The discovery thread!
Jun 29, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #82,126 of 101,945
My new price to performance king is the JUZEAR 41T just superb layering and holographic 3D presentation for so little money
Did you say holographic 👀 Need to add to my “to buy one day” list.

Speaking of holographic, rediscovering an old IEM today:

5BE62AEB-0CD1-4B5A-929E-E6F64BA5C3A5.jpeg

The nicehck discount cable is great. Does not add strange echos or muddiness to the sound of Andro like my FiiO and XINHS cables. Cable itself is well behaved and not microphonic. I should have picked a different colour though. The set up looks like a Vietnamese dessert.

@awacs7n : wow, that sounds like horrible experience. I have had angry emails from manufacturers because I didn’t give their stuffs 5/5. And then some folks just randomly ghosted.

At the end of the day, make no mistake: Reviews based on samples are marketing materials, at very least to get the words out that such and such IEM exist. For example, Sound Rhyme wouldn’t be that hyped without some brave souls here buying and spreading the worlds.

The best situation is when manufacturers have actually done a good job. Every article I write takes at least 10 hours, regardless whether an item is $ or $$$$$$. It would be, and has been, nightmare to be stuck with awful or bland stuffs for two weeks. The worst thing would be to wake up on a weekend morning and receive angry email about how “the review was not fair”, and then some asshats accusing of “hyping” (usually the same item appears in both cases)

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #82,127 of 101,945

@awacs7n : wow, that sounds like horrible experience. I have had angry emails from manufacturers because I didn’t give their stuffs 5/5. And then some folks just randomly ghosted.

At the end of the day, make no mistake: Reviews based on samples are marketing materials, at very least to get the words out that such and such IEM exist. For example, Sound Rhyme wouldn’t be that hyped without some brave souls here buying and spreading the worlds.

The best situation is when manufacturers have actually done a good job. Every article I write takes at least 10 hours, regardless whether an item is $ or $$$$$$. It would be, and has been, nightmare to be stuck with awful or bland stuffs for two weeks. The worst thing would be to wake up on a weekend morning and receive angry email about how “the review was not fair”, and then some asshats accusing of “hyping”.
it took me 20 iems to realize that quality is more important than quantity. i now the commercial concerns of the companies, but this year i contacted a lot of stupid companies. There are 7 - 8 products waiting for review, after the reviews are over, i'm thinking of taking a break for a while and completing some of my missing iems. time is really valuable

Jun 29, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #82,128 of 101,945
Web_IMG_0520.jpg

Web_IMG_0507.jpg

Understated can be cool, but it takes almost zero effort to make their last offering look sick (IMO)
You have no idea as to how the Quintet looks in person though? The pictures you show look garish to me, though taste is personal?

Jun 29, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #82,129 of 101,945
Tripowin x HBB Kailua
DSC_0164.jpeg1214.jpeg

DSC_0170.jpegqwert.jpeg
DSC_0174.jpegqwr.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #82,130 of 101,945
May or may not potentially throw even more fuel into the fire.

I just remembered like a year ago when looking for a replacement mouse since the last one stopped left clicking altogether. There's something special I noticed in this industry. I kept finding in top 10 gaming mice or similar countdowns mice that were all over the place pricing wise.

Sure, you'd probably find some $500 Finalmouse at the very top, but the $30 or so Cooler Master MM710 can apparently perform so well that it makes it to the lower half or so of the top 10.

I don't think I've seen any other industry where reviewers collectively agree that you can save like 95% of your money by simply not going for that last 1%. Like that's how hard returns diminish in gaming mice world.

At least FPS gaming mice world anyways.

Meanwhile if you sort list of best IEMs by highest rating you'll probably not find any IEM below quadruple digits until you go at least 20 places below. And you may start to find double digit priced IEMs in the 100th.

Well, Crinacle does have Thieaudio Monarch at 6 for 730.

But then again his last mayor update was in like october 2021. So maybe there would be a lot more entries in the top 10 for under $1000.

And in case you're asking. He rounds the Monarch MKII's price to exactly $1000. So it doesn't count.

Jun 29, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #82,131 of 101,945
Legato.jpg

I'm really liking the Legato so far. Dat baaaasss! :L3000:

It may not have great microdetails, treble extension, or technicalities, but it doesn't need to.

Clear, fun, smooth, powerful, perfect for bass-heavy genres.

So glad I got this for $48.

