The discovery thread!
Mar 15, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #74,296 of 105,688
Sth got my attention with wf-1000xm4 is that when you volume up more than %80, it alters the sound that sounds like pre eq applied. I see this has been discussed by the folks in reddit. It looks like the loudness is not enough foe some users that I feel sorry for their ears actually. Because the loudness is more than enough. I believe the trick lays in the algorithm.

It doesn't matter if the Sony's app installed or not, the sound gets bloated. Starts having nasal midrange and weak bass with a huge mid bass when you go higher than 80%. I believe Sony has implemented this to protect the small driver for long term usage. It could be also done to avoid high battery discharge.

Considering the DD is reaching up to its physical limitations seems pretty much fair. However, it's clear to understand when you give preamp with an application like Poweramp Equalizer. I give 4.8 db preamp and it sound just fine. I use it with a volume around 60-70%.

It's interesting that some users go around of this issue by disabling the Bluetooth Absolute Volume from the developer settings. They keep the volume level around 80% in Sony's app and go full max with the phone's volume. I tried but disliked. The sound still gets distorted, the driver definitely has limitations. I believe Sony's QC is good. There are users sending it for an exchange due to the high battery consumption though but I see it's actually caused by the assistant they implemented. It constantly waits for an input via the microphone. Therefore, that tiny little battery won't last that long.

Mar 15, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #74,297 of 105,688
Wave's graph looks similar to heart mirror. Heart mirror has an early roll off in the ultra high end.

hmm it is for the most part! so does Simgot EA500 then.

I have heart mirror too, timbre impression is 180 degree different due to driver type as well as sibilance treatment.
5B1DA55A-5EB3-457B-B76E-F706905CA5F1.png

For me heart mirror cross the borderline of brightness, and belongs to unbearable IEM due to it’s CNT single dynamic driver, high energy treble is fatiguing. You can see 6kh sibilance gain compensation dip is very nuanced, and with CNT driver‘s solid timbre is barely worked to my treble sensitivity😅

Mar 15, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #74,298 of 105,688
hmm it is for the most part! so does Simgot EA500 then.

I have heart mirror too, timbre impression is 180 degree different due to driver type as well as sibilance treatment.

For me heart mirror cross the borderline of brightness, and belongs to unbearable IEM due to it’s CNT single dynamic driver, high energy treble is fatiguing. You can see 6kh sibilance gain compensation dip is very nuanced, and with CNT driver‘s solid timbre is barely worked to my treble sensitivity😅
Don't scare me with simgot :D

If it's borderline bright, I may end up not liking it. I have heart mirror too and I had to tame that peak with an EQ and give a little rumble in the bass section.

Mar 15, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #74,302 of 105,688
Sth got my attention with wf-1000xm4 is that when you volume up more than %80, it alters the sound that sounds like pre eq applied. I see this has been discussed by the folks in reddit. It looks like the loudness is not enough foe some users that I feel sorry for their ears actually. Because the loudness is more than enough. I believe the trick lays in the algorithm.

It doesn't matter if the Sony's app installed or not, the sound gets bloated. Starts having nasal midrange and weak bass with a huge mid bass when you go higher than 80%. I believe Sony has implemented this to protect the small driver for long term usage. It could be also done to avoid high battery discharge.

Considering the DD is reaching up to its physical limitations seems pretty much fair. However, it's clear to understand when you give preamp with an application like Poweramp Equalizer. I give 4.8 db preamp and it sound just fine. I use it with a volume around 60-70%.

It's interesting that some users go around of this issue by disabling the Bluetooth Absolute Volume from the developer settings. They keep the volume level around 80% in Sony's app and go full max with the phone's volume. I tried but disliked. The sound still gets distorted, the driver definitely has limitations. I believe Sony's QC is good. There are users sending it for an exchange due to the high battery consumption though but I see it's actually caused by the assistant they implemented. It constantly waits for an input via the microphone. Therefore, that tiny little battery won't last that long.
Hearing protection maybe?

