The discovery thread!
Aug 3, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #84,331 of 103,844
I like almost everything, ThieAudio Hype2 is linsoul?
Linsoul and I have a bad history of customer support with QC issues and lost iem in shipping. Monarch MK 3 look also really interesting, and seem to have solved the things I disliked about MK 2.
I read from another reviewer that ThieAudio is Linsoul or a subpart of Linsoul. It’s a shame that you can’t buy from them. That double DD woofer setup might be very interesting to you. Hopefully you can borrow one from your circle.

I kept visiting the custom design page of Monarch III :dt880smile: The bass should be exactly the same as Hype2. The tech should be much better. We will see.

Aug 3, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #84,332 of 103,844
gyKpbThsWESMHDwGXg-YPB-KkPebOwcdGTcYJ3Ut4I-p1R-xu34DVD6gkcH9IvkldtLJ-bRHBGWSlQ4NJRt2MqNv6QI8CMzPwMl28xYFa95Qxp1We-TzUYmO5IE-Vml_jVnoTjGLM7ggPqYTB33xs5o

Symphonium Meteor

I have been having the Symphonium Meteor on loan the last few weeks, the little red Meteor.
This is a 4 BA (Balanced Armature) IEM, costing $599.

This will not be a review, more like a small impression. Also going to compare it to one of my favorite IEMs, the AüR Audio Neon Pro am 10 BA set with a slight U shaped sound signature. I am not trying to offend anyone with this, this is a set I have been hyped to buy.

Disclaimer:

This is also a very subjective hobby where everything from experience, anatomy or age will affect what we hear. Also keep in mind that it is easy to use bold words when talking about differences, while it may be perceived as a small change for you. While I can perceive something as natural sounding, I do believe we can never get a perfect performance similar to what is achieved live.

Specifications​

Driver Crossover - Custom Tuned True 3-Way Crossover with PHAT Technology
Frequency Response - 12Hz - 21kHz, ± 3 dB
Sensitivity - 111dB/Vrms @ 1 kHz
Impedance - 9.7 Ohms @ 1 kHz
Socket - Spring Loaded 0.78mm 2-Pin
Cable - 26 AWG OCC Copper
Cable Impedance - 0.18 Ohms (3.5mm). 0.17 Ohms (4.4mm)
Limited 1 - Year Warranty

https://www.symphoniumaudio.com/products/meteor

lXNTQW5rMTTxL17KxMi5vwd4qN3_8Qh9iDzRVZ3cC7ikGggwv12hDAfKY849iX--zqLOokGHO136Gzh3Dq-FwXVg9e_06nei-YKIbueO0lUFYEXAOUzIUwsOfyo5cCmAZEpmCXiHIjs3bpkNdcEZvYc

Meteor sound impression

Most of my listening has been done with the Cayin N7 DAP, I have also used my desktop setup with Topping E70 + A90 Discrete. Tips have been Kbear 07 and Spinfit.

Must admit I had a hard time with the shell and finding a good seal, they are really small in the body and the nozzle has a different angle than the rest of my IEMs. There is also no vent on the IEM, I have never had problems before this set with pressure buildup. With lots of tip rolling and some advice, I found the Spinfit model I have to provide the seal. Also cable rolled to a better cable, the stock is okay sounding. But it doesn't sit well and makes Meteor being pushed out of the ear.

The meteor is described like this:

PHYSICALLY SMALL, SONICALLY LARGE

The Meteor, simply put - sounds MASSIVE. We created the Meteor to shock you the very first second the music starts playing - extracting the speed, detail and raw energy from your music and delivering it in a fun way that keeps you on the edge of your seat. Bass so physical that you feel air pushed into your ears and basslines vibrating from the thick bass strings. Treble so extended with its cymbals sounding ethereal and textured

The Meteor’s “U-shaped” sound signature puts its bass and high treble in the spotlight, yet maintaining a sophisticated balance to form a coherent and exciting experience so that you will spend hours listening in pure fun. All this in a compact form factor well suited for music listeners with smaller ears.

Give it a go - you will not want to miss this.

IPk5QGaDZF4lGP9brIAzf15p9CxVENcPqlo1NWZy4cy4jyep0O42XsS3KHPIKDoQY8d_tSXEwxyDiu8DJED5UV8-d_vqmW-uaUK_a79L2ZCE-GhbkQSyW5sJRwA18YAJRyGb-AleEfT3lnCUvV4gP5c

For me this description is not totally correct, the mids are very recessed. And make the sound more like an extreme V shape, bass is very present and also the upper treble. They say that the bass and upper treble is in focus and that is true, when listening to cymbals as they explain it has a good sparkle.

Overall the sound is soft and veiled, with full low end. As the bass is strong and full it is wrong saying it's thin, but the mids is thin and lacks presence.

Bass is big and soft, it's not the more visceral style that most DDs have and especially the fast DDs. It digs deep and can please most bass bass lovers, for me it sounds too soft and lacks impact. This is the same type of BA bass that many have complained of is not sounding like a dynamic driver, if you're not used to better BA bass this will probably sound good. Also using the set for a long time to get your ears adjusted makes it sound better and better, but then swapping over to a good DD makes it very obvious.

