The discovery thread!
Aug 2, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #84,271 of 103,919
I thought you meant the single dynamic drive model. I remember my friend turning on the bass button on the amp because the bass just wasn't enough for him. then i sold it to someone and he said it was no better than his fiio fd 5. The kylin series has similar issues with treble, he10 also fixed it a bit but not as textured treble as needed.

hey, anyone have any tws recommendations? I was thinking about momentum, but when I found out that tws don't last long, I think it's unnecessary to spend that much money. I have lenovo's ridiculous tws and a moondrop space travel that I ordered to review. I mean, I have mediocre models, I'm looking for something medium. it can be any product of any brand, with the exception of fiio and strange kz. connection features are not so important for me, ldac and above average sound are enough
There new soundcore liberty 4 NC around 100$ and people praised it a lot

Aug 2, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #84,272 of 103,919
what source are you using it with? source he01b doesn't affect much but I wanted to ask anyway. I feel like they are forcing the artist to say it. and I'm sure of it, I've tried this model a lot. highs are far from sparkle.

looking at the reviews i had high expectations for he01b.
The steam deck, playing CHORVS (btw impressive game with really nice OST)

MVIMG_20230802_175003-01.jpeg

or the K9pro AKM via HQplayer.

Pick your favourite...🙃

Aug 2, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #84,273 of 103,919
Aug 2, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #84,274 of 103,919
Are they good to lower peaky highs IEM?
Hm, I'll try when I get back to my collection. You mean peaky in that sibilance region?

Aug 2, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #84,275 of 103,919
AüR Audio Aurora is slowly but surely becoming my favourite pair. It's still nowhere near the recommended burn-in of 100h, but certain qualities are already well formed.

Quick thoughts:

• Bass quality is the standout feature with each note carrying tremendous authority while staying precise.
• Both male and female vocals have a very natural timbre and never get lost in the mix.
• String instruments sound present and realistic. Love guitars and violins on it.
• Treble is precise and smooth with zero sibilance and sufficient extension.

I'll do a thorough 'review' once the time comes. Till then, enjoy this view of Aurora at Lake Jasna, Slovenia.

20230802_084246.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #84,276 of 103,919
Let me just say: Wow!
Turbo is much more versatile than I thought it would be.
I really am digging these!
0802231331.jpg

Aug 2, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #84,277 of 103,919
Edit: double post

Aug 2, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #84,278 of 103,919
AüR Audio Aurora is slowly but surely becoming my favourite pair. It's still nowhere near the recommended burn-in of 100h, but certain qualities are already well formed.

Quick thoughts:

• Bass quality is the standout feature with each note carrying tremendous authority while staying precise.
• Both male and female vocals have a very natural timbre and never get lost in the mix.
• String instruments sound present and realistic. Love guitars and violins on it.
• Treble is precise and smooth with zero sibilance and sufficient extension.

I'll do a thorough 'review' once the time comes. Till then, enjoy this view of Aurora at Lake Jasna, Slovenia.

Lovely photo man! Glad you're enjoying your Aurora. People should keep track of how much they like it via an excel spreadsheet or something, because I bet it'd be interesting to see that enjoyment factor moving up every week.

I got my EPZ 530! In green. I haven't listened to it a ton yet but it sounds pretty classy, like Akros said. The look, build, and overall package is pretty damn classy too. Really nice cable, nice case(two of them actually but one is just a pouch), a wooden box you can reuse for whatever. I guess you could consider it a third case haha. I like the way Aur does things in that you just get the bare minimum basically, but I do like a nice(and interesting) case and a modular cable. I could live without the wooden box and nicer packaging. Regardless of that, the EPZ 530 seems pretty damn high on the value scale.

Here's a pic along with the Toneking Lucifer, which is also has an all wood build:
20230802_153803.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #84,279 of 103,919
Hm, I'll try when I get back to my collection. You mean peaky in that sibilance region?
Peaky in the sub bass and upper midrange.
I wish to have tips that help with that and still being comfortable for long use.
I have the H570 and while they help with the above mentioned, they hard to listen with for long time.

Aug 2, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #84,280 of 103,919
Peaky in the sub bass and upper midrange.
I wish to have tips that help with that and still being comfortable for long use.
I have the H570 and while they help with the above mentioned, they hard to listen with for long time.

Peaky sub bass? How do you perceive that and what does it sound like?