Jun 29, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #82,132 of 101,945
Legato.jpg

I'm really liking the Legato so far. Dat baaaasss! :L3000:

It may not have great microdetails, treble extension, or technicalities, but it doesn't need to.

Clear, fun, smooth, powerful, perfect for bass-heavy genres.

So glad I got this for $48.

Awesome. I love the Legato. It adds tons to drama to everything, $48 is a killer deal

Jun 29, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #82,133 of 101,945
I need to invest in some diffusion material for all these shiny objects...
Web_IMG_0570.jpg
Web_IMG_0550.jpg
Web_IMG_0562.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #82,134 of 101,945
Awesome. I love the Legato. It adds tons to drama to everything, $48 is a killer deal
It may not be great for all genres, but the ones it's good for, it really excels at it.

Linsoul's 6/18 sale was epic. Got the Shozy B2 for $84 and Legato for $48.

I have ISN NEO 5 and Quintet coming in soon. Too many IEMs to listen to, not enough time. :sweat:

Jun 30, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #82,135 of 101,945
It may not be great for all genres, but the ones it's good for, it really excels at it.

Linsoul's 6/18 sale was epic. Got the Shozy B2 for $84 and Legato for $48.

I have ISN NEO 5 and Quintet coming in soon. Too many IEMs to listen to, not enough time. :sweat:
The Legatos are fun the same way 2 12" subs in a car trunk are fun. I'm aware what I'm doing is not the peak of audio fidelity.

But big sound go brrrrrr, and there's a smile on my face. If that's wrong then I don't want to be right.

Jun 30, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #82,136 of 101,945
The Legatos are fun the same way 2 12" subs in a car trunk are fun. I'm aware what I'm doing is not the peak of audio fidelity.

But big sound go brrrrrr, and there's a smile on my face. If that's wrong then I don't want to be right.

Honestly, I don’t think they reach the level of ridiculous that dual woofers in a car can achieve. Legato’s tune is actually much more musical than that. If you want indiscriminate bass blasters Beats still has you covered.

Jun 30, 2023 at 12:24 AM Post #82,137 of 101,945
Honestly, I don’t think they reach the level of ridiculous that dual woofers in a car can achieve. Legato’s tune is actually much more musical than that. If you want indiscriminate bass blasters Beats still has you covered.
I remember the early 2000s when every high schooler and college kid wanted as big of a subwoofer setup as possible in their car. :beyersmile:

Legato's bass is bombastic and really pumps, but it's not overwhelming and isn't a bloated mess that bleeds into other frequencies.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #82,138 of 101,945
graph (21).png

So I think the only conclusion I can immediately draw from this is that one costs more up front, the other needs a separate adapter and may need a dedicated amplifier... Assuming both of them don't need one already.

Also one of them may need a notch at 7kHz.

Edit
IMG_20230629_224210.jpg
IMG_20230629_225008.jpg

Of course every time I think about whether I need new headgear or not I come back to improvising filters for these to keep them functional.

I wonder if anyone has come up with hydrophobic filters so I don't have to be constantly changing filters on these things.

Which reminds me of something. If I were to buy some new IEMs. Would they just get clogged by moisture eventually unless you straight up don't have a filter?

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2023 at 1:05 AM Post #82,139 of 101,945
haha maybe the boss of Night Oblivion loves WoW, not sure about that part. He is a very professional man.

Night Oblivion has been around in Chinese domestic market like Sound Rhyme, and had zero exposures to international market.

Their existing line ups are very high performing but the their tunings are somehow Chinese domestic market oriented, so I asked the boss that if he is interested in international market which I’m familiar and offered to develop a model together.

He agreed, so I started to look for investors/sponsors for this project, asked a few and Penon’s big boss raised his hand after listening to the first prototype.

Since then we worked together and made many prototypes, tuning attempts, with different drivers.

The Prototype v5 finally met our goal and we decided to release this Project Butastur into international market in hoping Night Oblivion to establish a new market.

If successful we will develop entry level model with fewer drivers and lower price, as well as flagship level.

Butastar is like HEXA, but since we already have extremely competitive sub100 market, this project is trying another HEXA for higher priced range, with higher technicalities.

I was really hoping in Truthear to release their flagship model with 10BA and tuning switches, and got disappointed to see all they did for past 3 months are reshooting the Zero😩

“Heck, then I will make it myself”

That’s a story.
I'm really excited for you that you get the chance to help develop an IEM. Congrats! I hope to hear it someday!

Jun 30, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #82,140 of 101,945

Users who are viewing this thread

Back