Mids is veiled for me, both instruments and vocals seem way too often like it's playing behind a carpet dampening the sound. While they sound okay, it's too distant and has not enough detail going on. I use Piano music very often to listen to how realistic it sounds, especially since I am used to hearing piano in my house from both my wife playing and myself. It is hollow on most ranges of the piano, and lacks a good realistic timbre.
Strings lack detail and fullness, going to brass instruments like Sax it is hollow and lacks detail. Good thing is that aggressive trumpet playing is tamed and less piercing, same for other instruments.
Male vocals are better than female, no doubt. Male vocals sound okay on most artists just a little thick, just a few that get more nasal sounding. Almost all females lack presence, and appear quite veiled.

Treble is better than the mids, and has some good detail and treble. Not on every song out there, depends how much of the detail is in the lower treble or upper treble. The cymbal hits on drums has a nice shimmer and has that extra making it sound more real, same for other percussion instruments. I also listen to much electronica where there are sometimes electronic sounds in the upper treble. I can then hear that Meteor has very good extension up top, almost too much where some tracks get very fatigued.

Soundstage is okay, more like a studio than an avenue in size. Would call it average in depth and width, it's also very circular. Imaging is very spot on.

QLqFo_e_QazMzdDfZBqiHnJAgCB4ItglhjOH_fXy2gA9gMwt0TKYcdBRa_aHlaRlP6_ho1iCg6fqYtNvOcFuVGBouxEcXrVpPzfLHZ1j9z-ZYaOMuyLPEG5_Xh6Qy2-RlqfZU41Qryk6Gf1KIoCncEA

Meteor vs Neon pro

First off this is not to trash Meteor, I wanted to try Meteor as I have heard so much praise. I love my Neon Pro and have it as a reference IEM, hoping for Meteor to be good as I love the design and wanted another all BA IEM. Using Neon Pro with switch ON as it makes the low end very similar in amount, the mids get then impacted slightly on some vocals.

Neon Pro is also not vented but the shell is larger so I never get any pressure build-up.

I will keep it short on this part, as it's in a different league and is not fair.

Bass is faster, more visceral. Not soft and actually sound close to a DD, resolution is high level above. Especially when listening to double bass playing with lots of resonances going on in the bass range. Drum kicks are as it should, not soft thuds like on Meteor.

Mids is leagues above, crystal clear sound on NP. Male vocals similar to Meteor is a little thicker sounding due to bass, but is more present and clear with more detail. Females have much more presence and are not veiled, even with the tuning switch on and gets even better with it off.
All instruments have more resolution, piano sounds real and true to life. Drums have a better impact and are actually present in the music. String and wind instruments, doesn't matter what instrument its clear and forward.

Treble is also super detailed with NP, even with the boosted upper air spike on Meteor the Neon Pro has more realistic air and shimmer. Super clear treble on acoustic and electronic music, and don't have that same fatiguing tendency.

Soundstage is very personal, Neon Pro has almost the largest stage and separation I have tried. Wider and deeper than Meteor, imaging also spot on perfect.

znw2pMn5soB5kCdU7urzFRBmVPPS_dRUAFXgMk3qyVNoSOeHcMnS6IUvWDLqck4MWTtRoGudKnrIPmxPRKcFsUSgCPi6vRReM5zCjqyB5O4Yf-XOLqx8ErSaviF5jTOBdsTl5QQ-T8haycb_jWlT2ek

mmHQMniv6sCP5vE3TXvE73-Qjmh2ZY4Air8SO_HTZfjMqmP-sFCBNGBHyY5OPDtrb8xRTfmbq6NEbcLPgrEBzFP5lAKG0JotNfAyymP_71Z-g4IdPOKn-fGLtwSLpUQJFYXczve_cXPfPlw1667chAU

FEdiO--WW2gnvFlbMJqMUMoFoJ-S9Wg7Tue8iNIvjusQmLh1z1DXXmkDhbxEV6i9hZCUu_Sgvd720sf3s_p9IKf1pEwpS9n0IVTbNpbOh3MMWHxhq1D9KXXIJTfWf73XTd3sOBuATNmgTCWq6tu9OIk

Conclusion

This is not the set for me, that is quite clear. I almost wish there was something wrong with the Meteor, I also got my wife with her petite ears to try it. She did say they were cute and small with nice ergonomics, but at first listen she also said the same, it was veiled and almost no detail in the music.

Had to ask a friend who also has many IEMs, and full BA sets. He demoed the Meteor at Zeppelin, first words this is totally not worth it. Unnatural, veiled and like listening from another room instead of in front of speakers

I am not sure what to say really, I have big problems understanding the $600 price. I have liked many BA sets before this (Bravery, SA6, RSV and Neon Pro).
Maybe it's good for intense music to relax it down, or this is just a tuning type some like.

Agree with your findings bro. Soundstage is average, and I also found it veiled. Though sub-bass extension is very decent for a pure BA setup. This was on moderate volumes.