Aug 2, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #84,282 of 103,919
The best that's out there atm (in my opinion) is the Huawei Freebuds Pro 2. Amazing sound quality for a TWS that actually competes wit IEM of the same price, solid ANC and most of the premium TWS features are present. That said their battery life is somewhat limited at 6,5h thanks to their form factor and being a DD+Planar hybrid. If you want to use either LDAC/HWA(LHDC) or ANC, it drops to about 4h and with both on 2,5h is about the best you can expect. They have been around for about a year so should be available under their €200 msrp. They are absolutely worth the price but they're not intended for long listening sessions if you ask me thanks to the battery life.

If good is enough, the SoundPeats H1 is another solid option. While they are older than the freebuds pro 2, they are still a competitive TWS for the price with a great sound signature and a whopping 12hr battery life (they claim 10h) and they can actually reach up to 15h at times. But you do lose some conveniences like auto pause and ANC. Nor does it have LDAC, Aptx adaptive (which includes Aptx HD) is the best it'll do.

I don't have any newer TWS as the Freebuds Pro 2 stopped me from looking any further into them. So I don't have any info on more recent TWS.
I'm kind of interested in the new Moondrop Space Travel though and there are rumors of the Huawei Freebuds Pro 3 coming in September.
nice information thank you. 2.5 or 4 hours is a bad time for charging, so I can eliminate the huawei. I'm adding the second recommendation to my list right away, I've heard of the sp brand. For me, features like active noise canceling mean nothing, I focus on sound and comfort. The charging features of the h 1 are good, for me the only feature of the tws is to get rid of the cable problem. Using the wired models in the evening is a bad experience for me. I tried bluetooth converters that plug into in-ear headphones, but they didn't seem practical either. I'm looking for a model that I won't be upset if I break it, so €250 was too much for momentum. It is my first choice not to exceed the 100-110 band. There are so many tws in the market that the sector is no different from the hype train. thank you for the advice
There new soundcore liberty 4 NC around 100$ and people praised it a lot
I added it to the list, thanks for the advice.

The steam deck, playing CHORVS (btw impressive game with really nice OST)

MVIMG_20230802_175003-01.jpeg

or the K9pro AKM via HQplayer.

Pick your favourite...🙃
i tried again to see if i remember wrong, yes they are boring. there are times when I just want to order one for the cable. haha

Aug 2, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #84,283 of 103,919
nice information thank you. 2.5 or 4 hours is a bad time for charging, so I can eliminate the huawei. I'm adding the second recommendation to my list right away, I've heard of the sp brand. For me, features like active noise canceling mean nothing, I focus on sound and comfort. The charging features of the h 1 are good, for me the only feature of the tws is to get rid of the cable problem. Using the wired models in the evening is a bad experience for me. I tried bluetooth converters that plug into in-ear headphones, but they didn't seem practical either. I'm looking for a model that I won't be upset if I break it, so €250 was too much for momentum. It is my first choice not to exceed the 100-110 band. There are so many tws in the market that the sector is no different from the hype train. thank you for the advice

i tried again to see if i remember wrong, yes they are boring. there are times when I just want to order one for the cable. haha
You might like to consider the Campfire Audio Orbit. Very nice SQ and good battery life.

Aug 2, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #84,284 of 103,919

Just giving my 2 ct: Sound quality wise the Huawei Freebuds Pro 2 are my personal #1. Followed by the Devialet Gemini.
If you want a beater set below 60€ with a sexy as hell frequency response graph I recommend the Baseus Bowie EX. They don't match the Huawei quality drivers but they sound great for their price. Look at these curves :heart_eyes: Well tuned
1691012298280.png

Aug 2, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #84,285 of 103,919
gyKpbThsWESMHDwGXg-YPB-KkPebOwcdGTcYJ3Ut4I-p1R-xu34DVD6gkcH9IvkldtLJ-bRHBGWSlQ4NJRt2MqNv6QI8CMzPwMl28xYFa95Qxp1We-TzUYmO5IE-Vml_jVnoTjGLM7ggPqYTB33xs5o

Symphonium Meteor

I have been having the Symphonium Meteor on loan the last few weeks, the little red Meteor.
This is a 4 BA (Balanced Armature) IEM, costing $599.

