The discovery thread!
Dec 12, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #68,822 of 101,617
My advice would be to buy a CRA and nothing else. Live with it for a month and then come back and tell us what you do and don't like about it.
If it doesn't work well for certain parts of your library or really isn't your cup of tea, then suggestions can be made to fill the gap or alternatives to try.
Find your preferred signature with cheap gear before reaching higher up.

You never know, you might be 100% happy with the CRA and feel no need to buy anything else. Budget chifi has come a long way in the last few years, so you may be surpised by how good they are.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #68,823 of 101,617
My advice would be to buy a CRA and nothing else.
This is fabulous advice. Many people with some cash in their pocket (me included) can’t be bothered to be patient. But man, this is great advice.

I’ll actually say something perhaps controversial on the “discovery” thread. Another great starting point is the ER2SE. It’s not chi-fi, it’s not new, and you might hate how it feels so much that you can’t stand it. But for some people it is truly the end of the line (they go bigger and come back), and for $70 that’s hard to find. And, much like the HD6xx in open-backs, it’s a reference. If you can say what you dig and what you don’t, people can give you steer. The CRA is a great starting point, and 1/3 the price. But a lot of people skip the Etymotics, and they really really shouldn’t.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #68,826 of 101,617
KZ new pokemon, KZ ZNA ($22, 1 unit 12mm DD, 1 unit custom 30095 BA)
New DD and new Eartips, a updated KZ Whirlwind apparently

1670903504274.png
1670903484470.png

----
Also early impression, didn't know who these people are, so salt and all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjwYQ9faANc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdPBRFLuUWM

---
the new DD footnote,

---

More focused design footnote

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #68,827 of 101,617
How many of you would buy the Westone W80 v3 for 399.00?
If it means you can’t afford to buy the Timeless 7Hz or Dunu Talos, then no not me.

Dec 12, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #68,828 of 101,617
How many of you would buy the Westone W80 v3 for 399.00?
You will need additional ear tips, mmcx cable to have W80 to sound modern. From 399+ tax, you will have a warm and laid back sounding mellow IEM. I guess many audiences will feel that tuning “muddy”.

It’s like Rolls-Royce. Smooth and relaxed but it’s not for race tracks.

Once you retune W80, it’s F-1 spec. Very high technicalities especially for mid-range, and it has great layering and texturing for treble.

My only nitpick for W80, as Crinacle also mentioned “could sound dry”, it has a certain peak around treble region that gives a sense of resolution but some may feel that peak as “dry” tonality. Which will stay there unless you physically equalize the region.

For $400 a well equipped high-end 8BA, with warm tuning, it a fair offer IMO. Not deal breaking, but not ridiculously high as well. You see Moondrop offers same spec 8BA for $699(on sale $594).

The overall package for Westone’s flagship W80, I have to be honest, is “cheap”. Compared to what you can see from AKG’s flagship N5005. basic carrying box, cheap cable that I can’t tell the difference between KZ’s $6 EDX, and all other packages are not premium feeling. If I get that for original MRSP $1,500, I will be depressed for sure.

I got W80 not for cost-to-performance, I wasn’t expecting that, but for “last of the once-glorious Westone Audio’s “W” series Flagship, which is replaced with differently tuned another series. For historical and monumental piece of collectibles, because Westone is one of who inspired me into this IEM world. A sentimental nostalgia it was. It happened to be a good one if retuned, that’s it. I bet not many would feel to pay any $400 for “warm-mellow” tuning, where if you got $400, you can buy HEXA, Aria, Wu Zetian, and maybe E1DA amp altogether.

W80 is for someone who had most varieties of collections from extreme V to dark-black hole, and looking for some afternoon tea time break accompany. Not a go-to pick for the all-rounder IMHO.

Hope you find that N5005 would be your endgame👍

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 11:29 PM Post #68,831 of 101,617
Then maybe a better question is what is the best all-rounder iem under 500 dollars?
Let me give you some suggestions, which will be different than everyone, simply because not a lot of people have heard it.

The best iem under $500 that I have experienced is 634EARS MIROAK-S. A japanese iem, you have to contact them via instagram, where they are very much active...although I like to believe I interact with the proprietor, Musashi Saita San, there, but I am not sure, neither have I confirmed. It is a single DD, LCP diaphragm. To my ears it is one of the best all-rounder iem. I also compared it to Softears RSV and found the MIROAK-S superior. Yeah, RSV had a bit bigger note in the midrange and fatter midbass slam, but that was all. MIROAK-S sounded more airy, with a fuller subbass and more controlled yet punchy midbass, slightly smaller midrange note, but still quite realistic and airy with plenty of details, and, in comparison to RSV, a brilliant treble with sufficient energy and extension. Now, it is a balanced iem, so neither the treble pierces or sparkles with over the top brightness, nor does the bass slams thunderously. However, the complete sound is so much matured that I really have yet to find anything better than this around $400. Its list price is $420, but if you buy B-Stock, it can be availed for much less. Contact him via instagram to find out B-stock availability and price.
I have heard the Dunu Vulkan also, and from memory, I could not find it being anything special. The midrange did not sound engaging enough, the top end sounded rather dull, and the low end was also a bit controlled.