I do think it is overpriced yes. Most of these boutique brands cannot compete with CHIFI in pricing TBH.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #84,333 of 103,844
We’ve all got our preferences and enjoyments. I lean way more toward liking the Meteor but, I’m also not the biggest fan of more resolving sets and also prefer the extra midbass emphasis on Meteor for my funk and reggae library. It also seems to be more forgiving of a lot of the older poorly recorded punk I like.

Thanks for the use of my database for your comparison. Nice to see it gaining some traction with established reviewers.
Love your Database, also very nice to see how your circle help you fill it up. Agree funk and reggae need some great low end with not thin mid bass :100:

I love more energy than many people, unless its focused in my ear gain problem zone.

Aug 3, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #84,334 of 103,844
I read from another reviewer that ThieAudio is Linsoul or a subpart of Linsoul. It’s a shame that you can’t buy from them. That double DD woofer setup might be very interesting to you. Hopefully you can borrow one from your circle.

I kept visiting the custom design page of Monarch III :dt880smile: The bass should be exactly the same as Hype2. The tech should be much better. We will see.

You already preorder that in mind, just you haven't pay yet. Mark my words 😁

Aug 3, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #84,335 of 103,844
Imagine thinking an IEM's relevance or staying power is determined by people "recc'ing" them in this thread. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
It's a pretty good indication to be completely honest.

Aug 3, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #84,336 of 103,844
Kiwi Ears dropped their planned planar iem? not on their website anymore.
1691051051982.png

Aug 3, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #84,337 of 103,844
EARNiNE en2j Smokes this pos trailer trash. lol

While no price is listed on the product page on hifigo if you search it, a price shows up in the search results. Don't know if placeholder price, but since it is a weird price like 1399$USD instead of the typical 999 or 9999 I am thinking that that might be the real price somehow... ...
Screenshot from 2023-08-03 10-19-11.png

Aug 3, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #84,338 of 103,844
Aug 3, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #84,339 of 103,844
greetings, would love advice what iem to get up to 200 usd, every few months I like to see how chifi can come closer to totl iem that are crazy priced

so any recs, so anything out there up to 200 usd that could surprise me

Aug 3, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #84,340 of 103,844
This is a very serious question for today's counselling session of AUDIOPHILES ANONYMOUS DETOX PROGRAM.

How much have you spent cumulatively in this bottomless audio rabbithole?

We promise to keep it 100% confidential, and will ensure that your family, customs and the tax man does not know.

2.jpg

greetings, would love advice what iem to get up to 200 usd, every few months I like to see how chifi can come closer to totl iem that are crazy priced

so any recs, so anything out there up to 200 usd that could surprise me

Maybe if you could answer these questions, it can finetune the suggestions from the community better:
1) What music genres do you listen to?
2) Are you basshead, treblehead, treblesensitive etc?
3) What source are you using?

Aug 3, 2023 at 4:51 AM Post #84,341 of 103,844
This is a very serious question for today's counselling session of AUDIOPHILES ANONYMOUS DETOX PROGRAM.

We promise to keep it 100% confidential, and will ensure that your family, customs and the tax man does not know.

Maybe if you could answer these questions, it can finetune the suggestions from the community better:

It is with some concern I notice that the storage system illustrated for audiophiles, only contains space for twenty pairs of IEMs! Is this an effort to conceal the true scope of the problem from significant others? :thinking:

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 4:52 AM Post #84,342 of 103,844
You shouldn’t push to painfully loud. Just to the point when upper midrange / female vocal is right rather than stopping when the bass gets loud. This IEM is less sensitive than others, but I don’t think it “scale” that much. No problem with the tiny amp inside UTWS5.

image.jpg

Thanks for testing in more detailed, mate! I’m curious how the ThieAudio Hype2 would do for you. Hopefully you can get your hands on that one soon. Very traditional presentation comparing to the L-shape of Meteor.
Don't you feel that the UTWS5 lacks in power retrieved to the iem, but for low impedance iems, or just the easy ones to move, its works perfectly?

Aug 3, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #84,343 of 103,844

i listen to all genres except classical

i like more of a W sound, which means vocals should not be recessed

cayin n7 is my source

i have and had quit alot of totl iems as seen in the bout me page on profile

but honestly i think those prices are not warranted at all, that is why every now and then I like to see where chifi stands in comparison

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 5:22 AM Post #84,344 of 103,844
I like almost everything so it would probably up my alley, ThieAudio Hype2 is linsoul?
Linsoul and I have a bad history of customer support with QC issues and lost iem in shipping. Monarch MK 3 look also really interesting, and seem to have solved the things I disliked about MK 2.
I wonder if EJ07M is on par with Monarch MK.II despite that its a cheaper one.

Aug 3, 2023 at 5:27 AM Post #84,345 of 103,844

1. I listen to almost type of music genres especially Metal, Rock, Ska, 2-tone, old school Hip-hop, Classical either Opera or Orchestral ensemble and Synth-pop except for modern Hip-hop and K-pop.
2. Midcentric, Neutralhead
3. LG Phones, DAPs and Dongles, all offline or CD-ripped lossless tracks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back