The discovery thread!
Mar 14, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #74,236 of 104,598
I think it's enough to feel lucky not to spend my money on things that I consider stupid, of course, things that I don't consider stupid can be stupid for others... but, what can we do!!!

(whether there is science or not involved)

people who see me with my iem / buds connected to strange devices will think I'm crazy too!!!!
Indeed. Wired listeners are totally niche nowadays. At gym some even asked if is it a hearing aid 🤷‍♂️

Mar 14, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #74,238 of 104,598
I just publish my Kinera Skuld review here on headfi and my website.
These are niche tuning, for mid centric lover as well as tone-timbre lover. Smooth, lush, thick, neutralish with slight mid bass boost and mid range boost.
As always, im quite critical, but the truth is that i really love them since i find mids quite anemic or too recessed with 90% IEMs ive tested....so, its sure a good change!!

Pros:
-smooth neutral to mid centric balance
-thick and natural timbre
-beautifull male and female vocal
-good layering
-full bodied mid bass
-full bodied mid range
-intimate and holographic soundstage
-no sibilance no harshness non fatiguing
-fast yet mellow in impact bass
-permissive of hissy or bad recording
-splendid cratfmanship
-generous accessories

Cons:
-niche dark tonality
-average resolution
-rolled off sub bass
-average imaging
-rolled off treble
-foggy-euphonic definition and attack edge
-average technicalities
-not competitive sound value
12011688.jpg

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kinera-skuld-hand-painted-multi-ba-iems.25347/reviews#review-30381

Mar 14, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #74,239 of 104,598
https://www.linsoul.com/collections/all/products/yanyin-moonlight-ultra?variant=43821846724825

Yanyin Moonlight Ultra

4EST + 4BA + 1 Dynamic Driver Tribrid HiFi In-ear Earphones

• Medical Resin Shell, Ergonomic Design
  • 3 Tuning Switches, Changeable Collocation
  • Professional Crossover Technology
  • High Quality Upgraded Cable
  • *Disclaimer: Please kindly note that the outcome of the faceplate design may not look exactly like the images shown. The actual plug material of the stock cable may differ too.
Priced at $1289.00

—————————————————————————————

Priced at $149.00

https://penonaudio.com/sound-rhyme-sr5.html

Sound Rhyme SR5 4BA + 1 Dynamic Driver Hybrid 2Pin 0.78mm HiFi Audiophile In-ear Earphones IEMs

Description

Knowles 5 hybrid drivers

Polymer Nano dynamic

Patent four crossover scheme

3D printing of sound cavities

2pin 0.78mm connector

Ergonomic comfort to wear

3D printing resin integrated molding

ENVISIONTEC 3D printing equipment from Germany is constructed from PMMA acrylic fiber material with improved temperature and impact resistance.

10 drivers hybrid earphone, sound field and listening sense comprehensive improvement

Classic hybrid driver earphone, make innovation again.

Not only the appearance level, but the performance is more powerful

Distinctive functional configuration, fine to every detail, years of continuous research and development, give you the heavenly sound quality experience.

Knowles balanced armature

Medium frequency: use 2 Knowles 29689 balanced armature, improve voice resolution, medium frequency density balance, make earphone voice more sweet performance.

High frequency: Knowles 31736 composite dual balanced armature. The high frequency quality of the balanced armature is designed for the balanced armature HIFI earphone. The high frequency of the earphone is more transparent and the overtone is more obvious. Make high frequency mellow and smooth.

Innovative 3D printed bracket structure for powerful music enjoyment

The internal use of independent innovative 3D printing bracket structure, the use of reasonable acoustic principle to place the driver, thus greatly reducing distortion, lower harmonics, so that the earphone overall more stable.

Composite diaphragm dynamic

Low frequency: use of 10mm composite diaphragm dynamic driver, impedance 16Ω, use polymer PU composite diaphragm, N52 NdFeB shell gold-plated to improve magnetic flux, low frequency volume powerful, with a large dynamic music performance.

Silver-plated mixed cable for powerful music enjoyment

Distinctive functional configuration, fine to every detail, years of continuous research and development, give you the heavenly sound quality experience.

Carefully adjusted frequency response curve, in-ear design to reduce noise

The overall curve is audible and very natural. The vocals are rich in detail, soft and not stimulating. High frequency beautiful air sense is strong. Low frequency is just right, good elasticity, both listening and quality.

Comfortable to wear and easy to remove

The ergonomics deeply optimize the structure of the earphone, and the clever in-ear design makes the earcap better integrate with your ears. For a long time to wearing, is also comfortable.

