The discovery thread!
Dec 13, 2022 at 12:43 AM Post #68,836 of 104,561
Lasya is pretty much at the top of my 2023 list - was very impressed by the Hela, so will be keeping my eye out for a Lasya offer.
@Ace Bee - your review is on the product page on Hiby's site :)
FR looks interesting, bass focused somewhat peak avoiding unique tuning.

Hiby Lasya
7ABC320D-1343-4166-8C0E-E0A259FB41CD.jpeg

If only that price tag for single CNT DD was like $50, I’d definitely give it a try. $199 for CNT nowadays is a tough one to offer. Hiby needs to reconsider their pricing strategy if they really meant to show presence in IEMs.

Dec 13, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #68,837 of 104,561
Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #68,838 of 104,561

Hiby Lasya

If only that price tag for single CNT DD was like $50, I’d definitely give it a try. $199 for CNT nowadays is a tough one to offer. Hiby needs to reconsider their pricing strategy if they really meant to show presence in IEMs.

It would be one thing if they were claiming some sort of advanced shell tech like Sennheiser's acoustic chambers and channels in their latest ie series stuff, but from what I have seen they don't seem to be claiming that. I'm interested to hear it based on what some folks here have said, but $199 for a CNT single DD that even those reviewing it positively aren't claiming to be some technical monster seems a bit much. I mean, you can get a well tuned, smooth presentation single DD for a lot less these days.

Maybe I'm missing something though...

Dec 13, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #68,839 of 104,561
IMHO, it's not the cable, but the design of your DAC/amp. Some portable sources simply sound better from balanced output because the way they are designed. However, if you have something like Topping G5, then balanced cable has no use because the amp is not truely balanced (4.4 is there for convenience, not because the amp is balanced). The reason I mentioned 4.4mm cable is because they are not expensive nowadays (search for XINHS cable on AE), the jack is durable, and you likely have slightly better sound. "Better" in this case means larger soundstage imaging and perhaps slightly sharper note attacks. Again, all of this improvement depends on your source, not a general rule.

My only balanced source is an inexpensive Jcally AP10. I like the AP10 but I don't imagine it compares with a balanced desktop source. Still, maybe I'll spring for a balanced MMCX cable.

Dec 13, 2022 at 1:01 AM Post #68,840 of 104,561
Dec 13, 2022 at 1:03 AM Post #68,841 of 104,561
Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #68,842 of 104,561

Hiby Lasya

That graph cannot be any further from the truth. VSG from TechPowerUp reviewed the Hiby Lasya, and measured it. Here is the graph:

graph.png

As you can see, it most definitely is not bass focused. Overall a highly balanced sound, and even though the 8khz spike looks scary, there is absolutely zero discomfort, no piercing at all. I have covered it in my review. That 8khz spike helps to make the cymbal crashes clear, but not piercing or rough.

As for the price tag of $199 for a single CNT DD...well, let me tell you something - the price is justified by the sound, not the diaphragm material. The Moondrop Aria 2021 has an LCP DD, the MIROAK-S has an LCP DD...do they sound similar? Far from it. There are now fairly affordable iems with Berylliyum plated DD, but I can assure you a $100 beryllium plated DD is not going to outperform the $199 Hiby Lasya's CNT DD. The magic is in the tuning, and how to get the best of the DD. My 634EARS LOAK-T(CL) has a generic PU DD. I could not believe that a $600 iem will have such a generic PU DD...but the sound it produces is most certainly worthy of its price tag. And this is why my flawed belief, that to sound good a DD must have some exotic material, or that a IEM should cost so much if only the DD has such and such diaphragm, has entirely gone away, for the better.

@AmericanSpirit thanks man. I have an uncontrollable urge to unearth the hidden treasures rather than to go for the latest hype...in fact, often I have discovered that I am more pleased with my own discoveries than the hyped ones that came to me. Even right now another pretty much overlooked single DD from a quite reputed brand is on its way to me (nabbed a terrific deal from the classifieds), and trying to get another deal on another single DD from a cable manufacturer.

It would be one thing if they were claiming some sort of advanced shell tech like Sennheiser's acoustic chambers and channels in their latest ie series stuff, but from what I have seen they don't seem to be claiming that. I'm interested to hear it based on what some folks here have said, but $199 for a CNT single DD that even those reviewing it positively aren't claiming to be some technical monster seems a bit much. I mean, you can get a well tuned, smooth presentation single DD for a lot less these days.

Maybe I'm missing something though...
Again, as I told, refer to the graph I posted, not Hiby's official graph. That one is totally wrong. And I do not know if you have heard the Moondrop KATO, or BQEYZ Autumn, but Lasya sounds better than both of them. I consider KATO as a detail monster, and absolutely unlisteneable to my ears. Lasya sounds more controlled, slightly smoothened out, and yet quite technical. Compared to Autumn, well, Lasya sounds like a technical monster.
Yes, Planar iems, like Timeless and S12, may belt out more details in the treble with a more metallic sheen, but ultimately they do not sound natural to my ears - lacks note weight. Lasya has no such drawbacks as well. I might sound like shilling it, but it genuinely is a very very competent single DD, that sounds better and more complete, matured and refined than many other single DD, Hybrid, Planar, etc. in a similar budget.

