of 106,566
To the DAP users here.. do you mainly use your DAP with local audio files or with streaming services?

Last week, the Tempotec V3 DAP was delivered and I knew right away that it was not for me as a Tidal user. It's definitely meant to be used with local files and the included Tidal app seems like it was more of an afterthought.

Here are a couple things that stuck out right away:
  • The included Tidal app requires you to log in each time. When you launch the Tidal app, it gives you a QR code that you have to scan with your phone and log in from the phone. Annoying.
  • The included Tidal app only lets you listen to official Tidal playlists or use the search function if you want to listen to a specific track. You can't listen to any of your personalized playlists. Even more annoying.
Ok, so the OS sucks for streaming with Tidal. Why not use it more like a Bluetooth device à la FiiO BTR7 and have your phone be the audio source? Well, that worked out better since the native Tidal app on my phone is actually functional, BUT there's a very noticeable delay with audio/video sync using the V3 with Bluetooth. It's not that big a deal when listening to music, but it's pretty bad if you want to watch a YouTube video from one of your favorite head-fi reviewers. Btw, the BTR7 does not have this audio/video sync issue.

The final straw was when I left it unused for a couple days and when I powered it back on, it prompted me to choose a Language. I thought that was odd and then I noticed that the clock on the V3 was the default 24hr format when I had changed it to the 12hr format. (I know, I know. Stupid non-military Americans don't understand the 24h format.) Next thing I noticed was that it wasn't connected to WiFi or Bluetooth. Apparently, it had set itself back to factory settings because it knew I was going to return it.

Welp, it's boxed up and going to be sent back tomorrow. It's disappointing because it sounded great and had plenty of power. The OS was also quick and responsive, and the form factor was about the size of a deck of cards so it wasn't a gigantic brick. I'm sure local audio file users would be happy with the Tempotec V3, but it's definitely not for Tidal streamers like me.
Local files only.

Couldn't care less for streaming services

Jan 14, 2024 at 8:57 PM Post #93,047 of 106,566
To the DAP users here.. do you mainly use your DAP with local audio files or with streaming services?

Last week, the Tempotec V3 DAP was delivered and I knew right away that it was not for me as a Tidal user. It's definitely meant to be used with local files and the included Tidal app seems like it was more of an afterthought.

• The included Tidal app requires you to log in each time. When you launch the Tidal app, it gives you a QR code that you have to scan with your phone and log in from the phone. Annoying.
  • The included Tidal app only lets you listen to official Tidal playlists or use the search function if you want to listen to a specific track. You can't listen to any of your personalized playlists. Even more annoying.
Ok, so the OS sucks for streaming with Tidal. Why not use it more like a Bluetooth device à la FiiO BTR7 and have your phone be the audio source? Well, that worked out better since the native Tidal app on my phone is actually functional, BUT there's a very noticeable delay with audio/video sync using the V3 with Bluetooth. It's not that big a deal when listening to music, but it's pretty bad if you want to watch a YouTube video from one of your favorite head-fi reviewers. Btw, the BTR7 does not have this audio/video sync issue.

The final straw was when I left it unused for a couple days and when I powered it back on, it prompted me to choose a Language. I thought that was odd and then I noticed that the clock on the V3 was the default 24hr format when I had changed it to the 12hr format. (I know, I know. Stupid non-military Americans don't understand the 24h format.) Next thing I noticed was that it wasn't connected to WiFi or Bluetooth. Apparently, it had set itself back to factory settings because it knew I was going to return it.

Welp, it's boxed up and going to be sent back tomorrow. It's disappointing because it sounded great and had plenty of power. The OS was also quick and responsive, and the form factor was about the size of a deck of cards so it wasn't a gigantic brick. I'm sure local audio file users would be happy with the Tempotec V3, but it's definitely not for Tidal streamers like me.
Local files mostly. My dx300 has apple music and tidals for music discovery and for offline listening of albums that I haven’t bought or “acquired”. The R3 II is strictly for offline music. Wifi kills battery of this device quickly, and the user experience is no good anyway. Afaik, Hiby has been working on getting spotify into Hiby OS.