Luminous effect

Timbre, color are double change. The use of 3D fluorescent material panels, absorbing ultraviolet light or sunlight, will be more elegant than changing the green light.

Specification

Model: SR5

Driver: 10mm composite diaphragm dynamic + 2 Knowles balanced armature 29689 + Knowles composite dual balanced armature 31736

Impedance: 16Ω

Frequency response: 20Hz-20kHz

Connector: 2pin 0.78mm

Plug: straight plug

Cable: silver-plated mixed cable

Package

Sound Rhyme SR5
Nice to see Penon start dealing Sound Rhyme👍

Mar 14, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #74,240 of 104,598
The lower one is the Sound Rhyme SR5 for $149.00. Though it shows two colors but only one color when ordering? 1 DD and 4 Knowles BAs!
I opened sound rhyme thread and you can see on the first post that difference color one is actually SR3, sloppy sales agent labeled that as SR5 and then the confusions spread across.

Here is the link for the first post:
Thread 'Sound Rhyme impression thread'
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sound-rhyme-impression-thread.966978/

Obviously Sound rhyme isn’t talented (I can say almost terribly lacking sense) in product line up management which also is another factor of chaos in products mixed up as well. They had SR4-144E which supposed to be EST tribrid, and suddenly it’s been renamed to DTE500 and 900 series.

Put those chaotic business handling, their tuning is good. And Penon’s $149 is a fair offer as the AE’s agent also inflated the asking from $139 to $149( Sound Rhyme official AE is now asking $161😩). Their taobao CDM price is obviously lower but that’s less accessible to majority of us. So considering merchant credibility, Penon did good job for offering SR5 at $149.

It’s well-worth that asking.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #74,243 of 104,598
I opened sound rhyme thread and you can see on the first post that difference color one is actually SR3, sloppy sales agent labeled that as SR5 and then the confusions spread across.

Here is the link for the first post:
Thread 'Sound Rhyme impression thread'
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sound-rhyme-impression-thread.966978/

Obviously Sound rhyme isn’t talented (I can say almost terribly lacking sense) in product line up management which also is another factor of chaos in products mixed up as well. They had SR4-144E which supposed to be EST tribrid, and suddenly it’s been renamed to DTE500 and 900 series.

Put those chaotic business handling, their tuning is good. And Penon’s $149 is a fair offer as the AE’s agent also inflated the asking from $139 to $149( Sound Rhyme official AE is now asking $161😩). Their taobao CDM price is obviously lower but that’s less accessible to majority of us. So considering merchant credibility, Penon did good job for offering SR5 at $149.

It’s well-worth that asking.
I trust Penon.

Mar 14, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #74,245 of 104,598
I see. SR5 runs fine in both. It’s just a personal preference that I like balanced one better, as it utilizes both DAC chips, if it’s available to use both chips, why not?

SE sound is just fine too.

Mar 14, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #74,246 of 104,598
Would you guys buy Sound Rhyme in the balanced or 3.5? I am guessing balanced.
If I can have balanced option, I will choose that one. Most of my sources sound better via balanced output by design.

Mar 14, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #74,247 of 104,598
If I can have balanced option, I will choose that one. Most of my sources sound better via balanced output by design.

Right. In general I hear very little difference in sound signature between balanced and single ended on most of my sources. However, balanced is essential on most of these same devices since it typically outputs more power than single ended. More power -> more headroom.

Mar 14, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #74,248 of 104,598
Right. In general I hear very little difference in sound signature between balanced and single ended on most of my sources. However, balanced is essential on most of these same devices since it typically outputs more power than single ended. More power -> more headroom.

I usually don't care that much either. If necessary, I'll listen to YouTube via the built in DAC of my Nintendo Switch.

I don't think all IEMs respond the same to whatever "more power" we provide it (I'm still struggling to understand why they sound difference between dongles and desktop setup). However, the Orchestra Lite with Shanling M6U provides a vivid example that balanced output can improve the sound quality, particularly the staging and separation. I speak with more confidence about this topic than usual because with a XINHS cable I've got recently, I can quickly switch between single ended and balance in less than 30 seconds, thus I can A/B test.

It's likely that the singled ended on M6u is noticeably worse than the balanced. I also noticed the same behaviour with Fiio BTR5 2019 and Hidizs AP80 Pro X. Still, balanced from AP80 Pro X still sounds worse than single ended of M6U or K7.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #74,249 of 104,598
New toy in the house, first time having a more full size DAP. HIBY R6 III and also got the green leather case free since I was early buyer 👌PXL_20230314_142956455~2.jpgPXL_20230314_143007192~2.jpg
That right there is a beautiful DAP. Now just cross your fingers on the battery behaving! May your listening experience be blessed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back