This will not be a review, more like a small impression. Also going to compare it to one of my favorite IEMs, the AüR Audio Neon Pro am 10 BA set with a slight U shaped sound signature. I am not trying to offend anyone with this, this is a set I have been hyped to buy.

Disclaimer:

This is also a very subjective hobby where everything from experience, anatomy or age will affect what we hear. Also keep in mind that it is easy to use bold words when talking about differences, while it may be perceived as a small change for you. While I can perceive something as natural sounding, I do believe we can never get a perfect performance similar to what is achieved live.

Specifications​

Driver Crossover - Custom Tuned True 3-Way Crossover with PHAT Technology
Frequency Response - 12Hz - 21kHz, ± 3 dB
Sensitivity - 111dB/Vrms @ 1 kHz
Impedance - 9.7 Ohms @ 1 kHz
Socket - Spring Loaded 0.78mm 2-Pin
Cable - 26 AWG OCC Copper
Cable Impedance - 0.18 Ohms (3.5mm). 0.17 Ohms (4.4mm)
Limited 1 - Year Warranty

https://www.symphoniumaudio.com/products/meteor

lXNTQW5rMTTxL17KxMi5vwd4qN3_8Qh9iDzRVZ3cC7ikGggwv12hDAfKY849iX--zqLOokGHO136Gzh3Dq-FwXVg9e_06nei-YKIbueO0lUFYEXAOUzIUwsOfyo5cCmAZEpmCXiHIjs3bpkNdcEZvYc

Meteor sound impression

Most of my listening has been done with the Cayin N7 DAP, I have also used my desktop setup with Topping E70 + A90 Discrete. Tips have been Kbear 07 and Spinfit.

Must admit I had a hard time with the shell and finding a good seal, they are really small in the body and the nozzle has a different angle than the rest of my IEMs. There is also no vent on the IEM, I have never had problems before this set with pressure buildup. With lots of tip rolling and some advice, I found the Spinfit model I have to provide the seal. Also cable rolled to a better cable, the stock is okay sounding. But it doesn't sit well and makes Meteor being pushed out of the ear.

The meteor is described like this:

PHYSICALLY SMALL, SONICALLY LARGE

The Meteor, simply put - sounds MASSIVE. We created the Meteor to shock you the very first second the music starts playing - extracting the speed, detail and raw energy from your music and delivering it in a fun way that keeps you on the edge of your seat. Bass so physical that you feel air pushed into your ears and basslines vibrating from the thick bass strings. Treble so extended with its cymbals sounding ethereal and textured

The Meteor’s “U-shaped” sound signature puts its bass and high treble in the spotlight, yet maintaining a sophisticated balance to form a coherent and exciting experience so that you will spend hours listening in pure fun. All this in a compact form factor well suited for music listeners with smaller ears.

Give it a go - you will not want to miss this.

IPk5QGaDZF4lGP9brIAzf15p9CxVENcPqlo1NWZy4cy4jyep0O42XsS3KHPIKDoQY8d_tSXEwxyDiu8DJED5UV8-d_vqmW-uaUK_a79L2ZCE-GhbkQSyW5sJRwA18YAJRyGb-AleEfT3lnCUvV4gP5c

For me this description is not totally correct, the mids are very recessed. And make the sound more like an extreme V shape, bass is very present and also the upper treble. They say that the bass and upper treble is in focus and that is true, when listening to cymbals as they explain it has a good sparkle.

Overall the sound is soft and veiled, with full low end. As the bass is strong and full it is wrong saying it's thin, but the mids is thin and lacks presence.

Bass is big and soft, it's not the more visceral style that most DDs have and especially the fast DDs. It digs deep and can please most bass bass lovers, for me it sounds too soft and lacks impact. This is the same type of BA bass that many have complained of is not sounding like a dynamic driver, if you're not used to better BA bass this will probably sound good. Also using the set for a long time to get your ears adjusted makes it sound better and better, but then swapping over to a good DD makes it very obvious.

Mids is veiled for me, both instruments and vocals seem way too often like it's playing behind a carpet dampening the sound. While they sound okay, it's too distant and has not enough detail going on. I use Piano music very often to listen to how realistic it sounds, especially since I am used to hearing piano in my house from both my wife playing and myself. It is hollow on most ranges of the piano, and lacks a good realistic timbre.
Strings lack detail and fullness, going to brass instruments like Sax it is hollow and lacks detail. Good thing is that aggressive trumpet playing is tamed and less piercing, same for other instruments.
Male vocals are better than female, no doubt. Male vocals sound okay on most artists just a little thick, just a few that get more nasal sounding. Almost all females lack presence, and appear quite veiled.