My EDC setup: R3II with background music albums + Aful P8. Notice the 3.5mm cable. I use the same IEM for zoom call on laptop as well.

B3DE6BF9-D6CE-4587-A3B9-D5DB3D9A0ADB.jpeg

If you stream only and you want don’t mind using your phone as source, but don’t want dongle either, it’s better to stick to FiiO BTR7. All DAPs I have tried have noticeable bluetooth delay with AAC and even APTX in some cases. Some DAPs even have delay when wired using USB.

Jan 14, 2024 at 9:06 PM Post #93,048 of 106,566
Overall signature would be harmonious with a slightly dark tilt. Comes in a 4 x 4 box, and it isn’t branded or labeled. Just has a nice little case and a reasonable cable, that lo
Pula.jpg
oks great. The cable is a little stiff, but not bad, just say that it does feel a little cheap feeling and stiff, it is beautiful and a nice iem. The technicalities aren’t great, but the vocals are pretty solid and enjoyable. The fit is amazing. While maybe not better than other 200 benchmarks for me like the Quintet, Aful 5, and the Unicorn Choppin, it’s still very good and an easy recommendation and a clear 5 star, and the only 5 star I’ve given under 200 dollars… so far. It’s just nice, not just for the price but overall just delightful.This iem is great on instrumentals and classic music and has a strong tonal balance. Female vocals are a bit too sweet and unnatural. Male vocals could be a little stronger but the bass response is great and the quality is very strong.
This is a 170 dollar set that doesn't disappoint. a step above the Magic one in the quality of the bass and above the Nova in everything but the bass, If you have that 150 dollars and want to know what to buy and can’t stretch… this is a strong set, that I don’t think you’ll be disappointed by. I have a YouTube video on my channel if anyone wants to check it out, I’d appreciate the subs, likes, and comments.

Jan 14, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #93,049 of 106,566
Hi all,
I started this hobby in January 2023 and since I read really a lot of reviews and did a lot of research ( and listening of course ). Also I had to find out what I like, and I did.
Please take a look at my signature, every item (except the PSB M4U I bought in 2013 and still is one of my best headphones) I bought, listened and sold is from January 2023 and onwards.
Somewhere down the line I saw a guys advice it was better to buy a expensive (endgame) IEM than spending your money on a lot of cheapl ones. I don’t know, I like to listen to different IEM’s based on my mood. Also comparing them. To date the Sennheiser IE200 is the IEM I most enjoy followed by the Hidizs MP145 and Penta P50 ( also the three most expensive ones ). I want to step it up a little. Maybe between 200,- and 300,- but I can’t figure out what to buy. One review says the Blessing 3 are perfect and than another reciew says they are not. One review says the IE300 sound amazing while another review states the IE200 are better than the other one…And don’t let me get started of people’s opinion about Shure…I am a bit treble sensitive so I think a little warmer sounding IEM is the best for me. I notice that instead of listening to the music I mostly am analyzing how the IEM performs and sounds sometimes not remembering what I listened to 😊 Fun thing, I also listen to music I don’t really like (jazz, classical, reggae ).
I mostly enjoy 80’s pop and rock.
You guys have any advice to give me? I think I read every reviews of IEM’s sold on AE, Linsoul and Amazon.
Your help will be appreciated!
I know lots of people have already chimed in on this, but I really enjoy the Hisenior T4s for a slightly more laid-back approach to tuning without many sacrifices. The one downside to the IEM could be that is all BA, which means the bass won't be thunderous like a similarly tuned DD IEM. This honestly isn't an issue for me, I enjoy my pair tremendously. The Thieaudio Hype 2 is also a solid pick for around $300. The Oriveti stuff is gaining lots of traction as well, but I haven't heard them so I can't speak on their quality. Whatever you pick, spend some time on the decision. It's an important choice you're making, make sure it's the right one. There's no rush! Happy listening :)

Jan 14, 2024 at 9:17 PM Post #93,050 of 106,566
Local files mostly. My dx300 has apple music and tidals for music discovery and for offline listening of albums that I haven’t bought or “acquired”.

