The discovery thread!
Mar 10, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #73,966 of 106,687
Just receive those 2 IEMs, the ISN D10 and Penon Fan2.
D10 is warm basshead, vibrant chunky slam with warm mids that are smooth with low pinna gain, no sibilance. A bit dark on top too...no a technical performance champ but very easy to enjoy. Fun, very bassy, natural tone.
Fan2 is very different, more mature crisp neutral with open and transparent mids, this time, its very impressive technical performance wise since imaging is crisp and very well layered, bass seem fast, punchy, well textured but not basshead at all...i was expecting deeper extension with 2DD but their like 30min burn in for now so ill hold off impressions, yet, definition, speed and texture seem very good. Mids are surprising, very clear and detailed, i tend to love sonion BA mids and these are no exception, female vocal presence is foward, clean but smooth and not thin nor ultra thick, just right, and this treble is very balanced, clean and snappy too...anyway...didnt plan share impressions right now just my joy to get those since both aren't bad sounding and complement well each other.
333781723_223082853561544_7476855011370218373_n.jpg
Using the word mature to describe the Fan 2 is such a perfect description. The Fan 2 is indeed a very mature but fun IEM. Congrats and enjoy 🤝

Mar 10, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #73,967 of 106,687
I've recently managed to find a Sony MH750 from a local seller for such a ridiculous cheap price. Luckily it turned out to be original and I'm simply enjoying them.

20230310_151414.jpg

Slightly dark but also spacious. I would expect that they will sound tiny but they don't. They take slight EQing as well. They need some juice and I believe the cable plays a big factor with resistance...

I also previously got Sony wf-1000xm4 and I'm in love with them.
The sound quality they managed to get from that tiny 6mm driver is amazing. That also makes me think if mh750's driver somehow contributed to development of wf-1000xm4's driver. I don't know and I might be wrong. But sony had experience with small DDs thanks to that I believe.

They managed to get the holographic soundstage, the technicalities and especially that deep quality Sony bass. Especially the bass. This gets my attention on MH750 as well that these DDs rumble differently. I can definitely say that that's not a big bass but quality is there, it can reach deeper. The moment I think 'now it reached to its limit', it goes deeper.

For example, I have Samsung Galaxy buds pro as well. There's one DD and a tweeter. Even though the DD bigger than Sony's, doesn't reach that deep. And Sony's single DD seems to deal with all across frequency range better than Samsung's implementation. Of course there's a codec situation and many other factors but I'm simply focusing on what has been achieved with what they have. I don't like the ultra high-end coming from Buds Pro, it sounds unnatural. wf-1000xm4 sounds more natural and extends better despite being a single DD.

App UI, functionalities seems to be better with Samsung. Sony's app is pissing me. Seems too messy but anyways I'm using them for the sound. I also have better fit with Sony. Buds were falling from the ears during workout, really annoying.

Having calls is better with Buds and they have better microphone. Ambient sound is better on Buds and I believe the way they located microphone plays a big role here. ANC is clearly better on Sony. Sony packed more functionalities to those small housing. Hiwevy, using those functions come at a cost and drains they battery like crazy.

Trying to be a neutralist myself, I started to like bass more thanks to Sony. I'm so curious about the bass performance of ier-z1r for example because it gets all praises with the bass first and soundstage. Very curious.

Interesting thing is that I also remembered that I started my hobby back in 2009 with Sony mdr-ex300sl.

I gguess I'll be chasing some of the other Sony IEMs in the higher range in the future.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #73,968 of 106,687
Buying a set of IEMs for 4$ and running them on 699$ dap. Funny I know :)

Mar 10, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #73,969 of 106,687
Hey, it’s a 2 pin Campfire Ara (Ara)

That amount if treble around 10kHz is … interesting. I can’t recall the last time I see that much 10k.
ara ara😄

Ikr, the 10khz lift of that level isn’t measurement artifac, I can hear it as a form of super air. One of the reason I recommend new ZS5 for EDM is that part + 2DD beat & bass vibes does a great job for electronically mixed tracks👏

KZ is like Hyundai in automotive, they used to be called as “running coffins“ but now Hyundai actually makes quasi-Honda class cars like Genesis brand of Hyundai. Stereo type of old KZ is biding them to “classy chifi” sound.

like Hyundai & Genesis, KZ may need a premium brand. KZ emblem earned too many stigmas.