Treble is better than the mids, and has some good detail and treble. Not on every song out there, depends how much of the detail is in the lower treble or upper treble. The cymbal hits on drums has a nice shimmer and has that extra making it sound more real, same for other percussion instruments. I also listen to much electronica where there are sometimes electronic sounds in the upper treble. I can then hear that Meteor has very good extension up top, almost too much where some tracks get very fatigued.

Soundstage is okay, more like a studio than an avenue in size. Would call it average in depth and width, it's also very circular. Imaging is very spot on.

QLqFo_e_QazMzdDfZBqiHnJAgCB4ItglhjOH_fXy2gA9gMwt0TKYcdBRa_aHlaRlP6_ho1iCg6fqYtNvOcFuVGBouxEcXrVpPzfLHZ1j9z-ZYaOMuyLPEG5_Xh6Qy2-RlqfZU41Qryk6Gf1KIoCncEA

Meteor vs Neon pro

First off this is not to trash Meteor, I wanted to try Meteor as I have heard so much praise. I love my Neon Pro and have it as a reference IEM, hoping for Meteor to be good as I love the design and wanted another all BA IEM. Using Neon Pro with switch ON as it makes the low end very similar in amount, the mids get then impacted slightly on some vocals.

Neon Pro is also not vented but the shell is larger so I never get any pressure build-up.

I will keep it short on this part, as it's in a different league and is not fair.

Bass is faster, more visceral. Not soft and actually sound close to a DD, resolution is high level above. Especially when listening to double bass playing with lots of resonances going on in the bass range. Drum kicks are as it should, not soft thuds like on Meteor.

Mids is leagues above, crystal clear sound on NP. Male vocals similar to Meteor is a little thicker sounding due to bass, but is more present and clear with more detail. Females have much more presence and are not veiled, even with the tuning switch on and gets even better with it off.
All instruments have more resolution, piano sounds real and true to life. Drums have a better impact and are actually present in the music. String and wind instruments, doesn't matter what instrument its clear and forward.

Treble is also super detailed with NP, even with the boosted upper air spike on Meteor the Neon Pro has more realistic air and shimmer. Super clear treble on acoustic and electronic music, and don't have that same fatiguing tendency.

Soundstage is very personal, Neon Pro has almost the largest stage and separation I have tried. Wider and deeper than Meteor, imaging also spot on perfect.

znw2pMn5soB5kCdU7urzFRBmVPPS_dRUAFXgMk3qyVNoSOeHcMnS6IUvWDLqck4MWTtRoGudKnrIPmxPRKcFsUSgCPi6vRReM5zCjqyB5O4Yf-XOLqx8ErSaviF5jTOBdsTl5QQ-T8haycb_jWlT2ek

mmHQMniv6sCP5vE3TXvE73-Qjmh2ZY4Air8SO_HTZfjMqmP-sFCBNGBHyY5OPDtrb8xRTfmbq6NEbcLPgrEBzFP5lAKG0JotNfAyymP_71Z-g4IdPOKn-fGLtwSLpUQJFYXczve_cXPfPlw1667chAU

FEdiO--WW2gnvFlbMJqMUMoFoJ-S9Wg7Tue8iNIvjusQmLh1z1DXXmkDhbxEV6i9hZCUu_Sgvd720sf3s_p9IKf1pEwpS9n0IVTbNpbOh3MMWHxhq1D9KXXIJTfWf73XTd3sOBuATNmgTCWq6tu9OIk

Conclusion

This is not the set for me, that is quite clear. I almost wish there was something wrong with the Meteor, I also got my wife with her petite ears to try it. She did say they were cute and small with nice ergonomics, but at first listen she also said the same, it was veiled and almost no detail in the music.

Had to ask a friend who also has many IEMs, and full BA sets. He demoed the Meteor at Zeppelin, first words this is totally not worth it. Unnatural, veiled and like listening from another room instead of in front of speakers

I am not sure what to say really, I have big problems understanding the $600 price. I have liked many BA sets before this (Bravery, SA6, RSV and Neon Pro).
Maybe it's good for intense music to relax it down, or this is just a tuning type some like.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back