The discovery thread!
Apr 27, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #77,551 of 101,306
Got the discount. Includes tax to UK. How will it compare to Timeless and S12. Has he worked on the bass response?

1682592170680.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #77,552 of 101,306
IMHO, KZ were a bit late to the planar game, which has kinda sailed off in 2023. The hype for this year mainly seems to be concentrated on dual DDs and IEMs with tuning switches.

The planar frenzy of 2022 kicked off with the 7Hz Timeless, as consumers discovered planars brought great resolution and lightning fast transients to the budget CHIFI table. Ironically a few years back TinHIFI launched the P1 planar but the high amplification requirements and anemic bass made it kind of a niche proposition. Anyway, competitors saw the Timeless was a huge success, and tried to muscle in with their own planar IEMs. Even Moondrop and DUNU launched brand new planars in a hope of capturing the market pie.

KZ entered a bit later with planars, they also had some shenanigans in launching a Pro version of a planar 2 weeks after the original was launched, but that is par for the course for a KZ.

We haven't seen Pro/Ultra/Max versions of colabs so far. Possibly due to licensing agreements? I'm perfectly happy if it's just a PR1 that doesn't need foam tips. :ksc75smile:

Apr 27, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #77,553 of 101,306
Apr 27, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #77,554 of 101,306
Apr 27, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #77,555 of 101,306
Haha, a few pages back we were having a robust discussion if an Apple dongle is enough in this hobby.

HIFIMAN says NO.

HIFIMAN EF1000DAC

$15000 USD

343643790_616552793707064_8171621042973728348_n.jpg

Uses some proprietary Hymalaya Pro DAC. For the entrance fee, this pandora box better bring one to audio nirvana in the Himalayas!

https://www.facebook.com/HiFiMANEle...6T1TpEzCaobBLjWMbokk53J9naUaQjoPtjN68aMumYrWl

Well after the latest HBB colab that I folded and purchased. I can feel virtuous in proudly stating that I'm not buying this bloody thing!

Can people keep posting the occasional nutcase expensive piece of gear, so I can continue to convince myself that my indulgences are in fact reasonable?:angel:

Apr 27, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #77,556 of 101,306
KZ entered a bit later with planars, they also had some shenanigans in launching a Pro version of a planar 2 weeks after the original was launched, but that is par for the course for a KZ.

Yep. And every time i buy a new release KZ I'm worried they're going to bring out a new version or another release all together that I'd enjoy more or just renders what I've bought mostly obsolete.

Apr 27, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #77,557 of 101,306
Can people keep posting the occasional nutcase expensive piece of gear, so I can continue to convince myself that my indulgences are in fact reasonable?:angel:

Yes, your wish is granted.
I found good kidney-funded stuff to pair with this $15000 Himalayan DAC:

1) TRN Golden Ears IEM - very affordable $25000 USD
TRN.PNG

2) Xiaofan Ortiz 8 Core cable - $4300 USD
Seems they claim this cable is only fit for the gods in their marketing spiel.

Capture5.PNG

Capture6.PNG

Apr 27, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #77,558 of 101,306
No offence, but measurebators will eat their pecker if this Pecker IEM sells better than the Ling Long. Unless manufacturers combine the best of these 2 IEMs and give us a massively Ling Long Pecker?

But jokes aside, look at that gigantic 8 kHz!? I mean graphs don't tell the full story, but they generally give a reasonable gauge of tonality. Even after deducting for the coupler peak, that 8 kHz is surely gonna be painful unless the listener has iron ear drums?
Do you use an Apple dongle with that KBear Pecker?

Apr 27, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #77,559 of 101,306
If you are a treblehead and don't mind something very technical though thinner in note weight, check out the Geek Wold GK100 ($200 USD).

See Audio Yume 2 is not bad too (this is version 2, not the OG one). More balanced, decent technical chops.
Thanks. However thin note weight it an issue for me. Also forgot to mention that the bigger the stage the better.

Sennheiser IE300 or Sound Rhyme SR5. Excellent imaging and stage on both, plus amazing bass, and enough treble + note weight to capture the mood and lushness of ambient/atmospheric music. IE300 will fit better and be more comfy. I'd even throw the AKG N5005 as well for it's fantastic imaging and stage and dynamics.
Its impossible to get the N5005 here in India.

Odd but how about Dunu Falcon Pro or Vernus ?🤔
i felt the note weight on the Dunu was not to my liking.

I really like the Tin Hifi P1Max for that. Check out Passenger11 on this thread, daily doses of excellent ambient music! Bear in mind I'm not a treble-head.:L3000:

what-are-you-listening-to-right-now-new-thread-new-rules-please-read-them
i am not looking for a treble head set :) the right note weight, no rolled off sub bass and a gigantic stage is what i am looking for i guess.

Apr 27, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #77,560 of 101,306
Thanks. However thin note weight it an issue for me. Also forgot to mention that the bigger the stage the better.

i am not looking for a treble head set :) the right note weight, no rolled off sub bass and a gigantic stage is what i am looking for i guess.
Unfortunate on the N5005.

Apr 27, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #77,561 of 101,306
Got the discount. Includes tax to UK. How will it compare to Timeless and S12. Has he worked on the bass response?

I got the fact that the YouTubers wanted to test their collabs on a couple of IEMs. That was good because it could educate some IEM manufaturers and tuners as to what people were talking about. Now though there are so many collabs I think it is creating the opposite effect. Mainly copycat IEMs with pretty standardized, same old, tunings. I remember the original Blon 03 tuning...... inspirational tuning. Present day Penon Tunings are done by a master. Bob at IMR is a master. Unfortunately the overdose of collabs is no longer positive (to me) and where have the master tuners gone? The collabs are getting boring/samey. I'll give the HBB KZ Planar a go. I hope it is wild and different and not a 💤💤💤💤 job.

Apr 27, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #77,562 of 101,306
Hm I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that but i think they have thick note weight and good transparent upper mid, maybe not well extension on both end but sound quite airy (open) IMO. I think try them out yourself would be better than explaining here 😉
Edit: cheaper options would be NRA (modded), CRA (mod), and ZEX pro

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #77,563 of 101,306

Bro, if soundstage is your main criteria, are you open to trying out earbuds? They beat most IEMs in soundstage for sure, and are closer to open backed headphones than IEMs in this regard. Most earbuds may have a sub-bass roll off, but there are some that have specially designed acoustic chambers that preserve the sub-bass.

Apr 27, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #77,564 of 101,306

For note weight and a warmer signature Audiosense AQ4 is worth a serious look. The AliExpress Summer sale is only about 2 months away and AQ4 was half price 11/11 and most of the time through to spring sales.:L3000:

Apr 27, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #77,565 of 101,306
Do you remember, friends, that I said that the TRN T350 are quiet? It turns out that the volume is adjusted separately on the headphones themselves. Take your words back, they are very loud 0_о

Users who are viewing this thread

Back