The discovery thread!
Apr 8, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #75,946 of 102,561
Listened to my old Jade Audio EA3 like 30 minutes ago, one of the first IEMs I got when I started the hobby

This IEM would be completely dead on arrival if it came today, insane lower treble spike completely destroys the tone of this IEM, sounds like absolute dog water.

Jade Audio still sells this garbage for some reason, the EA3 would still be a steaming pile of schitt even if JA was giving sets for free along a DAC purchase or something.
Yea…agree.

I bashed EA3 to dead 1star on Amazon USA review. Waste of Knowles😢

The only reason I can justify EA3’s existence is that it’s a $100 dollar lesson to learn tuning matter more than driver spec.

Knowles couldn’t save utterly nightmare tuning FiiO has done to EA3. Knowing that they tried to create mainstream V from that IEM, and failed to the level that Ultimate Ears has done for the world’s first hybrid IEM, 5EB. History repeats itself😔

Apr 8, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #75,947 of 102,561
Just received the KZ D-Fi tunable KZ.

It comes in 2 variants - a tunable version and a cheaper non-tunable one. So the tunable version has 4 switches, giving a total of 16 possible tuning permutations.

I never though the day would come when I would spend ONE ENTIRE HOUR averaging and graphing a KZ pokemon, but that day is indeed today! For the sake of audio science, I will take one for the team. This hour of my life can never be gotten back, but I hope those interested in this pokemon will get a better picture whether to catch this pokemon, with the graphs below.

The switches are easily flipped and not stiff (unlike the TRI Star River I bought 2 weeks ago), so I am glad QC on this set is very decent. And yes the externals look like a Joyodio Shine LOLOL.

KZ D-Fi via IEC711 coupler, 8 kHz is a coupler peak:
KZ D-Fi Final.jpg

Spoiler: essentially the switches only change stuff from 100 Hz and below. We are talking about maybe a 4dB difference in bass between the bassiest and the lightest bass config, with the 16 tuning configs lying in a spectrum between these 2 points. There may be some changes in the graph beyond 7 kHz, but the differences are very minute (perhaps unless one has golden ears).

Catching these 16 KZ pokemon for science today may perhaps prevent 15 other "PRO" or "ULTRA" pokemon from being released to the wild next week!

Oh and KZ tuning is definitely becoming more refined. A very far cry from the old school V shaped banshee screaming type tuning, so good job! A leopard pokemon can change its spots after all!
Which is your favorite of the 16 settings?
Which of the 16 settings is the single fixed one for the model without the switches?

Apr 8, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #75,948 of 102,561
Which is your favorite of the 16 settings?
Which of the 16 settings is the single fixed one for the model without the switches?

Well as you can see from the measured graphs, the tunings are not very night and day different among the 16 switch settings. Between the most extreme "bassiest" tuning and the least bassy one, we are just talking about a 4 dB difference in bass. So it is quite subtle.

There are definitely other tunable IEMs with a much more marked difference in sound/graphs.

I don't have the non-tunable KZ D-Fi, but this are the graphs from their store page:
Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

If the store graphs can be trusted, seems that the non-tunable variant corresponds to the all switches down config for the tunable D-Fi - ie the least bassy setting.

Apr 8, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #75,949 of 102,561
Yea…agree.

The only reason I can justify EA3’s existence is that it’s a $100 dollar lesson to learn tuning matter more than driver spec.

Knowles couldn’t save utterly nightmare tuning FiiO has done to EA3. Knowing that they tried to create mainstream V from that IEM, and failed to the level that Ultimate Ears has done for the world’s first hybrid IEM, 5EB. History repeats itself😔
EA3 is ca. $30 in Amazon Canada, and 4.2 stars. I am curious how EA3 compares with the older F9 pro and F1H that I still have. F9 pro are V and bright, while I did not have much problem with that, I realized later that the fit and the nozzle angle of "the bean" are not ideal for my ears.
Then, I rather interpret "custom" Knowles, as something of less-proven quality.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #75,950 of 102,561
Thumbs up, just for this

Your synopsis has me pondering the viability of an all BA, as I prefer the low end rumble, of a well implemented dynamic driver.

