The discovery thread!
Jun 30, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #82,156 of 105,027
Man, it's awesome seeing more people pick up the BTR7. I've used mine almost every day since I got it last October and it's never failed me. It was even run over by a car and it's still working flawlessly, even though it's basically smashed to bits. The battery life could be better, in my testing using the balanced output, low gain, you'll probably see about 5.5 hours of battery life if you're hovering around 50% volume. The PEQ function could also be better, the software on the FiiO app isn't incredible and compared to the Q5K, very limited but honestly, it works perfectly for on-the-go listening.

Enjoy!
A lot of people talking about the Q5K app... Yeah FiiO Control is not the best..

But, who cares? I'm using UAPP or WAVELET over them by daily basis.

Jun 30, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #82,157 of 105,027
I need to ask your help on a particular subject: eartips.

I think finally I found one kind of ear tips for my IEMs where the sound is really great and the fit and seal are perfect: Whizzer ET100 Size M (12mm).

But for some "belly" round eartips, like the Whizzer SS20, I'm using an S size on my TWS (11.2mm), because M size (12.6mm) is a tiny bit too big and the TWS pops out of my ears after a while.

But I wanted to test also some other brands to check how they sound and how they fit, like JVC Spiraldots++, Azla Sedna, Radius, and final E Type, but for those they have a lot of intermediate sizes, like MS, ML, etc.
So, I'm wondering if for those eartips of size S/MS would suffice (from 11.1 to 11.5mm), or if I should go to M instead (from 11.8 to 12.1mm).

Thanks.
I think Eartips is more about fit that the brand who made.

Also, every iem got different nozzle, so not the same size is gonna work in every iem.
My prefer cheap tips are the black NICEHCK ones or KBEAR 07.
On expensive side, TRI clarion or the WHIZZER (the black ones)

Jun 30, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #82,158 of 105,027
I think it's simpler and healthier to measure headphones based on ch, ss, and other trebly sounds as hurtful and annoying they are vs natural thickness of notes as it's an inverse proportion/equation as such, plus how they tend to put the singer in front and the instruments behind as in background, having higher details for an elevated midrange etc.. bass inline and not louder than midrange etc. Do any of you know of the best matching description of that sound in iem or headphone? btw of course the soundstage tends to be not wide at all and seem congested. That's the sound as god meant it, speakers are a different story. Oh and they tend to sound better/more detailed the more you position them further from your ears (the type 2 sound), some are type 1 but are very slow, too thick smoothed over and lack dynamics and boring and not engaging for enjoying music (dull) like b&w p5(boring, dull, dark, too safe), probably some sennheisers.. The old model m50s, m audio q40 were such excellent headphones I had, mt-220 was a type 2 detailed but musical monster. The thiesound Monarch II is an example of that detailed sound because of midrange, beats everything. Technicalities vs enjoying music huh..

Jun 30, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #82,159 of 105,027
Well, photos are secondary to sound, at least for me. I just came home and tried the Quintet again and was subsequently blown away. This sucker sounds like a $2000.00 IEM........almost? I will have a review up in a day or two! What has happened is it has a few days of burn-in, the ISN G4 cable in 4.4mm and the Sony WM1A with MrWalkman's firmware. A more expanded mid centric tone is it seems an advantage adding pace and clarity. This song rocks and shows what is up, 100%.

Reason being is all the different elements in how it's displayed. Here voice, the echos, the drums, the rhythm guitar tone and timbre.....etc, etc.

Edit:

Also this song playback is absolutely perfect. Her voice! The fastness of the drums, the fall-off. The drum guitar/bass matrix and tight rhythm.........this IEM is showing an otherworldly value.......once the word it out, the rest is history.:)

Edit X2:

This, is played back perfect, the sparkle in the guitars, the size of the drums. All three songs 44.1 kHz - 24 bit FLAC.

Which $2000 IEM do you have in your mind? I’m very curious about the bone conduction of this one.
If you look at my original post I edited to say almost. LOL :)

It is kinda like drinking half a bottle of whiskey and attempting to drive. You know how those fellow motorists are kind-of relying on you not cause havoc on the road. Well the havoc here would be the unsuspecting Head-Fi consumers who could read what I write and spend money accordingly. Basically like if I accidentally exaggerate the quality of the Quintet.........that would basically be like damaging an unsuspecting motorist's vehicle on this internet highway!

The thing is the Quintet isn't exactly like any IEM I have heard before. So I almost can't answer your question......if that makes sense? So much of this is facts combined with psychology. The psychology of thinking you hear and feel the bone conduction? If it's there then you are getting this slightly deeper (more self integral) response. First off the Quintet is offering a level of transparency to where my WM1Z was slightly too bass laden, where the bass was too enhanced. Now generally the WM1Z is that way, and with some IEMs it works. But here the Quintet is so balanced that the bass from the 1Z was shown to be what it is, which seemed too slow......just a little. So switching to the WM1A was the ticket, also adding the ISN Graphene G4 was really the way to go over the included 3.5mm. So getting the Quintet the extra 4.4mm additional amplification seemed to add just a little.