Lasya is pretty much at the top of my 2023 list - was very impressed by the Hela, so will be keeping my eye out for a Lasya offer.
@Ace Bee - your review is on the product page on Hiby's site :)
Would you believe it....the Lasya was on sale for $129.99 during the Black Friday sale. Steal was an understatement for it.

Dec 13, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #68,843 of 104,561
i just unbox KZ PR1 Pro who supposedly retail at $80.
and its uuh... its tiny and very sparse. the iem, 1 slightly better cable, and 3 set of foam eartips.

no case or silicon eartips.
who is the madman give a foam eartips and no case...
i don't quite need it to be needlessly luxurious but at least give us a case
ZEXPro launch edition was given with a case, foam and silicon eartips for $30.

Tripowin Mele style box would be nice.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #68,844 of 104,561
That graph cannot be any further from the truth. VSG from TechPowerUp reviewed the Hiby Lasya, and measured it. Here is the graph:

As you can see, it most definitely is not bass focused. Overall a highly balanced sound, and even though the 8khz spike looks scary, there is absolutely zero discomfort, no piercing at all. I have covered it in my review. That 8khz spike helps to make the cymbal crashes clear, but not piercing or rough.

As for the price tag of $199 for a single CNT DD...well, let me tell you something - the price is justified by the sound, not the diaphragm material. The Moondrop Aria 2021 has an LCP DD, the MIROAK-S has an LCP DD...do they sound similar? Far from it. There are now fairly affordable iems with Berylliyum plated DD, but I can assure you a $100 beryllium plated DD is not going to outperform the $199 Hiby Lasya's CNT DD. The magic is in the tuning, and how to get the best of the DD. My 634EARS LOAK-T(CL) has a generic PU DD. I could not believe that a $600 iem will have such a generic PU DD...but the sound it produces is most certainly worthy of its price tag. And this is why my flawed belief, that to sound good a DD must have some exotic material, or that a IEM should cost so much if only the DD has such and such diaphragm, has entirely gone away, for the better.

@AmericanSpirit thanks man. I have an uncontrollable urge to unearth the hidden treasures rather than to go for the latest hype...in fact, often I have discovered that I am more pleased with my own discoveries than the hyped ones that came to me. Even right now another pretty much overlooked single DD from a quite reputed brand is on its way to me (nabbed a terrific deal from the classifieds), and trying to get another deal on another single DD from a cable manufacturer.

Again, as I told, refer to the graph I posted, not Hiby's official graph. That one is totally wrong. And I do not know if you have heard the Moondrop KATO, or BQEYZ Autumn, but Lasya sounds better than both of them. I consider KATO as a detail monster, and absolutely unlisteneable to my ears. Lasya sounds more controlled, slightly smoothened out, and yet quite technical. Compared to Autumn, well, Lasya sounds like a technical monster.
Yes, Planar iems, like Timeless and S12, may belt out more details in the treble with a more metallic sheen, but ultimately they do not sound natural to my ears - lacks note weight. Lasya has no such drawbacks as well. I might sound like shilling it, but it genuinely is a very very competent single DD, that sounds better and more complete, matured and refined than many other single DD, Hybrid, Planar, etc. in a similar budget.

Would you believe it....the Lasya was on sale for $129.99 during the Black Friday sale. Steal was an understatement for it.

I've already read your review and had my interest piqued. You don't have to sell it to me. I'm one if the guys that genuinely appreciates what an expertly tuned single DD can do and I'm in the middle of a hunt for an elite one. I just resold a couple and I have a Zen Pro in the way as the next to try based on several recs from dudes here.

I wasn't at all trying to challenge your assessment. I was actually trying to say that they must have something special to them to have gotten someone experienced to show such passion and confidence in backing then. FWIW, yes I have heard the Kato and, while I find it likeable enough, I think it's overpriced for what it is. Also, I wasn't trying to compare planars and DDs. My reference to detail was only made because you've refereed to them as slightly smoothed out so all I was saying was that the reviewers, including you, seem to think that they aren't technical monsters, but that they're still worth it.

I didn't mean to make you defensive as I thought what I had to say was generally an acknowledgement of my interest being piqued when it otherwise wouldn't have been BECAUSE of your opinion on the Lasya and my respect for your opinion since you seem to be relatively level headed as a reviewer. Sorry if that wasn't immediately clear. I suppose I'll have to be more careful with how I word things from now on.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #68,845 of 104,561
graph.png

I’ll challenge it. No disrespect, just my opinion based on the graph alone. Bass keeps dipping into the mids and doesn’t hit ground level which causes bleed. 4k emphasis means no smooth vocals and dipped 5k in relation means treble loses coherency. The treble peak could very well be refined but is still not ideal because most music doesn’t have great mastering. That said, the extension is good, so it will mesh a bit better with rest of the range making perception of piercing less so.