Mar 10, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #73,970 of 106,687
Using the word mature to describe the Fan 2 is such a perfect description. The Fan 2 is indeed a very mature but fun IEM. Congrats and enjoy 🤝
yes, well...we can say maturely balanced since it doesnt lack bass, mids or treble presence...im very impress by those. especially with Hiby RS6 DAP but with Moondrop Dawn 4.4 at low gain it great too. i find the blue eartips perfect for those too, spatiality is very open, deep and holographic with those...ok, lets share another pic cause maaaaaaaaaaan are those sexy enh?!
happy you enjoy them too mate!
334942940_597140441966928_7873757083193820185_n.jpg

335084596_146834431620377_5074169718286574403_n.jpg

Mar 10, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #73,971 of 106,687
The original ZS5. The great disappointment. From that point forward, I stopped sinking pennies into KZ, until my recent purchase of the Linglong. That ZS5 was just a load of poop.
Yea original ZS5 the green one, has old KZ V-tuning which is very picky about audience, especially that 2-3khz pinna gain level hit followed by huge dive 4-7khz.
4F2957CC-4F37-4725-A902-9E30ECEECE50.png

Mar 10, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #73,972 of 106,687
yes, well...we can say maturely balanced since it doesnt lack bass, mids or treble presence...im very impress by those. especially with Hiby RS6 DAP but with Moondrop Dawn 4.4 at low gain it great too. i find the blue eartips perfect for those too, spatiality is very open, deep and holographic with those...ok, lets share another pic cause maaaaaaaaaaan are those sexy enh?!
happy you enjoy them too mate!
334942940_597140441966928_7873757083193820185_n.jpg

335084596_146834431620377_5074169718286574403_n.jpg
Absolutely one of the prettiest faceplate designs Penon has released in recent memory. I don’t own a pair but I got an extended listen of a pair thanks to my buddy, @gooberbm. I know he holds them up in high regard and I agree - they’re a very nice IEM, just as long as you can get the fit right - the nozzles are pretty… intrusive, let’s just say that 😅

Mar 10, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #73,973 of 106,687
Absolutely one of the prettiest faceplate designs Penon has released in recent memory. I don’t own a pair but I got an extended listen of a pair thanks to my buddy, @gooberbm. I know he holds them up in high regard and I agree - they’re a very nice IEM, just as long as you can get the fit right - the nozzles are pretty… intrusive, let’s just say that 😅
I never had problems with depth, but the off angle fit did throw me off. Works for my brother so they are over there now 😉. Awesome w shaped tuning. Love the unique design also.PXL_20221211_165433299.jpg

Mar 10, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #73,974 of 106,687
Buying a set of IEMs for 4$ and running them on 699$ dap. Funny I know :)
Hey, I've got $30 IEMs I'm running on a $6000 DAP!

Mar 10, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #73,975 of 106,687
Mar 10, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #73,977 of 106,687
Nah…I have both Heart Mirror and Droplet, 180 degree different animals.

FR only tells 50% of how they sound, this is a very good example, they sound chalk and cheese. HeartMirror to the best it could only go grade C, shouty hell, an IEM for treble-insensitive folks.
I think he's talking about the Droplet sans the DPS being similar to the HM, not the stock formation.

Mar 10, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #73,978 of 106,687
I've recently managed to find a Sony MH750 from a local seller for such a ridiculous cheap price. Luckily it turned out to be original and I'm simply enjoying them.

20230310_151414.jpg

Slightly dark but also spacious. I would expect that they will sound tiny but they don't. They take slight EQing as well. They need some juice and I believe the cable plays a big factor with resistance...

I also previously got Sony wf-1000xm4 and I'm in love with them.
The sound quality they managed to get from that tiny 6mm driver is amazing. That also makes me think if mh750's driver somehow contributed to development of wf-1000xm4's driver. I don't know and I might be wrong. But sony had experience with small DDs thanks to that I believe.

They managed to get the holographic soundstage, the technicalities and especially that deep quality Sony bass. Especially the bass. This gets my attention on MH750 as well that these DDs rumble differently. I can definitely say that that's not a big bass but quality is there, it can reach deeper. The moment I think 'now it reached to its limit', it goes deeper.

For example, I have Samsung Galaxy buds pro as well. There's one DD and a tweeter. Even though the DD bigger than Sony's, doesn't reach that deep. And Sony's single DD seems to deal with all across frequency range better than Samsung's implementation. Of course there's a codec situation and many other factors but I'm simply focusing on what has been achieved with what they have. I don't like the ultra high-end coming from Buds Pro, it sounds unnatural. wf-1000xm4 sounds more natural and extends better despite being a single DD.

App UI, functionalities seems to be better with Samsung. Sony's app is pissing me. Seems too messy but anyways I'm using them for the sound. I also have better fit with Sony. Buds were falling from the ears during workout, really annoying.

Having calls is better with Buds and they have better microphone. Ambient sound is better on Buds and I believe the way they located microphone plays a big role here. ANC is clearly better on Sony. Sony packed more functionalities to those small housing. Hiwevy, using those functions come at a cost and drains they battery like crazy.

Trying to be a neutralist myself, I started to like bass more thanks to Sony. I'm so curious about the bass performance of ier-z1r for example because it gets all praises with the bass first and soundstage. Very curious.

Interesting thing is that I also remembered that I started my hobby back in 2009 with Sony mdr-ex300sl.

