The discovery thread!
Jun 28, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #82,051 of 106,418
Interesting, yes, you can often smell a “funny” review. I have not seen any derogatory reviews on it? But that makes sense, though when the cat is out of the bag, so to speak, there will be no stopping it, IMO.
Let's just say I've seen, heard, and read a lot of very odd and questionable reviews of the Quartet.

Some people will say and write falsities to further an agenda or biases of theirs.

Good to know. I like IEMs that fit well and are comfortable.

Jun 28, 2023 at 10:48 PM Post #82,053 of 106,418
Thanks! It's on my list to look at!

Definitely going to check those out as well!

Unfortunately they say they're no longer made and only can be bought from dealers old stock. Probably not going with these unfortunately though they do look nice.

Like the look of the Tri i3pro and the isn d10.

I'm almost upset you showed me these lmao I really like the look and they have really appealing specs and reviews but I can't find one even remotely close to 400.

I could bump up my budget a little bit probably not over 400.

Currently I have:
Aful p5
ISN Neo 5
ISN D10
Ikko OH10
TRI I3pro

I'd love the xenns tops but they're just too much.

Appreciate the input and advice everyone. Definitely open to any others and will be trying to search through this massive thread for more.
If you can go up another $50, FATfreq Maestro Mini is a good option if you're looking for a basshead IEM.

https://www.fatfreq.com/maestro-mini

If not, wait for a possible sale? Not many other affordable, quality basshead options.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #82,054 of 106,418
maybe AFUL Performer 8 / Sound Rhyme SR7 to your list as well? They are fantastic 6 to 7BA hybrids.
i second SR7 are great....its a bit like what the Penon Globe wish to be....but tuning switch is like 2 soundsig (drastic way since there slight difference).
P8 have mixed impressions on CHifi Love....while P5 were ultra hyped at first then kind of fall in the dust. i would be very cautious with Aful products and wait for post reviewers hype

for SR7 too...for any new IEM in fact.

Jun 28, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #82,055 of 106,418
Interesting, yes, you can often smell a “funny” review. I have not seen any derogatory reviews on it? But that makes sense, though when the cat is out of the bag, so to speak, there will be no stopping it, IMO.

Quartet had met with mostly positive reviews and some mixed owner impressions. I’ve found them to be kind of a mixed bag. Not excellent at everything but very good at some things. They’re mid bass focused with sub bass thump added to boot. They could use a bit more treble extension and more of a boost in the vocal range, but I still like them. They’ve grown on me. I think Kiwi Ears knows what they’re doing and it just takes some time to adjust to a genuinely new tuning.

But thank goodness we’re finally seeing a variety of companies doing tunings that don’t slavishly conform to the pop-centric Harman V curve. At last we’re starting to have a nice selection of “exotic” tunings to try. Legato, Bridge and Quartet from my current 2023 lineup couldn’t be more different from each other and from the myriad Moondrop Aria clones that ruled for so long.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2023 at 12:03 AM Post #82,056 of 106,418
i second SR7 are great....its a bit like what the Penon Globe wish to be....but tuning switch is like 2 soundsig (drastic way since there slight difference).
P8 have mixed impressions on CHifi Love....while P5 were ultra hyped at first then kind of fall in the dust. i would be very cautious with Aful products and wait for post reviewers hype

for SR7 too...for any new IEM in fact.
I’m up for P8 sound signature as the way they tuned is very unique and has no close sounding ones. I still see P8 praise even to date from a happy new owner on twitter network, so I think P8 already has earned the citizenship of post initial offering hype.

Well we all know new IEM hype train is like a daily carnival event isn’t it?

Jun 29, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #82,057 of 106,418
I’m up for P8 sound signature as the way they tuned is very unique and has no close sounding ones. I still see P8 praise even to date from a happy new owner on twitter network, so I think P8 already has earned the citizenship of post initial offering hype.

Well we all know new IEM hype train is like a daily carnival event isn’t it?
What else offer that sorts of technical performance like P8, without killing the tonality or the bass, at that price tag? I can’t understand all the whining around this IEM.

image.jpg

Solid back up for the U12t to use outside

Edit: and it’s not like the strength of these IEM is something elusive like “romantic midrange” or “sweet vocal”, or “engage emotionally”, etc. that can’t be verified. It’s sheer resolution, treble extension, and accurate imagine. Just put on a complex recording and see how it resolves. Listen to the decay and reverb of the notes. What non-kilobuck can do the same?

Concern about the tonality? Check the graph and see what it aligns with.

EFF105D2-87D1-4A40-B239-D8E413D4E048.png

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2023 at 12:20 AM Post #82,058 of 106,418
Quartet had met with mostly positive reviews and some mixed owner impressions. I’ve found them to be kind of a mixed bag. Not excellent at everything but very good at some things. They’re mid bass focused with sub bass thump added to boot. They could use a bit more treble extension and more of a boost in the vocal range, but I still like them. They’ve grown on me. I think Kiwi Ears knows what they’re doing and it just takes some time to adjust to a genuinely new tuning.

But thank goodness we’re finally seeing a variety of companies doing tunings that don’t slavishly conform to the pop-centric Harman V curve. At last we’re starting to have a nice selection of “exotic” tunings to try. Legato, Bridge and Quartet from my current 2023 lineup couldn’t be more different from each other and from the myriad Moondrop Aria clones that ruled for so long.
Well the final frontier is if they can create realism. And while in my limited listening to the Quintet I did hear only a single tone that was ever so slightly off, but I hope maybe burn-in will remedy it? Still it could even just be me and my understanding of that particular sound, which could all of a sudden change to tonally correct with personal acclimation? But then the rest of the song came through (fine) and it was totally amazing how well this particular IEM reconstructs?

