The discovery thread!
Apr 8, 2023 at 5:00 AM Post #75,931 of 102,549
That graph is the farthest thing I would have expected KZ to do with the D-Fi? Interesting as the JOYODIO SHINE uses the switches to change stuff above and below the Pinna Gain. So with the SHINE it’s actually (to a point) super effective, but leaves the character of the drivers, meaning the 7mm DD can be weaker or stronger, the treble and midrange BAs have a slight boost, yet everything remains normal almost inside the upper midrange! If you reviewed the SHINE disregard this script! Lol. :)

You know next week we should see two more IEMs from KZ with the four switches, they must have purchased a boat-load of them?
Just received the KZ D-Fi tunable KZ.

It comes in 2 variants - a tunable version and a cheaper non-tunable one. So the tunable version has 4 switches, giving a total of 16 possible tuning permutations.

I never though the day would come when I would spend ONE ENTIRE HOUR averaging and graphing a KZ pokemon, but that day is indeed today! Argg, I am having a migraine now, but for the sake of audio science, I will take one for the team. This hour of my life can never be gotten back, but I hope those interested in this pokemon will get a better picture whether to catch this pokemon, with the graphs below.

The switches are easily flipped and not stiff (unlike the TRI Star River I bought 2 weeks ago), so I am glad QC on this set is very decent. And yes the externals look like a Joyodio Shine LOLOL.

KZ D-Fi via IEC711 coupler, 8 kHz is a coupler peak:

Spoiler: essentially the switches only change stuff from 100 Hz and below. We are talking about maybe a 4dB difference in bass between the bassiest and the lightest bass config, with the 16 tuning configs lying in a spectrum between these 2 points. There may be some changes in the graph beyond 7 kHz, but the differences are very minute (perhaps unless one has golden ears).

I have done my dues and caught 16 KZ pokemon for science! Perhaps it may prevent 15 other "PRO" or "ULTRA" pokemon from being released to the wild next week!

Oh and KZ tuning is definitely becoming more refined. A very far cry from the old school V shaped banshee screaming type tuning, so good job! A leopard pokemon can change its spots after all!

Apr 8, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #75,932 of 102,549
Apr 8, 2023 at 5:17 AM Post #75,933 of 102,549

It comes in 2 variants - a tunable version and a cheaper non-tunable one. So the tunable version has 4 switches, giving a total of 16 possible tuning permutations.

I never though the day would come when I would spend ONE ENTIRE HOUR averaging and graphing a KZ pokemon, but that day is indeed today! Argg, I am having a migraine now, but for the sake of audio science, I will take one for the team. This hour of my life can never be gotten back, but I hope those interested in this pokemon will get a better picture whether to catch this pokemon, with the graphs below.

The switches are easily flipped and not stiff (unlike the TRI Star River I bought 2 weeks ago), so I am glad QC on this set is very decent. And yes the externals look like a Joyodio Shine LOLOL.

KZ D-Fi Final.jpg

Spoiler: essentially the switches only change stuff from 100 Hz and below. We are talking about maybe a 4dB difference in bass between the bassiest and the lightest bass config, with the 16 tuning configs lying in a spectrum between these 2 points. There may be some changes in the graph beyond 7 kHz, but the differences are very minute (perhaps unless one has golden ears).

I have done my dues and caught 16 KZ pokemon for science! Perhaps it may prevent 15 other "PRO" or "ULTRA" pokemon from being released to the wild next week!

Oh and KZ tuning is definitely becoming more refined. A very far cry from the old school V shaped banshee screaming type tuning, so good job! A leopard pokemon can change its spots after all!
Thanks for taking one for the team man!!

Apr 8, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #75,934 of 102,549
Thanks for the impressions, mate!
Everything about Mk2 that I have read so far suggests that it would be something I enjoy a lot. Large stage, better treble, better bass. Seems like a good IEM for orchestral and soundtracks.
Indeed sir, it fits perfectly into my bills as well. I am just glad that I pulled the plug when I was offered a deal <3

Apr 8, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #75,935 of 102,549
That graph is the farthest thing I would have expected KZ to do with the D-Fi? Interesting as the JOYODIO SHINE uses the switches to change stuff above and below the Pinna Gain. So with the SHINE it’s actually (to a point) super effective, but leaves the character of the drivers, meaning the 7mm DD can be weaker or stronger, the treble and midrange BAs have a slight boost, yet everything remains normal almost inside the upper midrange! If you reviewed the SHINE disregard this script! Lol. :)