I have many friends on the Internet who share their music with me. But my buddies 🏴‍☠️ prefer to remain anonymous...

Jan 14, 2024 at 9:28 PM Post #93,052 of 106,566
I have many friends on the Internet who share their music with me. But my buddies 🏴‍☠️ prefer to remain anonymous...
Ever since I started buying music, I’m glad that I can’t hear a difference between CD quality and high-res, since the high-res are shockingly expensive :dt880smile:

Jan 14, 2024 at 9:32 PM Post #93,053 of 106,566
Jan 14, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #93,054 of 106,566
Local files mostly. My dx300 has apple music and tidals for music discovery and for offline listening of albums that I haven’t bought or “acquired”. The R3 II is strictly for offline music. Wifi kills battery of this device quickly, and the user experience is no good anyway. Afaik, Hiby has been working on getting spotify into Hiby OS.

My EDC setup: R3II with background music albums + Aful P8. Notice the 3.5mm cable. I use the same IEM for zoom call on laptop as well.

B3DE6BF9-D6CE-4587-A3B9-D5DB3D9A0ADB.jpeg

If you stream only and you want don’t mind using your phone as source, but don’t want dongle either, it’s better to stick to FiiO BTR7. All DAPs I have tried have noticeable bluetooth delay with AAC and even APTX in some cases. Some DAPs even have delay when wired using USB.
Thanks, you just saved me a lot of time and money! I'll stick with the BTR7 since I'm using it with LDAC and there's no audio/video delay.

I've ripped CDs into MP3 and FLAC. I've purchased music from iTunes and Bandcamp. I've even sailed the seven seas with the 🏴‍☠️ flag. I just haven't come across any software where I can easily customize playlists that are accessible from any device and discover new music at the same time. This is where the streaming services have the advantage.

If I'm missing something please let me know because the monthly Tidal fees could go towards moar gear!

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #93,056 of 106,566
PULA PA02 Review posted.
Been wondering about this one as I keep seeing it mentioned lately.

Jan 14, 2024 at 11:46 PM Post #93,057 of 106,566
Jan 15, 2024 at 12:08 AM Post #93,058 of 106,566

I use my HiBy R6 III for both streaming 70% Local about 4000 files. I also have the Tempotec V6 with which I do the same. The HiBy is 4Gig of RAM and is much faster and better in so many ways. I also use UAPP.

Jan 15, 2024 at 12:10 AM Post #93,059 of 106,566

That's a bummer, sorry. I like to use a mix of streaming and my own files. Streaming is just super convenient, but having your own files can be convenient too. The low-ish cost of storage for your music relative to the space it takes up makes it worthwhile to keep imo, and not too much of a hassle to just drag-and-drop to whatever device you want it on(and there are even easier methods). But streaming is like being the kid in the candy shop - except your mom isn't around to stop you from pacmaning everything.

I'm actually in the market for a new Android dap, if anyone has any ideas. I'm tired of my Fiio M15. I've had an M15 for years, but the specific unit I have now is almost new since Fiio replaced my previous unit which they failed to repair. Because of that, my M15 is still "fine" and with a fresh battery, so I don't neeeeed a new dap per se lol. But I would like something smaller, as the M15 is already big enough that it deters me from using it in certain situations. Leaning towards the A&K SR35. Not really interested in the Shanling M3 Ultra. I have almost bought several different daps recently but there is always something that makes me hesitate.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 12:25 AM Post #93,060 of 106,566
azla xelastec. You should opt for one size smaller since these are large.

Dunu S&S are also a candidate.
Thanks. Will try these when I get the iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back