They lowered treble & subbass when volume crossed a harmful line for long term listening session and resulting that perceived mid centric.

Mar 15, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #74,303 of 105,688
Tritium:
I have read and waited to say anything about this topic on this thread. But it seems the thread is full of disinformation, so alas I must say something. Tritium is radioactive, but the amount it disperses is almost nothing and not harmful at all in todays uses in watches or IEMs.

In fact the radium used on watch dials in the 1920s gave the ladies who painted it on cancer of the lips. This was due to how the paint brushes were put into their mouth to make a brush-tip. This is actually how we discovered radiation was harmful in the very first place......those watch dial painter ladies. Though well into the 1960s watch dials were still painted with Radium (Ra -226) or Promethium (Pm-147). It is not used today at all.

Thank-you. The radioactive elements of the TSMR TOTL IEM would not even be a cause for concern, like previously stated here?
At least by current standards, you can buy tritium tube key chains from ebay for $5 a piece, no regulations and I carried those radioactive key chains with various flights, security screening didn’t banned those key chains as well. I did a good study before buying that radioactive keychain, Yes, by current regulations and standards, it is been told beta radiation of H3 will not penetrate a thin paper or your skin.

The question is, knowing that IEM with 3 tubes of radioactive tubes, that is been told not going to harm human from an IEM shop that has leas than 100 employees at most, and with no guarantee in business continuities, and no former public hearing or class-action records, a company resided in China. Do you fully trust ”it’s fine” or would take extra caution not going to risk your cancer risk by small and weak radioactivity near your brain, eye, and ear..

Put ever-brilliant decoration is a brilliant idea though. If it was SONY, when marketing submit the concept, it most likely will be rejected from potential concern of using radioactive material close to your head whether health issue is not concerned, the stigma of “nuke” is the potential reputation risk if possibly avoidable unless otherwise cost and benefit balanced.

I’m not saying that thing is going to damage your DNA and going cause a cancer, but at least I’m providing a pre-cautions with given context.

If TSMR conducted certain regulatory certifications that proof utilization of 3 tritium tubes near your head for long period of exposure time will not harm you, and the government agency is fully responsible for any potential consequence, then there will be more credibility. As you do not ware your tritium watches on your head, and those watches are metal & glass caged. I’m not sure resin cover would do the same.

At this moment, there are no big bosses (TSMR? No a small IEM shop isn’t capable, distributor? No, financially incapable) that can take responsibility of any health concerns. They have warranty policy but that will only cover product itself, not end user’s physical conditions.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #74,304 of 105,688
Sennheiser IE 200 punch way above their weight. Such a fantastic pairing with the Questyle QP2R.

2X2A0734 (1).jpeg

Mar 15, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #74,307 of 105,688
Hearing protection maybe?

They lowered treble & subbass when volume crossed a harmful line for long term listening session and resulting that perceived mid centric.
Could be actually! I didn't think about that factor.

It's not sounding loud but changes the character entirely.

Mar 15, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #74,308 of 105,688
Cheap looking and needs cable and tip rolling to get the real performance. Premium price, budget issues lol
Err... not really things that I agree with.

Build is plastic, yes, but I have found it to be fairly robust. Stock cable is very serviceable, and as for tip rolling... I do that with $1500 IEMs too, let alone $150 ones. Not really a con, more of a personal thing. It's impossible for manufacturers to cater to every possible ear-shape with supplied tips. I happen to find the stock tips work just fine for me, as an aside.

This is budget pricing considering Sennheiser's lineup, and I'd pick these over any chi-fi alternatives in their price bracket.

Mar 15, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #74,309 of 105,688
Glad to see many head fiers find SR5 is really a thing.
Just got my SR05. Holy moly! Without any break in I can tell this thing is worth SOOOO much more than $150. I have the Gaea in on the tour and , IMHO , this little beauty smokes it in every way. I'll report back after break in. Thanks to all that made the discovery :pray: :pray: :pray:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back