Now, let's say you want a solid option at around $200. Again, balanced, but still dynamic sounding. No peaks, but enough sparkles and bites in the notes, full sounding bass and yet slightly controlled, open and spacious presentation...I give you Hiby Lasya. I have reviewed BQEYZ Autumn, Moondrop Kato, 7Hertz Timeless, See Audio Bravery...and absolutely nothing comes close to it in regard to holistic performance. Yeah, KATO and Timeless might sound more detailed thanks to their sharper notes, but if you give the time you will find Lasya has all those details as well, just not immediately jumping at you like them. Lasya feels more matured, refined, and complete. @gadgetgod can attest to that. I have not heard BQEYZ Winter, so I am not sure how that holds up to Lasya. @gadgetgod has listened to both, he might provide you with more details.

In case you decide to go with Lasya, you will still have some cash left. Let's take something with a different presentation - with more bites, more sparkles, more transparency. You can take either Penon Vortex, if you love fuller and bigger and highly textured notes, fast and punchy bass, and intimate soundstage. Or you can take MEAOES Eagle, if you want a vastly spacious sound, lots more energy and sparkle in the top end, highly transparent midrange, although slightly leaner notes, and a slightly more powerful low end but still controlled.

If you are taking both the Hiby Lasya and Penon Vortex / MEAOES Eagle, you will still have some cash left. Get a Shanling UA3. It's marvelous! The high end gets a bit controlled, but the low end is fuller sounding, and the stage has a very nice depth added - elevating the imaging noticeably.

There you go, my 5 cents :wink:

Dec 13, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #68,833 of 101,617
Lasya is pretty much at the top of my 2023 list - was very impressed by the Hela, so will be keeping my eye out for a Lasya offer.
@Ace Bee - your review is on the product page on Hiby's site :)

Dec 13, 2022 at 12:36 AM Post #68,834 of 101,617
Let me give you some suggestions, which will be different than everyone, simply because not a lot of people have heard it.

The best iem under $500 that I have experienced is 634EARS MIROAK-S. A japanese iem, you have to contact them via instagram, where they are very much active...although I like to believe I interact with the proprietor, Musashi Saita San, there, but I am not sure, neither have I confirmed. It is a single DD, LCP diaphragm. To my ears it is one of the best all-rounder iem. I also compared it to Softears RSV and found the MIROAK-S superior. Yeah, RSV had a bit bigger note in the midrange and fatter midbass slam, but that was all. MIROAK-S sounded more airy, with a fuller subbass and more controlled yet punchy midbass, slightly smaller midrange note, but still quite realistic and airy with plenty of details, and, in comparison to RSV, a brilliant treble with sufficient energy and extension. Now, it is a balanced iem, so neither the treble pierces or sparkles with over the top brightness, nor does the bass slams thunderously. However, the complete sound is so much matured that I really have yet to find anything better than this around $400. Its list price is $420, but if you buy B-Stock, it can be availed for much less. Contact him via instagram to find out B-stock availability and price.
I have heard the Dunu Vulkan also, and from memory, I could not find it being anything special. The midrange did not sound engaging enough, the top end sounded rather dull, and the low end was also a bit controlled.

Now, let's say you want a solid option at around $200. Again, balanced, but still dynamic sounding. No peaks, but enough sparkles and bites in the notes, full sounding bass and yet slightly controlled, open and spacious presentation...I give you Hiby Lasya. I have reviewed BQEYZ Autumn, Moondrop Kato, 7Hertz Timeless, See Audio Bravery...and absolutely nothing comes close to it in regard to holistic performance. Yeah, KATO and Timeless might sound more detailed thanks to their sharper notes, but if you give the time you will find Lasya has all those details as well, just not immediately jumping at you like them. Lasya feels more matured, refined, and complete. @gadgetgod can attest to that. I have not heard BQEYZ Winter, so I am not sure how that holds up to Lasya. @gadgetgod has listened to both, he might provide you with more details.

In case you decide to go with Lasya, you will still have some cash left. Let's take something with a different presentation - with more bites, more sparkles, more transparency. You can take either Penon Vortex, if you love fuller and bigger and highly textured notes, fast and punchy bass, and intimate soundstage. Or you can take MEAOES Eagle, if you want a vastly spacious sound, lots more energy and sparkle in the top end, highly transparent midrange, although slightly leaner notes, and a slightly more powerful low end but still controlled.

If you are taking both the Hiby Lasya and Penon Vortex / MEAOES Eagle, you will still have some cash left. Get a Shanling UA3. It's marvelous! The high end gets a bit controlled, but the low end is fuller sounding, and the stage has a very nice depth added - elevating the imaging noticeably.

There you go, my 5 cents :wink:
You always provide a new perspective and that’s what discovery thread is dedicated for, love that info👍

Dec 13, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #68,835 of 101,617
Anotherday another DD iem, but it cost 283$! Link
Intonation Acoustic "no name" with titanium dome DD and changable filter
From what i see in the comment, it seems like a smooth bassboosted neutral iem
1670909199579.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back