The discovery thread!
Dec 12, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #68,776 of 101,616
Got to try Dunu Talos and Hexa today for a few hours, only had my H30 with me to compare. I really need to be at home to get a good grasp of everything.

Understand the love for HEXA its very right sounding. A little lean, I prefer a tad more sub and mid bass, but very good sub bass extension. Some BA timbre perhaps.

Dunu Talos I really liked, bear in mind its the first planar IEM I try. Liked the tonality, it was fun specially with doom metal. Might have to borrow this for a longer time or get my own set. Didn't like the switch so it was turned off.

Details ---- unsure to short time

BASS ----> H30 ----> Talos ---->HEXA
MIDS ---> H30 ---->HEXA ----> Talos
HIGHS ---> Talos ----> HEXA ----> H30
Value --->HEXA ----> H30 ----> Talos

HEXA don't fit into my collection, but if I were new in IEMs I would have picked it up. I bet HEXA is going to be a IEM many is going to compare stuff to over time.
I wish I had heard one of the the other planar to compare, the KZ is right around the corner for me. Will start there then maybe get Talos or the new Heyday.

Still take all this with moderation, only had maybe 2 hours using my entry level DAP and no desktop gear.

Dec 12, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #68,777 of 101,616
Got to try Dunu Talos and Hexa today for a few hours, only had my H30 with me to compare. I really need to be at home to get a good grasp of everything.

Understand the love for HEXA its very right sounding. A little lean, I prefer a tad more sub and mid bass, but very good sub bass extension. Some BA timbre perhaps.

Dunu Talos I really liked, bear in mind its the first planar IEM I try. Liked the tonality, it was fun specially with doom metal. Might have to borrow this for a longer time or get my own set. Didn't like the switch so it was turned off.

Details ---- unsure to short time

BASS ----> H30 ----> Talos ---->HEXA
MIDS ---> H30 ---->HEXA ----> Talos
HIGHS ---> Talos ----> HEXA ----> H30
Value --->HEXA ----> H30 ----> Talos

HEXA don't fit into my collection, but if I were new in IEMs I would have picked it up. I bet HEXA is going to be a IEM many is going to compare stuff to over time.
I wish I had heard one of the the other planar to compare, the KZ is right around the corner for me. Will start there then maybe get Talos or the new Heyday.

Still take all this with moderation, only had maybe 2 hours using my entry level DAP and no desktop gear.
Agree the bass floor of HEXA is a little bit too subtle, even to my preference it is. So I used bass-lift cable to increase the quantity then used SpinFit W1(it has internal acoustic chamber to tune resonance) to have Bass to go thru an echo camber with good vibe as a final product.

Dec 12, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #68,778 of 101,616
1670871115298.png

Paiaudio PLIISEN727 6BA+1DD Hybrid 2pin 0.78mm HiFi In-Ear Earphones Audiophile IEMs

Specification

Brand Paiaudio
Model: PLIISEN727
Driver: 4 mid frequency balanced armature & 2 high frequency balanced armature + 1 custom 10mm CNT diaphragms dynamic driver
Handmade, resin cavity
Impedance: 12Ω±5%
Sensitivity: 110±3dB
Frequency range: 20-20000Hz
Plug: 3.5mm straight plug
Cable Length: 1.3m
Connector: 2pin 0.78mm
Color: Yellow mixed / Purple mixed (The color or grain of each pair of earphones will not be exactly the same, because each stable wood was cutting from the whole piece of wood, especially the mixed colors.)

New listing on Penon site. Lots of BAs on tap with a CNT dynamic for bass. 4BAs doing the mids. Interesting.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #68,780 of 101,616
1670871115298.png

Paiaudio PLIISEN727 6BA+1DD Hybrid 2pin 0.78mm HiFi In-Ear Earphones Audiophile IEMs

Specification

Brand Paiaudio
Model: PLIISEN727
Driver: 4 mid frequency balanced armature & 2 high frequency balanced armature + 1 custom 10mm CNT diaphragms dynamic driver
Handmade, resin cavity
Impedance: 12Ω±5%
Sensitivity: 110±3dB
Frequency range: 20-20000Hz
Plug: 3.5mm straight plug
Cable Length: 1.3m
Connector: 2pin 0.78mm
Color: Yellow mixed / Purple mixed (The color or grain of each pair of earphones will not be exactly the same, because each stable wood was cutting from the whole piece of wood, especially the mixed colors.)

