The discovery thread!
Mar 15, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #74,281 of 104,655
Mar 15, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #74,282 of 104,655
SR5 is fine, just like your toy glow-in-the-dark ones, you need to put faceplate close to light source and leave for a while to charge. It will decay in couple of minutes.

The tritium tubes will have ”half-life” and generally going to last years of radioactivity, it keep emits beta particles and will glow for years, probably not harmful but you certainly will not be a live tester to have those near your brain for long period of time😅

Old style luminous material used on watches and other things was made with radium and was pretty radioactive. Tritium tubes are also radioactive but not to the same degree as radium paint was. These older technologies are classed as “radio-luminescent.”

The method used on these IEMs and other modern glow-in-the-dark products is phosphorescent. It’s a chemical reaction, not a radioactive emission. Phosphorescent body paint, for example, is not hazardous unless you drink it.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 2:19 AM Post #74,283 of 104,655
Tritium:
I have read and waited to say anything about this topic on this thread. But it seems the thread is full of disinformation, so alas I must say something. Tritium is radioactive, but the amount it disperses is almost nothing and not harmful at all in todays uses in watches or IEMs.

In fact the radium used on watch dials in the 1920s gave the ladies who painted it on cancer of the lips. This was due to how the paint brushes were put into their mouth to make a brush-tip. This is actually how we discovered radiation was harmful in the very first place......those watch dial painter ladies. Though well into the 1960s watch dials were still painted with Radium (Ra -226) or Promethium (Pm-147). It is not used today at all.

Old style luminous material used on watches and other things was made with radium and was pretty radioactive. Tritium tubes are also radioactive but not to the same degree as radium paint was. These older technologies are classed as “radio-luminescent.”

The method used on these IEMs and other modern glow-in-the-dark products is phosphorescent. It’s a chemical reaction, not a radioactive emission. Phosphorescent body paint, for example, is not hazardous unless you drink it.
Thank-you. The radioactive elements of the TSMR TOTL IEM would not even be a cause for concern, like previously stated here?

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 2:39 AM Post #74,284 of 104,655
20230315_143410.jpg
The LEGATO sounds amazing with the right tips (HS18) and arguably the right cables (initially settled with Ares S 8W but I think the original Ares S is better due to the lower density aka. note weight). The stage is pretty 3D and bass is very clear and strong as if it's coming from the furthest 3D plane without hurting the coherence. It's a bit unfortunate it's pretty oddly shaped and deep insertion would just kill the stage and separation.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #74,285 of 104,655
Tritium:
I have read and waited to say anything about this topic on this thread. But it seems the thread is full of disinformation, so alas I must say something. Tritium is radioactive, but the amount it disperses is almost nothing and not harmful at all in todays uses in watches or IEMs.

In fact the radium used on watch dials in the 1920s gave the ladies who painted it on cancer of the lips. This was due to how the paint brushes were put into their mouth to make a brush-tip. This is actually how we discovered radiation was harmful in the very first place......those watch dial painter ladies. Though well into the 1960s watch dials were still painted with Radium (Ra -226) or Promethium (Pm-147). It is not used today at all.

Thank-you. The radioactive elements of the TSMR TOTL IEM would not even be a cause for concern, like previously stated here?
Phosphorescence is not a chemical reaction, it is time-delayed fluoresence. Most phosphoresent materials are safe.

Tritium tubes (if they are indeed used in IEMs (??)) in your ears near your brain are problematic due to bremsstrahlung (potentially), and more so for just breaking the tubes with tritium (gas) leaking into your ear channels mighty close to your brain.

My apologies to those who may not need any science here.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #74,286 of 104,655
Mar 15, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #74,287 of 104,655
Possibly TRN is going to use all 4 sacred beast

Xuan Wu the tortoise
Rosefinch AKA Zhu Que/Phoenix

We are still waiting for the Dragon (Qing Long) and the Tiger (Baihu)
KBear will beat them to it then: they have a Rosefinch, a Qinglong, and will have a Xuan Wu. So now I’m expecting a Baihu

Mar 15, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #74,288 of 104,655
what about highs ? :)
make a good bass easy, but how about cool highs :)
The Treble is quite tip and cable dependent I think due a bit of mids bleeding into it. It takes some rolling to smooth out the treble but the inherited technicality and and extension are good. It's presented in a more natural so not super airy way. The bass is quite different actually that resembles some good BA bass but again it's not super textured and has the DD type character.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #74,289 of 104,655
E7909510-518E-47A4-8673-B7F0B01333B5.jpeg

If you can have access to a 10 band graphical EQ, I highly recommend slapping a U-shape profile on these Orchestra Lite. They kick like a mule with U12T-like 10dB bass boost centering around 60Hz (adding 5dB, not 10dB, otherwise you would get to VE bass level). The soundstage and the true resolution is fully demonstrated with a 5dB boost at 16kHz. I haven’t A/B with other options within its bracket, but in EQ profile, I say it trades blow with the $1300 Gaea.

