The discovery thread!
Jun 29, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #82,111 of 101,948
Make sure you download Fiios control app from the market place and install that. Will be essential to get some extra features, looking at battery times, EQ, preset EQ, and is an easy way to update the FW3 firmware to accept LDAC. It is experimental but one that has been reported to work. I updated the firmware last night myself. Looking foward to see what you think.
I have both Sony Linkbuds S and Huawei Freebuds Pro 2. The Sony is just okay and nothing special, also quite uncomfortable for me. Not to mention all the drop outs, had the same problem with a earlier Sony TWS also. Huawei Freebuds Pro 2 is really good sounding, and never any problems.

Will be fun to see how they compare in the sound side, as the other two are more technical with all the extra TWS stuff people look for. But I am not sure I really need everything, I most often use them without ANC or Awareness mode.

Jun 29, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #82,112 of 101,948
Let's just say I've seen, heard, and read a lot of very odd and questionable reviews of the Quartet.

Some people will say and write falsities to further an agenda or biases of theirs.

Good to know. I like IEMs that fit well and are comfortable.
I am glad I'm not the only one to notice the usual suspects being shills and hype monkeys for bad products :beerchug:

Jun 29, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #82,113 of 101,948
I am glad I'm not the only one to notice the usual suspects being shills and hype monkeys for bad products :beerchug:
The latest IEMs praises and overreacting style reviews look like the speech of a car salesman from USA films of the 80s-90s, what wonderful new headphones these are and they have never seen better. But at the end they carefully add - in this price category.

Jun 29, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #82,114 of 101,948
I'm listening to this:

http://open.qobuz.com/album/0060255746673

with the B2 OG.
Guys, they still have a lot to offer..
despite the years.

I came from a listening session with IE600, and,
I have to say, on this music I prefer the good old B2.

IMG_4585.jpeg

Jun 29, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #82,115 of 101,948
Hey guys! Cross posting here for people who aren't subscribed to Symphonium and Watercooler thread. Here's my Brand Spotlight review of Symphonium Audio's lineup featuring the 4BA flagship Helios, 1DD+2BA hybrid Triton and 4BA Meteor. The review contains detailed impressions, graphs and comparisons with several popular IEMs in their respective segments. Enjoy!

Jun 29, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #82,118 of 101,948
Actully you are right in that I was attempting a new technique of using flash fill with morning sun, so I had to correct for overly warm color temp. The flash was not as dominant as I expected, but these are just to get some photos out there, my review will have different ones. The main purpose of these was to show the backside.

They are way better in person, where the shape and style are understated.
Web_IMG_0520.jpg

Web_IMG_0507.jpg

Understated can be cool, but it takes almost zero effort to make their last offering look sick (IMO)

Jun 29, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #82,119 of 101,948
Good call, I've just now discovered I enjoy Fourplay! :ksc75smile:
Listened to this last night, along with Leonarfd recc, and it was indeed enjoyable, especailly through the IE600.

FIIO FW3, new toy. Going to give them some time tomorrow during work. Chunky boys, so I hope sound is also nice and big :beerchug:

1688065711833.png
The sound is big! Technicalities not so much, but for what they are and their served purpose, I don't care. I enjoy them immensely.

Jun 29, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #82,120 of 101,948
The latest IEMs praises and overreacting style reviews look like the speech of a car salesman from USA films of the 80s-90s, what wonderful new headphones these are and they have never seen better. But at the end they carefully add - in this price category.
So true!
The survival of the fittest in the harsh reviewing world translates to most obnoxious ways of "selling the free review" poducts out there.
I watch this phenomenon of human limits and imperfections with some sadness for the last 3-4 years here.... but also hopefully learning!

Then, purely mathematically if you select few random products, you should do better compared to "as careful as you can imagine" selection of reviewed samples, just purely considering the significant embedded cost of " free review samples" pased down to gullible consumers..

I definitely did better in my IEM selection without "reviewer hype".
Some people are so notorious, that it does not feel any worthy to argue about their sh... anymore :frowning2:
Fixed your comment on cables to also reflect a subjective, lack of evidence based viewpoint surrounding DAC chips...
I would not be so simplistically primitive here.
Dacs discussed have embedded amps that also imply DSP there.
With all the multidimensional space of DSP, the puristic concept of "transparency" commonly brought in (regrettably, but understandably, so limited) science forum here is merely a zero point (0,0,0,....) in a multidimensional space - hardly any practical reality.

I do love to match my imperfect transducer to my imperfect source for my perfect enjoyment of music :)

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #82,122 of 101,948
My new price to performance king is the JUZEAR 41T just superb layering and holographic 3D presentation for so little money

Jun 29, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #82,123 of 101,948
So true!
The survival of the fittest in the harsh reviewing world translates to most obnoxious ways of "selling the free review" poducts out there.
I watch this phenomenon of human limits and imperfections with some sadness for the last 3-4 years here.... but also hopefully learning!

Then, purely mathematically if you select few random products, you should do better compared to "as careful as you can imagine" selection of reviewed samples, just purely considering the significant embedded cost of " free review samples" pased down to gullible consumers..

I definitely did better in my IEM selection without "reviewer hype".
Some people are so notorious, that it does not feel any worthy to argue about their sh... anymore :frowning2:

I would not be so simplistically primitive here.
Dacs discussed have embedded amps that also imply DSP there.
With all the multidimensional space of DSP, the puristic concept of "transparency" commonly brought in (regrettably, but understandably, so limited) science forum here is merely a zero point (0,0,0,....) in a multidimensional space - hardly any practical reality.