Just the imaging, separation, the bass is a tad slow but that also may very well change after hours of use? But it’s slow in more of a suggested arrival time, like hearing live music in a room, style of slow, and nothing so far to worry about. I totally agree finally now we are now being shown personality in the tune, not these endless Harman robot-tunes. And if things go as they have been for the year, we should hopefully hear more of these subtle yet fascinating tunes that also somehow arrive value priced. It is almost like the value to tone and technicality threshold has been changed. Of course I’m in the honeymoon phase with the Quintet, except really I’m at a loss as to where to place its value? It in no way sounds like the price asked? I have a place where TOTLs live (here) and somehow the Quintet is allowed in that club? There is now only four members to that club?

Jun 29, 2023 at 12:28 AM Post #82,059 of 106,418
What else offer that sorts of technical performance like P8, without killing the tonality or the bass, at that price tag? I can’t understand all the whining around this IEM.

image.jpg

Edit: and it’s not like the strength of these IEM is something elusive like “romantic midrange” or “sweet vocal”, or “engage emotionally”, etc. that can’t be verified. It’s sheer resolution, treble extension, and accurate imagine. Just put on a complex recording and see how it resolves. Listen to the decay and reverb of the notes. What non-kilobuck can do the same?

EFF105D2-87D1-4A40-B239-D8E413D4E048.png
TBH P8 is an anomaly, I don’t think any IEM can beat P8 around the price range, at least to my view. It’s a winner of 2023 1st Half.

Jun 29, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #82,060 of 106,418
I wonder how the anti-Kiwi Ears crowd will spin this one.
I feel like many people are pro kiwi ears. I mean most of the people who actually review iems like at least a few of their products. I'm struggling to think of who you mean.
Both on the way to me too. I already have too many IEMs, but had to get these 2 for the collection.
What about the Neon 5 attracts you?
haha maybe the boss of Night Oblivion loves WoW, not sure about that part. He is a very professional man.

Night Oblivion has been around in Chinese domestic market like Sound Rhyme, and had zero exposures to international market.

Their existing line ups are very high performing but the their tunings are somehow Chinese domestic market oriented, so I asked the boss that if he is interested in international market which I’m familiar and offered to develop a model together.

He agreed, so I started to look for investors/sponsors for this project, asked a few and Penon’s big boss raised his hand after listening to the first prototype.

Since then we worked together and made many prototypes, tuning attempts, with different drivers.

The Prototype v5 finally met our goal and we decided to release this Project Butastur into international market in hoping Night Oblivion to establish a new market.

If successful we will develop entry level model with fewer drivers and lower price, as well as flagship level.

Butastar is like HEXA, but since we already have extremely competitive sub100 market, this project is trying another HEXA for higher priced range, with higher technicalities.

I was really hoping in Truthear to release their flagship model with 10BA and tuning switches, and got disappointed to see all they did for past 3 months are reshooting the Zero😩

“Heck, then I will make it myself”

That’s a story.
Happy for you. I hope I can afford it, and I hope it's successful for you. I appreciate your passion and hard work. I raid in wow, and am a little sad it doesn't do to with Wow. XD Great name.
so i dont have enough time to focus on headfi alot alas....but there an intriguing hybrid always poping up with praise and hype on Chifi Love group....
and now, i need some minimal impressions from you guys...

its the JUZ EAR 41T
1688005693022.png

question is: is this an exceptional or very good IEM for the price (technical performance and tonal balance) and why????

tx in advance guys....im overwhelmed with choice but do the ''fine bouche'' now...so no more Moondrop, KZ, CCA, TRN, CVJ (ok not sure, Mei have potential) and stuffs....
There has been a lot of good reviews on this iem. Great cable with it as well. It is definitely on my radar.

Jun 29, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #82,061 of 106,418
TBH P8 is an anomaly, I don’t think any IEM can beat P8 around the price range, at least to my view. It’s a winner of 2023 1st Half.
Well put. I think while it isn't the best iem ever, it is very competitive. I think it's really strong. It has a strong cable, nice case, and looks premium. It sounds fantasic and has good sub base for my ears. That Dynamic driver is good to my ears. Very technical. Still amazes me to this day, but my experience is limited.

Jun 29, 2023 at 12:50 AM Post #82,062 of 106,418
what is a good sub $50AUD iems for live performance?

Jun 29, 2023 at 12:53 AM Post #82,063 of 106,418

image.jpg

Unfortunately doesn't sound anywhere close to the U12t the two are worlds different.

Jun 29, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #82,065 of 106,418
I feel like many people are pro kiwi ears. I mean most of the people who actually review iems like at least a few of their products. I'm struggling to think of who you mean.

What about the Neon 5 attracts you?

Happy for you. I hope I can afford it, and I hope it's successful for you. I appreciate your passion and hard work. I raid in wow, and am a little sad it doesn't do to with Wow. XD Great name.

There has been a lot of good reviews on this iem. Great cable with it as well. It is definitely on my radar.
Oh hey I’m the anti-Kiwi Ears Cadenza guy who almost got banned from headfi, ending up mod to interrupt the thread😂

I’m still thinking Cadenza is just OK and slightly above average as a $40 single DD.

I’m happy with Quartet though, it’s definitely not a ground breaking of any sort, but it makes listening very enjoyable

And thanks!!

Still having a tough pricing negotiation, but I’m just a guy who invest effort in tuning and making the Project Butastur with Night Oblivion, not the actual
big boss who pays all the bills and buys the inventory that suffers huge risks.

I’m trying to find a midpoint in pricing negotiation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back