And when entertainment time is over, you can turn off the EQ and go back to a mild, low key IEM that fades into the background so that you can work.

Mar 15, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #74,291 of 104,655
Tritium:

Correct.

Mar 15, 2023 at 4:35 AM Post #74,292 of 104,655
MSEB is a PEQ in disguise. A member here once share the details of the bands.

Found it after a short search:

MageSound 8-ball (MSEB):

1 -- Overall Temperature is a tilt of the whole line towards treble (cool) or bass (warm)
2 -- Bass extension 70Hz and below
3 -- Bass texture 100Hz (medium)
4 -- Note thickness 200Hz (wide)
5 -- Vocals 650Hz (very wide)
6 -- Female overtones 3kHz (tight)
7 -- Sibilance LF 5.8kHz (medium)
8 -- Sibilance HF 9.2kHz (medium)
9 -- Impulse response 7.5kHz (very wide)
10 - Air 10kHz sloped all the way to 20kHz

If you are geeking about about graph and FR long enough, you will figure these out too. I once made a PEQ that I can dial different regions. I felt so smug until realising that MSEB exists :dt880smile:

There are two issues with MSEB on my AP80 Pro X (running a reskin/custom HibyOS):
  • There is a slight reduction in note separation with MSEB. Turning it on without any adjustment (so no preamp applied) shows a slight softness across the frequencies. Not sure whether this is only with AP80 Pro X or all implementations.
  • No matter what I did, I cannot copy the weighty and larger sound of M6U and K7. Tried everything, even dipping 1k trick. I wish I could because AP80 Pro X is more convenient to carry than M6U.
I also found using MSEB on the AP80 pro-X reduced the resolution and dynamics. The same effect occurs when using EQ on my Hifi Walker H2 and the Xduoo X20. I steer clear of EQ because of that.

Mar 15, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #74,293 of 104,655
The Simgot EA500 has arrived!

It is a single DD (DLC) with 2 tuning options via tuning nozzles.

Simgot EA500.jpg

Graph of EA500 via an IEC711 compliant coupler. 8kHz peak is a coupler artifact.

Listening impressions to follow.

Mar 15, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #74,295 of 104,655
Tin Hifi’s sub brand TKZK( naming sense😞, Tin-KZ-Killer? )’s neutral offering, TKZK Wave, it’s neutral or is it?

Purchased from this store @$26

The face plate is actually very nicely made
E2E36F7C-0A73-4CE4-9849-E0ABFE2D37A9.jpeg
623D4BB0-54FB-490A-BF2F-11076B0E8FA7.jpeg

Also, full-resin filled👏
A57DB83B-9879-499A-ABAC-AA168DD869BC.jpeg

FR 033B0B00-1EC6-48FD-9EE3-7031BCCE0D22.jpeg

OOTB:

▶︎Extra wide bore stock ear tip! Yes 🙌 They know what they are doing. TKZK is despite its random naming, is not random in understanding what kind of product they are making.

▶︎Wow it’s nicely done flat bass! This is the sole purpose I purchased Wave. Among all bass buffed budget IEMs, this type of neutral approach is rare to be found.

▶︎Rest of spectrum is fine tuned as well, it’s belongs to rather brighter side of neutral and I quite like this type of transparent tuning, 3khz dip style (soft edge ).

▶︎ Flat bass + Clean sounding mid + top is basic property, I wouldn’t refer it as “neutral reference monitor” as it has 3khz gain dip, and 6khz sibilance dip, —a gain compensating tuning— it’s musically neutral, a soft anti-aliasing is applied sharp image borderlines to softer ones.

▶︎1BA+1DD simple composition wouldn’t go too wrong, technicality is that of 1BA+1DD, enough resolution for playing regular streaming musics, actually imaging belongs to quite good class, a very clean tuned neutral IEM

▶︎Detail 85% Dynamism 15%

▶︎Tonal Balance is actually close to my Bravery (PWA Legend II + H570) less 10khz+ amount of air and sub bass boost. Very light note touch and lean. Wave still has sizable amount of air, that was not present to KBEAR Lark, I certainly feel technology of 1BA+1DD has improved a lot over last recent years.
AAE1D13B-F2CD-403B-B6CC-B65EA568CFDE.png

▶︎For people looking a “spot on” imaging, may find else where, gain dippers are not for that spot on purpose, Ety, Droplet, HEXA would be a ”spot on” candidates depending on your preferred HRTF.

Timbre Impression
Top Note
: Clear yet euphoric Mid
Middle Note: Tight and Neutral and non-invasive overall Bass presentation.
Bottom Note: Delicate diffusion border and a hint of finesse

Nitpick: BA’s timbre is still that of Bellsing’s that I’m very familiar with, it’s getting a lot better, still you can tell “uh, ’tis Bellsing timbre”.

Recommendable to anyone looking a clean & neutral sounding IEM😄👍

This IEM works as intended right out of the box, no third party ear tips, cables needed.
Wave's graph looks similar to heart mirror. Heart mirror has an early roll off in the ultra high end.

Heart-Mirror-1024x514.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back