But if you are wondering why and how I'm so dumbfounded by this playback is because the Quintet takes and displays a level of detail like no other IEM anywhere near its price point. So what is happening with that first Delain song is the vocals have a perfect separation from the mix........except if you listen carefully she takes a breath.........now I think that inhale was purposely added in later. I mean there is no way (possibly) that her breath inhale was recorded so clear? I mean maybe it was, but I don't think so. It is an overdub in the song. Only TOTL IEMs get that correct to where you can hear the breath taken so well....it's close to perfect. Next is the timbre of the guitar. That song I use all the time as it actually saves time. It saves time as it is kinda a crash course in testing an IEMs abilities. The song is difficult to do, but more than that it is a song that offers so many technicalities for an IEM to fail at. You have no idea how many IEMs I test to where the song puts them in their place. So what is happening with the song is it is going along and it is like a score card.............where I can go........yep..........yep...........yep.....but then a lesser IEM maybe gets a portion wrong. Red flag.........nothing is perfect. Except maybe there is just a tinge of slightly off timbre (with the Quintet) but maybe not? I have not written even the first word of the review yet, I'm still listening and exploring what it can do...............and it is getting better and better.

The main thing is still what I said in my very first post concerning the Quintet. I said there are treble technicalities that normally don't come at this price point......because they just do not. Little extra accents of treble spaced into the stage in this endearing way. Nothing really sounds like a hodgepodge of drivers, it sounds uniform? There is an authoritative low end that was cleaned-up and quickened in pace and tonal dominance.......though that could also have been due to burn-in? Probably a combination of cable, DAP and burn-in..............but the lows are now in place. There was a slightly too relaxed midrange until I changed DAPs, now it is in the zone. I mean this is typically what I do anyway, except the benefits went an additional step further to dial in the sound (this time around).......it is just accessible and correct.....the re-creation of instruments, the FR and the technicalities are almost equal to a TOTL Flagship. Now you ask which one............I'm not sure as this playback is not exactly like any I have heard...........except that the best IEMs I have had the chance to hear, or own do this re-creation well and leave nothing to be desired. Will I get tired of it, or will I come down from this high and hear a new reality? So far no?

DSC_0157.jpegqwr.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #82,160 of 105,027
I need to invest in some diffusion material for all these shiny objects...
Web_IMG_0570.jpgWeb_IMG_0550.jpgWeb_IMG_0562.jpg
with which device do you take the photos, i found it successful

Jun 30, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #82,161 of 105,027
I know a couple of people have mentioned it before, but I finally got to hear the Whizzer HE10s and they're nice for $70. Gave me vibes in the vicinity of the OH10s style of playback, which is not done often or well.

If you're missing that kinda sound in your collection, it's worth a listen.Screen Shot 2023-06-30 at 8.43.50 AM.png
(HE10 graph courtesy of fr.mmagtech.com overlaid onto tonedeafmonk.squig.link)

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #82,162 of 105,027
I know a couple of people have mentioned it before, but I finally got to hear the Whizzer HE10s and they're nice for $70. Gave me vibes in the vicinity of the OH10s style of playback, which is not done often or well.

If you're missing that kinda sound in your collection, it's worth a listen.Screen Shot 2023-06-30 at 8.43.50 AM.png
(HE10 graph courtesy of fr.mmagtech.com overlaid onto tonedeafmonk.squig.link)
maybe not the most technical, but one of my favorite single dynamic driver iems to listen to. It has a strange setting that my other dynamic driver iems don't have.

IMG_20230604_175926.jpg

Jun 30, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #82,163 of 105,027
with which device do you take the photos, i found it successful
I think everything I've posted has all been off the 100mm macro on the Canon R6. I've done everything so far with a single flash, but I have better ideas for how to light shiny things based on some youtube research.

You can actually see all the settings and camera people use on their photos if they leave the EXIF data on their photos. Pro tip!

Jun 30, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #82,164 of 105,027
do our ears adapt over time to balanced driver bass? When i switch to something with dynamic drivers, i feel the difference very clearly, but if i don't listen to electronic music, the bass of the balanced drivers feels quite adequate.

Jun 30, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #82,167 of 105,027
Brain adaptation is strong in hearing.
So the details of what you hear at the moment is not only due to the sound reaching your ears, but the previous history (conditioning) of your auditory perception.

So a simple example - a plain A/B comparison would be different when switching from A to B and back compared to switching from A to C and then to B, C, etc. Tough luck for diligent reviewers!

On a positive side, a simple good way to take advantage of this phenomenon - switching your IEMs (and sources) more often and hearing them all differently by a contrast :)

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #82,168 of 105,027
Well after a bit of looking and deliberation I decided to pull the trigger on the Aful performer 8's. I'm really hoping I like them.
Listening to the P8 now off my Shanling M8 and a PWAudio M2 cable... :)

Jun 30, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #82,169 of 105,027
The latest IEMs praises and overreacting style reviews look like the speech of a car salesman from USA films of the 80s-90s, what wonderful new headphones these are and they have never seen better. But at the end they carefully add - in this price category.
So whats wrong with all that?

Jun 30, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #82,170 of 105,027
I made Night Oblivion logo for the package.

I almost fainted when seeing the first draft saying “Forget night” 🤯 with very “old” font.

It’s pretty straightforward name.

IMG_8033.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back