You know next week we should see two more IEMs from KZ with the four switches, they must have purchased a boat-load of them?
Because it's a single DD and there isn't much point to have 4 tuning switches for it. I feel sorry for KZ doesn't even understand what that zobel circuit does. Or they should have advertised it as a built-in impedance adaptor perhaps.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 5:50 AM Post #75,936 of 102,549

I never though the day would come when I would spend ONE ENTIRE HOUR averaging and graphing a KZ pokemon, but that day is indeed today! For the sake of audio science, I will take one for the team. This hour of my life can never be gotten back, but I hope those interested in this pokemon will get a better picture whether to catch this pokemon, with the graphs below.

KZ D-Fi Final.jpg

Catching these 16 KZ pokemon for science today may perhaps prevent 15 other "PRO" or "ULTRA" pokemon from being released to the wild next week!

It looks very decent. If this is from a company with good reputation, it might have a lot of hype for the tuning.

Is the ear gain peaking at 10db?

Apr 8, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #75,937 of 102,549
It looks very decent. If this is from a company with good reputation, it might have a lot of hype for the tuning.

Is the ear gain peaking at 10db?

Yeah actually the pinna gain is about 9dB.

And yeah the graph looks more like a Moondrop one than a typical KZ one! If there was a waifu on the packaging, none would be the wiser!

Apr 8, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #75,939 of 102,549
Tempotec is more famous for their sources like dongles and dacs.

They have launched their first IEM in the IM05, and it is an ambitious 4BA + 1DD

FtGJU2UXsAEAC_Y.jpg

https://twitter.com/Sales2019tempo1/status/1644246619624206336

It's curious, it's possible that it's the IEMS box from the photo I posted a few days ago?

If they were those, it would be a nice surprise... The problem is that they are stuck in customs in my country. I'm just waiting for them to be unblocked once I've provided all the required information.

On the other hand, it's also curious that they have the same driver distribution as the Hidizs MS5... It's true that there are many IEMS with that distribution, I just wish they were different.

Tempotec IEMS.jpg

Apr 8, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #75,940 of 102,549
It's curious, it's possible that it's the IEMS box from the photo I posted a few days ago?

If they were those, it would be a nice surprise... The problem is that they are stuck in customs in my country. I'm just waiting for them to be unblocked once I've provided all the required information.

On the other hand, it's also curious that they have the same driver distribution as the Hidizs MS5... It's true that there are many IEMS with that distribution, I just wish they were different.

I’m starting to focus on info about cross over nowadays. I prefer IEMs that distribute the drivers to dedicate frequency bands more after listening to the EA Gaea and the Hidizs MS5.

What are those nice IEMS in your photo? Wait, they are the tempotec IEMs

Apr 8, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #75,941 of 102,549
Because it's a single DD and there isn't much point to have 4 tuning switches for it. I feel sorry for KZ doesn't even understand what that zobel circuit does. Or they should have advertised it as a built-in impedance adaptor perhaps.
Zobel "circuit" can include capacitance and inductance, so if an "impedance adapter" - it would be a more advanced form of it, and can include what is offered by iFi in their matchers.

It would be definitely great, if the switches can be sold separately, ultimately with continously variable elements in a balanced architecture.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #75,942 of 102,549
I’m starting to focus on info about cross over nowadays. I prefer IEMs that distribute the drivers to dedicate frequency bands more after listening to the EA Gaea and the Hidizs MS5.

What are those nice IEMS in your photo? Wait, they are the tempotec IEMs
There is a recent hybrid iem that basically have on-off switches for its drivers.
a DD, mid-BA, treble-BA and the switches could turn off each of the drivers, if i remember it right.

Apr 8, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #75,943 of 102,549
Okay so here it is, I have tested the SA6 MK2 against the predecessor model the SA6 Ultra. This will be a to-the-point comparison with no bullsh*t involved.
Thumbs up, just for this

Your synopsis has me pondering the viability of an all BA, as I prefer the low end rumble, of a well implemented dynamic driver.

Apr 8, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #75,945 of 102,549

Hidizs and tempotec have already had identical products (inside) in the past... I suppose (and am sure) that it is perfectly possible. Hidizs with luxurious finishes and tempotec with more rude finishes, but same product

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back