I gguess I'll be chasing some of the other Sony IEMs in the higher range in the future.
I just pulled mine out last week and took them for a ride. It was an enjoyable evening and I never leave disappointed, but they always end up going back in the wooden box. Maybe pull them out for another spin in about 6 months. Will enjoy them at that time too.

Mar 10, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #73,979 of 106,687
Had the chance to audition two of the more "hyped" IEMs in the current market: Truthear Hexa, and AFUL Performer 5.

FIrst up: the Hexa.

This one has a truly impressive spec-sheet given the modest price tag. A quad-driver hybrid setup is rare under the USD$100 mark, and Truthear achieves that. More importantly, they manage to make it all sound somewhat coherent, which is not a simple task.

The build is nice, stock cable is decent, and comfort is good. Then we get to the sound.

The bass is somewhat soft and lacks the dynamism I expect from a... dynamic driver. The mids are inoffensive, so is the treble, but all of it sounds overdampened. Transients are on the mushier side of things, and stage feels congested. Imaging is also not a strong suite.

For the asking price, not bad at all, but not as "groundbreaking" as some of the reviews made them to be.

2X2A0665.jpeg

Next: AFUL Performer 5.

I am not gonna bother with the low-hanging fruit of a pun involving the name, so let's get straight to the build and comfort. Build is good, the resin shell is high quality and while the artwork is nothing spectacular, I think the gold letterings mesh well with the faceplate design. Comfort can be a bit of a mixed bag as the shell is quite large. It worked for me, but for smaller ear canals might not be the case.

As for the sound, this is a five-driver hybrid with 4BA and 1DD. Sadly, the bass does not sound like a good DD bass should. The sub bass has decent rumble but that's about it. Mid-bass sounds hollow. Vocals, on the other hand, are very good. Male vocals could be a bit fuller but the female vocals are as good as it gets in this price. No shoutiness and well articulated. Strings sounded decent as well.

Staging is intimate. Imaging was mostly left and right. Macrodynamic punch felt lacking due to the hollowness in the mid-bass.

2X2A0661.jpeg

To summarize: the Performer5 are not "bad" per se, and with vocal-centric tracks I find them fairly good. But I think these aren't very versatile, so depending on genres, you may find the Performer 5 lacking.

As for the Hexa, not bad at all, but again - the presentation is flat and does not quite engage as much as the Dunu Kima or Final E3000. Your mileage may vary depending on source and tracks of course.

Mar 10, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #73,980 of 106,687
Had the chance to audition two of the more "hyped" IEMs in the current market: Truthear Hexa, and AFUL Performer 5.

FIrst up: the Hexa.

This one has a truly impressive spec-sheet given the modest price tag. A quad-driver hybrid setup is rare under the USD$100 mark, and Truthear achieves that. More importantly, they manage to make it all sound somewhat coherent, which is not a simple task.

The build is nice, stock cable is decent, and comfort is good. Then we get to the sound.

The bass is somewhat soft and lacks the dynamism I expect from a... dynamic driver. The mids are inoffensive, so is the treble, but all of it sounds overdampened. Transients are on the mushier side of things, and stage feels congested. Imaging is also not a strong suite.

For the asking price, not bad at all, but not as "groundbreaking" as some of the reviews made them to be.

Next: AFUL Performer 5.

I am not gonna bother with the low-hanging fruit of a pun involving the name, so let's get straight to the build and comfort. Build is good, the resin shell is high quality and while the artwork is nothing spectacular, I think the gold letterings mesh well with the faceplate design. Comfort can be a bit of a mixed bag as the shell is quite large. It worked for me, but for smaller ear canals might not be the case.

As for the sound, this is a five-driver hybrid with 4BA and 1DD. Sadly, the bass does not sound like a good DD bass should. The sub bass has decent rumble but that's about it. Mid-bass sounds hollow. Vocals, on the other hand, are very good. Male vocals could be a bit fuller but the female vocals are as good as it gets in this price. No shoutiness and well articulated. Strings sounded decent as well.

Staging is intimate. Imaging was mostly left and right. Macrodynamic punch felt lacking due to the hollowness in the mid-bass.

To summarize: the Performer5 are not "bad" per se, and with vocal-centric tracks I find them fairly good. But I think these aren't very versatile, so depending on genres, you may find the Performer 5 lacking.

As for the Hexa, not bad at all, but again - the presentation is flat and does not quite engage as much as the Dunu Kima or Final E3000. Your mileage may vary depending on source and tracks of course.
HEXA is 70%:30% Detail | Dynamism, and as you probably are more inclined to dynamism side from your IEM favorites, it is understandable that HEXA wasn’t your cup of tea.

YMMV, but majority of market says different opinion on HEXA.

2023 CQ1
463E11FD-B96F-4F75-A61F-0774772874F2.jpeg

C14791CA-2A17-4C69-90B3-744159CDA2A9.jpeg
E1123B6D-542A-411E-80C0-75A162444C4D.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back