I have a soft spot for the vented BA woofers in the OG SA6. I remember reading somewhere that the SA6 II have fully open woofers. I don't understand why manufacturers work so hard to make BA woofers work, but when done right to create a real bass shelf rather than a fat hump (the default response of these woofers), the bass can feel very nice and "firm" with a different sensation than DD bass.

Hidizs and tempotec have already had identical products (inside) in the past... I suppose (and am sure) that it is perfectly possible. Hidizs with luxurious finishes and tempotec with more rude finishes, but same product

From the photo, I see straight tubes, a.k.a., Hidizs' "Signature" technology. It's very possible that the products are similar. Oh well, @cqtek 's graph can clarify everything soon enough.

Yea…agree.

At first, I was like "come on, how can it be that bad"

And then
EA3.jpg

Holy moly. My strategy with FiiO is blind buy DD if necessary. Anything else with crossover, wait for graphs, since they can tune in any direction.

Well as you can see from the measured graphs, the tunings are not very night and day different among the 16 switch settings. Between the most extreme "bassiest" tuning and the least bassy one, we are just talking about a 4 dB difference in bass. So it is quite subtle.

There are definitely other tunable IEMs with a much more marked difference in sound/graphs.

I don't have the non-tunable KZ D-Fi, but this are the graphs from their store page:

If the store graphs can be trusted, seems that the non-tunable variant corresponds to the all switches down config for the tunable D-Fi - ie the least bassy setting.

Your graph looks more flattering than the store graph :beyersmile: The bassiest graph from your rig looks like Blessing 2's response.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #75,951 of 102,561
Hidizs and tempotec have already had identical products (inside) in the past... I suppose (and am sure) that it is perfectly possible. Hidizs with luxurious finishes and tempotec with more rude finishes, but same product
That's right, that's why I said it.
We'll see if they make it home. It's not the first time that customs in my country have returned a package without justification.

Apr 8, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #75,952 of 102,561
Back in early February of 2022 I did wild graph where I placed the IEMs I owned in order of bass levels a little to a lot. From a little at the top to a lot at the bottom!

I only tried the 64 Audio N8 and qdc VX, those two I don’t own.

Notice where the DUNU SA6 is, it would be surprising if that changed!
73847E0A-7E18-4D70-A0E7-AE49C03D7E19.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #75,953 of 102,561
EA3 is ca. $30 in Amazon Canada, and 4.2 stars. I am curious how EA3 compares with the older F9 pro and F1H that I still have. F9 pro are V and bright, while I did not have much problem with that, I realized later that the fit and the nozzle angle of "the bean" are not ideal for my ears.
Then, I rather interpret "custom" Knowles, as something of less-proven quality.
Ah if $30CAD maybe you can EQ, but….bass DD is very slow that I could leave a little warning. I can’t believe vast majority of people rate EA3 that high, if that’s their first BA IEM, “oh I can hear thing” maybe… otherwise…they soon will have a concern of early hearing impairment.

Apr 8, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #75,954 of 102,561
Ah if $30CAD maybe you can EQ, but….bass DD is very slow that I could leave a little warning. I can’t believe vast majority of people rate EA3 that high, if that’s their first BA IEM, “oh I can hear thing” maybe… otherwise…they soon will have a concern of early hearing impairment.
if low price is what one is after, FiiO JD3 (not JD7) is a safer choice. I bought it because I didn’t want to leave empty handed after testing all kinds of expensive IEMs at my local hifi store. The resulting sound was pleasant (enough). Strong bass, can be kind of hollow sounding due to the strong 4k dip.

Graph: https://nk-tran.com/iegems-graphtool/?share=JD3

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #75,955 of 102,561
TINHIFI C5
DSC_0043.jpegsd.jpeg
DSC_0044.jpegwr.jpeg
DSC_0052.jpegrvevq.jpeg
DSC_0087.jpeg21212qw.jpeg

Apr 9, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #75,956 of 102,561
Also i found this Etymotic Inear style

Link 399 = around 60-70ish and even have private model if you want to!
I really need an isolate iem to gaming so i guess i might try to buy this etymotic with switches, still haven't figure out how yet
Just ordered one, will receive them in a week!
Edit: nope, 2 week of production + 1week of transporting

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 1:15 AM Post #75,957 of 102,561
My gosh.......this Penon Vocal and Sony WM1A with IMR BC 2023 is pure synergy. MrWalkman’s firmware helps too! :)
DSC_0078.jpeg12412.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back