New listing on Penon site. Lots of BAs on tap with a CNT dynamic for bass. 4BAs doing the mids. Interesting,
Any reviews on these?

Dec 12, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #68,782 of 101,616
1670872409794.png

New Reecho update on the basshead SG-03.
Reecho SG-03s LCP Diaphragm Dynamic Driver 2Pin 0.78mm Metal In-ear Earphone
Description
Based on the SG-03 comprehensive upgrade, bring different responses to the sound experience

High-end imported LCP diaphragm driver
All-metal acoustic earphone housing
260 core high purity 5N Oxygen free Copper silver-plated wires
Full "core" power, high-end imported LCP diaphragm
The new high-end flagship SG-03s took 2 years to build, using professional imported LCP diaphragm dynamic driver, bringing rich details and unparalleled wide sound field. Low frequency deep dive to the bottom, the power surging, the middle frequency is sweet and moving, the high frequency is delicate and smooth, like the sound of nature.
New design, all metal acoustic earphone housing
A new generation of industry design, highlighting hard lines, full display of high-end charm. The selection of metal as the resonator can effectively reduce the resonance of the cavity and bring a more perfect sound experience.
Solitary ingenuity of the appearance of craft
Metal plating process brings beautiful texture, every detail of excellence, so that you become the focus of attention.
Voice good partner
SG-03s is standard equipped with Reecho flagship cable MW-03, 130 pieces of single strand, 2 strands of 260 cores of high purity 5N oxygen free copper silver-plated cable. The higher transmission efficiency brings the overall increase of information, so that SG-03s show the best state.
Ergonomic design, private model experience
Use professional ergonomic design, wear more intimate.
Delicate professional tuning, balanced and comprehensive tuning
By professional designers carefully tune, only to bring brilliant sound.
A wealth of accessories
By default, three sets of Reecho acoustic professional earphone sets are standard to experience different sound play. High-quality leather storage box brings all-round good protection.
Specification
Model: SG-03s
Driver: 10mm N52 LCP diaphragm dynamic driver
Wire material: 260 high purity 5N Oxygen-free Copper silver-plated wires
Frequency response: 20-20kHz
Impedance: 35Ω
Sensitivity: 109±2dB
Distortion: ≤1.5%
Balance: -0.02dB
Cable plug: 3.5mm audio gold-plated straight plug

Dec 12, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #68,784 of 101,616
Penon listed this item as of this morning so not yet, price is listed at $259. I have no experience with this brand. Anyone try this brand?
If I didn’t had Tea… that quad-mid must be juicy if Sonion is used..😳 Fair offer for 260. Someone will try it with that offer for sure.

Dec 12, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #68,785 of 101,616
I am looking at Kiwi Ears Cadenza, Truthear Hexa, and Dunu Kima. The Yume 2 and Tea 2 are also of interest. Given I am interested in all-around performance anyone think I would be disappointed with these choices.
I’ve yet to come across an IEM without a sore thumb but the Cadenza is really great for the price, just a bit of bass bleed but doesn’t suffer from a big dip in the treble.

Dec 12, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #68,786 of 101,616
I am looking at Kiwi Ears Cadenza, Truthear Hexa, and Dunu Kima. The Yume 2 and Tea 2 are also of interest. Given I am interested in all-around performance anyone think I would be disappointed with these choices.
Cadenza is not all rounder to my impression. It’s good for simple compositions acoustics, duo trio, not quartet or quintet.
Digitally mixed tracks on Cadenza is just your average single dynamic could reach.

If you are buying Tripowin Mele for $50, Cadenza is par with Mele. But not more than that.

Here is Cadenza short review
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-discovery-thread.586909/post-17272470

For Kima, I have one report from Japan mentioned it could be harsh and does sound V-shaped to him. YMMV, so it’s just one side note. CNT driver with little peak to my experience will bring a sharp edge if the peak spot hit above your gain tolerance threshold

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #68,789 of 101,616
I'd consider a planar if you don't already have one. They offer amazing performance for the price. :L3000:

Dec 12, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #68,790 of 101,616
Penon listed this item as of this morning so not yet, price is listed at $259. I have no experience with this brand. Anyone try this brand?

I own a pair of their earbuds that are worth like $20 that Penon included in an order as a sorry for shipping taking so long. They're nothing special, but they're also not bad. I'm not sure how that translates to a hybrid IEM worth 10+ times more, but that's all that I own from them lol! 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back