The discovery thread!
Nov 25, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #89,626 of 106,788
Nov 25, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #89,627 of 106,788
What sources do you use currently at home and on-the-go?

Personally, I think these sound demo stuff are not a true gauge of how an IEM will sound in real life.

They are perhaps somewhat useful to compare tonality within the same video amongst two transducers - so you can roughly tell IEM A may be brighter than IEM B or bassier etc.

But as you pointed out, the end user is going to be using a different transducer, amp, DAC, eartip etc while listening to these sound demos, which will surely skew the sound demo. There are so many variables in the final chain that may be coloured or less technical than the sound demo.

Same for some nihilistic folks who EQ an IEM to a graph of a new IEM and review it based on the EQed profile. Yes you can roughly tell the tonality with the new EQ, but not everything can be gleaned from the graph.

If EQ can solve all ills, why not just buy a dollar shop IEM and EQ it to a TOTL IEM and call it a day?
Actually tested the BLON 03 to sound like Tanchjim Oxy or HD600 by EQ. Nope, it don't really work at all.

Nov 25, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #89,628 of 106,788
Oh wow.. censorship at its finest.. I apologize to whom it may concern, and RENATA is The Best Cable Ever! 😉
Until the next one……😂

Nov 25, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #89,629 of 106,788
What why were those comments removed? that is insanely whack and not the kind of community I thought this was. I knew we had shills in here, but not the extent they can influence random comments to be censored like this?

Not the kind of people I would want promoting my brand, im just saying...

Nov 25, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #89,630 of 106,788
Not the first time comments about Penon has been removed...

Its actions like this that makes people less likely to buy Penon products, even if they sound good.

Nov 25, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #89,631 of 106,788
@Penon this is not the way to do business. check your people.

Nov 25, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #89,633 of 106,788
I think I only saw one of the deleted comments, but it's basically calling out @Redcarmoose as being a shill. In my opinion, stuff like that deserves to be removed and it's not just because it's Penon-related. If you go back a few pages when this started, those comments calling him out in a lesser way are not removed.

I know the wall of text Penon spam can be a bit much in here and in my opinion, should be relegated to the Penon thread, but attacks on posters should not be allowed. I've been guilty of doing this in the past and have also had my comments removed, same with the people that attacked me. And we've been banned from this thread for a week on top of it.

If you have a problem with users being shills, spamming, or trolling, then block them, don't attack them. I've blocked several people in here and in other threads. It's made my head-fi experience so much better.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #89,634 of 106,788
What sources do you use currently at home and on-the-go?

Personally, I think these sound demo stuff are not a true gauge of how an IEM will sound in real life.

They are perhaps somewhat useful to compare tonality within the same video amongst two transducers - so you can roughly tell IEM A may be brighter than IEM B or bassier etc.

But as you pointed out, the end user is going to be using a different transducer, amp, DAC, eartip etc while listening to these sound demos, which will surely skew the sound demo. There are so many variables in the final chain that may be coloured or less technical than the sound demo.

Same for some nihilistic folks who EQ an IEM to a graph of a new IEM and review it based on the EQed profile. Yes you can roughly tell the tonality with the new EQ, but not everything can be gleaned from the graph.

If EQ can solve all ills, why not just buy a dollar shop IEM and EQ it to a TOTL IEM and call it a day?
Sorry for the delay. I use the
Aurender Flow, Dragonfly Cobalt, Earman Sparrow, Shanling UP4, and Mojo 2.

Nov 25, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #89,635 of 106,788
I think I only saw one of the deleted comments, but it's basically calling out @Redcarmoose as being a shill. In my opinion, stuff like that deserves to be removed and it's not just because it's Penon-related. If you go back a few pages when this started, those comments calling him out in a lesser way are not removed.

I know the wall of text Penon spam can be a bit much in here and in my opinion, should be relegated to the Penon thread, but attacks on posters should not be allowed. I've been guilty of doing this in the past and have also had my comments removed, same with the people that attacked me. And we've been banned from this thread for a week on top of it.
What is wrong with calling someone out on a public forum, and why does that demand comments to be removed? I am sorry but everyone is new at one point and they need to see the reality of the situation. Nothing overtly rude, mean, violent was said that needed to be censored at all. I don't agree with this take.

Nov 25, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #89,636 of 106,788
What is wrong with calling someone out on a public forum, and why does that demand comments to be removed? I am sorry but everyone is new at one point and they need to see the reality of the situation. Nothing overtly rude, mean, violent was said that needed to be censored at all. I don't agree with this take.
Because calling people out and attacking users isn't allowed on head-fi? Because mods/admins deem it unacceptable? Because it causes bad vibes and animosity? Because it derails threads, like it is doing now?

You don't have to agree with me, but I'm just sharing my experience and opinions with this issue. If you don't like it, then there are other forums like HFGF that allow people to attack companies, forums, and each other and call everyone out. Maybe try going to those forums instead. I have recently.

Nov 25, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #89,637 of 106,788
Because calling people out and attacking users isn't allowed on head-fi? Because mods/admins deem it unacceptable? Because it causes bad vibes and animosity? Because it derails threads, like it is doing now?

You don't have to agree with me, but I'm just sharing my experience and opinions with this issue. If you don't like it, then there are other forums like HFGF that allow people to attack companies, forums, and each other and call everyone out. Maybe try going to those forums instead. I have recently.
Attacking is a little much lmao come on.

Is it not part of the discovery to learn what is shady in this market? Seems on topic to me...
Leading people on to expensive purchases like its the second coming of christ doesn't bring bad vibes? Does to me.
What mods are deeming "unacceptable" here is just people having a conversation and censoring it. That is what brought the bad vibes to me.

Good idea on going somewhere else though.

Nov 25, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #89,638 of 106,788
Attacking is a little much lmao come on.

Is it not part of the discovery to learn what is shady in this market? Seems on topic to me...
Leading people on to expensive purchases like its the second coming of christ doesn't bring bad vibes? Does to me.
What mods are deeming "unacceptable" here is just people having a conversation and censoring it. That is what brought the bad vibes to me.

Good idea on going somewhere else though.
Call it what you want but to have several users say crap against a user and saying he's got to keep his Penon post counts up to keep getting free stuff from Penon is considered attacking him and unacceptable. What if a group of people called you out like that? You wouldn't feel attacked? You think that's fine?

Anyway, it seems like you're OK with users ganging up on people here. No point trying to convince you or anyone else otherwise. Have fun attacking people and getting "censored."

Nov 25, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #89,640 of 106,788
I haven’t read anyone say anything inappropriate, but let’s be honest, there’s two clear penon promotors on this forum, who are not impartial and have an incentive to push their products.

They really should be labelled as “members of the trade”, to not mislead new-comers into believing they’re something that they’re not.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back