Dec 13, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #68,846 of 104,561
I’ll challenge it. No disrespect, just my opinion based on the graph alone. Bass keeps dipping into the mids and doesn’t hit ground level which causes bleed. 4k emphasis means no smooth vocals and dipped 5k in relation means treble loses coherency. The treble peak could very well be refined but is still not ideal because most music doesn’t have great mastering. That said, the extension is good, so it will mesh a bit better with rest of the range making perception of piercing less so.

To be fair, that bass tuning is no different from Blessing 2, and objective folks talk about Blessing 2 tuning like it’s blessing from heaven, perhaps beside the treble region. If the technical performance is good, I have no doubt why our friend thinks so highly of these IEMs.

Dec 13, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #68,847 of 104,561
I've already read your review and had my interest piqued. You don't have to sell it to me. I'm one if the guys that genuinely appreciates what an expertly tuned single DD can do and I'm in the middle of a hunt for an elite one. I just resold a couple and I have a Zen Pro in the way as the next to try based on several recs from dudes here.

I wasn't at all trying to challenge your assessment. I was actually trying to say that they must have something special to them to have gotten someone experienced to show such passion and confidence in backing then. FWIW, yes I have heard the Kato and, while I find it likeable enough, I think it's overpriced for what it is. Also, I wasn't trying to compare planars and DDs. My reference to detail was only made because you've refereed to them as slightly smoothed out so all I was saying was that the reviewers, including you, seem to think that they aren't technical monsters, but that they're still worth it.

I didn't mean to make you defensive as I thought what I had to say was generally an acknowledgement of my interest being piqued when it otherwise wouldn't have been BECAUSE of your opinion on the Lasya and my reapect for your opinion since you seem to be relatively level headed as a reviewer. Sorry if that wasn't immediately clear. I suppose I'll have to be more careful with how I word things from now on.
Ah hahaha, my bad, I genuinely misunderstood there. Sorry for that, and yeah I can see how I acted highly defensively and in a somewhat over-the-top manner...kinda looks like I lost my cool. I apologise for that, I just got overly passionate. I generally prefer to keep my emotions in check and try to be as honest as possible without sounding offensive :) . Same I try to do for reviewing also, unless something captures my heart too much.

Man, if you were in India, I would have immediately shipped my Lasya to you so that you can listen yourself and confirm whether your visual analysis matches with your listening experience. About that dipped 5khz, I have found out that somewhat controls the uncomfortable sibilance in male and female vocals. Never experienced any negative effect of that on the treble.

To be fair, that bass tuning is no different from Blessing 2, and objective folks talk about Blessing 2 tuning like it’s blessing from heaven, perhaps beside the treble region. If the technical performance is good, I have no doubt why our friend thinks so highly of these IEMs.
:grin: Now this will be a contradiction, but I absolutely hated the Blessing 2. You can read my review on it, I did it when I was still a beginner. The bass was very dry and sounded incomplete. Lasya definitely does not sound like that.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #68,849 of 104,561
Man, if you were in India, I would have immediately shipped my Lasya to you so that you can listen yourself and confirm whether your visual analysis matches with your listening experience. About that dipped 5khz, I have found out that somewhat controls the uncomfortable sibilance on male and female vocals. Never experienced any negative effect of that on the treble.
Haha I appreciate the thought! I agree 5k needs to start dipping but you don’t want 4k to be strong either cuz that’s where treble starts in my experience. You want realistic vocals? Start declining the upper mid peak around 3k or if I were to nitpick, right before it, otherwise you’ll get a sense of digitization.

Dec 13, 2022 at 2:59 AM Post #68,850 of 104,561
Ah hahaha, my bad, I genuinely misunderstood there. Sorry for that, and yeah I can see how I acted highly defensively and in a somewhat over-the-top manner...kinda looks like I lost my cool. I apologise for that, I just got overly passionate. I generally prefer to keep my emotions in check and try to be as honest as possible without sounding offensive :) . Same I try to do for reviewing also, unless something captures my heart too much.

Man, if you were in India, I would have immediately shipped my Lasya to you so that you can listen yourself and confirm whether your visual analysis matches with your listening experience. About that dipped 5khz, I have found out that somewhat controls the uncomfortable sibilance in male and female vocals. Never experienced any negative effect of that on the treble.

:grin: Now this will be a contradiction, but I absolutely hated the Blessing 2. You can read my review on it, I did it when I was still a beginner. The bass was very dry and sounded incomplete. Lasya definitely does not sound like that.

No worries. Like I said, I could have worded my post better. As far as letting passions get carried away, it happens to all of us. It's part of the human condition I'm afraid. As they say, "no harm, no foul." If I get a chance to try these or catch them on sale I'm gonna have to give them a run now that you have my curiosity going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back