I do love to match my imperfect transducer to my imperfect source for my perfect enjoyment of music :)
As a senior test engineer, I used to rely on very specific criteria in evaluating products and services. But when some opinion makers call their impressions reviews and even give points up to hundredths of a percent, that was quite rare, but anyway, it all looks very strange and in some way devalues any tests and reviews that are based not only on personal impressions, but also on specific facts. But commercial reviews are most often based on impressions, usually hyperbolized and have a completely suggestive orientation. And all this is served under the guise of sending samples to someone for tests just like that, no one knows their intentions for sure. One of the reasons why I do not like and do not trust HBB is that he's promotes products where he's definitely has commercial benefits, but does not bear any responsibility, even symbolic - like with mele, where there were problems with condensate or pr2, where it became immediately irrelevant when different revisions were revealed. He could apologize or offer solutions to this controversial situation together with the manufacturer, for an example. But I do not remember this, I apologize in advance if it was somewhere. But the local ambassadors who sit at the head of the hypetrain are more likely to arouse suspicion than trust, at least for me.
But the good side is that along with this, people buy these headphones themselves, listen to them on different genres of music and they have different impressions of specific models. All this leads to the fact that there is a certain median image of how the headphones sound, how they sit in the ears, and so on. But it also helps in many ways to avoid the so-called justification of an unnecessary or disliked purchase, when someone tries to find something good in what he spent money on. Probably this is the only thing that saves during such aggressive hidden advertising. Well, impressions help a lot where comparisons of several models are used, it's much easier to imagine how a new or not so new model sounds. But all this is my personal opinion, which has developed over almost 10 years that I have been reading this forum.
Sorry if my bragging was too long or gets too personal.

Jun 29, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #82,124 of 101,948
I'm OK with such a qualifier. If I have a monetary cap, I want to know what's best for the pricing tier.

The days of "Consumer Reports" (a U.S. based magazine, known for impartial testing of products) are long gone. It's up to the potential buyer to sift through the hype and make an informed decision.

Jun 29, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #82,125 of 101,948
As a senior test engineer, I used to rely on very specific criteria in evaluating products and services. But when some opinion makers call their impressions reviews and even give points up to hundredths of a percent, that was quite rare, but anyway, it all looks very strange and in some way devalues any tests and reviews that are based not only on personal impressions, but also on specific facts. But commercial reviews are most often based on impressions, usually hyperbolized and have a completely suggestive orientation. And all this is served under the guise of sending samples to someone for tests just like that, no one knows their intentions for sure. One of the reasons why I do not like and do not trust HBB is that he's promotes products where he's definitely has commercial benefits, but does not bear any responsibility, even symbolic - like with mele, where there were problems with condensate or pr2, where it became immediately irrelevant when different revisions were revealed. He could apologize or offer solutions to this controversial situation together with the manufacturer, for an example. But I do not remember this, I apologize in advance if it was somewhere. But the local ambassadors who sit at the head of the hypetrain are more likely to arouse suspicion than trust, at least for me.
But the good side is that along with this, people buy these headphones themselves, listen to them on different genres of music and they have different impressions of specific models. All this leads to the fact that there is a certain median image of how the headphones sound, how they sit in the ears, and so on. But it also helps in many ways to avoid the so-called justification of an unnecessary or disliked purchase, when someone tries to find something good in what he spent money on. Probably this is the only thing that saves during such aggressive hidden advertising. Well, impressions help a lot where comparisons of several models are used, it's much easier to imagine how a new or not so new model sounds. But all this is my personal opinion, which has developed over almost 10 years that I have been reading this forum.
Sorry if my bragging was too long or gets too personal.
i generally think that sponsorships expose the person to psychological pressure. The company does not implement this, but it may be from human nature because if you are reviewing a product with sponsorship, you feel pressured. i used to review a lot of budget-oriented iems, i was giving performance points for iems according to the price. i then decided it was a bad idea and started writing a price-independent review. i usually give 3.5/5 to budget products which 4/5 was very little. When i wrote the review independent of the price, the budget products were already starting the competition 1-0 behind because they were losing points in the technical part. Anyway, since i ordered the products with my own money, it was easy to criticize regardless of price. Then, after i started ordering products with 50% discount from companies, i started to examine the products again according to their price because i encountered the ugly face of the companies. Due to low scores, companies like tempotec stopped sending products. by the way, the damn company called tempotec blamed me for not changing my product, which broke down immediately due to quality control problem. i'm thinking of leaving product reviews that i ordered with a discount because I wouldn't want to accept this situation even if it affects my opinion of even 5%. From now on, I'm thinking of giving 4.5 only to products that impress me, I'm thinking of stopping orders for iems except for a few parts that are already missing. i might do a due diligence next month and stop sponsored reviews altogether because I really don't like writing reviews with 50% off. i think somewhere my comments might be affected. I have close to 10 products pending review, and most of them are discounted products. My personal opinion is not to trust most reviews written around sponsorship, it may have been written by me or someone else. it doesn't matter, somehow opinions are affected.

When i look at my old review articles, i see that they are generally criticism-oriented, negative aspects used to be 80% of the review. it might be like 60% right now, which is more realistic? i think it's definitely more criticism. For example, most people know the good features of hexa, which of us know the bad features? Review means criticism for me, i don't need to hear the positives

Users who are viewing this thread

Back